Governance of Global Value Chains in Response to Food Safety and Certification Standards: The Case of Shrimp from Vietnam
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Goss, Jasper & Burch, David & Rickson, Roy E., 2000. "Agri-Food Restructuring and Third World Transnationals: Thailand, the CP Group and the Global Shrimp Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 513-530, March.
- Timothy J. Sturgeon, 2002. "Modular production networks: a new American model of industrial organization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 451-496, June.
- Islam, Md. Saidul, 2008. "From pond to plate: Towards a twin-driven commodity chain in Bangladesh shrimp aquaculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 209-223, June.
- Kenney, Martin & Florida, Richard, 1994. "Japanese maquiladoras: Production organization and global commodity chains," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-44, January.
- Raphael Kaplinsky, 2004. "Spreading the Gains from Globalization : What Can Be Learned from Value-Chain Analysis?," Problems of Economic Transition, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(2), pages 74-115.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Vandergeest, Peter, 2007. "Certification and Communities: Alternatives for Regulating the Environmental and Social Impacts of Shrimp Farming," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1152-1171, July.
- Raynolds, Laura T., 2004. "The Globalization of Organic Agro-Food Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 725-743, May.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Morris, Mike, 1999. "Trade Policy Reform and the Competitive Response in Kwazulu Natal Province, South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 717-737, April.
- Girvan, Norman P., 1987. "Transnational corporations and non-fuel primary commodities in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 713-740, May.
- Ponte, Stefano, 2002. "The 'Latte Revolution'? Regulation, Markets and Consumption in the Global Coffee Chain," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1099-1122, July.
- Masahiro Kagawa & Conner Bailey, 2006. "Trade Linkages in Shrimp Exports: Japan, Thailand and Vietnam," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 303-319, May.
- Hatanaka, Maki, 2010. "Certification, Partnership, and Morality in an Organic Shrimp Network: Rethinking Transnational Alternative Agrifood Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 706-716, May.
- Neiland, Arthur E. & Soley, Neill & Varley, Joan Baron & Whitmarsh, David J., 2001. "Shrimp aquaculture: economic perspectives for policy development," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 265-279, July.
- Gibbon, Peter, 2001. "Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 345-363, February.
- Nhuong Tran & Norbert L. W. Wilson & Sven Anders, 2012. "Standard Harmonization as Chasing Zero (Tolerance Limits): The Impact of Veterinary Drug Residue Standards on Crustacean Imports in the EU, Japan, and North America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 496-502.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ponte, Stefano & Kelling, Ingrid & Jespersen, Karen Sau & Kruijssen, Froukje, 2014. "The Blue Revolution in Asia: Upgrading and Governance in Aquaculture Value Chains," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 52-64.
- Simon R. Bush & Peter Oosterveer, 2015. "Vertically Differentiating Environmental Standards: The Case of the Marine Stewardship Council," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(2), pages 1-23, February.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2016.
"Human Rights and Corporate Social Responsibility in Developing Countries’ Industrial Clusters,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 39-54, January.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2016. "Human Rights and Corporate Social Responsibility in Developing Countries’ Industrial Clusters," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 39-54, January.
- Giuliani, Elisa, 2014. "Human Rights and Corporate Social Responsibility in Developing Countries’ Industrial Clusters," Papers in Innovation Studies 2014/9, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Chiputwa, Brian & Spielman, David J. & Qaim, Matin, 2015.
"Food Standards, Certification, and Poverty among Coffee Farmers in Uganda,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 400-412.
- Chiputwa, Brian & Qaim, Matin & Spielman, David J., 2013. "Food Standards, Certification, and Poverty among Coffee Farmers in Uganda," Discussion Papers 161565, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Chiputwa, Brian & Qaim, Matin & Spielman, David J., 2014. "Food standards, certification, and poverty among coffee farmers in Uganda," 2014 International Congress, August 26-29, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia 182718, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thi Huong Tran, 2018. "Critical factors and enablers of food quality and safety compliance risk management in the Vietnamese seafood supply chain," Papers 1805.12109, arXiv.org.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:103:y:2018:i:c:p:162-175 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bennett, Elizabeth A., 2017. "Who Governs Socially-Oriented Voluntary Sustainability Standards? Not the Producers of Certified Products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 53-69.
- Grimm, Jörg H. & Hofstetter, Joerg S. & Sarkis, Joseph, 2014. "Critical factors for sub-supplier management: A sustainable food supply chains perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 152(C), pages 159-173.
- Vajk Lukacs de Pereny Martens & Ronnie Ramlogan, 2015. "Standardization and Governance Dynamics in the Peruvian Alpaca Fibre Value Chain," Globelics Working Paper Series 2015-10, Globelics - Global Network for Economics of Learning, Innovation, and Competence Building Systems, Aalborg University, Department of Business and Management.
- Wilson, Norbert L. W., 2017. "Labels, Food Safety, and International Trade," ADBI Working Papers 657, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Booker, Anthony & Johnston, Deborah & Heinrich, Michael, 2016. "The Welfare Effects of Trade in Phytomedicines: A Multi-Disciplinary Analysis of Turmeric Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 221-230.
- Béné, Christophe & Arthur, Robert & Norbury, Hannah & Allison, Edward H. & Beveridge, Malcolm & Bush, Simon & Campling, Liam & Leschen, Will & Little, David & Squires, Dale & Thilsted, Shakuntala H. &, 2016. "Contribution of Fisheries and Aquaculture to Food Security and Poverty Reduction: Assessing the Current Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 177-196.
- Hubeau, Marianne & Mondelaers, Koen & Coteur, Ine & Marchand, Fleur L. & Lauwers, Ludwig, 2014. "Chain Governance Systems and Sustainable Capital Use – A Conceptual Approach," 2014 International European Forum, February 17-21, 2014, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 199340, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- repec:ucp:mresec:doi:10.1086/692091 is not listed on IDEAS
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Carlucci, Domenico & De Devitiis, Biagia & Nardone, Gianluca & Viscecchia, Rosaria, 2017. "On consumption patterns in oyster markets: the role of attitudes," MPRA Paper 76789, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:9:p:1569-:d:111005 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tolentino-Zondervan, Frazen & Berentsen, Paul & Bush, Simon & Idemne, Joseph & Babaran, Ricardo & Lansink, Alfons Oude, 2016. "Comparison of Private Incentive Mechanisms for Improving Sustainability of Filipino Tuna Fisheries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 264-279.
- Asche, Frank & Larsen, Thomas A. & Smith, Martin D. & Sogn-Grundvåg, Geir & Young, James A., 2015. "Pricing of eco-labels with retailer heterogeneity," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 82-93.
- Marschke, Melissa & Wilkings, Ann, 2014. "Is certification a viable option for small producer fish farmers in the global south? Insights from Vietnam," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(PA), pages 197-206.
- Melissa Marschke & Gordon Betcherman, 2016. "Vietnam’s seafood boom: Economic growth with impoverishment?," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 1129-1150, August.
- Jespersen, Karen Sau & Kelling, Ingrid & Ponte, Stefano & Kruijssen, Froukje, 2014. "What shapes food value chains? Lessons from aquaculture in Asia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(P1), pages 228-240.
- Carlucci, Domenico & Dedevitiis, Biagia & Nardone, Gianluca & Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano, 2016. "Certification Labels Vs Convenience Formats: What drives the market in aquaculture products?," MPRA Paper 75448, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsVietnam; global value chains; shrimp; aquaculture; international trade; small-scale producers; small-scale traders;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:45:y:2013:i:c:p:325-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.