Financial Liberalisation, Stockmarkets and Economic Development
Abstract During the 1980s and 1990s, many developing countries (DCs) have been engaged in far-reaching reforms of their financial systems, liberalising them and making them more market-oriented. This liberalisation, involving inter alia ‘financial de-repression’ has been inspired partly by the work of the McKinnon (1973) and Shaw (1973) [M-S] school. This paper suggests that, in addition to financial de-repression, there has been a major new element in the development of DC financial systems in recent years - the establishment and fast expansion of stockmarkets. These markets have played a key role in the internal as well as external financial liberalisation processes in leading DCs. Further, the paper finds that the actual behaviour of these markets in many countries has led to outcomes which undermine the effects of the higher real interest rates arising from 'financial de-repression'.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 107 (1997)
Issue (Month): 442 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, Rm E35, The Bute Building, Westburn Lane, St Andrews, KY16 9TS, UK|
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk/asp/journal.asp?ref=0013-0133|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corbett, Jennifer & Jenkinson, Tim, 1994. "The Financing of Industry, 1970-89: An International Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 948, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenji Kojima, 1994.
"An International Perspective on Japanese Corporate Finance,"
Kobe Economic & Business Review,
Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, vol. 39, pages 11-59.
- Kenji Kojima, 1994. "An International Perspective on Japanese Corporate Finance," Discussion Paper Series 45, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1986. "Inefficiencies from Financial Liberalization in the Absence of Well-Functioning Equity Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 191-99, May.
- Amsden, Alice H. & Euh, Yoon-Dae, 1993. "South Korea's 1980s financial reforms: Good-bye financial repression (maybe), hello new institutional restraints," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 379-390, March.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1994.
"A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the U.S,"
95-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1995. "A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the US," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 179-209, February.
- Atje, Raymond & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1993. "Stock markets and development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 632-640, April.
- John Mullin, 1993. "Emerging equity markets in the global economy," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 54-83.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1989. "Finance and Development: The Korean Approach," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 88-102, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecj:econjl:v:107:y:1997:i:442:p:771-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.