July 1989, Volume 17, Issue 7
- 1077-1095 Global feminization through flexible labor
by Standing, Guy
- 1097-1107 Policies affecting women's employment in the formal sector: Strategies for change
by Ibrahim, Barbara
- 1109-1123 Asian women wage-earners: Their situation and possibilities for donor intervention
by Heyzer, Noeleen
June 1989, Volume 17, Issue 6
- 769-781 Food and freedom
by Sen, Amartya
- 783-794 The rise, fall, and transformation of overseas construction contracting
by Strassmann, W. Paul
- 795-807 The macroeconomics of counterpart funds revisited
by Roemer, Michael
- 809-823 Taxing agriculture: Instruments and incidence
by Mohan Rao, J.
- 825-837 Apartheid: Cui bono?
by Lundahl, Mats
- 839-860 Agricultural policy and performance in Iran: The post-revolutionary experience
by Mojtahed, Ahmad & Esfahani, Hadi S.
- 861-865 Measurement of trade concentration under the United States' Caribbean Basin Initiative
by Clark, Don P.
- 867-877 Property relations and economic development: The other land reform
by Bromley, Daniel W.
- 879-895 Cash crops, food crops, and sustainability: The case of Indonesia
by Barbier, Edward B.
- 897-903 Growth of manufactured exports, primary commodity dependence, and net export earnings: Sri Lanka
by Athukorala, Premachandra & Bandara, Jayatilleke S.
- 905-922 Modeling internal colonialism: History and prospect
by Love, Joseph L.
May 1989, Volume 17, Issue 5
- 597-599 Editor's introduction
by Christiansen, Robert E.
- 601-615 Privatization in developing countries: a review of the issues
by van de Walle, Nicolas
- 617-632 The political economy of privatization in developing countries
by Bienen, Henry & Waterbury, John
- 633-641 Privatization: Not the only answer
by Vernon-Wortzel, Heidi & Wortzel, Lawrence H.
- 643-657 Privatization in the United Kingdom: Lessons from experience
by Bishop, Matthew R. & Kay, John A.
- 659-672 Public enterprise reform: Privatization and the World Bank
by Nellis, John & Kikeri, Sunita
- 673-682 Privatization in rent-seeking societies
by Glade, William
- 683-702 The (rip) tide of privatization: Lessons from Chile
by Yotopoulos, Pan A.
- 703-718 Cereals market liberalization in Mali
by Staatz, John M. & Dione, Josue & Dembele, N. Nango
- 719-728 The liberalization of rice marketing in Madagascar
by Berg, Elliot
- 729-740 The privatization of agricultural trading in Malawi
by Christiansen, Robert E. & Stackhouse, Lee Ann
- 741-756 Malaysia: Genesis of a privatization transaction
by Leeds, Roger S.
- 757-767 The fiscal impact of privatization, with some examples from Arab countries
by Heller, Peter S. & Schiller, Christian
April 1989, Volume 17, Issue 4
- 447-459 Incentive myopia
by Klitgaard, Robert
- 461-471 Economic growth and social development: A longitudinal analysis of causal priority
by Newman, Barbara A. & Thomson, Randall J.
- 473-490 Toward a growth-oriented model of financial programming
by Chand, Sheetal K.
- 491-502 Economic stabilization and structural transformation: Lessons from the Chilean experience, 1973-87
by Moran, Cristian
- 503-511 The genesis and spread of economic corruption: A microtheoretic interpretation
by Dey, Harendra Kanti
- 513-524 Relative earnings mobility in a third world country
by Randolph, Susan & Trzcinski, Eileen
- 525-542 Infrastructure pricing policies and the public revenue in African countries
by Anderson, Dennis
- 543-560 Agriculture in an export boom economy: A comparative analysis of policy and performance in Indonesia, Mexico and Nigeria
by Scherr, Sara J.
- 561-568 The allocation of aid among developing countries: A multi-donor analysis using a per capita aid index
by McGillivray, Mark
- 569-587 The politics of government-NGO relations in Africa
by Bratton, Michael
- 589-590 Impact of agricultural research and extension on crop productivity in Pakistan: A comment
by Zahid, Shahid N. & Mujahid-Mukhtar, Eshya
March 1989, Volume 17, Issue 3
- 305-328 Politics of economic liberalization in India
by Kohli, Atul
- 329-342 Trees as savings and security for the rural poor
by Chambers, Robert & Leach, Melissa
- 343-350 Impact of the responsibility system on women in rural China: An application of Sen's theory of entitlements
by Aslanbeigui, Nahid & Summerfield, Gale
- 351-355 A theoretical analysis of the informal sector
by Chaudhuri, Tamal Datta
- 357-363 Effective costs of rural loans in Bangladesh
by Ahmed, Zia U.
- 365-377 The environmental consequences of Latin America's agricultural development: Some thoughts on the Brundtland Commission report
by Redclift, Michael
- 379-396 Industrial development policy in South Africa -- the past, present and future
by Geyer, Hermanus S.
- 397-408 Policies in transition: Lessons from Madagascar
by Shuttleworth, Graham
- 409-419 An appraisal of wheat market policy in Pakistan
by Cornelisse, Peter A. & Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider
- 421-429 Bilateral trade flows and economic integration in Latin America and the Caribbean
by Thoumi, Francisco E.
- 431-438 The organization and management of statistical services in Africa: Why do they fail?
by Eele, Graham
February 1989, Volume 17, Issue 2
- 165-178 Participation in development: New avenues
by Goulet, Denis
- 179-191 Ten theses on social movements
by Fuentes, Marta & Frank, Andre Gunder
- 193-197 Lewis and Ricardo: A reinterpretation
by Grabowski, Richard & Shields, Michael P.
- 199-212 A cross-country input-output analysis of intersectoral relationships between manufacturing and services and their employment implications
by Park, Se-Hark & Chan, Kenneth S.
- 213-221 On measuring the shadow price of uncommitted fiscal resources in Africa
by Gray, Clive
- 223-235 On the causes of food insecurity in less developed countries: An empirical evaluation
by Diakosavvas, Dimitris
- 237-253 The economic costs of food self-sufficiency in China
by Yang, Yongzheng & Tyers, Rodney
- 255-266 Homework and industrial development: Gender roles and restructuring in the Spanish shoe industry
by Benton, Lauren A.
- 267-273 The comparative homogeneity of the East Asian NIC exports of similar manufactures
by Kellman, Mitchell & Chow, Peter C. Y.
- 275-292 Bauxite processing in Jamaica and Guyana: An estimate of income and foreign exchange impacts
by McCoy, James P.
- 293-298 Interests, ideology and institutions: A review of Bhagwati on protectionism
by Streeten, Paul
- 299-303 Book notes
by Gran, Guy
January 1989, Volume 17, Issue 1
- 1-16 Breeding innovation clusters: A source of dynamic development
by Debresson, Chris
- 17-27 Testing the food-first hypothesis: A cross-national study of dependency, sectoral growth and food intake in less developed countries
by Cheng, Wei-Yuan
- 29-43 Debt sustainability and overadjustment
by de Pinies, Jaime
- 45-57 Potential sources of productivity growth within Chinese industry
by Jefferson, Gary H.
- 59-67 Tourism development in LDCs: Hotel capacity expansion with reference to Barbados
by Carey, Kathleen
- 69-83 Macroeconomic consequences of the size of third world nations: With special reference to the Caribbean
by Looney, Robert E.
- 85-91 Referral systems and health care seeking behavior of patients: An economic analysis
by Mwabu, Germano M.
- 93-108 Neoliberal economic policies and infant and child mortality: Simulation analysis of a Chilean paradox
by Hojman, David E.
- 109-138 Toward a theory of the international division of industrial labor
by Kiljunen, Kimmo
- 139-155 The changing structure of petty production in Ecuador
by Middleton, Alan
- 157-159 On helping small enterprises in developing countries
by Pradhan, Rajesh K.
December 1988, Volume 16, Issue 12
- 1399-1418 The notorious nine: Critical problems in project implementation
by Gow, David D. & Morss, Elliott R.
- 1419-1439 Foreign exchange regimes and industrial growth in Bangladesh
by Stern, Joseph J. & Mallon, Richard D. & Hutcheson, Thomas L.
- 1441-1454 On the potential for expanding South-South trade through the extension of mutual preferences among developing countries
by Erzan, Refik & Laird, Samuel & Yeats, Alexander
- 1455-1463 The metamorphosis of development economics
by Theofanides, Stavros
- 1465-1479 State divestiture as a policy instrument in developing countries
by Killick, Tony & Commander, Simon
- 1481-1491 Universal primary education: An African dilemma
by Lee, Kiong Hock
- 1493-1509 Employment and economic growth in Costa Rica
by Fields, Gary S.
- 1511-1520 Market structure and LDCs' manufactured export performance
by Jebuni, C. D. & Love, J. & Forsyth, D. J. C.
- 1521-1526 The Caisse de Stabilisation in the coffee sector of the Ivory Coast
by Ridler, Neil B.
- 1527-1545 The classification of countries by cluster and by factor analysis
by Berlage, Lodewijk & Terweduwe, Dirk
- 1547-1549 International competition and industrial decentralization in South Africa: A comment
by Wellings, Paul
- 1551-1553 A reply
by Bell, Trevor
November 1988, Volume 16, Issue 11
- 1271-1294 Why LDC growth rates differ: Measuring "unmeasurable" influences
by Scholing, Eberhard & Timmermann, Vincenz
- 1295-1298 Labor productivity differences between foreign and domestic firms in Mexico
by Blomstrom, Magnus
- 1299-1315 Pricing policies in Africa with special reference to agricultural development in Malawi
by Kadyampakeni, James
- 1317-1328 Determinants of the major industrialized countries' exports to developing countries
by Schumacher, Dieter
- 1329-1339 The contribution of agriculture to economic growth: Some empirical evidence
by Hwa, Erh-Cheng
- 1341-1362 Women's work and child nutrition in the Third World
by Leslie, Joanne
- 1363-1370 Transnational corporations and Third World consumption: Implications of competitive strategies
by Jenkins, Rhys
- 1371-1376 Economic development and income inequality: Further evidence on the U-curve hypothesis
by Ram, Rati
- 1377-1387 An approach to a food aid strategy
by Ezekiel, Hannan
- 1389-1391 Corruption, delivery systems and property rights: A comment
by Trivedi, Vishwapati
- 1393-1394 A rejoinder
by Jagannathan, N. Vijay
October 1988, Volume 16, Issue 10
- 1127-1142 Mexico and the development of the practice of the International Monetary Fund
by Gold, Joseph
- 1143-1157 Foreign trade and economic development: Sri Lanka's experience
by Rajapatirana, Sarath
- 1159-1166 Is there a future for resource transfers to the LDCs?
by Boltho, Andrea
- 1167-1184 Reform of foreign aid policies: The issue of inter-country allocation in Africa
by Gulhati, Ravi & Nallari, Raj
- 1185-1198 Institutionalized obstacles to development: The case of Egypt
by Tuma, Elias H.
- 1199-1211 The state-owned enterprise as an entrepreneurial substitute in developing countries: The case of nitrogen fertilizer
by Levy, Brian
- 1213-1229 Dynamics of fuelwood prices in India: Policy implications
by Bowonder, B. & Prasad, S. S. R. & Unni, N. V. M.
- 1231-1257 The place of agricultural research in the development of sub-Saharan Africa
by Lipton, Michael
- 1259-1261 The informal sector: Empty box or portmanteau concept? : (A comment)
by Chandavarkar, Anand
- 1263-1265 The fuzziness of the informal sector: Can we afford to throw out the baby with the bath water?: (A comment)
by Khundker, Nasreen
September 1988, Volume 16, Issue 9
- 993-995 Editors' introduction
by Kumar, Shubh K. & Lipton, Michael
- 997-1011 Global food balances and food security
by Mellor, John W.
- 1013-1024 SADCC food security strategies: Evolution and role
by Hay, Roger W. & Rukuni, Mandivamba
- 1025-1034 Short-run supply management and food security: Results from Pakistan and Kenya
by Pinckney, Thomas C. & Valdes, Alberto
- 1035-1050 Rice price stabilization and food security in Bangladesh
by Ahmed, Rais Uddin
- 1051-1063 Effect of seasonal food shortage on agricultural production in Zambia
by Kumar, Shubh K.
- 1065-1074 Coping with household-level food insecurity in drought-affected areas of Burkina Faso
by Reardon, Thomas & Matlon, Peter & Delgado, Christopher
- 1075-1081 The commercialization of agriculture and household-level food security: The case of Southwestern Kenya
by Kennedy, Eileen & Cogill, Bruce
- 1083-1098 Effects of technological change in agriculture on food consumption and nutrition: Rice in a West African setting
by Von Braun, Joachim
- 1099-1112 Famine and household coping strategies
by Corbett, Jane
- 1113-1125 Famine incomes and employment: Has Botswana anything to teach Africa?
by Hay, Roger W.
August 1988, Volume 16, Issue 8
- 867-881 High inflation, heterodox stabilization, and fiscal policy
by Blejer, Mario I. & Cheasty, Adrienne
- 883-897 The indirect approach to trade liberalization: dynamic consideration on liberalization-cum-stabilization policies in Latin America
by Preusse, Heinz Gert
- 899-901 Poverty weighted measures of social welfare change
by Sawers, Larry
- 903-912 Dual factor price equalization: elements of a theory
by McMahon, Gary
- 913-919 Effectiveness of selective credit policies: Alternative framework of evaluation
by Odedokun, M. O.
- 921-933 A world economic equalization program: Refinements and sensitivity analysis
by Yunker, James A.
- 935-946 Land reform: A failure of neoclassical theorization?
by Atkins, Fiona
- 947-957 The integration of Developing countries in the GATT system
by Koekkoek, K. A.
- 959-973 Macrodynamic adjustment mechanisms in India
by Rattso, Jorn
- 975-984 Relative efficiency of cotton farms in Sudanese irrigated agriculture
by Saleem, Samir Taha
July 1988, Volume 16, Issue 7
- 771-778 Bond issues as a replacement for bank lending to LDCs: A reconsideration of the lessons of the 19th century for the present day
by Rose, Mary B. & Snowden, P. N.
- 779-786 LDC savings rates and debt crises
by Kharas, Homi J. & Levinsohn, Jim
- 787-796 Feasibility of a World Bank interest subsidy account to supplement the existing IDA program
by Sanford, Jonathan E.
- 797-805 The impact of untying aid of the European community countries
by Jepma, C. J.
- 807-820 Monetarist perspectives of Papua New Guinea's Hard Currency Strategy
by Karunaratne, Neil Dias
- 821-833 Export financing in LDCs: The role of subsidies for export performance in Brazil
by Baumann, Renato & Braga, Helson C.
- 835-845 A framework for analyzing food subsidies
by Schneider, Robert R.
- 847-856 The social costs of higher food prices: Some cross-country evidence
by Horton, Sue & Kerr, Tom & Diakosavvas, Dimitris
- 857-865 California cowpeas and food policy in Senegal
by Bingen, R. James & Hall, A. E. & Ndoye, Mbaye
June 1988, Volume 16, Issue 6
- 655-666 Tenancy and interlocking markets: issues and some evidence
by Taslim, M. A.
- 667-681 Growth of small-size enterprises in India: Its nature and content
by Kashyap, S. P.
- 683-695 Marx, Weber, and development sociology: Beyond the impasse
by Vandergeest, Peter & Buttel, Frederick H.
- 697-709 Transcending the impasse: Metatheory, theory, and empirical research in the sociology of development and underdevelopment
by Sklair, Leslie
- 711-721 Innovation, technical assistance, and development: The importance of technology users
by Gamser, Matthew S.
- 723-732 The diffusion and production of numerically controlled machine tools with special reference to Argentina
by Chudnovsky, Daniel
- 733-750 Success in Small Farmer Development: Paper making at Pang and Nanglibang, Nepal
by Messerschmidt, Donald A.
- 751-757 Third world fisheries: Prospects and problems
by Bailey, Richard
- 759-763 An extension of the simple analytics of segmented grain markets and the case for liberalization
by Singh, Harsha V.
May 1988, Volume 16, Issue 5
- 539-555 Poverty and public policy
by Bhagwati, Jagdish N.
- 557-568 The question of cross-conditionality
by Dell, Sidney
- 569-576 Participating in African monetary unions: An alternative evaluation
by Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont, Sylviane & Plane, Patrick
- 577-588 Assessing the impact of interest rates in less developed countries
by Khatkhate, Deena R.
- 589-605 Interest rates, savings, and growth in LDCs: An assessment of recent empirical research
by Gonzales Arrieta, Gerardo M.
- 607-614 Relative welfare improvements of low income versus high income countries
by Nissan, Edward & Caveny, Regina
- 615-630 China's Three Gorges Dam: "Fatal" project or step toward modernization?
by Fearnside, Philip M.
- 631-637 The nature and role of development studies in present-day Britain
by Bown, Lalage
- 639-640 Reflections on the role of the university and the developing countries
by Streeten, Paul
- 641-647 Growth and income distribution in India: A review
by Bhatt, V. V.
April 1988, Volume 16, Issue 4
- 431-448 National development planning in turbulent times: New approaches and criteria for institutional design
by Sagasti, Francisco R.
- 449-463 The interaction of factor and product market distortions in developing countries
by Balassa, Bela
- 465-482 Market structure, jobs, and productivity: Observations from Jamaica
by Doeringer, Peter B.
- 483-488 Agricultural development and the size distribution of personal income: The tropical African experience
by Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena
- 489-500 The management of irrigation systems: How to evoke trust and avoid prisoner's dilemma
by Wade, Robert
- 501-510 Evaluating loan collection performance: An Indonesian example
by Bolnick, Bruce R.
- 511-526 The multinational corporation and monopoly of patents in Nigeria
by Adikibi, Owen T.
- 527-533 Alternatives to fuelwood in African towns
by Elkan, Walter
March 1988, Volume 16, Issue 3
- 323-348 Food production strategy debates in revolutionary Ethiopia
by Cohen, John M. & Isaksson, Nils-Ivar
- 349-360 Transition to freehold in the South African reserves
by Moll, Peter G.
- 361-371 Optimal grain pricing and storage policy in controlled agricultural economies: application to Zimbabwe
by Buccola, Steven T. & Sukume, Chrispen
- 373-384 Sustainable development: differing perspectives of ecologists and economists, and relevance to LDCs
by Tisdell, Clem
- 385-394 The theory of induced institutional innovation: a critique
by Grabowski, Richard
- 395-403 Trade policy and growth of developing countries: some new data
by Singer, Hans W. & Gray, Patricia
- 405-417 Literacy and basic needs satisfaction in Mexico
by Wood, Richard Jr.
- 419-424 Farm households in rural Burkina Faso: Some evidence on allocative and direct return to schooling, and male-female labor productivity differentials
by Ram, Rati & Singh, Ram D.
- 425-430 Book Notes
by Gran, Guy
February 1988, Volume 16, Issue 2
- 207-218 Economics and the study of its past
by Rashid, Salim
- 219-229 "Market failure" and underdevelopment
by Arndt, Heinz W.
- 231-236 Collaborative research for more effective forein assistance
by Ross, Lee Ann
- 237-254 Central America's elusive economic recovery
by Lindenberg, Marc
- 255-270 Institution building: Multilateral development banks and state-owned enterprises
by Birch, Melissa H.
- 271-279 A basket peg policy: Operational issues for developing countries
by Takagi, Shinji
- 281-292 On financial innovations and credit market evolution
by Bhatt, V. V.
- 293-303 Resource accounting: An application to development planning
by Slesser, Malcolm & King, Jane
- 305-316 Hewers of wood and drawers of water: Incomes and employment in the traditional unskilled sector
by Scoville, James G.
January 1988, Volume 16, Issue 1
- 1-5 Editor's introduction: Korea's transition to maturity
by Leipziger, Danny M.
- 7-18 Korea in the 1990s: Making the transition to a developed economy
by Kim, Kihwan
- 19-34 Sociopolitical factors and Korea's future economic policies
by Steinberg, David I.
- 35-45 Korea's macroeconomic prospects and policy issues for the next decade
by Corbo, Vittorio & Nam, Sang Woo
- 47-63 Korea's export niche: Origins and prospects
by Petri, Peter A.
- 65-83 Fiscal policy and development in Korea
by Kim, Wan-Soon & Yun, K. Y.
- 85-97 Korean trade policy in the next decade: Dealing with reciprocity
by Allgeier, Peter F.
- 99-119 Labor issues in Korea's future
by Park, Se-il
- 121-135 Industrial restructuring in Korea
by Leipziger, Danny M.
- 137-155 External financing for Korea: The next phase
by Iqbal, Farrukh
- 157-167 Korean development and urbanization: Prospects and problems
by Kim, Kyung-Hwan & Mills, Edwin S.
- 169-183 Korea's exchange rate policy in a changing economic environment
by Kwack, Sung Y.
- 185-194 Financial deregulation and segmented capital markets: The case of Korea
by Edwards, Sebastian
- 195-205 Rational and non-rational expectations of inflation in Korea
by Lee, Kye Sik
December 1987, Volume 15, Issue 12
- 1-1 International monetary system -- Which way? Editor's perspective
by Khatkhate, Deena
- 1395-1405 Keynes and the International Monetary System revisited (a contextual and conjectural essay)
by Chandavarkar, Anand
- 1407-1435 Macro policy in the tropics: How sensible people stand
by Taylor, Lance
- 1437-1443 Exchange rate flexibility, target zones, and policy coordination
by Williamson, John
- 1445-1456 What role for IMF surveillance?
by Kenen, Peter B.
- 1457-1467 IMF conditionality: Conceptual problems and policy alternatives
by Bacha, Edmar L.