Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
2016, Volume 31, Issue 4
- Survival Rates of Rural Businesses: What the Evidence Tells Us
by Deller, Steven & Conroy, Tessa
- Alternative Policies to Address Emissions in U.S. Dairy Farming
by Njuki, Eric & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E.
- Federal Benefits for Livestock and Specialty Crop Producers
by Mercier, Stephanie
- Federal Interventions in Milk Markets
by Novakovic, Andrew M. & Wolf, Christopher
- The Farm Safety Net for Field Crops
by Schnitkey, Gary & Zulauf, Carl
- The Next Farm Bill May Present Opportunities for Hybrid Farm Conservation Policies
by Coppess, Jonathan
- The Nutrition Title’s Long, Sometimes Strained, but Not Yet Broken, Marriage with the Farm Bill
by Wilde, Parke
- 80 Years of Farm Bills—Evolutionary Reform
by Zulauf, Carl & Orden, David
- Theme Overview: Looking Ahead to the Next Farm Bill
by Zulauf, Carl
- Are Community-Based Approaches to Manage Herbicide Resistance Wisdom or Folly?
by Ervin, David & Frisvold, George B.
- Farmers’ Perspectives on Management Options for Herbicide-Resistant Weeds
by Jussaume, Raymond & Dentzman, Katherine
- Shock and Awe Pest Management: Time for Change
by Hurley, Terrance M.
- Theme Overview: Herbicide Resistance Management
by Frisvold, George B. & Ervin, David E.
- Herbicide Use Trends: A Backgrounder
by Osteen, Craig D. & Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge
- The United States and Cuba: As Diplomatic Relations Warm, Do Trade Relations?
by Messina, William A., Jr. & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Royce, Frederick S.
- Inconvenient Truths about Landowner (Un)Willingness to Grow Dedicated Bioenergy Crops
by Barham, Bradford L & Mooney, Daniel F. & Swinton, Scott M.
- Seed Prices, Proposed Mergers and Acquisitions Among Biotech Firms
by Maisashvili, Aleksandre & Bryant, Henry & Raulston, J. Marc & Knapek, George & Outlaw, Joe & Richardson, James
- Beginning Farmer Policy Options for the Next Farm Bill
by Obudzinski, Juli
- Theme Overview: Addressing the Challenges of Entry into Farming
by Ahearn, Mary Clare
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program – Accomplishments in the Making
by Auburn, Jill S. & Ebodaghe, Denis & Rucker-Ross, Desiree K. & Dean, Wesley R.
2016, Volume 31, Issue 3
- Crop Insurance Demand More Elastic than Previously Thought
by Woodard, Joshua D.
- The Use of Crop Insurance in Specialty Crop Agriculture
by Paggi, Mechel S.
- Current Perspectives on the Crop Insurance Farm Safety Net
by Zacharias, Thomas P. & Paggi, Mechel S.
- Crop Insurance Will Be at the Center of the 2019 Farm Bill Debate
by Barnaby, G.A. & Russell, Levi A.
- Theme Overview: Crop Insurance in the 2018/2019 Farm Bill
by Barnaby, G.A.
- The Making of a Farm Bill
by Mercier, Stephanie
- An International View on “Correcting the Whimsies of U.S. Fisheries Policy”
by Kahui, Viktoria & Armstrong, Claire W. & Foley, Naomi S.
- Labor Compliance in Fresh Produce: Lessons from Food Safety
by Martin, Philip
- Off-farm Income: Managing Risk in Young and Beginning Farmer Households
by Bubela, Heidi J.
- Land Grants: Back to the Future
by Martin, Michael V. & Hipp, Janie Simms
- Role of Institutions, Infrastructures, and Technologies in Meeting Global Agricultural Water Challenge
by Saleth, Rathinasamy Maria & Bassi, Nitin & Kumar, M. Dinesh
- Enhancing Water Productivity in Irrigated Agriculture in the Face of Water Scarcity
by Scheierling, Susanne M. & Treguer, David O.
- Cost-Effective Conservation Programs for Sustaining Environmental Quality
by Claassen, Roger & Ribaudo, Marc
- Adaptation, Climate Change, Agriculture, and Water
by Mendelsohn, Robert
- Dealing with Water Scarcity: Need for Economy-Wide Considerations and Institutions
by Dinar, Ariel
- Theme Overview: Water Scarcity, Food Production, and Environmental Sustainability-Can Policy Make Sense?
by Dinar, Ariel
2016, Volume 31, Issue 2
- Experiences and Prospects of Genetically Engineered Crops
by Falck-Zepeda, Jose B.
- New Insights on the Impacts of Public Agricultural Research and Extension
by Huffman, Wallace E.
- 30 and Daisy: Where’s the Economics in Beef Cattle DNA Testing?
by Ballenger, Nicole & Bastian, Chris & Cammack, Kristi & Feuz, Bridger & Griffith, Garry & Schaffer, Justin
- Theme Overview: A Future Informed by Agricultural and Social Sciences
by Ahearn, Mary Clare
- Government Spending to Control Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza
by Johansson, Robert C. & Preston, Warren P. & Seitzinger, Ann Hillberg
- Regionalization of the 2014 and 2015 Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Outbreaks
by Seitzinger, Ann Hillberg & Paarlberg, Philip L.
- The Impact of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza on Table Egg Prices
by Huang, Wei & Hagerman, Amy & Bessler, David A.
- Proactive Risk Assessments to Improve Business Continuity
by Thompson, Jada M. & Pendel, Dustin L.
- Local Economies and Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza
by Johnson, Kamina K. & Seeger, Riley M. & Marsh, Thomas L.
- Theme Overview: Economic Consequences of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza
by Hagerman, Amy D. & Marsh, Thomas L.
- Beginning Farmer Credit and the Farm Service Agency’s Role
by Dodson, Charles B. & Ahrendsen, Bruce L.
- TTIP and Agriculture: Another Transatlantic Chicken War?
by Josling, Tim & Tangermann, Stefan
- Agricultural Trade Reform and Tropical Forest Preservation
by Ogg, Clayton W.
2016, Volume 31, Issue 1
- Leverage of U.S. Farmers: A Deeper Perspective
by Ellinger, Paul & Featherstone, Allen & Boehlje, Michael
- Structural Change Implies Unique Role for Federal Credit
by Dodson, Charles B. & Ahrendsen, Bruce L.
- The Food Safety Modernization Act and Agricultural Imports
by Countryman, Amanda M.
- Recent Trends in U.S. Farm Income, Wealth, and Financial Health
by Patrick, Kevin & Kuhns, Ryan & Borchers, Allison
- Farm Finance Theme Overview: Are the Good Times Really Over?
by Doye, Damona
- The Debate about Farm Nitrates and Drinking Water
by Hanson, Mark J. & Keller, Andrew & Boland, Michael A. & Lazarus, William F.
- The Food Safety Modernization Act and the Marketing of Fresh Produce
by Collart, Alba J.
- The Food Safety Modernization Act and Production of Specialty Crops
by Ribera, Luis A. & Yamazaki, Fumiko & Paggi, Mechel & Seale, James L., Jr.
- Theme Overview: Producer Impacts of the Food Safety Modernization Act
by Ribera, Luis A.
- Activists Not Always Interested in Advancing Democracy
by Townsend, Terry
- Another Perspective on Understanding Food Democracy
by McFadden, Brandon R. & Stefanou, Spiro
- Does the Public Care About How Climate Change Might Affect Agriculture?
by Lee, Gi-Eu & Loveridge, Scott & Winkler, Julie A.
- Three Little Words: EPA and the RFS Waiver Authority
by Coppess, Jonathan
2015, Volume 30, Issue 4
- What Do We Mean by Value-added Agriculture?
by Lu, Ruoxi & Dudensing, Rebekka
- Agricultural Supply Control: Lessons from the U.S. Dairy and Potato Industries
by Bolotova, Yuliya V.
- Agricultural Labor and Immigration Reform
by Guan, Shengfei & Wu, Feng & Roka, Fritz & Whidden, Alicia
- Correcting the Whimsies of U.S. Fisheries Policy
by Bromley, David W.
- Understanding the Food Democracy Movement
by Norwood, F. Bailey
2015, Volume 30, Issue 3
- Risk and the Use of Contracts by Vegetable Growers
by Schieffer, Jack & Vassalos, Michael
- Using Big Data to Evaluate Agro-environmental Policies
by Antle, John & Capalbo, Susan & Houston, Laurie
- Farm Program Elections, Budget Costs, and the WTO
by Westhoff, Patrick & Gerlt, Scott & Glauber, Joseph
- Contract Farming: What’s In It for Smallholder Farmers in Developing Countries?
by Bellemare, Marc F.
- Benefits of Transportation Investments: How You Measure Matters
by Sage, Jeremy L.
- Economics of Agricultural Contract Grower Protection Legislation
by Wu, Steven Y. & MacDonald, James
- Trends in Agricultural Contracts
by MacDonald, James M.
- Theme Overview: Current Issues in Agricultural Contracts
by Vassalos, Michael
- Railroad Competition and Wheat Rates
by Babcock, Michael W.
- Grain Handling and Transportation Policy in Canada: Implications for the United States
by Nolan, James F.
- Theme Overview: Agricultural Grain Transportation: Are We Underinvesting and Why?
by Casavant, Kenneth L.
- Agricultural Transportation by Rail: Consolidation, Competition and Fuel Prices
by Henrickson, Kevin E. & Wilson, Wesley W.
- Is America Running Out of Farmland?
by Gottlieb, Paul D.
2015, Volume 30, Issue 2
- The 2014 U.S. Farm Bill and Cotton: Proof that the WTO Matters
by Townsend, Terry
- GHG Mitigation in the Absence of a National Carbon Market
by Lewandrowski, Jan & Zook, Kathryn
- Why Have Carbon Markets Not Delivered Agricultural Emission Reductions in the United States?
by Murray, Brian C.
- Integrating Ecological and Economic Considerations for Pollinator Habitat Policy
by Ehmke, Mariah & Jones-Ritten, Chian & Shogren, Jason & Panchalingam, Thadchaigeni
- Elaborations on Climate Adaptation in U.S. Agriculture
by McCarl, Bruce A.
- The Inevitability of Climate Adaptation in U.S. Agriculture
by Rose, Steven K.
- Climate Change Impacts on U.S. Crops
by Blanc, Elodie & Reilly, John
- Climage Change, Vulnerability and Food Insecurity
by Antle, John M.
- Theme Overview: Revisiting the Evidence and Potential Solutions on Climate Change
by McCarl, Bruce A. & Murray, Brian C.
- Where the grass is always greener: dairy farmer location preferences
by Wolf, Christopher & Bozic, Marin & Stephenson, Mark & Behnke, Katie
- The Limits of Voluntary Conservation Programs
by Ribaudo, Marc
- Trade Agreements: Impacts of the Uruguay Round and Prospects for the Future
by Peterson, E. Wesley F.
- The Broiler Industry: Competition and Policy Challenges
by Vukina, Tomislav & Zheng, Xiaoyong
- Theme Overview: China as the Leading U.S. Agricultural Export Market
by Wang, Holly
- China's Growing Participation in Agricultural Markets: Conflicting Signals
by Gale, Fred
- Get Ready for Chinese Overseas Investment in Agriculture
by Gooch, Elizabeth & Gale, Fred
- Emerging Markets for U.S. Meat and Poultry in China
by Ortega, David L. & Wang, Holly & Chen, Maolong
- Will China Import More Corn?
by Lohmar, Bryan
2015, Volume 30, Issue 1
- Russia’s Economic Crisis and its Agricultural and Food Economy
by Liefert, William M. & Liefert, Olga
- What policy options seem to make the most sense for local food?
by Liang, Chyi-lyi (Kathleen)
- Managing marketing and pricing risks in evolving agricultural markets
by Nagler, Amy M. & Bastian, Christopher T. & Menkhaus, Dale J. & Feuz, Bridger
- What We Know and Don't Know About the Economic Development Benefits of Local Food Systems
by Hughes, David W. & Boys, Kathryn A.
- What Do We Mean by "Local Foods"?
by McFadden, Dawn Thilmany
- The Horse Slaughter Conundrum
by Lawler, Dan & Geyer, Leon
- Progress on Broadband Adoption in Rural America
by Barnes, James N. & Coatney, Kalyn
- Consumer Demand for Organiz Milk Continues to Expand-Can the U.S. Dairy Sector Catch Up?
by Greene, Catherine & McBride, William D.
- Economics of Antibiotic Use in U.S. Swine and Poultry Production
by Teillant, Aude & Laxminarayan, Ramanan
- U.S. Implications of the Smithfield Acquisition by Shuanghui
by Xia, Tian
- The U.S. gestation stall debate
by Schulz, Lee L. & Tonsor, Glynn T.
2014, Volume 29, Issue 4
- Hydraulic fracturing and water resources
by Muehlenbachs, Lucija & Olmstead, Sheila
- Importance of Mineral Rights and Royalty Interests for Rural Residents and Landowners
by Fitzgerald, Timothy
- Shale Development and Agriculture
by Hitaj, Claudia & Boslett, Andrew & Weber, Jeremy G.
- Unconventional Oil and Gas Development's Impact on State and Local Economies
by Weinstein, Amanda L.
- Is the Natural Gas Revolution all its Fracked Up to Be for Local Economies?
by Burnett, J. Wesley & Weber, Jeremy G.
- Unconventional Oil and Gas Development: Challenges and Opportunities for Local Governments
by Kelsey, Timothy W.
2014, Volume 29, Issue 3
- The Potential Economic Cost and Response to Greening in Florida Citrus
by Farnsworth, Derek & Grogan, Kelley A. & Bruggen, Ariena H.C. van & Moss, Charles B.
- How Connected Are Our Farms?
by Whitacre, Brian E. & Mark, Tyler B. & Griffin, Terry W.
- Comparing the United States and Canadian Fair Trade Markets to the Rest of the World
by DiMarcello III, Nicholas & Hooker, Neal H. & Marconi, Nicholas G.
- New Tool (FooDS) Identifies Consumers' View on Food Safety
by Lusk, Jayson L. & Murray, Susan
- Losing the Plot? Agricultural Research Policy and the 2014 Farm Bill
by Pardey, Philip G. & Beddow, Jason M. & Buccola, Steven T.
- Multiple Peril Crop Insurance
by Wright, Brian D.
- Some Trade Implications of the 2014 Agricultural Act
by Carter, Colin A.
- The Negligible Welfare Effects of the International Food Aid Provisions in the 2014 Farm Bill
by Lentz, Erin C. & Barrett, Christopher B.
- Conservation, the Farm Bill and U.S. Agri-Environmental Policy
by Lichtenberg, Erik
- Welfare Effects of PLC, ARC and, SCO
by Babcock, Bruce A.
- Theme Overview: The 2014 Farm Bill- An Economic Welfare Disaster or Triumph?
by Goodwin, Barry K. & Smith, Vincent H.
2014, Volume 29, Issue 2
- College Education in the Post- Recession Rural Economy
by Marre, Alexander W.
- Rural Poverty, Food Access, and Public Health Outcomes
by Canto, Amber & Brown, Laura E. & Deller, Steven C.
- Theme Overview: Rural Poverty and Food
by Rupasingha, Anil
- Is poverty worth fighting wars over?
by Partridge, Mark D.
- Highlights of the Agricultural Act of 2014 for specialty crops
by Collart, Alba J. & Coble, Keith
- Crop insurance in the Agricultural Act of 2014
by Coble, Keith H. & Barnaby, Glenn Arthur, Jr. & Jones, Rodney
- After Long Argument, Then Compromise, Congress Agrees on Nutrition Assistance Benefit Cuts in the Agricultural Act of 2014
by Wilde, Parke E.
- Conservation and the Agricultural Act of 2014
by Lubben, Bradley & Pease, James
- Agricultural Act of 2014: Commodity Programs
by Campiche, Jody L. & Outlaw, Joe & Bryant, Henry L.
- Theme Overview: Deciphering Key Provisions of the Agricultural Act of 2014
by Campiche, Jody L.
2014, Volume 29, Issue 1
- The dairy subtitle of the Agricultural Act of 2014
by Stephenson, Mark W. & Novakovic, Andrew M.
- Biofuels at a Crossroads
by Hochman, Gal
- The Potential for Aviation Biofuels— Technical, Economic, and Policy Analysis
by Tyner, Wallace E. & Petter, Ryan
- Are Bioenergy Crops Riskier than Corn? Implications for Biomass Price
by Miao, Ruiqing & Khanna, Madhu
- Technology Forcing and Associated Costs and Benefits of Cellulosic Ethanol
by Miranowski, John
- Political Economy of Biofuel
by Zilberman, David & Hochman, Gal & Kaplan, Scott & Kim, Eunice
- Theme Overview: Economic and Policy Analysis of Advanced Biofuels
by Hochman, Gal
- The New Rural-Urban Interface: Lessons for Higher Education
by Lichter, Daniel T. & Brown, David L.
- Opportunities for Rural Development in Cooperative Extension’s Second Century
by Loveridge, Scott & Albrecht, Don & Welborn, Rachel & Goetz, Stephan
- Extension Reconsidered
by Peters, Scott J.
- Using Rural Innovation Principles for University Renaissance
by Wojan, Timothy R. & Fluharty, Charles W. & Cordes, Sam
- Theme Overview: Higher Education's Roles in Supporting a Rural Renaissance
by Cordes, Sam & Peters, Scott
- Cooperative Extension System: Trends and Economic Impacts on U.S. Agriculture
by Wang, Sun Ling
- The Decentralization of Immigration Enforcement and Implications for Agriculture
by Escalante, Cesar L. & Kostandini, Genti & Mykerezi, Elton
- Food in Popular Literature
by Ferrier, Peyton
2013, Volume 28, Issue 4
- U.S. Agricultural Exports to Cuba: Composition, Trends, and Prospects for the Future
by González-Corzo, Mario A. & González, Armando Nova
- The Base vs. Planted Acre Issue: Perspectives, Trade-offs, and Questions
by Zulauf, Carl R.
- What Have We Learned about the Cost and Effectiveness of the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program?
by Baral, Ranju & Davis, George C. & Serrano, Elena & You, Wen & Blake, Stephanie
- Local Food Systems in the South: A Call for a Collaborative Approach to Assessment
by Lamie, R. David & Dunning, Rebecca & Bendfeldt, Eric & Lelekacs, Joanna Massey & Velandia, Margarita & Meyer, Lee
- Food Safety Policies and Implications for Local Food Systems
by Holcomb, Rodney B. & Palma, Marco A. & Velandia, Margarita M.
- Local Food Systems Markets and Supply Chains
by Woods, Timothy & Velandia, Margarita & Holcomb, Rodney & Dunning, Rebecca & Bendfeldt, Eric
- Response of Land Grant Universities to the Increase in Consumer Demand for Local Foods in the South
by Palma, Marco A. & Morgan, Kim & Woods, Timothy & McCoy, Sean
- Risk Management Issues for Small Farms within Local Food Systems
by Reynolds-Allie, Kenesha & Fields, Deacue & Rainey, Ron
- Theme Overview: Developing Local Food Systems in the South
by Goodwin, H.L.
- The Renewable Fuel Standard – Where Do We Go From Here?
by Tyner, Wallace E.
- A Regional Look at the Distribution of Farm Program Payments and How It May Change with a New Farm Bill
by Antle, John M. & Houston, Laurie
- Food Product Liability Insurance: Implications for the Marketing of Specialty Crops
by Boys, Kathryn A.
- Does E-Commerce Help Agricultural Markets? The Case of MarketMaker
by Carpio, Carlos E. & Isengildina-Massa, Olga & Lamie, R. David & Zapata, Samuel D.
- Have Concerns over Futures Market Integrity Impacted Producer Price Risk Management Practices?
by Welch, Mark & Anderson, David P. & Robinson, John & Waller, Mark & Bevers, Stan & Hogan, Rob & Amosson, Stephen H. & McCorkle, Dean A. & Smith, Jackie & Williams, Emmy
- How Well Do Farmers Tolerate Risk? Comparisons with Nonfarm Business Owners and the General Population
by Roe, Brian E.
- Attitudes Toward Risk in a Changing Agricultural Marketing Environment
by Welch, Mark & Lamie, R. David
2013, Volume 28, Issue 3
- Innovations in Nonpoint Source Pollution Policy—European Perspectives
by Lankoski, Jussi E. & Ollikainen, Markku
- U.S. Coastal and Estuarine Stormwater Management Approaches
by Aminzadeh, Sara & Pendleton, Linwood & Bothwell, Sean & Pickle, Amy & Boehm, Alexandria B.
- A Tale of Many Cities: Using Low-Impact Development to Reduce Urban Water Pollution
by Ando, Amy Whritenour & Netusil, Noelwah R.
- Integrated Modeling for Conservation Policy Support
by Secchi, Silvia
- Local Innovations in Water Protection: Experiments with Economic Incentives
by Wainger, Lisa A. & Shortle, James S.
- State Level Efforts to Regulate Agricultural Sources of Water Quality Impairment
by Kling, Catherine L.
- Addressing Death by a Thousand Cuts: Legal and Policy Innovations to Address Nonpoint Source Runoff
by Fowler, Lara B. & Royer, Matthew B. & Colburn, Jamison E.
- Innovations in Nonpoint Source Pollution Policy: Introduction
by Braden, John B. & Boyle, Kevin J.
- Why We Need Federal Statistical Data for States and Counties
by Partridge, Mark D. & Goetz, Stephan J. & Kilkenny, Maureen
- Implications of Cuts in USDA Dairy Data: A Conversation with Dairy Industry Economist Thomas Wegner
by Novakovic, Andrew M.
- Federal Statistics for Applied Economists
by Smith, Katherine R.
- How Will the Farm Bill’s Supplemental Revenue Programs Affect Crop Insurance?
by Collins, Keith & Bulut, Harun
- Deductibles vs. Coinsurance in Shallow-Loss Crop Insurance
by Sproul, Thomas W. & Zilberman, David & Cooper, Joseph C.
- Farm Debt Use by Farms with Crop Insurance
by Ifft, Jennifer & Kuethe, Todd H. & Morehart, Mitchell
- Can We Do Better than Crop Insurance? The Case for Farmer Owned Crop Insurance Savings Accounts
by Ramirez, Octavio A. & Colson, Gregory
- Ten Considerations Regarding the Role of Crop Insurance in the Agricultural Safety Net
by Zacharias, Thomas P. & Collins, Keith J.
- 2013 Farm Bill Dairy Title Proposals Redistribute Program Benefits toward States with Larger Farms
by Woodard, Joshua D. & Baker, Dustin
- Mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods: the showdown begins
by Senauer, Benjamin
2013, Volume 28, Issue 2
- IRS Tax Rules and Native American Producers: One Size Does Not Fit All
by Ward, Ruby & Teegerstrom, Trent & Hiller, Joseph G.
- Behind the Collapse of MF Global
by Peterson, Paul E.
- Social Forces and Cultural Factors Influencing Farm Transition
by Inwood, Shoshanah
- Credit Markets and Land Ownership for Young and Beginning Farmers
by Kauffman, Nathan S.
- Agriculture, the Tax Code, and Potential Tax Reform
by Williamson, James M.
- The Policy and Legal Environment for Farm Transitions
by Ferrell, Shannon L. & Boehlje, Michael & Jones, Rodney
- Retired Farmer - An Elusive Concept
by Kirkpatrick, Joy
- Drivers of Agricultural Transition
by Peel, Derrell & Doye, Damona & Ahearn, Mary Clare
- Theme Overview: Transitions in Agriculture
by Ferrell, Shannon L.
- Agricultural Conservation & Environmental Programs: The Challenge of Data-Driven Conservation
by Doering, Otto C. & Lawrence, Douglas J. & Helms, J. Douglas
- Lack of Information Is the Root of U.S. Foodborne Illness Risk
by Roberts, Tanya
- The Changing Landscape of Northern Great Plains Wheat Markets
by Bekkerman, Anton
- Implications of the Eurozone Crisis for Agriculture in the Europe and Central Asia Economies in Transition
by Meyers, William H. & Goychuk, Kateryna
- Exposure of EU Farmers to the Financial Crisis
by Petrick, Martin & Kloss, Mathias
- A Broad Economic Overview of the Eurozone Crisis
by Van der Sluis, Evert & Parlińska, Maria