Managing Wild Resources: Institutional Choice and the Recovery of Resource Rent in Southwest China
Managing harvests from natural resource systems is often seen as necessary to recover resource rent, that is, for wise and sustainable use. This paper develops a method to estimate resource rent recovery for a class of nontimber forest products and, using a unique dataset on the harvest of wild mushrooms in southwestern China, we empirically estimate this in open access, common access, and privately managed forests. We show that villages that lack rules (open access) do not always perform poorly. We explore how geographic context, resource endowments, transaction costs, and institutional goals may drive incentives for developing self-governing institutions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klooster, Daniel, 2000. "Institutional Choice, Community, and Struggle: A Case Study of Forest Co-Management in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Rozelle, Scott & Huang, Jikun & Benziger, Vince, 2003. "Forest Exploitation and Protection in Reform China: Assessing the Impact of Policy, Tenure, and Economic Growth," Working Papers 225890, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Reed, William J., 1984. "The effects of the risk of fire on the optimal rotation of a forest," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 180-190, June.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Albers, Heidi J. & Williams, Jeffrey C., 2008.
"Spatial and temporal modeling of community non-timber forest extraction,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 234-245, November.
- Elizabeth J. Z. Robinson & Heidi J. Albers & Jeffrey C. Williams, 2006. "Spatial and Temporal Modeling of Community Non-Timber Forest Extraction," CSAE Working Paper Series 2006-03, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Weyerhaeuser, Horst & Kahrl, Fredrich & Yufang, Su, 2006. "Ensuring a future for collective forestry in China's southwest: Adding human and social capital to policy reforms," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 375-385, June.
- Leach, Melissa & Mearns, Robin & Scoones, Ian, 1999. "Environmental Entitlements: Dynamics and Institutions in Community-Based Natural Resource Management," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 225-247, February.
- L Pez-Feldman, Alejandro & Mora, Jorge & Taylor, J. Edward, 2007.
"Does natural resource extraction mitigate poverty and inequality? Evidence from rural Mexico and a Lacandona Rainforest Community,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(02), pages 251-269, April.
- Lopez-Feldman, Alejandro & Mora, Jorge & Taylor, J. Edward, 2006. "Does Natural Resource Extraction Mitigate Poverty and Inequality? Evidence from Rural Mexico and a Lacadona Rainforest Community," Working Papers 190916, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Songorwa, Alexander N., 1999. "Community-Based Wildlife Management (CWM) in Tanzania: Are the Communities Interested?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2061-2079, December.
- Mendelsohn, Robert, 1994. "Property Rights and Tropical Deforestation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 750-56, Supplemen.
- McCarthy, Nancy & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2001. "Common Pool Resource Appropriation under Costly Cooperation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 297-309, November.
- Agrawal, Arun, 2001. "Common Property Institutions and Sustainable Governance of Resources," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1649-1672, October.
- Singh, Inderjit & Squire, Lyn & Strauss, John, 1986. "A Survey of Agricultural Household Models: Recent Findings and Policy Implications," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 149-79, September.
- Sinan, Hussain & Whitmarsh, David, 2010. "Wealth-based fisheries management and resource rent capture: An application to the Maldives marine fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 389-394, May.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124.
- Gibson, Clark C. & Williams, John T. & Ostrom, Elinor, 2005. "Local Enforcement and Better Forests," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 273-284, February.
- Herath Gunatileke & Ujjayant Chakravorty, 2003. "Protecting Forests Through Farming. A Dynamic Model of Nontimber Forest Extraction," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Morrow, Christopher E. & Hull, Rebecca Watts, 1996. "Donor-initiated common pool resource institutions: The case of the Yanesha Forestry Cooperative," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1641-1657, October.
- Blaikie, Piers, 2006. "Is Small Really Beautiful? Community-based Natural Resource Management in Malawi and Botswana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1942-1957, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:48:y:2013:i:c:p:120-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.