Explorations in Economic History
2015, Volume 55, Issue C
- 3-24 Surnames: A new source for the history of social mobility
by Clark, Gregory & Cummins, Neil & Hao, Yu & Vidal, Dan Diaz
- 25-38 A tale of two Fascisms: Labour productivity growth and competition policy in Italy, 1911–1951
by Giordano, Claire & Giugliano, Ferdinando
- 39-57 Entry, information, and financial development: A century of competition between French banks and notaries
by Hoffman, Philip T. & Postel-Vinay, Gilles & Rosenthal, Jean-Laurent
- 58-75 India and the great divergence: An Anglo-Indian comparison of GDP per capita, 1600–1871
by Broadberry, Stephen & Custodis, Johann & Gupta, Bishnupriya
- 76-96 Immigration quotas, World War I, and emigrant flows from the United States in the early 20th century
by Greenwood, Michael J. & Ward, Zachary
- 97-121 Predicting the past: Understanding the causes of bank distress in the Netherlands in the 1920s
by Colvin, Christopher L. & de Jong, Abe & Fliers, Philip T.
2014, Volume 54, Issue C
- 1-26 The shaping of an institutional choice: Weather shocks, the Great Leap Famine, and agricultural decollectivization in China
by Bai, Ying & Kung, James Kai-sing
- 27-47 Housing and the cost of living in early modern Toledo
by Drelichman, Mauricio & González Agudo, David
- 48-63 Patenting in England, Scotland and Ireland during the Industrial Revolution, 1700–1852
by Bottomley, Sean
- 64-78 Hard times in the land of plenty: The effect on income and disability later in life for people born during the great depression
by Thomasson, Melissa A. & Fishback, Price V.
- 79-106 Latifundia revisited: Market power, land inequality and agricultural efficiency. Evidence from interwar Italian agriculture
by Martinelli, Pablo
- 107-127 Size and dynastic decline: The principal-agent problem in late imperial China, 1700–1850
by Sng, Tuan-Hwee
2014, Volume 53, Issue C
- 1-18 Exchange rate adjustment, monetary policy and fiscal stimulus in Japan's escape from the Great Depression
by Shibamoto, Masahiko & Shizume, Masato
- 19-39 Defying gravity: The Imperial Economic Conference and the reorientation of Canadian trade
by Jacks, David S.
- 40-63 Selective migration, wages, and occupational mobility in nineteenth century America
by Salisbury, Laura
- 64-82 Distinctively black names in the American past
by Cook, Lisa D. & Logan, Trevon D. & Parman, John M.
- 83-100 Labour productivity and human capital in the European maritime sector of the eighteenth century
by van Lottum, Jelle & van Zanden, Jan Luiten
- 101-119 Bank laws, economic growth and early banking in Latin America: 1840–1920
by Zegarra, Luis Felipe
2014, Volume 52, Issue C
- 1-21 The first global emerging markets investor: Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust 1880–1913
by Chambers, David & Esteves, Rui
- 22-43 Cross-sectional predictability of stock returns, evidence from the 19th century Brussels Stock Exchange (1873–1914)
by Annaert, Jan & Mensah, Lord
- 44-62 Local liquidity constraints: What place for central bank regional policy? The French experience during the Belle Époque (1880–1913)
by Bazot, Guillaume
- 63-92 Papers, please! The effect of birth registration on child labor and education in early 20th century USA
by Fagernäs, Sonja
- 93-110 The role of migration in regional wage convergence: Evidence from Sweden 1860–1940
by Enflo, Kerstin & Lundh, Christer & Prado, Svante
- 111-130 Measuring integration in the English wheat market, 1770–1820: New methods, new answers
by Brunt, Liam & Cannon, Edmund
2014, Volume 51, Issue C
- 1-20 Tax farming and the origins of state capacity in England and France
by Johnson, Noel D. & Koyama, Mark
- 21-40 Inherited vs self-made wealth: Theory & evidence from a rentier society (Paris 1872–1927)
by Piketty, Thomas & Postel-Vinay, Gilles & Rosenthal, Jean-Laurent
- 41-59 Economic growth in the Mid-Atlantic region: Conjectural estimates for 1720 to 1800
by Rosenbloom, Joshua L. & Weiss, Thomas
- 60-76 Regulating IPOs: Evidence from going public in London, 1900–1913
by Burhop, Carsten & Chambers, David & Cheffins, Brian
- 77-93 From internal taxes to national regulation: Evidence from a French wine tax reform at the turn of the twentieth century
by Franck, Raphaël & Johnson, Noel D. & Nye, John V.C.
- 94-108 The first poverty line? Davies' and Eden's investigation of rural poverty in the late 18th-century England
by Gazeley, Ian & Verdon, Nicola
2013, Volume 50, Issue 4
- 466-486 New deal or no deal in the Cotton South: The effect of the AAA on the agricultural labor structure
by Depew, Briggs & Fishback, Price V. & Rhode, Paul W.
- 487-507 Cementing the case for collusion under the National Recovery Administration
by Chicu, Mark & Vickers, Chris & Ziebarth, Nicolas L.
- 508-525 Does “skin in the game” reduce risk taking? Leverage, liability and the long-run consequences of new deal banking reforms
by Mitchener, Kris James & Richardson, Gary
- 526-547 The effects of reconstruction finance corporation assistance on Michigan's banks' survival in the 1930s
by Calomiris, Charles W. & Mason, Joseph R. & Weidenmier, Marc & Bobroff, Katherine
- 548-566 The New Deal and the origins of the modern American real estate loan contract
by Rose, Jonathan D. & Snowden, Kenneth A.
- 567-581 The effects of the Works Progress Administration's anti-malaria programs in Georgia 1932–1947
by Kitchens, Carl
- 582-598 The effect of institutional regime change within the new deal on industrial output and labor markets
by Taylor, Jason E. & Neumann, Todd C.
- 599-619 Why did the electorate swing between parties during the Great Depression?
by Fleck, Robert K.
- 620-633 Did the New Deal solidify the 1932 Democratic realignment?
by Kantor, Shawn & Fishback, Price V. & Wallis, John Joseph
2013, Volume 50, Issue 3
- 335-350 The price of human capital in a pre-industrial economy: Premiums and apprenticeship contracts in 18th century England
by Minns, Chris & Wallis, Patrick
- 351-367 Taking technology to task: The skill content of technological change in early twentieth century United States
by Gray, Rowena
- 368-386 Real estate prices in Beijing, 1644 to 1840
by Raff, Daniel & Wachter, Susan & Yan, Se
- 387-404 The internal impact of a customs union; Baden and the Zollverein
by Ploeckl, Florian
- 405-426 Men, women, and the ballot: Gender imbalances and suffrage extensions in the United States
by Braun, Sebastian & Kvasnicka, Michael
- 427-445 The French Great Depression: A business cycle accounting analysis
by Bridji, Slim
- 446-462 Silver fetters? The rise and fall of the Chinese price level 1928–34
by Ho, Tai-kuang & Lai, Cheng-chung
2013, Volume 50, Issue 2
- 161-178 Does the structure of banking markets affect economic growth? Evidence from U.S. state banking markets
by Mitchener, Kris James & Wheelock, David C.
- 179-204 Human development in Africa: A long-run perspective
by Prados de la Escosura, Leandro
- 205-226 Discount rate policy under the Classical Gold Standard: Core versus periphery (1870s–1914)
by Morys, Matthias
- 227-241 On the human capital of Inca Indios before and after the Spanish Conquest. Was there a “Pre-Colonial Legacy”?
by Juif, Dácil-Tania & Baten, Joerg
- 242-266 Under which conditions does religion affect educational outcomes?
by Boppart, Timo & Falkinger, Josef & Grossmann, Volker & Woitek, Ulrich & Wüthrich, Gabriela
- 267-284 Inequality and school funding in the rural United States, 1890
by Vollrath, Dietrich
- 285-307 Women, wealth and economic change: An assessment of the impact of women's property law in Wentworth County, Ontario, 1872–1927
by Di Matteo, Livio
- 308-315 Virtual prices and the impact of house rationing in Belgium on consumer choices
by Fleissig, Adrian R. & Whitney, Gerald
- 316-333 “Rubber will not keep in this country”: Failed development in Benin, 1897–1921
by Fenske, James
2013, Volume 50, Issue 1
- 4-15 1381 and the Malthus delusion
by Clark, Gregory
- 16-27 When did Britain industrialise? The sectoral distribution of the labour force and labour productivity in Britain, 1381–1851
by Broadberry, Stephen & Campbell, Bruce M.S. & van Leeuwen, Bas
- 28-45 The determinants of local population growth: A study of Oxfordshire in the nineteenth century
by Casson, Mark
- 46-68 Europe's many integrations: Geography and grain markets, 1620–1913
by Chilosi, David & Murphy, Tommy E. & Studer, Roman & Tunçer, A. Coşkun
- 69-87 Retail development in the consumer revolution: The Netherlands, c. 1670–c. 1815
by van den Heuvel, Danielle & Ogilvie, Sheilagh
- 88-98 Globalization revisited: Market integration and the wheat trade between North America and Britain from the eighteenth century
by Sharp, Paul & Weisdorf, Jacob
- 99-115 Real wages and the family: Adjusting real wages to changing demography in pre-modern England
by Schneider, Eric B.
- 116-147 Soviet power plus electrification: What is the long-run legacy of communism?
by Carlin, Wendy & Schaffer, Mark & Seabright, Paul
- 148-159 Beyond black and white: Color and mortality in post-reconstruction era North Carolina
by Green, Tiffany L. & Hamilton, Tod G.
2012, Volume 49, Issue 4
- 381-398 Agricultural policy, migration, and malaria in the United States in the 1930s
by Barreca, Alan I. & Fishback, Price V. & Kantor, Shawn
- 399-422 Deadly anchor: Gender bias under Russian colonization of Kazakhstan
by Aldashev, Gani & Guirkinger, Catherine
- 423-442 The price of Cherokee removal
by Gregg, Matthew T. & Wishart, David M.
- 443-460 When did modernization begin? Italy's industrial growth reconsidered in light of new value-added series, 1911–1951
by Felice, Emanuele & Carreras, Albert
- 461-481 The role of the media in a bubble
by Campbell, Gareth & Turner, John D. & Walker, Clive B.
- 482-497 Inequality of land tenure and revolutionary outcome: An economic analysis of China's land reform of 1946–1952
by Kung, James Kai-sing & Wu, Xiaogang & Wu, Yuxiao
- 498-515 “The people's will”: Canadians and the 1898 referendum on alcohol prohibition
by Dostie, Benoit & Dupré, Ruth
- 516-527 Was technological change in the early Industrial Revolution Schumpeterian? Evidence of cotton textile profitability
by Harley, C. Knick
- 528-542 Migration to U.S. frontier cities and job opportunity, 1860–1880
by Stewart, James I.
- 543-556 Monthly GDP estimates for inter-war Britain
by Mitchell, James & Solomou, Solomos & Weale, Martin
2012, Volume 49, Issue 3
- 277-290 Smallpox and Native American mortality: The 1780s epidemic in the Hudson Bay region
by Carlos, Ann M. & Lewis, Frank D.
- 291-302 Legacy, location, and labor: Accounting for racial differences in postbellum cotton production
by Canaday, Neil & Jaremski, Matthew
- 303-315 The international political economy of early modern copper mercantilism: Rent seeking and copper money in Sweden 1624–1776
by Edvinsson, Rodney
- 316-334 Good schools make good neighbors: Human capital spillovers in early 20th century agriculture
by Parman, John
- 335-351 America's settling down: How better jobs and falling immigration led to a rise in marriage, 1880–1930
by Cvrcek, Tomas
- 352-366 Myopia or strategic behavior? Indian regimes and the East India Company in late eighteenth century India
by Oak, Mandar & Swamy, Anand V.
- 367-379 Military service and economic mobility: Evidence from the American civil war
by Lee, Chulhee
2012, Volume 49, Issue 2
- 119-130 Persistent but not consistent: The growth of national income in Holland 1347–1807
by van Zanden, Jan Luiten & van Leeuwen, Bas
- 131-148 What lessons for economic development can we draw from the Champagne fairs?
by Edwards, Jeremy & Ogilvie, Sheilagh
- 149-166 Between conquest and independence: Real wages and demographic change in Spanish America, 1530–1820
by Arroyo Abad, Leticia & Davies, Elwyn & van Zanden, Jan Luiten
- 167-188 Taste-based discrimination evidence from a shift in ethnic preferences after WWI
by Moser, Petra
- 189-204 New Belgian Stock Market Returns: 1832–1914
by Annaert, Jan & Buelens, Frans & De Ceuster, Marc J.K.
- 205-220 Brain drain in the age of mass migration: Does relative inequality explain migrant selectivity?
by Stolz, Yvonne & Baten, Joerg
- 221-240 Big BRICs, weak foundations: The beginning of public elementary education in Brazil, Russia, India, and China
by Chaudhary, Latika & Musacchio, Aldo & Nafziger, Steven & Yan, Se
- 241-254 Exports, imports and growth
by Pistoresi, Barbara & Rinaldi, Alberto
- 255-275 The determinants of industrial location in Spain, 1856–1929
by Martinez-Galarraga, Julio
2012, Volume 49, Issue 1
- 1-16 Technology and the great divergence: Global economic development since 1820
by Allen, Robert C.
- 17-29 British relative economic decline revisited: The role of competition
by Crafts, Nicholas
- 30-59 Resisting the melting pot: The long term impact of maintaining identity for Franco-Americans in New England
by MacKinnon, Mary & Parent, Daniel
- 60-74 Korea's first industrial revolution, 1911–1940
by Cha, Myung Soo & Kim, Nak Nyeon
- 75-91 Myopic rationality in a Mania
by Campbell, Gareth
- 92-104 Citation success: Evidence from economic history journal publications
by Di Vaio, Gianfranco & Waldenström, Daniel & Weisdorf, Jacob
- 105-117 The balance-of-payments constraint on economic growth in a long-term perspective: Spain, 1850–2000
by Bajo-Rubio, Oscar
2011, Volume 48, Issue 4
- 445-460 Socioeconomic status in childhood and health after age 70: A new longitudinal analysis for the U.S., 1895–2005
by Ferrie, Joseph & Rolf, Karen
- 461-477 Female salaries and careers in British banking, 1915–41
by Seltzer, Andrew J.
- 478-493 Danger on the exchange: How counterparty risk was managed on the Paris exchange in the nineteenth century
by Riva, Angelo & White, Eugene N.
- 494-506 A short history of global inequality: The past two centuries
by Milanovic, Branko
- 507-518 Inventing social capital: Evidence from African American inventors, 1843–1930
by Cook, Lisa D.
- 519-537 Conflict and compromise: Changes in U.S. strike outcomes, 1880 to 1945
by Geraghty, Thomas M. & Wiseman, Thomas
- 538-555 Trends and cycles in regional economic growth
by Henning, Martin & Enflo, Kerstin & Andersson, Fredrik N.G.
- 556-567 Government decisions before and during the First World War and the living standards in Germany during a drastic natural experiment
by Blum, Matthias
- 568-589 Commercialization as exogenous shocks: The effect of the soybean trade and migration in Manchurian villages, 1895–1934
by Kung, James Kai-sing & Li, Nan
- 590-599 Measuring living standards from the lowest: Height of the male Hangryu deceased in colonial Korea
by Kim, Duol & Park, Heejin
- 600-613 Monetization and growth in colonial New England, 1703–1749
by Rousseau, Peter L. & Stroup, Caleb
2011, Volume 48, Issue 3
- 343-356 Socioeconomic inequalities in death from past to present: An introduction
by Bengtsson, Tommy & van Poppel, Frans
- 357-365 Long-term changes in social mortality differentials, Geneva, 1625-2004
by Schumacher, Reto & Oris, Michel
- 366-375 Socioeconomic conditions, health and mortality from birth to adulthood, Alghero 1866-1925
by Breschi, M. & Fornasin, A. & Manfredini, M. & Mazzoni, S. & Pozzi, L.
- 376-388 Wealth and health in 19th Century Sweden. A study of social differences in adult mortality in the Sundsvall region
by Edvinsson, Sören & Lindkvist, Marie
- 389-400 The late emergence of socioeconomic mortality differentials: A micro-level study of adult mortality in southern Sweden 1815-1968
by Bengtsson, Tommy & Dribe, Martin
- 401-417 Social class, social mobility and mortality in the Netherlands, 1850-2004
by Schenk, Niels & van Poppel, Frans
- 418-428 Inequality and infant and childhood mortality in the United States in the twentieth century
by Haines, Michael R.
- 429-440 Once were farmers: Occupation, social mobility, and mortality during industrialization in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, Quebec 1840-1971
by Gagnon, Alain & Tremblay, Marc & Vézina, Hélène & Seabrook, Jamie A.
- 441-443 Socioeconomic inequalities in death from past to present: A postscript
by Haines, Michael R. & Ferrie, Joseph P.
2011, Volume 48, Issue 2
- 151-168 Agricultural institutions, industrialization and growth: The case of New Zealand and Uruguay in 1870-1940
by Álvarez, Jorge & Bilancini, Ennio & D'Alessandro, Simone & Porcile, Gabriel
- 169-188 Labour market response to globalisation: Spain, 1880-1913
by Betrán, Concha & Pons, Maria A.
- 189-206 The life cycle of a metropolitan business network: Liverpool 1750-1810
by Haggerty, John & Haggerty, Sheryllynne
- 207-225 The health cost of living in a city: The case of France at the end of the 19th century
by Kesztenbaum, Lionel & Rosenthal, Jean-Laurent
- 226-242 National and international market integration in the 19th century: Evidence from comovement
by Uebele, Martin
- 243-271 The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective
by Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Thisse, Jacques-François & Toutain, Jean-Claude
- 272-291 The origins of Japanese technological modernization
by Nicholas, Tom
- 292-309 The Western European marriage pattern and economic development
by Foreman-Peck, James
- 310-324 Technological diffusion and the Union blockade
by Hetherington, Bruce W. & Kower, Peter J.
- 325-342 Airborne diseases: Tuberculosis in the Union Army
by Birchenall, Javier A.
2011, Volume 48, Issue 1
- 1-19 Serial defaults, serial profits: Returns to sovereign lending in Habsburg Spain, 1566-1600
by Drelichman, Mauricio & Voth, Hans-Joachim
- 20-36 Globalization, industrialization and urbanization in Pre-World War II Southeast Asia
by Huff, Gregg & Angeles, Luis
- 37-52 When and why did eastern European economies begin to fail? Lessons from a Czechoslovak/UK productivity comparison, 1921-1991
by Broadberry, Stephen & Klein, Alexander
- 53-65 The utility of a common coinage: Currency unions and the integration of money markets in late Medieval Central Europe
by Boerner, Lars & Volckart, Oliver
- 66-82 Fixed-rent contracts and investment incentives. A comparative analysis of English tenant right
by Garrido, Samuel
- 83-96 Income inequality in central Spain, 1690-1800
by Santiago-Caballero, Carlos
- 97-115 Bennet Woodcroft and the value of English patents, 1617-1841
by Nuvolari, Alessandro & Tartari, Valentina
- 116-135 The organization of Eastern merchant empires
by Rei, Claudia
- 136-149 Colonial taxation and government spending in British Africa, 1880-1940: Maximizing revenue or minimizing effort?
by Frankema, Ewout
2010, Volume 47, Issue 4
- 369-380 The effects of political fragmentation on investments: A case study of watermill construction in medieval Ponthieu, France
by der Beek, Karine van
- 381-402 Peasant communes and factor markets in late nineteenth-century Russia
by Nafziger, Steven
- 403-419 Monitoring, reputation and accountability in issuing banks in mid-nineteenth-century Spain
by Sánchez-Ballesta, Juan Pedro & Lloréns, Mercedes Bernal
- 420-442 Evading the 'Taint of Usury': The usury prohibition as a barrier to entry
by Koyama, Mark
- 443-459 Knowledge, natural resource abundance and economic development: Lessons from New Zealand 1861-1939
by Greasley, David & Oxley, Les
- 460-475 Was Malthus right? The relationship between population and real wages in Italian history, 1320 to 1870
by Chiarini, Bruno
- 476-486 Cities, hinterlands and agglomeration shadows: Spatial developments in Finland during 1880-2004
by Tervo, Hannu
- 487-504 Were British cotton entrepreneurs technologically backward? Firm-level evidence on the adoption of ring spinning
by Ciliberto, Federico
- 505-519 Fertility decline and the heights of children in Britain, 1886-1938
by Hatton, Timothy J. & Martin, Richard M.
- 520-532 Human capital and economic growth in Spain, 1850-2000
by Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R.
- 533-551 Why they moved -- Emigration from the Swedish countryside to the United States, 1881-1910
by Bohlin, Jan & Eurenius, Anna-Maria
2010, Volume 47, Issue 3
- 259-259 Preface
by Steckel, Richard H. & Leunig, Tim
- 260-263 Historical perspectives on Asian economic growth and development
by Broadberry, Stephen & Eng, Pierre van der
- 264-278 The historical roots of India's service-led development: A sectoral analysis of Anglo-Indian productivity differences, 1870-2000
by Broadberry, Stephen & Gupta, Bishnupriya
- 279-293 Taxation and educational development: Evidence from British India
by Chaudhary, Latika
- 294-309 The sources of long-term economic growth in Indonesia, 1880-2008
by van der Eng, Pierre
- 310-324 Unity or diversity? On the integration and efficiency of rice markets in Indonesia, c. 1920-2006
by Marks, Daan
- 325-346 Comparative output and labor productivity in manufacturing between China, Japan, Korea and the United States for ca. 1935 - A production-side PPP approach
by Yuan, Tangjun & Fukao, Kyoji & Wu, Harry X.
- 347-359 Evolution of living standards and human capital in China in the 18-20th centuries: Evidences from real wages, age-heaping, and anthropometrics
by Baten, Joerg & Ma, Debin & Morgan, Stephen & Wang, Qing
- 360-367 Explorations' contribution to the 'Asian Century'
by Wolcott, Susan
2010, Volume 47, Issue 2
- 127-141 Trade costs in the first wave of globalization
by Jacks, David S. & Meissner, Christopher M. & Novy, Dennis
- 142-157 Valuing medieval annuities: Were corrodies underpriced?
by Bell, Adrian & Sutcliffe, Charles
- 158-178 A global perspective on railway inefficiency and the rise of state ownership, 1880-1912
by Bogart, Dan
- 179-197 Electoral fraud, the rise of Peron and demise of checks and balances in Argentina
by Alston, Lee J. & Gallo, Andrés A.
- 198-212 Trends in office rents in the City of London: 1867-1959
by Devaney, Steven
- 213-227 Bills of exchange, interest bans, and impersonal exchange in Islam and Christianity
by Rubin, Jared
- 228-243 Was industrialization an escape from the commodity lottery? Evidence from Italy, 1861-1939
by Federico, Giovanni & Vasta, Michelangelo
- 244-257 The upswing of regional income inequality in Spain (1860-1930)
by Rosés, Joan Ramón & Martínez-Galarraga, Julio & Tirado, Daniel A.
2010, Volume 47, Issue 1
- 1-27 Welfare spending and mortality rates for the elderly before the Social Security era
by Stoian, Adrian & Fishback, Price
- 28-48 Fighting the forces of gravity - Seapower and maritime trade between the 18th and 20th centuries
by Rahman, Ahmed S.
- 49-67 The rise and fall of the sliding scale, or why wages are no longer indexed to product prices
by Hanes, Christopher
- 68-81 "Un-American" or unnecessary? America's rejection of compulsory government health insurance in the Progressive Era
by Emery, J.C. Herbert
- 82-99 Global trends in numeracy 1820-1949 and its implications for long-term growth
by Crayen, Dorothee & Baten, Joerg
- 100-111 Incentives and innovation? R&D management in Germany's chemical and electrical engineering industries around 1900
by Burhop, Carsten & Lübbers, Thorsten
- 112-125 Did firms cut nominal wages in a deflationary environment?: Micro-level evidence from the late 19th and early 20th century banking industry
by Seltzer, Andrew
2009, Volume 46, Issue 4
- 389-403 Roots of growth and productivity change in Dutch shipping industry, 1500-1800
by van Zanden, Jan Luiten & van Tielhof, Milja
- 404-417 Top incomes and earnings in Portugal 1936-2005
by Alvaredo, Facundo
- 418-435 Engels' pause: Technical change, capital accumulation, and inequality in the british industrial revolution
by Allen, Robert C.
- 436-449 Inequality and living standards under early communism: Anthropometric evidence from Czechoslovakia, 1946-1966
by Cvrcek, Tomas
- 450-463 Survival in 19th century cities: The larger the city, the smaller your chances
by Cain, Louis & Hong, Sok Chul
- 464-481 Corporate governance and incentive contracts: Historical evidence from a legal reform
by Bayer, Christian & Burhop, Carsten
2009, Volume 46, Issue 3
- 287-298 Criminal sentencing in 19th-century Pennsylvania
by Bodenhorn, Howard
- 299-313 A theory of the pre-modern British aristocracy
by Allen, Douglas W.
- 314-323 Japan's return to gold: Turning points in the value of the yen during the 1920s
by Grossman, Richard S. & Imai, Masami
- 324-345 Market Integration in the Golden Periphery. The Lisbon/London Exchange, 1854-1891
by Esteves, Rui Pedro & Reis, Jaime & Ferramosca, Fabiano
- 346-355 Long-run growth in the OECD: A test of the parallel growth paths hypothesis
by Landon-Lane, John S. & Robertson, Peter E.
- 356-367 The widow's offering: Inheritance, family structure, and the charitable gifts of women
by McGranahan, Leslie
- 368-387 Tracking down the business cycle: A dynamic factor model for Germany 1820-1913
by Sarferaz, Samad & Uebele, Martin
2009, Volume 46, Issue 2
- 169-185 Health, human capital, and African-American migration before 1910
by Logan, Trevon D.
- 186-202 Engel versus Baumol: Accounting for structural change using two centuries of U.S. data
by Dennis, Benjamin N. & Iscan, Talan B.
- 203-219 Share liquidity, participation, and growth of the Boston market for industrial equities, 1854-1897
by Rousseau, Peter L.
- 220-240 License to till: The privileges of the Spanish Mesta as a case of second-best institutions
by Drelichman, Mauricio
- 241-252 The in-hospital mortality rates of slaves and freemen: Evidence from Touro Infirmary, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1855-1860
by Pritchett, Jonathan & Yun, Myeong-Su
- 253-265 Do universal banks create value? Universal bank affiliation and company performance in Belgium, 1905-1909
by Overfelt, Wouter Van & Annaert, Jan & Ceuster, Marc De & Deloof, Marc
- 266-284 New evidence on the fluctuations in ocean freight rates in the 1850s
by Klovland, Jan Tore
- 285-285 Errata to ''The economics of market coordination for the pre-Fed check-clearing system: A peek into the Bloomington (IL) node'' [Explor. Econ. Hist. 45 (2008) 445-461]
by Chang, Howard H. & Danilevsky, Marina & Evans, David S. & Garcia-Swartz, Daniel D.
2009, Volume 46, Issue 1
- 1-23 Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions
by Steckel, Richard H.
- 24-52 The first 35 years of Soviet living standards: Secular growth and conjunctural crises in a time of famines
by Wheatcroft, Stephen G.
- 53-69 Stature and economic development in South China, 1810-1880
by Morgan, Stephen L.
- 70-92 Stature growth in industrializing Argentina: The Buenos Aires industrial belt 1916-1950
by Salvatore, Ricardo D.
- 93-119 Measuring misery: Body mass, ageing and gender inequality in Victorian London
by Horrell, Sara & Meredith, David & Oxley, Deborah
- 120-131 Was Dick Whittington taller than those he left behind? Anthropometric measures, migration and the quality of life in early nineteenth century London?
by Humphries, Jane & Leunig, Timothy
- 132-148 Tall and shrinking Muslims, short and growing Europeans: The long-run welfare development of the Middle East, 1850-1980
by Stegl, Mojgan & Baten, Joerg
- 149-159 Geography, insolation, and vitamin D in nineteenth century US African-American and white statures
by Carson, Scott Alan