Contact information of Elsevier
Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Access and download statisticsTop item:
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help
correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
June 1993, Volume 21, Issue 6
May 1993, Volume 21, Issue 5
- 691-704 Postimperialism and development in Thailand
by Doner, Richard F. & Ramsay, Ansil
- 705-719 Rural labor legislation and permanent agricultural employment in Northeastern Brazil
by Schaffner, Julie Anderson
- 721-731 The limits to informal financial intermediation
by Christensen, Garry
- 733-748 Household sanitation in Kumasi, Ghana: A description of current practices, attitudes, and perceptions
by Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Choe, Kyeongae & Hughes, Jeffrey A. & Swarna, Venkateswarlu & Wright, Albert M.
- 749-769 Liberalization and diversification in a small island economy: Fiji since the 1987 coups
by Elek, Andrew & Hill, Hal & Tabor, Steven R.
- 771-789 Irrigated rice culture in monsoon Asia: The search for an effective water control technology
by Burns, Robert E.
- 791-803 Land prices, land rents, and technological change: Evidence from Pakistan
by Renkow, Mitch
- 805-815 Calculating levels of protection: Is it always appropriate to use world reference prices based on current trading status?
by Byerlee, Derek & Morris, Michael L.
- 817-827 The employment effects of an income redistribution in developing countries
by James, Jeffrey & Khan, Haider A.
- 829-840 Can the Kuznets effect be relied on to induce equalizing growth?
by Randolph, Susan M. & Lott, William F.
- 841-859 Budgetary and financial policy potency amid structural bottlenecks: Evidence from Uganda
by Murinde, Victor
- 861-867 An economic analysis of debt swaps and case study of the Harvard debt for education swap
by Van der Meulen Rodgers, Yana
- 869-881 The World Bank and the environment: The World Development Report 1992
by Taylor, Lance
April 1993, Volume 21, Issue 4
- 489-507 Private investment and democracy in Latin America
by Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Hilt, Eric
- 509-521 Importance of foreign investment for the longrun economic development of the United Arab Emirates
by Farzi, Y. H.
- 523-533 Excess liquidity and monetary overhangs
by Carpio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick
- 535-554 Observational equivalence in the modeling of African labor markets and urbanization
by Becker, Charles M. & Morrison, Andrew R.
- 555-563 Differences in uses of rural financial markets in Taiwan and the Philippines
by Adams, Dale W & Chen, H. Y. & Lamberte, M. B.
- 565-575 Introduction
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Thorbecke, Erik
- 577-590 The rocky road to reform: Trade, industrial, financial, and agricultural strategies
by Taylor, Lance
- 591-605 Impact of state and civil institutions on the operation of rural market and nonmarket configurations
by Thorbecke, Erik
- 607-622 Grassroots organizations and NGOs in rural development: Opportunities with diminishing states and expanding markets
by Uphoff, Norman
- 623-632 Between state, markets and households: A neoinstitutional analysis of local organizations and institutions
by Nugent, Jeffrey B.
- 633-639 Analytics of the institutions of informal cooperation in rural development
by Bardhan, Pranab
- 641-657 Land reform as commenced business: The evidence against stopping
by Lipton, Michael
- 659-674 Market, state, and civil organizations in Latin America beyond the debt crisis: The context for rural development
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 675-689 State-market-civil institutions: The case of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Republics
by Rausser, Gordon C. & Johnson, S. R.
March 1993, Volume 21, Issue 3
- 319-330 Old debts and new beginnings: A policy choice in transitional socialist economies
by Levine, Ross & Scott, David
- 331-347 French support for structural adjustment programs in Africa
by Wilson, Ernest III
- 349-365 Public service, rural development and careers in public management: A case study of expatriate advising and African land reform
by Roe, Emery M.
- 367-377 Whose interests? Problems in planning for women's practical needs
by Alsop, Ruth
- 379-390 South Korea's 1980s financial reforms: Good-bye financial repression (maybe), hello new institutional restraints
by Amsden, Alice H. & Euh, Yoon-Dae
- 391-406 On the determinants of direct foreign investment: Evidence from East and Southeast Asia
by Lucas, Robert E. B.
- 407-419 The length of the infant industry period: Evidence from the engineering industry in South Korea
by Jacobsson, Staffan
- 421-428 A diffusion model of industrial sector growth in developing countries
by Clark, Don P. & Kaserman, David L. & Anantanasuwong, Darrarat
- 429-443 Production of edible oils for the masses and by the masses: The impact of the ram press in Tanzania
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 445-453 Local adoption of new forestry technologies: An example from Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province
by Amacher, Gregory S. & Hyde, William F. & Rafiq, Mohammed
- 455-464 Mortgage design under inflation and real wage uncertainty: The use of a dual index instrument
by Buckley, Robert & Lipman, Barbara & Persaud, Thakoor
- 465-473 The impact of oligopsony and taxation on the Haitian coffee economy
by Lopez, Rigoberto A. & You, Zhikang
- 475-487 Peasant policy within the Nicaraguan Agrarian Reform, 1979-89
by Martinez, Philip R.
February 1993, Volume 21, Issue 2
- 191-191 Acknowledgements
by Briguglio, Lino & Kaminarides, John
- 193-195 Introduction
by Briguglio, Lino & Kaminarides, John
- 197-202 The special problems of small countries
by Streeten, Paul
- 203-211 Country size and the medium-term growth process: Some cross-country evidence
by Milner, Chris & Westaway, Tony
- 213-219 Project appraisal, the environment and sustainability for small islands
by Tisdell, Clem
- 221-226 The special working environment of senior administrators in small states
by Farrugia, Charles
- 227-232 The effects of international debt on the economic development of small countries
by Kaminarides, John & Nissan, Edward
- 233-245 Economic development in the South Pacific promoting the private sector
by Cole, Rodney V.
- 247-258 Sustainability, aid, and material welfare in small south pacific island economies, 1900-1990
by Bertram, Geoffrey
- 259-268 Manufacturing exports, economic growth and the current account in a small island economy: simulation results from an econometric model for Cyprus
by Demetriades, P. & Al-Jebory, A. & Kamperis, G.
- 269-276 The terms of trade and the direction of trade in the maltese economy
by Briguglio, Lino
- 277-289 Tourism in the gambia: some issues in development policy
by Dieke, Peter U. C.
- 291-299 The repercussions of financial imbalances in Suriname
by Caram, A. R.
- 301-310 Uneven regional development and internal labor migration in Fiji
by Sofer, Michael
- 311-318 The role of transport costs as a determinant of price level differentials between the isle of man and the United Kingdom, 1989
by Armstrong, H. & Johnes, G. & Johnes, J. & Macbean, A.
January 1993, Volume 21, Issue 1
- 1-16 Productivity and industrial development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Pack, Howard
- 17-35 Cereals demand in the Sahel and potential impacts of regional cereals protection
by Reardon, Thomas
- 37-53 Tax advice to developing countries: An historical survey
by Goode, Richard
- 55-66 States, elites, and social welfare in Southeast Asia
by Crone, Donald K.
- 67-80 Workshops as domestic domains: Reflections on small-scale industry in Mexico
by Wilson, Fiona
- 81-91 Commercial sector wages and subsistence sector labor productivity in Guatemalan agriculture
by Schweigert, Thomas E.
- 93-107 Human responses to riverine hazards in Bangladesh: A proposal for sustainable floodplain development
by Emdad Haque, C. & Zaman, M. Q.
- 109-126 Drought, transfer entitlements, and income distribution: The Botswana experience
by Valentine, Theodore R.
- 127-140 Debt crisis, adjustment policies and capital formation in developing countries: Where do we stand?
by Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres
- 141-153 Economic crisis, structural adjustment and social crisis in Nigeria
by Ihonvbere, Julius O.
- 155-160 Exports as a factor of production: A consistency test
by Sheehey, Edmund J.
- 161-175 Dollar GNP estimates for Central and Eastern Europe 1970-90: a survey and a comparison with Western countries
by Lancieri, Elio
- 177-187 Canada's demand for Third World highly trained immigrants: 1976-86
by Akbar, Sajjad & Devoretz, Don J.
December 1992, Volume 20, Issue 12
- 1703-1719 Performance and potential of information technology: An international perspective
by Mody, Ashoka & Dahlman, Carl
- 1721-1736 Information technology and competitive advantage: Lessons from the developed countries
by Cane, Alan
- 1737-1752 Informatics in Africa: Lessons from World Bank experience
by Moussa, Antoun & Schware, Robert
- 1753-1768 Use and impact of information technology in Indonesian commercial banks
by McKendrick, David
- 1769-1784 Banking automation and productivity change: The Brazilian experience
by Frischtak, Claudio
- 1785-1795 The use of information technology by the port of Singapore authority
by Wan, Tan Boon & Wah, Eric Lui Chew & Meng, Loh Chee
- 1797-1816 Keeping pace with change: Organizational and technological imperatives
by Mody, Ashoka & Suri, Rajan & Sanders, Jerry
- 1817-1828 Exploiting information technology: A case study of Singapore
by Hon, Wong Seng
- 1829-1841 Korean telecommunications development: Achievements and cautionary lessons
by Kim, Cae-One & Kim, Young Kon & Yoon, Chang-Bun
- 1843-1857 Internationalization of information technology services and public policy implications
by Ducatel, Ken & Miles, Ian
November 1992, Volume 20, Issue 11
- 1547-1560 Accounting for women's work: the progress of two decades
by Beneria, Lourdes
- 1561-1571 Financial services for microenterprises: Principles and institutions
by Rhyne, Elisabeth & Otero, Maria
- 1573-1585 Economic environments and differentiation: A comparative study of informal sector economies in Nigeria
by Anheier, Helmut K.
- 1587-1597 Aid and the Dutch disease: Macroeconomic management when everybody loves you
by Younger, Stephen D.
- 1599-1616 The performance of the labor market during recession and structural adjustment: Costa Rica in the 1980s
by Gindling, T. H. & Berry, Albert
- 1617-1630 Farmer's rights and genetic conservation in traditional farming systems
by Brush, Stephen B.
- 1631-1645 The causes of Africa's food crisis
by Jaeger, William K.
- 1647-1661 The geographic allocation of the European development fund under the Lome Conventions
by Anyadike-Danes, M. K. & Anyadike-Danes, M. N.
- 1663-1674 Multilateral assistance and sustainable development: The case of an IFAD project in the pastoral region of China
by Brown, Colin G. & Longworth, John W.
- 1675-1683 Gender differences in time and energy costs of distance for regular domestic chores in rural Zimbabwe: A case study in the Chiduku communal area
by Mehretu, Assefa & Mutambirwa, Chris
- 1685-1696 Agricultural research bias in Nicaragua: The case of beans
by Godoy, Ricardo & Hockenstein, Jeremy
- 1699-1702 A reply
by McGillivray, Mark
October 1992, Volume 20, Issue 10
- 1391-1400 Science, technology and the ecological future of Latin America
by Gallopin, Gilberto
- 1401-1422 Public participation and poverty alleviation: The experience of reform communists in India's West Bengal
by Echeverri-Gent, John
- 1423-1441 Adaptation and distress in the urban economy: A study of Kampala households
by Bigsten, Arne & Kayizzi-Mugerwa, Steve
- 1443-1461 Linkage, heterogeneity and income determinants in petty trading: The case of Calcutta
by Dasgupta, Nandini
- 1463-1470 Microenterprise credit programs: Deja vu
by Adams, Dale W & Von Pischke, J. D.
- 1471-1480 Exchange rates, trade liberalization and aid: The Sri Lankan experience
by White, Howard & Wignaraja, Ganeshan
- 1481-1488 Impact of foreign aid on the fiscal behavior of LDC governments
by Khan, Haider Ali & Hoshino, Eiichi
- 1489-1499 Development of financial markets and the size distribution of manufacturing establishments: International comparisons
by Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Nabli, Mustapha K.
- 1501-1514 A critical evaluation of exchange rate policy in Turkey
by Asikoglu, Yaman & Uctum, Merih
- 1515-1529 Liberalizing foreign direct investment regimes: The vestigial screen
by Wint, Alvin G.
- 1531-1540 The Paraguayan agro-export model of development
by Weisskoff, Richard
- 1541-1546 Economics and anthropology: Grounding models in relationships
by Lipton, Michael
September 1992, Volume 20, Issue 9
- 1225-1232 Industrialization and its manifold discontents: West, East and South
by Hirschman, Albert O.
- 1233-1251 The politics of protecting the poor during adjustment: Bolivia's emergency social fund
by Graham, Carol
- 1253-1260 Foreign aid in a period of democratization: The case of politically autonomous food funds
by Hyden, Goran & Reutlinger, Shlomo
- 1261-1277 The role of the intellectual in economic development: A constitutional perspective
by Lowenberg, Anton D. & Yu, Ben T.
- 1279-1303 Death rates, life expentancy and China's economic reforms: A critique of A.K. Sen
by Nolan, Peter & Sender, John
- 1305-1312 Life and death in China: A reply
by Sen, Amartya
- 1313-1323 A successful failure: Integrated rural development in Zambia
by Fenichel, Allen & Smith, Bruce
- 1325-1334 Response of the equilibrium real exchange rate to real disturbances in developing countries
by Khan, Mohsin S. & Ostry, Jonathan D.
- 1335-1344 What happens to investment under structural adjustment: Results from a simulation model
by Benjamin, Nancy C.
- 1345-1366 Effects of economic integration in industrial countries on ASEAN and the Asian NIEs
by Kreinin, Mordechai E. & Plummer, Michael G.
- 1367-1375 Real or illusory growth in an oil-based economy: Government expenditures and private sector investment in Saudi Arabia
by Looney, Robert E.
- 1377-1389 Small firm "presence" in Indian manufacturing
by Gang, Ira N.
August 1992, Volume 20, Issue 8
- 1077-1085 Household food security and child nutrition: the interaction of income and gender of household head
by Kennedy, Eileen & Peters, Pauline
- 1087-1099 Reform without revolt: the political economy of economic reform in the Gambia
by Radelet, Steven
- 1101-1113 Short-term resource mobilization for recurrent financing of rural local governments in Tanzania
by Therkildsen, Ole & Semboja, Joseph
- 1115-1126 A step back as donors shift institution building from the public to the "private" sector
by Meyer, Carrie A.
- 1127-1144 Sustainable agricultural development in China
by Xu, Cheng & Chunru, Han & Taylor, Donald C.
- 1145-1158 Taxing tourism in developing countries
by Bird, Richard M.
- 1159-1171 The NICs, global accumulation and uneven development: implications of a simple three- region model
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna
- 1173-1181 Effects of exchange rate risk on exports: crosscountry analysis
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ltaifa, Nabil
- 1183-1192 External debt, net transfers, and growth in developing countries
by Bacha, Edmar L.
- 1193-1207 Colombia's black market in foreign exchange
by Grosse, Robert
- 1209-1218 Migration from Nicaragua: some recent evidence
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 1219-1223 Variations on the basic needs yardstick: an application to Colombia
by Clavijo, Sergio
July 1992, Volume 20, Issue 7
- 921-945 Hunger and poverty in Iraq, 1991
by Dreze, Jean & Gazdar, Haris
- 947-958 Industrial systems and reform in North Korea: A comparison with China
by Kang, Myoung-Kyu & Lee, Keun
- 959-965 Alternative energy in the third world: A reappraisal of subsidies
by Desai, Ashok V.
- 967-977 Issues in irrigation pricing in developing countries
by Sampath, Rajan K.
- 979-989 What makes technology transfer? Small-scale hydropower in Nepal's public and private sectors
by Cromwell, Godfrey
- 991-1008 Labor costs and manufactured exports in developing countries: An econometric analysis
by Riveros, Luis A.
- 1009-1019 Pitfalls in the measurement of real exchange rate effects on agriculture
by Kyle, Steven
- 1021-1028 The static welfare economics of a small developing country's membership in a customs union: Botswana in the Southern African Customs Union
by Leith, J. Clark
- 1029-1045 Formalizing the informal sector in a changing South Africa: Small-scale manufacturing on the Witwatersrand
by Simon, David & Birch, Sarah L.
- 1047-1060 Accountability in public services: Exit, voice and control
by Paul, Samuel
- 1061-1076 The politics of US environmental assistance, 1976-1986
by Ivory, Ming
June 1992, Volume 20, Issue 6
- 779-792 The IMF, the World Bank and Africa's adjustment and external debt problems: An unofficial view
by Helleiner, G. K.
- 793-807 The politics of development policy
by Liddle, R. William
- 809-823 Household production reconsidered: Gender, labor conflict, and technological change in Malaysia's Muda region
by Hart, Gillian
- 825-839 Markets, markets everywhere? Understanding the Cuban anomaly
by Deere, Carmen Diana & Meurs, Mieke
- 841-857 Foreign direct investment in a strategically competitive environment: Coca-Cola, Belize, and the international citrus industry
by Barham, Bradford L.
- 859-872 Interaction between the formal and informal financial sectors: The Asian experience
by Ghate, P. B.
- 873-880 Management education in China: Past, present and future
by Deng, Shengliang & Wang, Yinglou
- 881-897 District-level economic linkages in Kenya: Evidence based on a small regional social accounting matrix
by Lewis, Blane D. & Thorbecke, Erik
- 899-905 Intercountry inequalities in income and basic- needs indicators: A recent perspective
by Ram, Rati
- 907-918 The payoff of developing a small-scale phosphate mine and beneficiating operation in the Mbeya region of Tanzania
by Van Vuuren, W. & Hamilton, J. G.
May 1992, Volume 20, Issue 5
April 1992, Volume 20, Issue 4
- 477-479 Introduction
by Brandon, Katrina Eadie & Brandon, Carter
- 481-496 Economic growth and the environment: Whose growth? whose environment?
by Beckerman, Wilfred
- 497-512 Structural adjustment, primary resource trade and sustainable development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Cheru, Fantu
- 513-521 Obligations to future generations: A philosophical note
by Pasek, Joanna
- 523-530 Can environmental problems be subject to economic calculations?
by Amin, Samir
- 531-540 Macropolicy and the environment: A framework for analysis
by Girma, Messaye
- 541-555 An end-user approach to the measurement of performance of capital in an environmental context in Asia
by Cook, Peter & Stevens, Jonathan
- 557-570 Planning for people and parks: Design dilemmas
by Brandon, Katrina Eadie & Wells, Michael
- 571-585 Protecting fragile lands: New reasons to tackle old problems
by Forster, Nancy R.
- 587-595 Evolving connectedness among environmental groups and grassroots organizations in protected areas of Central America
by Annis, Sheldon
- 597-608 Recurring contradictions in agrarian development: Pesticide problems in Caribbean basin nontraditional agriculture
by Murray, Douglas L. & Hoppin, Polly
- 609-618 Accelerating ozone layer protection in developing countries
by Munasinghe, Mohan & King, Kenneth
- 619-626 The United Nations development system and environmental management
by von Moltke, Konrad
- 627-640 The sustainability of privilege: Reflections on the environment, the third world city, and poverty
by Olpadwala, Porus & Goldsmith, William W.
March 1992, Volume 20, Issue 3
- 309-320 Conceptual issues in the design of trade policy for industrialization
by Rodnik, Dani
- 321-334 Buyer-seller links in export development
by Egan, Mary Lou & Mody, Ashoka
- 335-349 The revolving door? External debt and capital flight: A Philippine case study
by Boyce, James K.
- 351-367 Income tax reform in Colombia and Venezuela: A comparative history
by McLure, Charles Jr.
- 369-383 Promoting the sustainability of development institutions: A framework for strategy
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W. & Goldsmith, Arthur A.
- 385-399 Struggling with Honduran poverty: The environmental consequences of natural resource-based development and rural transformations
by Stonich, Susan C.
- 401-422 The structural transformation of Taiwan's tea industry
by Etherington, Dan M. & Forster, Keith
- 423-436 Segmentation in rural financial markets: the case of Nepal
by Yadav, S. & Otsuka, K. & David, C. C.
- 437-455 Fertilizer price and subsidy policies in Bangladesh
by Renfro, Raymond Z. H.
- 457-465 The management of secondary consequences in dam projects: The case of drawdown agriculture in Indonesia
by Winarto, Yunita T.
- 467-475 Development: Creator and destroyer of values
by Goulet, Denis
February 1992, Volume 20, Issue 2
- 143-164 Software industry entry strategies for developing countries: A "walking on two legs" proposition
by Schware, Robert
- 165-186 Technological capabilities and industrialization
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 187-197 The government, financial system, and large private enterprises in the economic development of South Korea
by Lee, Chung H.
- 199-212 A subsector approach to small enterprise promotion and research
by Boomgard, James J. & Davies, Stephen P. & Haggblade, Steven J. & Mead, Donald C.
- 213-227 Gender and state bias in Jamaican housing programs
by Klak, Thomas H. & Hey, Jeanne K.
- 229-240 Popular participation and central planning in Cuban socialism: The experience of agriculture in the 1980s
by Meurs, Mieke
- 241-253 Integration of environmental concerns into agricultural policies of industrial and developing countries
by Lutz, Ernst & Young, Michael
- 255-259 A framework for improving environmental management: Beyond the market mechanism
by Redclift, Michael R.
- 261-274 Sustaining agricultural development in harsh environments: Insights from private land reclamation in Egypt
by Tomich, Thomas P.
- 275-282 Technology adoption on small farms
by Rauniyar, Ganesh P. & Goode, Frank M.
- 283-288 The time-series behavior of Brazilian real gross domestic product, 1947-87: An analysis of interventions
by Tombini, Alexandre A. & Newbold, Paul
- 289-302 Balance of payments, output and prices in Tanzania
by Sepehri, Ardeshir
- 303-308 Determinants of health care expenditure in Africa: A cross-sectional study
by Gbesemete, Kwame P. & Gerdtham, Ulf-G.
January 1992, Volume 20, Issue 1