Can Public–Private Partnerships Leverage Private Investment in Agricultural Value Chains in Africa? A Preliminary Review
Public–private partnerships (PPPs) may be one way of increasing the level of private sector investment into poorly performing agricultural value chains. This paper considers a range of PPP mechanisms that respond to different market failures affecting such chains and draws on principal–agent theory to illustrate the challenges. It reviews emerging experience with a number of these mechanisms along with experience from other sectors that may shed light on “generic” problems of implementing PPPs in Africa. While finding some positive impacts on investment, it notes that state failures can also undermine PPP effectiveness. As the evidence base is still limited, it calls on organizations promoting innovative PPPs to disclose available information for critical examination.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramiah, Ilavenil & Reich, Michael R., 2006. "Building effective public-private partnerships: Experiences and lessons from the African Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Partnerships (ACHAP)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 397-408, July.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, June.
- Buse, Kent & Harmer, Andrew M., 2007. "Seven habits of highly effective global public-private health partnerships: Practice and potential," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 259-271, January.
- Pingali, P. L. & Traxler, G., 2002. "Changing locus of agricultural research: will the poor benefit from biotechnology and privatization trends?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 223-238, June.
- Narrod, Clare & Roy, Devesh & Okello, Julius & Avendaño, Belem & Rich, Karl & Thorat, Amit, 2009. "Public-private partnerships and collective action in high value fruit and vegetable supply chains," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 8-15, February.
- Hans Van Ham & Joop Koppenjan, 2001. "BUILDING PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS: Assessing and managing risks in port development," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 593-616, December.
- Benin, Samuel & Nkonya, Ephraim & Okecho, Geresom & Pender, John & Nahdy, Silim & Mugarura, Samuel & Kayobyo, Godfrey, 2007. "Assessing the impact of the National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS) in the Uganda rural livelihoods:," IFPRI discussion papers 724, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Raynolds, Laura T., 2004. "The Globalization of Organic Agro-Food Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 725-743, May.
- James C. Hanson & Richard E. Just, 2001. "The Potential for Transition to Paid Extension: Some Guiding Economic Principles," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 777-784.
- Palmer, Natasha & Mills, Anne, 2005. "Contracts in the real world: Case studies from Southern Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 2505-2514, June.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
- Langyintuo, Augustine S. & Mwangi, Wilfred & Diallo, Alpha O. & MacRobert, John & Dixon, John & Bänziger, Marianne, 2010. "Challenges of the maize seed industry in eastern and southern Africa: A compelling case for private-public intervention to promote growth," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 323-331, August.
- Coulter, J. & Onumah, G., 2002. "The role of warehouse receipt systems in enhanced commodity marketing and rural livelihoods in Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 319-337, August.
- Bahiigwa, Godfrey & Rigby, Dan & Woodhouse, Philip, 2005. "Right Target, Wrong Mechanism? Agricultural Modernization and Poverty Reduction in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 481-496, March.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Wilson, John S. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2001. "Saving two in a billion: : quantifying the trade effect of European food safety standards on African exports," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 495-514, October.
- Poulton, Colin & Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions, and Intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1413-1428, October.
- Colin Poulton & Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Overcoming Market Constraints on Pro-Poor Agricultural Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 243-277, 05.
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Anthony Bebbington & Octavio Sotomayor, 1998. "Demand-led and poverty-oriented … Or just subcontracted and efficient? Learning from (semi-) privatized technology transfer programmes in Chile," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 17-34.
- David Boselie & Spencer Henson & Dave Weatherspoon, 2003. "Supermarket Procurement Practices in Developing Countries: Redefining the Roles of the Public and Private Sectors," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1155-1161.
- Spielman,David J. & Hartwich,Frank & von Grebmer, Klaus, 2007. "Sharing science, building bridges, and enhancing impact: Public-Private Partnerships in the CGIAR," IFPRI discussion papers 708, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Wanzala, M. & Demeke, M., 2003. "Fertilizer market development: a comparative analysis of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Zambia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 293-316, August.
- Graeme A. Hodge & Carsten Greve, 2009. "PPPs: THE PASSAGE OF TIME PERMITS A SOBER REFLECTION," Economic Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 33-39, 03.
- Chataway, Joanna & Smith, James, 2006. "The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI): Is It Getting New Science and Technology to the World's Neglected Majority?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 16-30, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:40:y:2012:i:1:p:96-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.