Does Industry Affiliation Influence Wages? Evidence from Indonesia and the Asian Financial Crisis
We exploit panel data and large, abrupt, and unusual dislocations of Indonesian workers in the wake of the Asian Financial Crisis to investigate the robustness and persistence of inter-industry wage differentials (IWDs). Unobserved worker characteristics explain 36% of IWDs. IWDs persist through the post-crisis decade, although, consistent with a rent-sharing explanation, they shift alongside sectors’ terms of trade in the wake of the crisis. Agriculture pays a wage penalty, and manufacturing offers a statistically significant but small premium. Most IWDs do not seem to be driven by minimum wage laws, worker monitoring costs, the disagreeability of the work, job-specific skills, industry-specific human capital, nonwage benefits, or contracting terms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gruetter, Max & Lalive, Rafael, 2009.
"The importance of firms in wage determination,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 149-160, April.
- Gruetter, Max & Lalive, Rafael, 2004. "The Importance of Firms in Wage Determination," IZA Discussion Papers 1367, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Max Gruetter & Rafael Lalive, . "The Importance of Firms in Wage Determination," IEW - Working Papers 207, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1996.
"International Differences in Male Wage Inequality: Institutions versus Market Forces,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 791-836, August.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1994. "International Differences in Male Wage Inequality: Institutions versus Market Forces," NBER Working Papers 4678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz & Thomas Lemieux & Daniel Parent, 2005.
"Comparative Advantage, Learning, and Sectoral Wage Determination,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(4), pages 681-724, October.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz & Thomas Lemieux & Daniel Parent, 2002. "Comparative Advantage, Learning, and Sectoral Wage Determination," NBER Working Papers 8889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz & Thomas Lemieux & Daniel Parent, 2002. "Comparative Advantage, Learning, and Sectoral Wage Determination," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-35, CIRANO.
- Katz, Lawrence & Gibbons, Robert & Lemieux, Thomas & Parent, Daniel, 2005. "Comparative Advantage, Learning, and Sectoral Wage Determination," Scholarly Articles 2766651, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2007.
"Distributional Effects of Globalization in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 45(1), pages 39-82, March.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2007. "Distributional Effects of Globalization in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 12885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arbache, Jorge Saba & Dickerson, Andy & Green, Francis, 2004.
"Assessing the stability of the inter-industry wage structure in the face of radical economic reforms,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 149-155, May.
- Jorge Saba Arbache & Andrew Dickerson & Francis Green, 2001. "Assessing the Stability of the Inter-industry Wage Structure in the Face of Radical Economic Reforms," Studies in Economics 0103, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Zhao Chen & Ming Lu & Guanghua Wan, 2010. "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials: An Increasingly Important Contributor to Urban China Income Inequality," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-130, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007.
"The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1911, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007. "The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 12832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Erkan Erdil & I. Hakan Yetkiner, 2001. "A comparative analysis of inter-industry wage differentials: industrialized versus developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1639-1648.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1986. "Interindustry Wage Differences and Industry Characteristics," NBER Working Papers 2014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo da Silva Freguglia & Ricardo da SILVA FREGUGLIA & Naercio, .
"Inter-Regional and Inter-Industry Wage Differentials with Individual Heterogeneity: Estimates using Brazilian Data,"
- Ricardo da Silva Freguglia & Naercio Aquino Menezes-Filho, 2007. "Inter-Regional And Inter-Industry Wage Differentials With Individual Heterogeneity: Estimates Using Brazilian Data," Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 168, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Michael P. Keane, 1991.
"Individual heterogeneity and interindustry wage differentials,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
54, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Michael P. Keane, 1993. "Individual Heterogeneity and Interindustry Wage Differentials," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 134-161.
- Duncan Thomas & James P. Smith & Kathleen Beegle & Graciela Teruel & Elizabeth Frankenberg, 2002.
"Wages, employment and economic shocks: Evidence from Indonesia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 161-193.
- James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas & Elizabeth Frankenberg & Kathleen Beegle, 2000. "Wages, Employment and Economic Shocks: Evidence from Indonesia," Working Papers 00-07, RAND Corporation.
- Smith, J.P. & Thomas, D. & Frankenberg, E. & Beegle, K., 2000. "Wages, Employment and Economic Shocks: Evidence from Indonesia," Papers 00-07, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Chris Manning, 2000. "Labour Market Adjustment to Indonesia's Economic Crisis: Context, Trends and Implications," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 105-136.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1992.
"Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 515-535.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence F. Katz, 1989. "Does Unmeasured Ability Explain Inter-Industry Wage Differentials?," NBER Working Papers 3182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chun , Natalie & Khor, Niny, 2010. "Minimum Wages and Changing Wage Inequality in Indonesia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 196, Asian Development Bank.
- Paul Chen & Per-Anders Edin, 2002.
"Efficiency Wages and Industry Wage Differentials: A Comparison Across Methods of Pay,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 617-631, November.
- Chen, P. & Edin, P.A., 1996. "Efficiency Wages and Industry Wages Differentials : A Comparison Across Methods of Pay," Papers 314, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Gittleman, Maury & Wolff, Edward N, 1993. "International Comparisons of Inter-industry Wage Differentials," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(3), pages 295-312, September.
- Se-Jik Kim & Mark R. Stone, 1999. "Corporate Leverage, Bankruptcy, and Output Adjustment in Post-Crisis East Asia," IMF Working Papers 99/143, International Monetary Fund.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-77, October.
- Kam-Ki Tang & Yi-Ping Tseng, 2004. "Industry-specific human capital, knowledge labour, and industry wage structure in Taiwan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 155-164.
- David Cole & Betty Slade, 1998. "Why Has Indonesia's Financial Crisis Been so Bad?," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 61-66.
- Zhao Chen & Ming Lu & Hiroshi Sato, 2009. "Social Networks and Labor Market Entry Barriers: Understanding Inter-industrial Wage Differentials in Urban China," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-084, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Aswicahyono, Haryo & Brooks, Douglas H. & Manning, Chris, 2011. "Exports and Employment in Indonesia: The Decline in Labor-Intensive Manufacturing and the Rise of Services," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 279, Asian Development Bank.
- Krishna, Pravin & Poole, Jennifer P. & Senses, Mine Zeynep, 2011. "Trade liberalization, firm heterogeneity, and wages : new evidence from matched employer-employee data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5711, The World Bank.
- Nina Pavcnik & Andreas Blom & Pinelopi Goldberg & Norbert Schady, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Industry Wage Structure: Evidence from Brazil," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(3), pages 319-344.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Del Carpio, Ximena & Nguyen, Ha & Wang, Liang Choon, 2012. "Does the minimum wage affect employment ? evidence from the manufacturing sector in Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6147, The World Bank.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Gabriela Basurto, 2000. "The Interest Rate-Exchange Rate Nexus in the Asian Crisis Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/19, International Monetary Fund.
- J. S. Arbache, 2001. "Wage Differentials in Brazil: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 109-130.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:51:y:2013:i:c:p:47-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.