FDI and Local Linkages in Developing Countries: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa
This paper investigates the determinants of backward linkages of foreign manufacturing firms in 19 Sub-Saharan African countries. We shed light on the micro and macro level factors which contribute to a higher degree of interactions between foreign subsidiaries and local firms. Our results indicate that the time since entry of foreign firms, the presence of a local partner in the ownership structure and a finalmarket orientation are associated with higher local linkages. Finally, we lend further support to the idea that good institutions and in particular a reliable legal system are pre-conditions for boosting the linkages generated by foreign firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife & Strobl, Eric, 2009.
"Creating backward linkages from multinationals: is there a role for financial incentives?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1554, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2011. "Creating Backward Linkages from Multinationals: Is there a Role for Financial Incentives?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 245-259, 05.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spatz, Julius, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth in developing countries: how relevant are host-country and industry characteristics?," Kiel Working Papers 1176, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2011.
"Determinants of Horizontal Spillovers from FDI: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis,"
2011/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Iršová, Zuzana & Havránek, Tomáš, 2013. "Determinants of Horizontal Spillovers from FDI: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 1-15.
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-321, May.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrés Rodriguez-Clare, 2004.
"Multinationals and Linkages: An Empirical Investigation,"
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION,
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 113-169, January.
- Andres Rodriguez-Clare & Laura Alfaro, 2004. "Multinationals and Linkages: An Empirical Investigation," 2004 Meeting Papers 145, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Shujiro Urata & Yuhong Wei, 2005.
"Reconsidering the Backward Vertical Linkage of Foreign Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals,"
05019, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kiyota, Kozo & Matsuura, Toshiyuki & Urata, Shujiro & Wei, Yuhong, 2008. "Reconsidering the Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1398-1414, August.
- Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Shujiro Urata & Yuhong Wei, 2007. "Reconsidering the Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," Working Papers 563, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Pol Antràs, 2005.
"Property Rights and the International Organization of Production,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 25-32, May.
- Antras, Pol, 2005. "Property Rights and the International Organization of Production," Scholarly Articles 3196326, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kunal Sen & Dirk Te Velde, 2009. "State Business Relations and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(8), pages 1267-1283.
- B. Merlevede & K. Schoors & M. Spatareanu, 2011. "FDI Spillovers and the Time since Foreign Entry," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/713, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sourafel Girma, 2003.
"Absorptive capacity and productivity spillovers From FDI: a threshold regression analysis,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
25, European Economy Group.
- Sourafel Girma, 2005. "Absorptive Capacity and Productivity Spillovers from FDI: A Threshold Regression Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(3), pages 281-306, 06.
- Calì, Massimiliano & Sen, Kunal, 2011. "Do Effective State Business Relations Matter for Economic Growth? Evidence from Indian States," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1542-1557, September.
- Ozawa Terutomo & Bellak Christian, 2011. "Will the World Bank's Vision Materialize? Relocating China's Factories to Sub-Saharan Africa, Flying-Geese Style," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-18, September.
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, 2003.
"Foreign direct investment, financial development and economic growth,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 142-163.
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert, 2000. "Foreign direct investment, financial development and economic growth," Research Report 00E27, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2005. "FDI, AGOA and Manufactured Exports by a Landlocked, Least Developed African Economy: Lesotho," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 998-1022.
- Elizabeth Asiedu, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment in Africa: The Role of Natural Resources, Market Size, Government Policy, Institutions and Political Instability," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 63-77, 01.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pol Antràs, 2003.
"Firms, Contracts, and Trade Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mkandawire, Thandika, 2001. "Thinking about Developmental States in Africa," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 289-313, May.
- Oliver Morrissey, 2012. "FDI in Sub-Saharan Africa: Few Linkages, Fewer Spillovers," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 24(1), pages 26-31, February.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-596, September.
- Marco Sanfilippo, 2010. "Chinese FDI to Africa: What Is the Nexus with Foreign Economic Cooperation?," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 22(S1), pages 599-614.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-873, September.
- Shunsuke Managi & Samuel Mulenga Bwalya, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers in sub-Saharan Africa," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(6), pages 605-608.
- Buchanan, Bonnie G. & Le, Quan V. & Rishi, Meenakshi, 2012. "Foreign direct investment and institutional quality: Some empirical evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 81-89.
- Giroud, Axèle, 2007. "MNEs vertical linkages: The experience of Vietnam after Malaysia," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 159-176, April.
- Lin, Ping & Saggi, Kamal, 2007. "Multinational firms, exclusivity, and backward linkages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 206-220, March.
- Bwalya, Samuel Mulenga, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Evidence from panel data analysis of manufacturing firms in Zambia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 514-526, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:50:y:2013:i:c:p:41-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.