The Rise of Large Farms in Land Abundant Countries: Do They Have a Future?
Resurgent interest in agriculture raises issues about agrarian structure and the balance between large and small farms that have thus far been addressed mainly from a smallholder angle. We identify economic and policy factors that contributed to episodes of large farm growth, their impact, and ways in which these may have changed recently. An analysis of recent land demand from large investors suggests that greater clarity in the definition of property rights, attention to employment effects and technical viability, and mechanisms to re-allocate land from unsuccessful ventures to more productive entrepreneurs will be critical to facilitate better developmental outcomes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svetlov, Nikolai M. & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2009. "Optimal Farm Size in Russian Agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51667, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1993.
"Characteristics and performance of settlement programs : a review,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1207, The World Bank.
- Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1993. "Characteristics and performance of resettlement programs: A review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1477-1494, September.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin & Bezemer, Dirk, 2007.
"Coordination risk and cost impacts on economic development in poor rural areas,"
7028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Dorward & Jonathan Kydd & Colin Poulton & Dirk Bezemer, 2009. "Coordination Risk and Cost Impacts on Economic Development in Poor Rural Areas," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 1093-1112, August.
- Hazell, Peter & Poulton, Colin & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: Trajectories and Policy Priorities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1349-1361, October.
- Perrier-Cornet, Philippe & Aubert, Magali, 2009.
"Is there a future for small farms in developed countries? Evidence from the French case,"
111th Seminar, June 26-27, 2009, Canterbury, UK
52855, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Magali Aubert & Philippe Perrier-Cornet, 2009. "Is there a future for small farms in developed countries? Evidence from the French case," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 797-806, November.
- Alain de Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2010. "Agricultural Growth and Poverty Reduction: Additional Evidence," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2009.
"Reforms, globalization, and endogenous agricultural structures,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 719-732, November.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Reforms, Globalization, and Endogenous Agricultural Structures," 111th Seminar, June 26-27, 2009, Canterbury, UK 52802, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-386, October.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Raddatz, Claudio, 2010.
"The composition of growth matters for poverty alleviation,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 137-151, September.
- Loayza, Norman V. & Raddatz, Claudio, 2006. "The composition of growth matters for poverty alleviation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4077, The World Bank.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1995.
"Power, distortions, revolt and reform in agricultural land relations,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 42, pages 2659-2772
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1993. "Power, distortions, revolt, and reform in agricultural land relations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1164, The World Bank.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-846, September.
- Conning, Jonathan H. & Robinson, James A., 2007.
"Property rights and the political organization of agriculture,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 416-447, March.
- Jonathan Conning & James A. Robinson, 2005. "Property Rights and the Political Organization of Agriculture," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 405, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Koester, Ulrich, 2007. "Super-large Farms: The Importance of Institutions," 102nd Seminar, May 17-18, 2007, Moscow, Russia 10018, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vollrath, Dietrich, 2008.
"The Dual Economy in Long-run Development,"
12293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Silke Huettel & Anne Margarian, 2009. "Structural change in the West German agricultural sector," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 759-772, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Nugent, Jeffrey B & Robinson, James A, 2002. "Are Endowments Fate?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3206, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayami, Yujiro, 2010. "Plantations Agriculture," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Helfand, Steven M., 2003.
"Farm Size And The Determinants Of Productive Efficiency In The Brazilian Center-West,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25890, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Helfand, Steven M. & Levine, Edward S., 2004. "Farm size and the determinants of productive efficiency in the Brazilian Center-West," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 241-249, December.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus, 1997.
"Explaining agricultural and agrarian policies in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1765, The World Bank.
- Hans P. Binswanger & Klaus Deininger, 1997. "Explaining Agricultural and Agrarian Policies in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(4), pages 1958-2005, December.
- Klaus Deininger & Derek Byerlee & Jonathan Lindsay & Andrew Norton & Harris Selod & Mercedes Stickler, 2011. "Rising Global Interest in Farmland : Can it Yield Sustainable and Equitable Benefits?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2263.
- Karin Larsén, 2010. "Effects of machinery-sharing arrangements on farm efficiency: evidence from Sweden," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(5), pages 497-506, 09.
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, Peter & Thurlow, James, 2010. "The Role of Agriculture in African Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1375-1383, October.
- Jean-Marie Baland & James A. Robinson, 2006.
"Land and Power: Theory and Evidence from Chile,"
NBER Working Papers
12517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernest Aryeetey & Christopher Udry, 2010. "Creating Property Rights: Land Banks in Ghana," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 130-134, May.
- Eastwood, Robert & Lipton, Michael & Newell, Andrew, 2010. "Farm Size," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:40:y:2012:i:4:p:701-714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.