Can Public–Private Partnerships Leverage Private Investment in Agricultural Value Chains in Africa? A Preliminary Review
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Wanzala, M. & Demeke, M., 2003. "Fertilizer market development: a comparative analysis of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Zambia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 293-316, August.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, January.
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Palmer, Natasha & Mills, Anne, 2005. "Contracts in the real world: Case studies from Southern Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 2505-2514, June.
- James C. Hanson & Richard E. Just, 2001. "The Potential for Transition to Paid Extension: Some Guiding Economic Principles," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 777-784.
- Pingali, P. L. & Traxler, G., 2002. "Changing locus of agricultural research: will the poor benefit from biotechnology and privatization trends?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 223-238, June.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
- Coulter, J. & Onumah, G., 2002. "The role of warehouse receipt systems in enhanced commodity marketing and rural livelihoods in Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 319-337, August.
- Bahiigwa, Godfrey & Rigby, Dan & Woodhouse, Philip, 2005. "Right Target, Wrong Mechanism? Agricultural Modernization and Poverty Reduction in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 481-496, March.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Graeme A. Hodge & Carsten Greve, 2009. "PPPs: THE PASSAGE OF TIME PERMITS A SOBER REFLECTION," Economic Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 33-39, March.
- Spielman,David J. & Hartwich,Frank & von Grebmer, Klaus, 2007. "Sharing science, building bridges, and enhancing impact: Public-Private Partnerships in the CGIAR," IFPRI discussion papers 708, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Colin Poulton & Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Overcoming Market Constraints on Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 243-277, May.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Buse, Kent & Harmer, Andrew M., 2007. "Seven habits of highly effective global public-private health partnerships: Practice and potential," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 259-271, January.
- Benin, Samuel & Nkonya, Ephraim & Okecho, Geresom & Pender, John & Nahdy, Silim & Mugarura, Samuel & Kayobyo, Godfrey, 2007. "Assessing the impact of the National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) in the Uganda rural livelihoods:," IFPRI discussion papers 724, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Raynolds, Laura T., 2004. "The Globalization of Organic Agro-Food Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 725-743, May.
- Langyintuo, Augustine S. & Mwangi, Wilfred & Diallo, Alpha O. & MacRobert, John & Dixon, John & Bänziger, Marianne, 2010. "Challenges of the maize seed industry in eastern and southern Africa: A compelling case for private-public intervention to promote growth," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 323-331, August.
- Poulton, Colin & Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions, and Intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1413-1428, October.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "Saving two in a billion: : quantifying the trade effect of European food safety standards on African exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 495-514, October.
- David Boselie & Spencer Henson & Dave Weatherspoon, 2003. "Supermarket Procurement Practices in Developing Countries: Redefining the Roles of the Public and Private Sectors," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1155-1161.
- Chataway, Joanna & Smith, James, 2006. "The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI): Is It Getting New Science and Technology to the World's Neglected Majority?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 16-30, January.
- Ramiah, Ilavenil & Reich, Michael R., 2006. "Building effective public-private partnerships: Experiences and lessons from the African Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Partnerships (ACHAP)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 397-408, July.
- Hans Van Ham & Joop Koppenjan, 2001. "BUILDING PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS: Assessing and managing risks in port development," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 593-616, December.
- Narrod, Clare & Roy, Devesh & Okello, Julius & Avendaño, Belem & Rich, Karl & Thorat, Amit, 2009. "Public-private partnerships and collective action in high value fruit and vegetable supply chains," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 8-15, February.
- Anthony Bebbington & Octavio Sotomayor, 1998. "Demand-led and poverty-oriented … Or just subcontracted and efficient? Learning from (semi-) privatized technology transfer programmes in Chile," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 17-34.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jones, Sam & Tarp, Finn, 2013. "Jobs and Welfare in Mozambique," WIDER Working Paper Series 045, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:103:y:2018:i:c:p:162-175 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul E. McNamara & Joyous S. Tata, 2015. "Principles of Designing and Implementing Agricultural Extension Programs for Reducing Post-harvest Loss," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(4), pages 1-12, October.
- Liesbeth Dries & Domenico Dentoni, 2015.
"Private sector investments to create market-supporting institutions: The case of Malawian Agricultural Commodity Exchange,"
2015/08, Maastricht School of Management.
- Dentoni, Domenico & Dries, Liesbeth, 2015. "Private sector investments to create market-supporting institutions: The case of Malawian Agricultural Commodity Exchange," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205709, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association;Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Abebe, Gumataw K. & Bijman, Jos & Kemp, Ron & Omta, Onno & Tsegaye, Admasu, 2013. "Contract farming configuration: Smallholders’ preferences for contract design attributes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 14-24.
- Negash, Martha & Riera, Olivia, 2014. "Biodiesel value chain and access to energy in Ethiopia: Policies and business prospects," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 975-985.
More about this item
Keywordsmarket failure; state failure; public private partnerships (PPP); agriculture; Africa;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:40:y:2012:i:1:p:96-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.