Building a BRIC? Stock Market Opening and Investment Finance in India since Liberalization
Portfolio equity inflows have been a feature of India’s improved growth performance in recent years. This study examines a possible connection through the equity financing of capital formation by manufacturing firms. Emphasis is placed on the funding preferences of owner-controlled enterprises with the empirical results connecting equity issues to the management of gearing and the availability of internal funds. This context suggests strongly that equity and debt are complementary choices, although two channels of influence—macroeconomic and allocative—combine to encourage investment spending, with pro-cyclical implications.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Markets, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth: An Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 223-39, May.
- Singh, Ajit, 1996.
"Financial liberalisation,stockmarkets and economic development,"
53897, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh, 1998. "Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 8(1), pages 165-182.
- Singh, Ajit, 1997. "Financial Liberalisation, Stockmarkets and Economic Development," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 771-82, May.
- Hiroko Oura, 2008. "Financial Development and Growth in India; A Growing Tiger in a Cage?," IMF Working Papers 08/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Singh, Ajit & Weisse, Bruce A., 1998.
"Emerging stock markets, portfolio capital flows and long-term economie growth: Micro and macroeconomic perspectives,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 607-622, April.
- Singh, A. & Weisse, B. A., 1998. "Emerging Stock Markets, Portfolio Capital Flows and Long-term Economic Growth: Micro and Macroeconomic Perspectives," Accounting and Finance Discussion Papers 98-af40, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Levine, Ross, 2005.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,
in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 865-934
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2011.
"Financial Openness and Productivity,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Shawn Cole & Esther Duflo, 2004. "Banking Reform in India," India Policy Forum, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 1(1), pages 277-332.
- Jay R. Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1795-1828, 08.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing and Allocations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm258, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2002.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations," NBER Working Papers 8805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poonam Gupta & Rana Hasan & Utsav Kumar, 2008.
"What Constrains Indian Manufacturing?,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22162, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1995. "Stock market development and firm financing choices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1461, The World Bank.
- Sean Dougherty & Richard Herd & Thomas Chalaux & Abdul Erumban, 2008. "India's Growth Pattern and Obstacles to Higher Growth," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 623, OECD Publishing.
- Dennis P. Quinn & A. Maria Toyoda, 2008. "Does Capital Account Liberalization Lead to�Growth?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1403-1449, May.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2001.
"International and domestic collateral constraints in a model of emerging market crises,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 513-548, December.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000. "International and Domestic Collateral Constraints in a Model of Emerging Market Crises," NBER Working Papers 7971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Steven M. Fazzari, 2000.
"Minsky and the Mainstream: Has Recent Research Rediscovered Financial Keynesianism,"
- Steven M. Fazzari, 1999. "Minsky and the Mainstream: Has Recent Research Rediscovered Financial Keynesianism?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_278, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:40:y:2012:i:6:p:1109-1121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.