MNEs and Local Linkages: Evidence from Taiwanese Affiliates
Summary This paper, using Taiwanese firms as a case study, has identified several factors affecting the formation of local linkages, which has important implications for the embeddedness of MNEs in the host countries. It shows that while the ownership structure, the motivation of overseas investment, and the autonomy given to affiliates are all important, the production networks and experience of affiliates in the host country also play crucial roles in creating local linkage. In addition, country-specific factors (e.g., culture and ethnic ties, the presence of foreign MNEs, and the supply of key components) may be significant forces leading to large local linkages.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P N O'Farrell & B O'Loughlin, 1981. "New Industry Input Linkages in Ireland: An Econometric Analysis," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 13(3), pages 285-308, March.
- N. A. Phelps & Danny Mackinnon & Ian Stone & Paul Braidford, 2003. "Embedding the Multinationals? Institutions and the Development of Overseas Manufacturing Affiliates in Wales and North East England," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 27-40.
- Kelegama, Saman & Foley, Fritz, 1999. "Impediments to Promoting Backward Linkages from the Garment Industry in Sri Lanka," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1445-1460, August.
- René Belderbos & Giovanni Capannelli & Kyoji Fukao, 2000. "The Local Content of Japanese Electronics Manufacturing Operations in Asia," NBER Chapters, in: The Role of Foreign Direct Investment in East Asian Economic Development, NBER-EASE Volume 9, pages 9-47 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weisskoff, Richard & Wolff, Edward N, 1977. " Linkages and Leakages: Industrial Tracking in an Enclave Economy," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(4), pages 607-28, July.
- Mike Crone & Stephen Roper, 2001. "Local Learning from Multinational Plants: Knowledge Transfers in the Supply Chain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 535-548.
- Holger Gorg & Frances Ruane, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Linkages: Panel-Data Evidence for the Irish Electronics Sector," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 1-18.
- Homin Chen & Tain-Jy Chen, 1998. "Network Linkages and Location Choice in Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 445-467, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordaan, Jacob A., 2008. "Intra- and Inter-industry Externalities from Foreign Direct Investment in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector: New Evidence from Mexican Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2838-2854, December.
- Philip Mccann, 1997. "How Deeply Embedded is Silicon Glen? A Cautionary Note," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(7), pages 695-703.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
- Peter J. Buckley & Frances Ruane, 2006.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Ireland: Policy Implications for Emerging Economies,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1611-1628, November.
- Frances Ruane & Peter J. Buckley, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment in Ireland: Policy Implications for Emerging Economies," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp113, IIIS.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:13:y:2007:i:3:p:268-284 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haupt, Harry & Oberhofer, Walter, 2006. "Generalized adding-up in systems of regression equations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 263-269, August.
- Tain-Jy Chen, 2003. "Network Resources for Internationalization: The Case of Taiwan's Electronics Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1107-1130, 07.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-73, September.
- M. Crone & H. D. Watts, 2000. "MNE Supply Linkages and the Local SME Sector: Evidence from Yorkshire and Humberside," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 15(4), pages 325-337, November.
- Tain-Jy Chen & Homin Chen & Ying-Hua Ku, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and local linkages," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 320-333, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:39:y:2011:i:4:p:633-647. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.