Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development
Abstract During the 1980s and 1990s, many developing countries (DCs) have been engaged in far-reaching reforms of their financial systems, liberalising them and making them more market-oriented. This liberalisation, involving inter alia ‘financial de-repression’ has been inspired partly by the work of the McKinnon (1973) and Shaw (1973) [M-S] school. This paper suggests that, in addition to financial de-repression, there has been a major new element in the development of DC financial systems in recent years - the establishment and fast expansion of stockmarkets. These markets have played a key role in the internal as well as external financial liberalisation processes in leading DCs. Further, the paper finds that the actual behaviour of these markets in many countries has led to outcomes which undermine the effects of the higher real interest rates arising from 'financial de-repression'.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 - Predio da FACE Belo Horizonte, 31270-901 Brazil|
Phone: +55 31 3409-7000
Web page: http://www.face.ufmg.br/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 - Predio da FACE Belo Horizonte, 31270-901 Brazil|
Web: http://www.face.ufmg.br/novaeconomia/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1986. "Inefficiencies from Financial Liberalization in the Absence of Well-Functioning Equity Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 191-99, May.
- Corbett, Jennifer & Jenkinson, Tim, 1994. "The Financing of Industry, 1970-89: An International Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 948, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Amsden, Alice H. & Euh, Yoon-Dae, 1993. "South Korea's 1980s financial reforms: Good-bye financial repression (maybe), hello new institutional restraints," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 379-390, March.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1995.
"A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the US,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 179-209, February.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1994. "A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the U.S," Working Papers 95-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Kenji Kojima, 1994.
"An International Perspective on Japanese Corporate Finance,"
Discussion Paper Series
45, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Kenji Kojima, 1994. "An International Perspective on Japanese Corporate Finance," Kobe Economic & Business Review, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, vol. 39, pages 11-59.
- John Mullin, 1993. "Emerging equity markets in the global economy," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 54-83.
- Atje, Raymond & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1993. "Stock markets and development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 632-640, April.
- Cho, Yoon Je, 1989. "Finance and Development: The Korean Approach," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 88-102, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nov:artigo:v:8:y:1998:i:1:p:165-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sibelle Diniz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.