August 1992, Volume 20, Issue 8
- 1159-1171 The NICs, global accumulation and uneven development: implications of a simple three- region model
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna
- 1173-1181 Effects of exchange rate risk on exports: crosscountry analysis
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ltaifa, Nabil
- 1183-1192 External debt, net transfers, and growth in developing countries
by Bacha, Edmar L.
- 1193-1207 Colombia's black market in foreign exchange
by Grosse, Robert
- 1209-1218 Migration from Nicaragua: some recent evidence
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 1219-1223 Variations on the basic needs yardstick: an application to Colombia
by Clavijo, Sergio
July 1992, Volume 20, Issue 7
- 921-945 Hunger and poverty in Iraq, 1991
by Dreze, Jean & Gazdar, Haris
- 947-958 Industrial systems and reform in North Korea: A comparison with China
by Kang, Myoung-Kyu & Lee, Keun
- 959-965 Alternative energy in the third world: A reappraisal of subsidies
by Desai, Ashok V.
- 967-977 Issues in irrigation pricing in developing countries
by Sampath, Rajan K.
- 979-989 What makes technology transfer? Small-scale hydropower in Nepal's public and private sectors
by Cromwell, Godfrey
- 991-1008 Labor costs and manufactured exports in developing countries: An econometric analysis
by Riveros, Luis A.
- 1009-1019 Pitfalls in the measurement of real exchange rate effects on agriculture
by Kyle, Steven
- 1021-1028 The static welfare economics of a small developing country's membership in a customs union: Botswana in the Southern African Customs Union
by Leith, J. Clark
- 1029-1045 Formalizing the informal sector in a changing South Africa: Small-scale manufacturing on the Witwatersrand
by Simon, David & Birch, Sarah L.
- 1047-1060 Accountability in public services: Exit, voice and control
by Paul, Samuel
- 1061-1076 The politics of US environmental assistance, 1976-1986
by Ivory, Ming
June 1992, Volume 20, Issue 6
- 779-792 The IMF, the World Bank and Africa's adjustment and external debt problems: An unofficial view
by Helleiner, G. K.
- 793-807 The politics of development policy
by Liddle, R. William
- 809-823 Household production reconsidered: Gender, labor conflict, and technological change in Malaysia's Muda region
by Hart, Gillian
- 825-839 Markets, markets everywhere? Understanding the Cuban anomaly
by Deere, Carmen Diana & Meurs, Mieke
- 841-857 Foreign direct investment in a strategically competitive environment: Coca-Cola, Belize, and the international citrus industry
by Barham, Bradford L.
- 859-872 Interaction between the formal and informal financial sectors: The Asian experience
by Ghate, P. B.
- 873-880 Management education in China: Past, present and future
by Deng, Shengliang & Wang, Yinglou
- 881-897 District-level economic linkages in Kenya: Evidence based on a small regional social accounting matrix
by Lewis, Blane D. & Thorbecke, Erik
- 899-905 Intercountry inequalities in income and basic- needs indicators: A recent perspective
by Ram, Rati
- 907-918 The payoff of developing a small-scale phosphate mine and beneficiating operation in the Mbeya region of Tanzania
by Van Vuuren, W. & Hamilton, J. G.
May 1992, Volume 20, Issue 5
- 641-657 Fiscal policy and economic reconstruction in Latin America
by Tanzi, Vito
- 659-672 Trade liberalization and economic stabilization in Mexico: Lessons of experience
by Ten Kate, Adriaan
- 673-693 Public expenditures in sub-Saharan Africa during a period of economic reforms
by Sahn, David E.
- 695-711 Evaluating the impact of Mexico's land reform on agricultural productivity
by Heath, John Richard
- 713-725 Determinants of smallholder commercial tree cultivation
by Godoy, Ricardo A.
- 727-734 Economies of scope and the cash crop -- Food crop debate in Senegal
by Goetz, Stephan J.
- 735-750 Agrarian reform in West Bengal: The end of an illusion
by Mallick, Ross
- 751-766 Bauxite processing in Jamaica and Guyana: An extension to aluminum smelting
by McCoy, James P.
- 767-777 In tribute to the golden age of the South's development
by Patel, Surendra J.
April 1992, Volume 20, Issue 4
- 477-479 Introduction
by Brandon, Katrina Eadie & Brandon, Carter
- 481-496 Economic growth and the environment: Whose growth? whose environment?
by Beckerman, Wilfred
- 497-512 Structural adjustment, primary resource trade and sustainable development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Cheru, Fantu
- 513-521 Obligations to future generations: A philosophical note
by Pasek, Joanna
- 523-530 Can environmental problems be subject to economic calculations?
by Amin, Samir
- 531-540 Macropolicy and the environment: A framework for analysis
by Girma, Messaye
- 541-555 An end-user approach to the measurement of performance of capital in an environmental context in Asia
by Cook, Peter & Stevens, Jonathan
- 557-570 Planning for people and parks: Design dilemmas
by Brandon, Katrina Eadie & Wells, Michael
- 571-585 Protecting fragile lands: New reasons to tackle old problems
by Forster, Nancy R.
- 587-595 Evolving connectedness among environmental groups and grassroots organizations in protected areas of Central America
by Annis, Sheldon
- 597-608 Recurring contradictions in agrarian development: Pesticide problems in Caribbean basin nontraditional agriculture
by Murray, Douglas L. & Hoppin, Polly
- 609-618 Accelerating ozone layer protection in developing countries
by Munasinghe, Mohan & King, Kenneth
- 619-626 The United Nations development system and environmental management
by von Moltke, Konrad
- 627-640 The sustainability of privilege: Reflections on the environment, the third world city, and poverty
by Olpadwala, Porus & Goldsmith, William W.
March 1992, Volume 20, Issue 3
- 309-320 Conceptual issues in the design of trade policy for industrialization
by Rodnik, Dani
- 321-334 Buyer-seller links in export development
by Egan, Mary Lou & Mody, Ashoka
- 335-349 The revolving door? External debt and capital flight: A Philippine case study
by Boyce, James K.
- 351-367 Income tax reform in Colombia and Venezuela: A comparative history
by McLure, Charles Jr.
- 369-383 Promoting the sustainability of development institutions: A framework for strategy
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W. & Goldsmith, Arthur A.
- 385-399 Struggling with Honduran poverty: The environmental consequences of natural resource-based development and rural transformations
by Stonich, Susan C.
- 401-422 The structural transformation of Taiwan's tea industry
by Etherington, Dan M. & Forster, Keith
- 423-436 Segmentation in rural financial markets: the case of Nepal
by Yadav, S. & Otsuka, K. & David, C. C.
- 437-455 Fertilizer price and subsidy policies in Bangladesh
by Renfro, Raymond Z. H.
- 457-465 The management of secondary consequences in dam projects: The case of drawdown agriculture in Indonesia
by Winarto, Yunita T.
- 467-475 Development: Creator and destroyer of values
by Goulet, Denis
February 1992, Volume 20, Issue 2
- 143-164 Software industry entry strategies for developing countries: A "walking on two legs" proposition
by Schware, Robert
- 165-186 Technological capabilities and industrialization
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 187-197 The government, financial system, and large private enterprises in the economic development of South Korea
by Lee, Chung H.
- 199-212 A subsector approach to small enterprise promotion and research
by Boomgard, James J. & Davies, Stephen P. & Haggblade, Steven J. & Mead, Donald C.
- 213-227 Gender and state bias in Jamaican housing programs
by Klak, Thomas H. & Hey, Jeanne K.
- 229-240 Popular participation and central planning in Cuban socialism: The experience of agriculture in the 1980s
by Meurs, Mieke
- 241-253 Integration of environmental concerns into agricultural policies of industrial and developing countries
by Lutz, Ernst & Young, Michael
- 255-259 A framework for improving environmental management: Beyond the market mechanism
by Redclift, Michael R.
- 261-274 Sustaining agricultural development in harsh environments: Insights from private land reclamation in Egypt
by Tomich, Thomas P.
- 275-282 Technology adoption on small farms
by Rauniyar, Ganesh P. & Goode, Frank M.
- 283-288 The time-series behavior of Brazilian real gross domestic product, 1947-87: An analysis of interventions
by Tombini, Alexandre A. & Newbold, Paul
- 289-302 Balance of payments, output and prices in Tanzania
by Sepehri, Ardeshir
- 303-308 Determinants of health care expenditure in Africa: A cross-sectional study
by Gbesemete, Kwame P. & Gerdtham, Ulf-G.
January 1992, Volume 20, Issue 1
- 1-18 Indian informatics in the 1980s: The changing character of state involvement
by Evans, Peter B.
- 19-37 Below the line: Poverty in Latin America
by Cardoso, Eliana & Helwege, Ann
- 39-55 Housing markets in third world cities: Research and policy into the 1990s
by Rakodi, Carole
- 57-68 Moneylenders and informal financial markets in Malawi
by Bolnick, Bruce R.
- 69-81 Public enterprise reform in Papua New Guinea
by Whitworth, Alan
- 83-95 Deindustrialization, adjustment, the World Bank and the IMF in Africa
by Stein, Howard
- 97-107 Choice of technology in small and large firms: Grain milling in Tanzania
by Bagachwa, M. S. D.
- 109-117 The broth and the cooks: A theory of surplus labor
by Basu, Kaushik
- 119-131 On measuring the quality of life
by Dasgupta, Partha & Weale, Martin
- 133-142 Of finance and development: Neglected and unsettled questions
by Chandavarkar, Anand
December 1991, Volume 19, Issue 12
- 1653-1678 The sectoral structure of poverty during an adjustment period: Evidence for Indonesia in the mid-1980s
by Huppi, Monika & Ravallion, Martin
- 1679-1694 Women and political participation in Africa: Broadening the scope of research
by Hirschmann, David
- 1695-1704 The Southern Mount Kenya forest since independence: A social analysis of resource competition
by Castro, Alfonso Peter
- 1705-1720 Economics of multihabitation: Housing conditions, household occupancy and household structure under rent control, inflation, and nonmarketability of ownership rights
by Willis, K. G. & Tipple, A. G.
- 1721-1730 The political economy of dilatory reform: Egypt in the 1980s
by Richards, Alan
- 1731-1736 Privatization: Possible lessons from the Hungarian case
by Schwartz, Gerd
- 1737-1751 Building technological capacity: A case study of the computer industry in India, 1975-1987
by Brunner, Hans-Peter
- 1753-1766 Computer-aided management advice for loan programs run by Indonesian village women
by Nystuen, John D. & Zinn, Frank D. & Sulistyo, Djoko & Darmasetiawan, Rommy
- 1767-1776 Participatory management in large irrigation systems: Issues for consideration
by Raby, Namika
- 1777-1785 The relation between real cash balances and physical inputs in South Korea's manufacturing sector
by Mohabbat, Khan A. & Yuhn, Ky Hyang
- 1787-1790 A comment on the relative employment-generation capabilities of the manufacturing and service sectors in developing countries
by Lewis, Blane D.
- 1791-1792 A reply to Lewis
by Park, Se-Hark & Chan, Kenneth S.
- 1793-1795 A comment on investment and economic growth
by Scott, Maurice FG.
- 1797-1799 A reply to Scott
by Anderson, Dennis
- 1801-1805 Editors' introduction
by Jolly, Richard & Van Der Hoeven, Rolph
- 1807-1821 Adjustment with a human face: A UNICEF record and perspective on the 1980s
by Jolly, Richard
- 1823-1834 IMF adjustment policies and approaches and the needs of children
by Helleiner, G. K. & Cornia, G. A. & Jolly, R.
- 1835-1845 Adjustment with a human face: Still relevant or overtaken by events?
by Van Der Hoeven, Rolph
- 1847-1864 The many faces of adjustment
by Stewart, Frances
November 1991, Volume 19, Issue 11
- 1483-1484 Foreword
by Morrisson, Christian
- 1485-1508 Poverty and income distribution during adjustment: Issues and evidence from the OECD project
by Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian
- 1509-1525 Macroeconomics, financial variables, and computable general equilibrium models
by Robinson, Sherman
- 1527-1544 Modeling the effects of adjustment programs on income distribution
by Bourguignon, Francois & De Melo, Jaime & Suwa, Akiko
- 1545-1561 Adjustment and social costs in Chile during the 1980s
by Meller, Patricio
- 1563-1576 Adjustment and equity in Cote d'Ivoire: 1980-86
by Lambert, Sylvie & Schneider, Hartmut & Suwa, Akiko
- 1577-1594 Politically feasible and equitable adjustment: Some alternatives for ecuador
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Fargeix, Andre
- 1595-1614 Adjustment, growth and income distribution in Indonesia
by Thorbecke, Erik
- 1615-1632 Poverty and macroeconomic policy in Malaysia, 1979-1987
by Demery, Lionel & Demery, David
- 1633-1651 Adjustment, incomes and poverty in Morocco
by Morrisson, Christian
October 1991, Volume 19, Issue 10
- 1275-1287 Fuelwood, subsistence foraging, and the decline of common property
by McGranahan, Gordon
- 1289-1297 Natural resources prices, export policies, and deforestation: The case of sudan
by Larson, Bruce A. & Bromely, Daniel W.
- 1299-1314 Planning for sustainability: Access to fuelwood in Dhanusha District, Nepal
by Soussan, John & Gevers, Els & Ghimire, Krishna & O'Keefe, Phil
- 1315-1334 When failure becomes success: Class and the debate over stabilization and adjustment
by Ruccio, David F.
- 1335-1349 The reproduction of gender inequality in Muslim societies: A case study of Iran in the 1980s
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
- 1351-1365 The differentiation of the urbanization process under apartheid
by May, Julian & Rankin, Sheldon
- 1367-1379 Antagonistic cooperation: A case study of nongovernmental organizations, government and donor's relationships in income-generating projects in Bangladesh
by Sanyal, Bishwapriya
- 1381-1389 Economic policy and the relative price of services in LDCs
by Feldman, David H.
- 1391-1398 Capital mobility in developing countries: Some empirical tests
by Haque, Nadeem U. & Montiel, Peter
- 1399-1408 Adjustment policies and the real exchange rate in Kenya since 1975
by De Groot, Albert W.
- 1409-1419 Who bears the incidence of import protection? Evidence from Sri Lanka
by Navaratne, N. M. C.
- 1421-1440 Performance and adaptive roles of the government-supported research institute in South Korea
by Lee, Dal Hwan & Bae, Zong-Tae & Lee, Jinjoo
- 1441-1444 A comment on economic growth and social development
by Colombatto, Enrico
- 1445-1449 A reply
by Newman, Barbara A. & Thomson, Randall J.
- 1451-1460 Human development Report 1990: Review and assessment
by Bhanojirao, V. V.
- 1469-1473 Human development revisited: A new UNDP report
by Hopkins, Michael
September 1991, Volume 19, Issue 9
- 1121-1135 Big business and urban congestion in Taiwan: The origins of small enterprise and regionally decentralized industry (respectively)
by Amsden, Alice H.
- 1137-1143 Rethinking desertification: What do we know and what have we learned?
by Rhodes, Steven L.
- 1145-1151 The causes of tropical deforestation in Ecuador: A statistical analysis
by Southgate, Douglas & Sierra, Rodrigo & Brown, Lawrence
- 1153-1165 Comparative advantage, trade and growth: Export-Led growth revisited
by Dodaro, Santo
- 1167-1183 A structuralist perspective on the role of technology in economic growth and development
by Justman, Moshe & Teubal, Morris
- 1185-1196 Managing commodity booms in Botswana
by Hill, Catherine B.
- 1197-1213 Import-substituting industrialization and protection of the small-scale: The Indian experience in the textile industry
by Mazumdar, Dipak
- 1215-1224 Putting TRIMs to good use
by Balasubramanyam, V. N.
- 1225-1240 Exchange rate volatility and Pakistan's exports to the developed world, 1974-85
by Kumar, Ramesh & Dhawan, Ravinder
- 1241-1246 The income redistributional impact of financing higher education in Pakistan
by Khan, Shahrukh R.
- 1247-1268 A comparison of labor-saving technologies for processing shea nut butter in Mali
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 1269-1274 Reevaluating the effect of N-ach on economic growth
by Lewis, Jeffrey
August 1991, Volume 19, Issue 8
- 933-943 Integration of environmental externalities in international commodity agreements
by Kox, Henk L. M.
- 945-956 The international economics of intellectual property right protection: A welfare-theoretic trade policy analysis
by Subramanian, Arvind
- 957-967 Growth-oriented adjustment programs: A statistical analysis
by Faini, Riccardo & De Melo, Jaime & Senhadji, Abdelhak & Stanton, Julie
- 969-986 Inflation in Argentina: Stop and go since the Austral plan
by Kiguel, Miguel A.
- 987-1005 Institutional impediments to workforce retrenchment and restructing in Ghana's State enterprises
by Tait Davis, J.
- 1007-1028 Household shelter strategies in comparative perspective: Evidence from low-income groups in Bamako and La Paz
by Van Lindert, Paul & Van Westen, August
- 1029-1044 Education and economic growth in Taiwan: A case of successful planning
by Hay Woo, Jennie
- 1045-1054 The impact of Iran's islamic revolution on health personnel policy
by Malek, M.
- 1055-1073 Technology transfer and the development of China's offshore oil industry
by Warhurst, Alyson
- 1075-1093 Poverty and the forward-falling labor supply function: A microeconomic analysis
by Sharif, Mohammed
- 1095-1105 The fungibility of US assistance to developing countries and the impact on recipient expanditures: a case study of Pakistan
by Khilji, Nasir M. & Zampelli, Ernest M.
- 1107-1116 An aggregate private expenditure function for the Bangladesh economy
by Hossain, Akhtar
- 1117-1120 Deserved debt relief: a note
by Giehm Mikkelsen, Jan
July 1991, Volume 19, Issue 7
- 749-761 The Public-Private choice: The case of marketing a country to investors
by Wells, Louis Jr. & Wint, Alvin G.
- 763-777 Legal process and economic development: A case study of Indonesia
by Gray, Cheryl W.
- 779-789 The urban subsistence labor force: Toward a policy-oriented and empirically accessible taxonomy
by Cole, William E. & Fayissa, Bichaka
- 791-803 Asian urban development policies in the 1990s: From growth control to urban diffusion
by Rondinelli, Dennis A.
- 805-820 A reassessment of the causes and severity of Nepal's environmental crisis
by Metz, John J.
- 821-829 Brazilian policies that encourage deforestation in the Amazon
by Binswanger, Hans P.
- 831-838 Parastatal pay policy in Africa
by Lindauer, David L.
- 839-849 Understanding the failure of IMF reform: The Zambian case
by Hawkins, Jeffrey Jr.
- 851-865 External shocks and adjustment in a mineral dependent economy: A short-run model for Zambia
by Kayizzi-Mugerwa, Steve
- 867-884 The nature and determinants of socioeconomic inequality among peasant households in Southern Sudan
by House, William J.
- 885-901 Newly and lately industrializing exporters: LDC manufactured exports to the United States, 1977-1984
by Alger, Keith
- 903-914 The accumulation of technology: Capital goods production in developing countries revisited
by Baark, Erik
- 915-919 The Cuban sugar export dependency question: Premises and controversy
by Radell, Willard Jr.
- 921-926 The significance of access to land as a determinant of Kenya's interregional migration
by Rodgers, William M.
June 1991, Volume 19, Issue 6
- 569-594 How significant are externalities for development?
by Stewart, Frances & Ghani, Ejaz
- 595-605 A proposal for using incentive precommitments in public enterprise funding
by Kumar Sah, Raaj & Weitsman, Martin L.
- 607-621 Sustainable development: A critical review
by Lele, Sharachchandra M.
- 623-636 Regulation with growth: The political economy of palm oil in Malaysia
by Pletcher, James
- 637-649 Economic reform and armed conflict in Mozambique
by Kyle, Steven
- 651-670 A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector
by Livingstone, Ian
- 671-682 Workers' response to job loss: Female and male industrial workers in Brazil
by Hirata, Helena & Humphrey, John
- 683-696 Profits from self-employment: The case of Cote d'Ivoire
by Vijverberg, Wim P. M.
- 697-703 Institutional linkages for different types of agricultural technologies: Rice in the Eastern Plains of Colombia
by Alfonso Agudelo, Luis & Kaimowitz, David
- 705-709 An examination of the objectives of monetary policy in four developing economies
by Joyce, Joseph P.
- 711-717 Dutch disease economics and oil syndrome: An empirical study
by Fardmanesh, Mohsen
- 719-727 Income convergence and divergence within and between LDC groups
by Zind, Richard G.
- 729-733 Effects of exchange rate variability on inflation variability
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen
- 735-740 The Bertrand critique of the role of the United Nations in the economic and social fields
by Dell, Sidney S.
May 1991, Volume 19, Issue 5
- 399-409 Life in a dual system revisited: Urban-rural ties in Enugu, Nigeria, 1961-87
by Gugler, Josef
- 411-434 Adjustment and development in Latin America: The failure of Peruvian Heterodoxy, 1985-90
by Paus, Eva A.
- 435-455 Poverty and distorted industrialization in the Brazilian Northeast
by Goldsmith, William W. & Wilson, Robert
- 457-483 Toward development ethics
by Crocker, David A.
- 485-496 Open borders: A global-humanist approach to the refugee crisis
by Gurtov, Mel
- 497-510 Official finance requirements in the 1990s
by Lensink, Robert & Van Bergeijk, Peter A. G.
- 511-532 Capital market development in China
by Tam, On Kit
- 533-538 Money creation and financial liberalization in a socialist banking system: Tanzania 1983-88
by Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem
- 539-551 GSTP tariff reduction and its effects on south-south trade in manufactures
by Linnemann, Hans & Verbruggen, Harmen
- 553-568 Technology exports from a small, very open NIC: The case of Singapore
by Hill, Hal & Pang Eng Fong
April 1991, Volume 19, Issue 4
- 287-300 Development narratives, or making the best of blueprint development
by Roe, Emery M.
- 301-316 Depopulating the compounds: Migrant labor and mine housing in South Africa
by Crush, Jonathan & James, Wilmot
- 317-332 Global trends in real exchange rates 1960-1984
by Wood, Adrian
- 333-340 Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965
by Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W.
- 341-347 Foreign exchange and industrial development: A frontier production function analysis of two Tanzanian industries
by Mbelle, Ammon & Sterner, Thomas
- 349-362 Licensing in a newly industrializing country: The case of Greek manufacturing
by Giannitsis, Tassos
- 363-374 The strategic orientations of firms and the performance of Korea and Taiwan in frontier industries: Lessons from comparative case studies of keyboard and personal computer assembly
by Levy, Brian & Kuo, Wen-Jeng
- 375-397 Semiconductor technology and the newly industrializing countries: The diffusion of ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits)
by Hobday, Michael