Scale-up Nation: China’s Specialization in Innovative Manufacturing
On the basis of more than one hundred interviews conducted in 42 firms in China’s wind turbine and solar PV sectors during 2010–2013, this article seeks to specify the nature and extent of China-based technology innovation. We argue that Chinese firms have developed unique capabilities surrounding technology commercialization and manufacturing-related innovation. We provide a taxonomy for understanding such capabilities, showing the ways in which they are related to multidirectional, cross-border learning among firms. Our analysis points the way toward new frameworks for understanding national competitiveness and industrial upgrading.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brandt, Loren & Thun, Eric, 2010.
"The Fight for the Middle: Upgrading, Competition, and Industrial Development in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 1555-1574, November.
- Loren Brandt & Eric Thun, 2010. "The Fight for the Middle: Upgrading, Competition, and Industrial Development in China," Working Papers tecipa-395, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Wei, Max & Patadia, Shana & Kammen, Daniel M., 2010. "Putting renewables and energy efficiency to work: How many jobs can the clean energy industry generate in the US?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 919-931, February.
- Schuman, Sara & Lin, Alvin, 2012. "China's Renewable Energy Law and its impact on renewable power in China: Progress, challenges and recommendations for improving implementation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 89-109.
- Ernst, Dieter & Kim, Linsu, 2002. "Global production networks, knowledge diffusion, and local capability formation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1417-1429, December.
- Peter Nolan, 2012. "Is China Buying the World?," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 55(2), pages 108-118, March.
- Herrigel, Gary, 2010. "Manufacturing Possibilities: Creative Action and Industrial Recomposition in the United States, Germany, and Japan," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199557738, December.
- Steinfeld, Edward S., 2004. "China's Shallow Integration: Networked Production and the New Challenges for Late Industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1971-1987, November.
- Carliss Y. Baldwin & Kim B. Clark, 2000. "Design Rules, Volume 1: The Power of Modularity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024667, March.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-680.
- Justin Yifu Lin, 2012. "The Quest for Prosperity: How Developing Economies Can Take Off," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 9812, 06-2016.
- Lester, Richard K. and David M. Hart, 2011. "Unlocking Energy Innovation: How America Can Build a Low-Cost, Low-Carbon Energy System," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262525143, March.
- Liu, Jialu & Goldstein, Don, 2013. "Understanding China's renewable energy technology exports," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 417-428.
- Thilo Grau & Molin Huo & Karsten Neuhoff, 2011.
"Survey of Photovoltaic Industry and Policy in Germany and China,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1132, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Grau, Thilo & Huo, Molin & Neuhoff, Karsten, 2012. "Survey of photovoltaic industry and policy in Germany and China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 20-37.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Ru, Peng & Zhi, Qiang & Zhang, Fang & Zhong, Xiaotian & Li, Jianqiang & Su, Jun, 2012. "Behind the development of technology: The transition of innovation modes in China’s wind turbine manufacturing industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 58-69.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:54:y:2014:i:c:p:288-300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.