Do Village Funds Improve Access to Finance? Evidence from Thailand
Summary This paper examines whether recently introduced "village funds," one of the largest microfinance programs ever implemented, improve access to finance. Village funds are analyzed in a cross-sectional approach in comparison to competing financial institutions. We find, first, that they reach the target group of lower income households better than formal financial institutions. Second, village funds provide loans to those kinds of borrowers who tend to be customers of informal financial institutions. Third, village funds help to reduce credit constraints. Thus, village funds provide services in the intended direction, albeit to a seemingly limited degree.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, .
"The empirics of microfinance: what do we know?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/14198, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Franklin Allen & Jun Qian & Meijun Qian, 2002.
"Law, Finance, and Economic Growth in China,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kochar, Anjini, 1997. "An empirical investigation of rationing constraints in rural credit markets in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 339-371, August.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Imperfect Information and Rural Credit Markets--Puzzles and Policy Perspectives," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 235-50, September.
- Guirkinger, Catherine, 2008. "Understanding the Coexistence of Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Piura, Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1436-1452, August.
- Siamwalla, Ammar, et al, 1990. "The Thai Rural Credit System: Public Subsidies, Private Information, and Segmented Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 271-95, September.
- Jonathan Conning & Christopher Udry, 2005.
"Rural Financial Markets in Developing Countries,"
914, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2007.
"Households’ Saving and Debt in Italy,"
CSEF Working Papers
183, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Jappelli Tullio & Marino Immacolata & Padula Mario, 2014. "Households' Saving and Debt in Italy," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2-3, pages 175-202.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2007. "Households' saving and debt in Italy," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/30, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Tullio Jappelli & Immacolata Marino & Mario Padula, 2015. "Households' Saving and Debt in Italy," CSEF Working Papers 395, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Peter Wright & Mahmud Mohieldin,, .
"Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Egypt,"
96/2, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Shawn Cole, 2009.
"Fixing Market Failures or Fixing Elections? Agricultural Credit in India,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 219-50, January.
- Shawn A. Cole, 2008. "Fixing Market Failures or Fixing Elections? Agricultural Credit in India," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-001, Harvard Business School.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Lund, Susan, 2003.
"Risk-sharing networks in rural Philippines,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 261-287, August.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, 2000. "Risk-Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines," Economics Series Working Papers 10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, . "Risk Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines," Working Papers 97014, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2007.
"Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam,"
07-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2008. "Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 485-503.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt, 2008. "Access to Finance: An Unfinished Agenda," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 383-396, November.
- Sarmistha Pal, 2002. "Household sectoral choice and effective demand for rural credit in India," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1743-1755.
- Joseph P. Kaboski & Robert M. Townsend, 2012. "The Impact of Credit on Village Economies," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 98-133, April.
- Zeller, Manfred, 1994. "Determinants of credit rationing: A study of informal lenders and formal credit groups in Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1895-1907, December.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Boonperm, Jirawan & Haughton, Jonathan & Khandker, Shahidur R., 2009. "Does the village fund matter in Thailand ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5011, The World Bank.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- Joseph P. Kaboski & Robert M. Townsend, 2005. "Policies and Impact: An Analysis of Village-Level Microfinance Institutions," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-50, 03.
- Jain, Sanjay, 1999. "Symbiosis vs. crowding-out: the interaction of formal and informal credit markets in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 419-444, August.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2010.
"Formal versus Informal Finance: Evidence from China,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3048-3097, August.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008. "Formal versus informal finance : evidence from China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4465, The World Bank.
- Jain, Sanjay & Mansuri, Ghazala, 2003. "A little at a time: the use of regularly scheduled repayments in microfinance programs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 253-279, October.
- Biddle, Gary C. & Bowen, Robert M. & Wallace, James S., 1997. "Does EVA(R) beat earnings? Evidence on associations with stock returns and firm values," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 301-336, December.
- Petrick, Martin, 2003.
"Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey,"
IAMO Discussion Papers
45, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Martin Petrick, 2005. "Empirical measurement of credit rationing in agriculture: a methodological survey," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 191-203, 09.
- Healy, Andrew J. & Jitsuchon, Somchai, 2007. "Finding the poor in Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 739-759, October.
- Bell, Clive, 1990. "Interactions between Institutional and Informal Credit Agencies in Rural India," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 297-327, September.
- Ghate, P. B., 1992. "Interaction between the formal and informal financial sectors: The Asian experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 859-872, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:39:y:2011:i:1:p:110-122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.