Demand creation and competition effect of Export-platform FDI on backward linkages - Evidence from panel data analysis of Vietnamese supporting industries
The paper deals with the impacts of Export-platform FDI on backward linkages. First, in a three-country model, these impacts can be explained through competition effect and demand creation one. Whenever the former is stronger than the latter, the investment has a negative impact on backward linkages and conversely. Otherwise, if foreign and domestic producers are heterogeneous, then there is an optimal threshold for input intensity of technology used by foreign producers allowing a highest level of backward linkages. Secondly, in the case of the Vietnamese supporting industries between 2000 and 2007, we observe that Export-platform FDI generates a 100% crowding-out effect. Moreover, the correlation between production of these industries and input intensity of technology used by foreign producers is positive. This indicates that the greater this intensity is, the bigger benefit these supporting industries could get from Export-platform FDI.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, bld Francois Mitterand, 91025 Evry Cedex|
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Kolasa Marcin, 2008.
"How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 155-173.
- Marcin Kolasa, 2007. "How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 42, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Kolasa, Marcin, 2007. "How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition," MPRA Paper 8673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joze P. Damijan & Mark Knell & Boris Majcen & Matija Rojec, 2003. "Technology Transfer through FDI in Top-10 Transition Countries: How Important are Direct Effects, Horizontal and Vertical Spillovers?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 549, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs, Muraközy & Halpern, László, 2005.
"Does Distance Matter in Spillover?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4857, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Peter Neary, 2002.
"Foreign direct investment and the single market,"
200124, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-73, September.
- Alexandre Minda & Huu-Thanh-Tam Nguyen, 2012. "Les déterminants de l'investissement direct étranger d'exportation-plateforme. L'exemple du Vietnam," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 63(1), pages 69-91.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Liza Jabbour & Jean Louis Mucchielli, 2007. "Technology transfer through vertical linkages: The case of the Spanish manufacturing industry," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 115-136, May.
- Smith, Alasdair, 1987. "Strategic investment, multinational corporations and trade policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 89-96.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilbur Chung & W Mitchell & B Yeung, 2003. "Foreign direct investment and host country productivity: the American automotive component industry in the 1980s," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 199-218, March.
- Lim, Linda Y. C. & Fong, Pang Eng, 1982. "Vertical linkages and multinational enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(7), pages 585-595, July.
- Theodore H. Moran & Edward M. Graham & Magnus Blomstrom, 2005. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Development?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3810.
- Jordaan, Jacob A., 2008. "Intra- and Inter-industry Externalities from Foreign Direct Investment in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector: New Evidence from Mexican Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2838-2854, December.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J. & Markusen, James R., 1992. "Endogenous market structures in international trade (natura facit saltum)," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 109-129, February.
- Sylvie Montout & Habib Zitouna, 2005. "Does North-South Integration Affect Multinational Firms' Strategies?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 485-500, 08.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & Markusen, James R, 1987. "Strategic Investments and the Development of Multinationals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 109-21, February.
- Frances Ruane & Ali Uğur, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers in Irish manufacturing industry: evidence from plant level panel data," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 53-66.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Motta, Massimo & Norman, George, 1996.
"Does Economic Integration Cause Foreign Direct Investment?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 757-83, November.
- Massimo Motta & George Norman, 1993. "Does economic integration cause foreign direct investment?," Economics Working Papers 28, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Filippo Reganati & Rosanna Pittiglio & Edgardo Sica, 2008. "Horizontal And Vertical Spillovers From Fdi In The Italian Productive System," Quaderni DSEMS 08-2008, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Renáta Kosová, 2010. "Does FDI Facilitate Domestic Entry? Evidence from the Czech Republic," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 14-29, 02.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Xiaming Liu & Chengang Wang & Yingqi Wei, 2009. "Do local manufacturing firms benefit from transactional linkages with multinational enterprises in China?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(7), pages 1113-1130, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:13-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.