Contact information of Elsevier
Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Access and download statisticsTop item:
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help
correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
October 1994, Volume 22, Issue 10
September 1994, Volume 22, Issue 9
- 1253-1268 Participatory rural appraisal (PRA): Analysis of experience
by Chambers, Robert
- 1269-1293 Where do high growth political economies come from? The Japanese lineage of Korea's "developmental state"
by Kohli, Atul
- 1295-1312 Political change and the welfare state: The case of health and food policies in Mexico (1970-1993)
by Brachet-Marquez, Viviane & Sherraden, Margaret Sherrard
- 1313-1323 Privatization in Latin America: Lessons for transitional Europe
by Shirley, Mary M.
- 1325-1343 Returns to investment in education: A global update
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 1345-1361 Has the green revolution been sustained? The quantitative impact of the seed-fertilizer revolution in Pakistan revisited
by Byerlee, Derek & Siddiq, Akmal
- 1363-1377 Managing for success: Lessons from Asian development programs
by Jain, Pankaj S.
- 1379-1392 Export promotion in a regional context: Central America and Southern Africa
by Hamilton, Nora & Thompson, Carol
- 1393-1411 The informal sector and the macroeconomy: A computable general equilibrium approach for Peru
by Kelley, Bruce
- 1413-1424 Testing the causes of discontinuities in the black market exchange rate in China
by Yin, Jason Z. & Stoever, William A.
- 1425-1436 Why visiting sociologists fail
by Dore, Ronald
August 1994, Volume 22, Issue 8
- 1103-1104 Preface
by Drabek, Anne Gordon
- 1105-1117 Fiscal deficits, output growth and inflation targets in Ghana
by Sowa, Nii Kwaku
- 1119-1128 Fiscal adjustment and growth in Cote d'Ivoire
by Kouassy, Oussou & Bohoun, Bouabre
- 1129-1146 Fiscal federalism: Nigeria's post-independence experience, 1960-90
by Ekpo, Akpan H.
- 1147-1160 Evaluating the net gains from the CFA Franc Zone membership: A different perspective
by Allechi, M'Bet & Niamkey, Madeleine A.
- 1161-1173 Trade and payments regime and the balance of payments in Ghana
by Jebuni, C. D. & Oduro, A. D. & Tutu, K. A.
- 1175-1182 Relative price effects of exchange rate depreciation in Nigeria under fixed and fixed/flexible mark-up pricing regimes
by Olu Ajakaiye, D. & Ojowu, Ode
- 1183-1198 Exchange rate unification and economic development: The case of Uganda, 1987-92
by Kasekende, L. & Ssemogerere, G.
- 1199-1210 Characteristics of the savings-investment process in Nigeria
by Soyibo, Adedoyin
- 1211-1221 Private investment under uncertainty in Ghana
by Aryeetey, Ernest
- 1223-1242 Assessing and managing external debt problems in Nigeria
by Raheem, Mufutau Iyiola
- 1243-1251 The structure and policy implications of a macroeconomic model of Ghana
by Dordunoo, Cletus K.
July 1994, Volume 22, Issue 7
- 953-969 The origins and practice of participatory rural appraisal
by Chambers, Robert
- 971-981 Questioning the call for environmental loans: A critical examination of forestry lending in the Philippines
by Korten, Frances F.
- 983-995 Poverty reduction through geographic targeting: How well does it work?
by Baker, Judy L. & Grosh, Margaret E.
- 997-1010 Malthus controverted: The role of capital and technology in growth and environment recovery in Kenya
by Tiffen, Mary & Mortimore, Michael
- 1011-1030 Economic returns to social power: Merchants' finance and interlinkage in the grain markets of Bangladesh
by Crow, Ben & Murshid, K. A. S.
- 1031-1044 Demographic behavior and poverty: Micro-level evidence from Southern Sudan
by Cohen, Barney & House, William J.
- 1045-1059 Policy lessons from Lao and Hmong women in Thai refugee camps
by Cha, Dia & Small, Cathy A.
- 1061-1071 "Missing women" reconsidered
by Klasen, Stephan
- 1073-1082 Discrimination against women in formal credit markets: Reality or rhetoric?
by Baydas, Mayada M. & Meyer, Richard L. & Aguilera-Alfred, Nelson
- 1083-1096 A tale of two enterprises: Swaziland's lessons for privatization
by Sonko, Karamo N. M.
- 1097-1102 Intellectual origins of Indian economic reform: A review of Jagdish Bhagwati's India in transition: Freeing the economy (1993)
by Khatkhate, Deena
June 1994, Volume 22, Issue 6
- 811-822 The poor and the environment: Friends or foes?
by Broad, Robin
- 823-838 Impacts on rural poverty of land-based targeting: Further results for Bangladesh
by Ravallion, Martin & Sen, Binayak
- 839-857 Village labor markets in Sheikan district, Sudan
by Kevane, Michael
- 859-875 Building human resources and women's capabilities in Afghanistan: A retrospect and prospects
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
- 877-888 Institutional barriers to policy reform in Egypt: The case of the agricultural machinery industry
by Kerr, John M.
- 889-910 Industrial districts in Europe: Policy lessons for developing countries?
by Schmitz, Hubert & Musyck, Bernard
- 911-923 Peru's return toward an open economy: Macroeconomic complications and structural questions
by Sheahan, John
- 925-934 State-owned enterprise reform through performance contracts: The Bolivian experiment
by Mallon, Richard D.
- 935-947 State policy and rural resource allocation in China as seen through a Hebei province township, 1970-1985
by Wiemer, Calla
May 1994, Volume 22, Issue 5
- 1-1 A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica
by Rodriguez, Adrian G. & Smith, Stephen M.
- 671-689 Changing the economics of environmental degradation in Madagascar: Lessons from the national environmental action plan process
by Larson, Bruce A.
- 691-706 Why are farms so small?
by Johnson, Nancy L. & Ruttan, Vernon W.
- 707-719 From rags to riches: The impact of rural development on women's status in an Indian village
by Vlassoff, Carol
- 721-735 Penny capitalism: Efficient but poor or inefficient and (less than) second best?
by Schweigert, Thomas
- 737-753 Brazilian privatization in the 1990s
by Pinheiro, Armando Castelar & Giambiagi, Fabio
- 755-769 The impact of new technologies on scale in manufacturing industries: Issues and evidence
by Alcorta, Ludovico
- 771-780 Catching up or falling behind: Patterns in international interfirm technology partnering
by Freeman, Chris & Hagedoorn, John
- 781-794 Import substitution and export-led growth: A study of Taiwan's petrochemical industry
by Chu, Wan-Wen
- 795-801 Exchange rate variability and imports in WAMU countries: Is this relationship relevant?
by Assane, Djeto & Konan, Abel
- 803-805 A reply to Assane and Konan
by Medhora, Rohinton
- 807-810 Decentralization, participation and spatial equity in rural tanzania: A comment
by Semboja, Joseph & Therkildsen, Ole
April 1994, Volume 22, Issue 4
- 483-500 Political liberation and economic policy reform in Africa
by Van De Walle, Nicolas
- 501-516 Convergence and divergence in the informal sector debate: A focus on Latin America, 1984-92
by Rakowski, Cathy A.
- 517-533 Issues of state and market: From interventionism to deregulation of food markets in Nicaragua
by Spoor, Max
- 535-542 Macroeconomic management and the division of powers in Brazil: Perspectives for the 1990s
by Bomfim, Antulio & Shah, Anwar
- 543-553 Women's income and boy-girl anthropometric status in the Cote d'Ivoire
by Haddad, Lawrence & Hoddinott, John
- 555-565 Poor women's participation in income-generating projects and their fertility regulation in rural Bangladesh: Evidence from a recent survey
by Amin, Ruhul & Ahmed, A. U. & Chowdhury, J. & Ahmed, M.
- 567-578 The measurement of inequality and poverty: A policy maker's guide to the literature
by Blackwood, D. L. & Lynch, R. G.
- 579-586 Budgetary policy and political liberty: A cross-sectional analysis
by Habibi, Nader
- 587-599 Trade strategy and revealed trade bias: An evaluation for a small industrializing economy
by Milner, Chris
- 601-613 Chinese urbanization and development before and after economic reform: A comparative reappraisal
by Chang, Kyung-Sup
- 615-625 The East Asian miracle: An introduction
by Page, John M.
- 627-633 Why isn't the whole world experimenting with the East Asian model to develop?: Review of the East Asian miracle
by Amsden, Alice H.
- 635-644 The East Asia challenge to neoclassical orthodoxy
by Kwon, Jene
- 645-654 The East Asian miracle: Does the bell toll for industrial strategy?
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 655-661 There are at least three models of East Asian development
by Perkins, Dwight H.
- 663-670 Anything new in the miracle report? Yes and no
by Yanagihara, Toru
March 1994, Volume 22, Issue 3
- 285-299 Monetary integration in Africa: A deliberately European perspective
by Cobham, David & Robson, Peter
- 301-313 Innovation in rural finance: Indonesia's Badan Kredit Kecamatan program
by Riedinger, Jeffrey M.
- 315-322 Modernization of financial markets: An analysis of informal credit markets in prewar Japan
by Teranishi, Juro
- 323-335 Cartels in an "Nth-Best" world: The wholesale foodstuff trade in Ibadan, Nigeria
by Smith, Harlan II & Luttrell, Margaret E.
- 337-353 From mass production to flexible specialization: A case study of microeconomic change in a semi-industrialized economy
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 355-368 Are institutions or economic rents responsible for interindustry wage differentials?
by Morrison, Andrew R.
- 369-380 Unskilled urban migrant women and disguised employment: Home-working women in Istanbul, Turkey
by Cinar, E. Mine
- 381-397 A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica
by Rodriguez, Adrian G. & Smith, Stephen M.
- 399-411 Managing adjustment costs, political authority, and the implementation of adjustment programs, with special reference to African countries
by Johnson, Omotunde E. G.
- 413-422 The successful developmental state: Where does it come from?
by Grabowski, Richard
- 423-425 Introduction
by Lewis, Peter M.
- 427-436 The politics of profit in Tunisia: Utility of the rentier paradigm?
by Bellin, Eva
- 437-451 Economic statism, private capital, and the dilemmas of accumulation in Nigeria
by Lewis, Peter M.
- 453-467 Trade, taxes, and tribute: Market liberalizations and the new importers in West Africa
by Boone, Catherine
- 469-482 The failed Africanization of commerce and industry in Kenya
by Himbara, David
February 1994, Volume 22, Issue 2
- 129-143 Is the iron law of oligarchy rusting away in the Third World?
by Fisher, Julie
- 145-158 Economic and ecological perspectives on ranching in the Eastern Amazon
by Mattos, Marli Maria & Uhl, Christopher
- 159-173 Food security strategies under extremely adverse conditions: The determinants of household income and consumption in rural Mozambique
by Tschirley, David L. & Weber, Michael T.
- 175-187 Egalitarianism, subsistence provision, and work incentives in China's agricultural collectives
by Kung, James Kaising
- 189-199 Market-based early warning indicators of famine for the pastoral households of the Sahel
by Khan, M. Mahmud
- 201-213 Recent experience with commercial bank debt reduction: Has the "menu" outdone the market?
by Claessens, Stijn & Diwan, Ishac
- 215-223 Inflation and the demand for money in developing countries
by Honohan, Patrick
- 225-236 Management systems as technology: Japanese, US and national firms in the Brazilian electronic sector
by Bos, Antonio & Cole, William E.
- 237-250 Treasure islands or fool's gold: Can and should small island economies copy Jersey?
by Hampton, Mark P.
- 251-251 Preface
by Standing, Guy
- 253-260 Employment restructuring in Russian industry
by Standing, Guy
- 261-270 Labor market implications of "privatization" in Russian industry in 1992
by Standing, Guy
- 271-283 The changing position of women in Russian industry: Prospects of marginalization
by Standing, Guy
January 1994, Volume 22, Issue 1
- 1-9 The management of risk: Informal trade in Indonesia
by Evers, Hans-Dieter & Mehmet, Ozay
- 11-26 Industrial policy reform in six large newly industrializing countries: The resource curse thesis
by Auty, Richard M.
- 27-44 Japanese maquiladoras: Production organization and global commodity chains
by Kenney, Martin & Florida, Richard
- 45-53 Location-specific advantages and manufacturing direct foreign investment in South China
by Zhang, Le-Yin
- 55-70 Herbicide use in Asian rice production
by Naylor, Rosamond
- 71-83 Water markets, market reform and the urban poor: Results from Jakarta, Indonesia
by Crane, Randall
- 85-98 Balancing the budget with implicit domestic default: The case of Brazil in the 1980s
by Tanner, Evan
- 99-113 Empirical results of aid motivations: Australia's bilateral aid program
by Gounder, Rukmani
- 115-128 The real exchange rate conundrum: The case of Central America
by Fleissig, Adrian & Grennes, Thomas
December 1993, Volume 21, Issue 12
- 1895-1912 Economic liberalization, political pluralism and business associations in developing countries
by Moore, Mick & Hamalai, Ladi
- 1913-1930 Thinking strategically about development: A typology of action programs for global change
by Morgan, Elizabeth A. & Power, Grant D. & Weigel, Van B.
- 1931-1945 Toward a global effort to protect the earth's biological diversity
by Tobey, James A.
- 1947-1963 Doing what comes naturally? Women and environment in development
by Jackson, Cecile
- 1965-1980 Silences speak louder than claims: Gender, household, and agricultural development in Southern Africa
by Geisler, Gisela
- 1981-1988 Liberalization and privatization in Tanzania and Zambia
by Due, Jean M.
- 1989-2001 South-south technology transfer: The case of China's Kpatawee rice project in Liberia
by Brautigam, Deborah
- 2003-2016 Invisible hands, indigenous knowledge and inevitable fads: Challenges to public sector agricultural research in Ghana
by Tripp, Robert
- 2017-2028 Is Africa different?
by Conway, Patrick & Greene, Joshua
- 2029-2038 Political economy, growth and convergence in less-developed countries
by Chatterji, Monojit & Gilmore, Brian & Strunk, Kurt & Vanasin, Jon
- 2039-2054 Economic independence through protection? Emerging contradictions in India's small-scale sector
by Guhathakurta, Subhrajit
- 2055-2058 A comment on "the IMF, the World Bank and Africa's adjusment and extenal debt problems: An unofficial view"
by Husain, Ishrat
- 2059-2063 A reply
by Helleiner, G. K.
November 1993, Volume 21, Issue 11
- 1715-1728 Rural household transport in Africa: Reducing the burden on women?
by Bryceson, Deborah Fahy & Howe, John
- 1729-1748 Environmental issues and economic decisions in developing countries
by Munasinghe, Mohan
- 1749-1771 The economic rationale for investing in nutrition in developing countries
by Behrman, Jere R.
- 1773-1786 Development approaches and the role of policy advocacy: The case of the World Bank
by Kardam, Nuket
- 1787-1801 "Twenty-five years of Economic Development" revisited
by Rock, Michael T.
- 1803-1821 The meaning of development: Interactions between "new" and "old" ideas
by Ingham, Barbara
- 1823-1835 The postsocialist transitions in comparative perspective: Policy issues and recent experience
by Solimano, Andres
- 1837-1849 Promoting participation in irrigation: Reflections on experience in Southeast Asia
by Bruns, Bryan
- 1851-1865 Export Processing Zones in the Dominican Republic: Transforming manufactures into commodities
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 1867-1881 Financial liberalization in Africa
by Seck, Diery & El Nil, Yasim H.
- 1883-1893 Currency substitution: The recent experience of Bolivia
by Clements, Benedict & Schwartz, Gerd
October 1993, Volume 21, Issue 10
- 1567-1582 Tales of dissemination in small-farm agriculture: Lessons for institution builders
by Tendler, Judith
- 1583-1606 Has recovery begun? "Africa's adjustment in the 1980s" revisited
by Mosley, Paul & Weeks, John
- 1607-1613 Manufactured exports from developing countries and their terms of trade: A reexamination of the Sarkar-Singer results
by Athukorala, Premachandra
- 1615-1616 Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965: A comment
by Bleaney, Michael F.
- 1617-1620 Manufacture--manufacture terms of trade deterioration: A reply
by Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W.
- 1621-1631 External disturbances, domestic policy responses and debt accumulation in Nigeria
by Nyatepe-Coo, Akorlie A.
- 1633-1646 An approach to poverty alleviation for large international development agencies
by Clements, Paul
- 1647-1658 Panterritorial versus regional pricing for maize in Zimbabwe
by Masters, William A. & Nuppenau, Ernst-August
- 1659-1675 Soil erosion and labor shortages in the Andes with special reference to Bolivia, 1953ndash;1991: Implications for "conservation-with-development"
by Zimmerer, Karl S.
- 1677-1684 The nonprice determinants of export success or failure: The Egyptian ready-made garment industry, 1975-1989
by Abdel-Latif, Abla M.
- 1685-1697 Public sector banking, efficiency and economic growth in India
by Ketkar, Kusum W.
- 1699-1708 Nongovernmental organizations and the cultural development perspective in Thailand: A comment on Rigg (1991)
by Hewison, Kevin
- 1709-1713 A reply to Kevin Hewison
by Rigg, Jonathan
September 1993, Volume 21, Issue 9
- 1395-1404 Structural adjustment as a policy process: The case of Tanzania
by Hyden, Goran & Karlstrom, Bo
- 1405-1416 Development's deaf ear: Downstream users and water releases from the Bakolori Dam, Nigeria
by Adams, W. M.
- 1417-1434 Natural disaster situations and growth: A macroeconomic model for sudden disaster impacts
by Albala-Bertrand, J. M.
- 1435-1437 Measuring the effects of economic integration on third countries: A comment on Kreinin and Plummer
by Pomfret, Richard
- 1439-1439 A reply to Richard Pomfret's comment
by Kreinin, Mordechai E. & Plummer, Michael G.
- 1441-1445 Productivity in manufacturing as a determinant of growth: The Indian case
by Khatkhate, Deena
- 1447-1450 Editors' introduction
by Christiansen, Robert E. & Van Rooyen, Johan & Cooper, David
- 1451-1475 South African land policy: The legacy of history and current options
by Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus
- 1477-1494 Characteristics and performance of resettlement programs: A review
by Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P.
- 1495-1514 Agricultural marketing and pricing reform: A review of experience
by Duncan, Alex & Jones, Stephen
- 1515-1548 Creating rural livelihoods: Some lessons for South Africa from experience elsewhere
by Lipton, Michael & Lipton, Merle
- 1549-1566 Implementing strategies for the rural economy: Lessons from Zimbabwe, options for South Africa
by Christiansen, Robert E.
August 1993, Volume 21, Issue 8
- 1245-1261 Introduction: Some insights from Western social theory
by Whitehead, Laurence
- 1263-1269 A panoramic view of the rebirth of liberalisms
by Merquior, JoseGuilherme
- 1271-1280 Democracy and economic policy: Elective affinities and circumstantial conjunctures
by Gourevitch, Peter A.
- 1281-1298 Markets and states: Against minimalism
by Streeten, Paul
- 1299-1312 Liberalization and 'modern liberty': Four southern states
by Hawthorn, Geoffrey
- 1313-1328 T.H. Marshall, Jurgen Habermas, citizenship and transition in Eastern Europe
by Manning, Nick
- 1329-1336 Democracy and the "Washington consensus"
by Williamson, John
- 1337-1353 Economic reforms and cycles of state intervention
by Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos
- 1355-1369 On the state, democratization and some conceptual problems: A Latin American view with glances at some postcommunist countries
by O'Donnell, Guillermo
- 1371-1393 On "reform of the state" and "regulation of the market"
by Whitehead, Laurence
July 1993, Volume 21, Issue 7
- 1085-1100 Can land market reform mitigate the exclusionary aspects of rapid agro-export growth?
by Carter, Michael R. & Mesbah, Dina
- 1101-1121 The "new" internationalization of agriculture: A reformulation
by Raynolds, Laura T. & Myhre, David & McMichael, Philip & Carro-Figueroa, Viviana & Buttel, Frederick H.
- 1123-1138 Common property, equality, and development
by Quiggin, John
- 1139-1150 The role of nongovernmental organizations in agricultural research and technology transfer in Latin America
by Kaimowitz, David
- 1151-1161 Economic reform and political change in Myanmar (Burma)
by Cook, Paul & Minogue, Martin
- 1163-1178 Stabilization and recession in a transitional economy: The case of Poland
by Zukowski, Ryszard
- 1179-1189 Taxation in Niger: Problems and proposals
by Barlow, Robin & Snyder, Wayne
- 1191-1203 Domestic financial market and the trade liberalization outcome: Evidence from Sri Lanka
by Athukorala, Premachandra & Rajapatirana, Sarath
- 1205-1223 Urban self-employment in Kenya: Panacea or viable strategy?
by House, William J. & Ikiara, Gerrishon K. & McCormick, Dorothy
- 1225-1238 The diffusion of process innovations in industrialized and developing countries: A case study of the world textile and steel industries
by Lucke, Matthias
- 1239-1244 A note on the multilateral creditors and the debt crisis
by Culpeper, Roy
June 1993, Volume 21, Issue 6
- 883-899 Going to market: Economic organization and transformation in a Hungarian firm
by Young, S. David
- 901-923 Local government fiscal reform in developing countries: Lessons from Kenya
by Smoke, Paul
- 925-939 Formal and informal institutions in the labor market, with applications to the construction sector in Egypt
by Assaad, Ragui
- 941-961 One hundred million improved cookstoves in China: How was it done?
by Smith, Kirk R. & Shuhua, Gu & Kun, Huang & Daxiong, Qiu
- 963-973 The "five percent rule" for improved water service: Can households afford more?
by McPhail, Alexander A.
- 975-987 Maize milling, market reform and urban food security: The case of Zimbabwe
by Jayne, T. S. & Rubey, Lawrence
- 989-1005 The impact of financial autonomy on irrigation system performance in the Philippines
by Svendsen, Mark
- 1007-1021 Alternatives to coca production in Bolivia: A computable general equilibrium approach
by Gibson, Bill & Godoy, Ricardo
- 1023-1031 Purchasing power parity based on effective exchange rate and cointegration: 25 LDCs' experience with its absolute formulation
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen
- 1033-1034 Introduction
by Stein, Howard & Wilson, Ernest III
- 1035-1053 The political economy of Robert Bates: A critical reading of rational choice in Africa
by Stein, Howard & Wilson, Ernest III
- 1055-1062 Understanding agricultural policy in Africa: The contributions of Robert Bates
by Berry, Sara
- 1063-1076 Is "rational choice" the best choice for Robert Bates? An anthropologist's reading of Bates's work
by Peters, Pauline E.
- 1077-1081 A reply
by Bates, Robert H.
May 1993, Volume 21, Issue 5
- 691-704 Postimperialism and development in Thailand
by Doner, Richard F. & Ramsay, Ansil
- 705-719 Rural labor legislation and permanent agricultural employment in Northeastern Brazil
by Schaffner, Julie Anderson
- 721-731 The limits to informal financial intermediation
by Christensen, Garry
- 733-748 Household sanitation in Kumasi, Ghana: A description of current practices, attitudes, and perceptions
by Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Choe, Kyeongae & Hughes, Jeffrey A. & Swarna, Venkateswarlu & Wright, Albert M.
- 749-769 Liberalization and diversification in a small island economy: Fiji since the 1987 coups
by Elek, Andrew & Hill, Hal & Tabor, Steven R.
- 771-789 Irrigated rice culture in monsoon Asia: The search for an effective water control technology
by Burns, Robert E.
- 791-803 Land prices, land rents, and technological change: Evidence from Pakistan
by Renkow, Mitch