Poverty and commercialization of non-timber forest products
While there is much interest by NGOs and environmental groups in the potential of non-timber forest products (NTFP) programs to si- multaneously achieve conservation and poverty alleviation, there is not a great deal of understanding of whether they work in practice, and how incentives and local management do, indeed aﬀect poverty and local resource use. In this paper I propose a methodology to analyze the potential impacts that price increases can have on the income that extractors receive from NTFP extraction. The case study illustrates how one could evaluate the eﬀectiveness of diﬀerent price scenarios. It also shows the kind of biologic and socioeconomic information that is needed to apply the methodology suggested. The more accurate the information is the more conﬁdent one can be about the policy recommendations. This is an area of opportunity where applied research between economists and ecologists can lead to con- crete policy applications.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124.
- Monica Fisher & Gerald E. Shively & Steven Buccola, 2005. "Activity Choice, Labor Allocation, and Forest Use in Malawi," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(4).
- M. G. Bhat & R. G. Huffaker, 1991. "Private Property Rights and Forest Preservation in Karnataka Western Ghats, India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(2), pages 375-387.
- Herath Gunatileke & Ujjayant Chakravorty, 2003. "Protecting Forests Through Farming. A Dynamic Model of Nontimber Forest Extraction," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Belcher, Brian & Ruiz-Perez, Manuel & Achdiawan, Ramadhani, 2005. "Global patterns and trends in the use and management of commercial NTFPs: Implications for livelihoods and conservation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1435-1452, September.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Narjisse, Hamid, 2002. "Market-based conservation and local benefits: the case of argan oil in Morocco," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 125-144, April.
- López-Feldman, Alejandro & Edward Taylor, J., 2009. "Labor allocation to non-timber extraction in a Mexican rainforest community," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 205-221, August.
- López-Feldman, Alejandro & Wilen, James E., 2008. "Poverty and spatial dimensions of non-timber forest extraction," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 621-642, October.
- Bluffstone Randall A., 1995. "The Effect of Labor Market Performance on Deforestation in Developing Countries under Open Access: An Example from Rural Nepal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 42-63, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.