Social Science & Medicine
2017, Volume 189, Issue C
- 1-10 Assessing income redistributive effect of health financing in Zambia
by Mulenga, Arnold & Ataguba, John Ele-Ojo
- 11-16 Did the Great Recession affect mortality rates in the metropolitan United States? Effects on mortality by age, gender and cause of death
by Strumpf, Erin C. & Charters, Thomas J. & Harper, Sam & Nandi, Arijit
- 17-24 Young adults' experiences of neighbourhood smoking-related norms and practices: A qualitative study exploring place-based social inequalities in smoking
by Glenn, Nicole M. & Lapalme, Josée & McCready, Geneviève & Frohlich, Katherine L.
- 25-34 Does social trust increase willingness to pay taxes to improve public healthcare? Cross-sectional cross-country instrumental variable analysis
by Habibov, Nazim & Cheung, Alex & Auchynnikava, Alena
- 35-43 Academic advocacy in public health: Disciplinary ‘duty’ or political ‘propaganda’?
by Smith, K.E. & Stewart, E.A.
- 44-52 Ethnic density, immigrant enclaves, and Latino health risks: A propensity score matching approach
by Li, Kelin & Wen, Ming & Henry, Kevin A.
- 53-62 Which characteristics of planning matter? Individual and dyadic physical activity plans and their effects on plan enactment
by Keller, Jan & Fleig, Lena & Hohl, Diana Hilda & Wiedemann, Amelie U. & Burkert, Silke & Luszczynska, Aleksandra & Knoll, Nina
- 63-75 Rapid qualitative research methods during complex health emergencies: A systematic review of the literature
by Johnson, Ginger A. & Vindrola-Padros, Cecilia
- 76-85 Association between housing type and γ-GTP increase after the Great East Japan Earthquake
by Murakami, Aya & Sugawara, Yumi & Tomata, Yasutake & Sugiyama, Kemmyo & Kaiho, Yu & Tanji, Fumiya & Tsuji, Ichiro
- 86-95 Informal cash payments for birth in Hungary: Are women paying to secure a known provider, respect, or quality of care?
by Baji, Petra & Rubashkin, Nicholas & Szebik, Imre & Stoll, Kathrin & Vedam, Saraswathi
- 96-104 Cultural values and the prevalence of mental disorders in 25 countries: A secondary data analysis
by Heim, Eva & Wegmann, Iris & Maercker, Andreas
- 105-113 Informal assistance to urban families and the risk of household food insecurity
by King, Christian
- 114-128 Values for the ICECAP-Supportive Care Measure (ICECAP-SCM) for use in economic evaluation at end of life
by Huynh, Elisabeth & Coast, Joanna & Rose, John & Kinghorn, Philip & Flynn, Terry
- 129-137 Status inconsistency and mental health: A random effects and instrumental variables analysis using 14 annual waves of cohort data
by Milner, Allison & Aitken, Zoe & Kavanagh, Anne & LaMontagne, Anthony D. & Petrie, Dennis
- 138-144 Associations of relative deprivation and income rank with depressive symptoms among older adults in Japan
by Gero, Krisztina & Kondo, Katsunori & Kondo, Naoki & Shirai, Kokoro & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 145-151 Violence exposure and adolescents' same-day obesogenic behaviors: New findings and a replication
by Piontak, Joy Rayanne & Russell, Michael A. & Danese, Andrea & Copeland, William E. & Hoyle, Rick H. & Odgers, Candice L.
- 158-166 Tweeting celebrity suicides: Users' reaction to prominent suicide deaths on Twitter and subsequent increases in actual suicides
by Ueda, Michiko & Mori, Kota & Matsubayashi, Tetsuya & Sawada, Yasuyuki
2017, Volume 188, Issue C
- 1-10 Contextualizing educational differences in “vaccination uptake”: A thirty nation survey
by Makarovs, Kirils & Achterberg, Peter
- 11-20 Intergenerational social mobility and subjective wellbeing in later life
by Iveson, Matthew H. & Deary, Ian J.
- 21-29 Same medicine, different reasons: Comparing women's bodily experiences of producing eggs for pregnancy or for profit
by Almeling, Rene & Willey, Iris L.
- 30-40 Meta-analysis and systematic review of studies on the effectiveness of HIV stigma reduction programs
by Mak, Winnie W.S. & Mo, Phoenix K.H. & Ma, Gloria Y.K. & Lam, Maggie Y.Y.
- 41-50 Switching to sanitation: Understanding latrine adoption in a representative panel of rural Indian households
by Coffey, Diane & Spears, Dean & Vyas, Sangita
- 51-59 Medication takeovers: Covert druggings and behavioral control in Alzheimer's
by Berry, Brandon & Apesoa-Varano, Ester Carolina
- 60-68 Neighborhood SES is particularly important to the cardiovascular health of low SES individuals
by Boylan, Jennifer Morozink & Robert, Stephanie A.
- 69-81 Decentralization of health care systems and health outcomes: Evidence from a natural experiment
by Jiménez-Rubio, Dolores & García-Gómez, Pilar
- 82-90 Community Action for Health in India’s National Rural Health Mission: One policy, many paths
by Gaitonde, Rakhal & San Sebastian, Miguel & Muraleedharan, V.R. & Hurtig, Anna-Karin
- 91-99 Removing user fees for health services: A multi-epistemological perspective on access inequities in Senegal
by Mladovsky, Philipa & Ba, Maymouna
- 100-108 “What kept me going”: A qualitative study of avoidant responses to war-related adversity and perpetration of violence by former forcibly recruited children and youth in the Acholi region of northern Uganda
by Harnisch, Helle & Montgomery, Edith
- 109-118 The application of Signalling Theory to health-related trust problems: The example of herbal clinics in Ghana and Tanzania
by Hampshire, Kate & Hamill, Heather & Mariwah, Simon & Mwanga, Joseph & Amoako-Sakyi, Daniel
- 119-127 Healing and/or breaking? The mental health implications of repeated economic insecurity
by Watson, Barry & Osberg, Lars
- 128-136 The impact of education on the probability of receiving periodontal treatment. Causal effects measured by using the introduction of a school reform in Norway
by Grytten, Jostein & Skau, Irene
- 137-156 Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA) for evaluating new medicines in Health Technology Assessment and beyond: The Advance Value Framework
by Angelis, Aris & Kanavos, Panos
- 157-165 Is structural stigma's effect on the mortality of sexual minorities robust? A failure to replicate the results of a published study
by Regnerus, Mark
- 166-175 Pathways between childhood/adolescent adversity, adolescent socioeconomic status, and long-term cardiovascular disease risk in young adulthood
by Doom, Jenalee R. & Mason, Susan M. & Suglia, Shakira F. & Clark, Cari Jo
- 176-190 The proliferation of sexual health: Diverse social problems and the legitimation of sexuality
by Epstein, Steven & Mamo, Laura
- 191-200 Genetic endowments, parental resources and adult health: Evidence from the Young Finns Study
by Pehkonen, Jaakko & Viinikainen, Jutta & Böckerman, Petri & Lehtimäki, Terho & Pitkänen, Niina & Raitakari, Olli
2017, Volume 187, Issue C
- 1-10 Fundamental causes of accelerated declines in colorectal cancer mortality: Modeling multiple ways that disadvantage influences mortality risk
by Clouston, Sean A.P. & Rubin, Marcie S. & Chae, David H. & Freese, Jeremy & Nemesure, Barbara & Link, Bruce G.
- 11-19 Longitudinal effects of religious involvement on religious coping and health behaviors in a national sample of African Americans
by Holt, Cheryl L. & Roth, David L. & Huang, Jin & Park, Crystal L. & Clark, Eddie M.
- 20-28 A model of how targeted and universal welfare entitlements impact on material, psycho-social and structural determinants of health in older adults
by Green, Judith & Buckner, Stefanie & Milton, Sarah & Powell, Katie & Salway, Sarah & Moffatt, Suzanne
- 29-38 Cognitive functioning among Dutch older adults: Do neighborhood socioeconomic status and urbanity matter?
by Wörn, Jonathan & Ellwardt, Lea & Aartsen, Marja & Huisman, Martijn
- 39-48 How seasonality and weather affect perinatal health: Comparing the experiences of indigenous and non-indigenous mothers in Kanungu District, Uganda
by MacVicar, Sarah & Berrang-Ford, Lea & Harper, Sherilee & Steele, Vivienne & Lwasa, Shuaib & Bambaiha, Didacus Namanya & Twesigomwe, Sabastien & Asaasira, Grace & Ross, Nancy
- 49-57 Table talk: How mothers and adolescents across socioeconomic status discuss food
by Fielding-Singh, Priya & Wang, Jennifer
- 58-66 Gender and the structure of self-rated health across the adult life span
by Zajacova, Anna & Huzurbazar, Snehalata & Todd, Megan
- 67-75 Supporting the role of community members employed as research staff: Perspectives of community researchers working in addiction research
by True, Gala & Alexander, Leslie B. & Fisher, Celia B.
- 76-84 Investigating tangible and mental resources as predictors of perceived household food insecurity during pregnancy among women in a South African birth cohort study
by Pellowski, Jennifer A. & Barnett, Whitney & Kuo, Caroline C. & Koen, Nastassja & Zar, Heather J. & Stein, Dan J.
- 85-92 Black-white metropolitan segregation and self-rated health: Investigating the role of neighborhood poverty
by Do, D. Phuong & Frank, Reanne & Iceland, John
- 93-100 Prudence, pleasure, and cognitive ageing: Configurations of the uses and users of brain training games within UK media, 2005–2015
by Pickersgill, Martyn & Broer, Tineke & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Deary, Ian
- 101-108 Maternal breastfeeding and children's cognitive development
by Koh, Kanghyock
- 109-117 A prospective study of associations among helping, health, and longevity
by Hilbrand, Sonja & Coall, David A. & Meyer, Andrea H. & Gerstorf, Denis & Hertwig, Ralph
- 118-125 Work-related illness, work-related accidents, and lack of social security in Colombia
by Buitrago Echeverri, María Teresa & Abadía-Barrero, César Ernesto & Granja Palacios, Consuelo
- 126-133 Dog-bites, rabies and One Health: Towards improved coordination in research, policy and practice
by Rock, Melanie J. & Rault, Dawn & Degeling, Chris
- 134-143 Long-term health consequences of recessions during working years
by Antonova, Liudmila & Bucher-Koenen, Tabea & Mazzonna, Fabrizio
- 144-154 Relative importance of 13 correlates of child stunting in South Asia: Insights from nationally representative data from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, and Pakistan
by Kim, Rockli & Mejía-Guevara, Iván & Corsi, Daniel J. & Aguayo, Víctor M. & Subramanian, S.V.
- 155-163 A qualitative study of barriers and facilitators in treating drug use among Israeli mothers: An intersectional perspective
by Gueta, Keren
- 164-173 Social and emotional wellbeing assessment instruments for use with Indigenous Australians: A critical review
by Le Grande, M. & Ski, C.F. & Thompson, D.R. & Scuffham, P. & Kularatna, S. & Jackson, A.C. & Brown, A.
- 174-183 “Developing culturally sensitive affect scales for global mental health research and practice: Emotional balance, not named syndromes, in Indian Adivasi subjective well-being”
by Snodgrass, Jeffrey G. & Lacy, Michael G. & Upadhyay, Chakrapani
- 184-192 Long-term physical health consequences of perceived inequality: Results from a twin comparison design
by Schwartz, Joseph A.
- 193-202 Causal effects of transitions to adult roles on early adult smoking and drinking: Evidence from three cohorts
by Green, Michael J. & Leyland, Alastair H. & Sweeting, Helen & Benzeval, Michaela
- 208-216 Austerity and the “sector-wide approach” to health: The Mozambique experience
by Pfeiffer, James & Gimbel, Sarah & Chilundo, Baltazar & Gloyd, Stephen & Chapman, Rachel & Sherr, Kenneth
- 217-224 Working in scarcity: Effects on social interactions and biomedical care in a Tanzanian hospital
by Strong, Adrienne E.
- 225-232 Narrating health and scarcity: Guyanese healthcare workers, development reformers, and sacrifice as solution from socialist to neoliberal governance
by Walker, Alexis
- 233-242 Producing a worthy illness: Personal crowdfunding amidst financial crisis
by Berliner, Lauren S. & Kenworthy, Nora J.
- 243-250 Rationing hepatitis C treatment in the context of austerity policies in France and Cameroon: A transnational perspective on the pharmaceuticalization of healthcare systems
by Chabrol, Fanny & David, Pierre-Marie & Krikorian, Gaëlle
- 251-258 “Sharing One's Destiny”: Effects of austerity on migrant health provisioning in the Mediterranean borderlands
by Carney, Megan A.
- 259-267 Austerity and its implications for immigrant health in France
by Sargent, Carolyn & Kotobi, Laurence
- 268-275 “How the other half live”: Lay perspectives on health inequalities in an age of austerity
by Garthwaite, Kayleigh & Bambra, Clare
- 276-286 Financialisation in health care: An analysis of private equity fund investments in Turkey
by Eren Vural, Ipek
- 287-295 Austerity and the embodiment of neoliberalism as ill-health: Towards a theory of biological sub-citizenship
by Sparke, Matthew
- 296-305 Structural adjustment and health: A conceptual framework and evidence on pathways
by Kentikelenis, Alexander E.
2017, Volume 185, Issue C
- 1-8 Can inequality be tamed through boundary work? A qualitative study of health promotion aimed at reducing health inequalities
by Pedersen, Pia Vivian & Hjelmar, Ulf & Høybye, Mette Terp & Rod, Morten Hulvej
- 9-16 Uneasy encounters: Youth, social (dis)comfort and the autistic self
by Coleman-Fountain, Edmund
- 17-26 The clinical communication and information challenges associated with the psychosexual aspects of prostate cancer treatment
by Speer, Susan A. & Tucker, Samantha R. & McPhillips, Rebecca & Peters, Sarah
- 27-37 Attachment to place in advanced age: A study of the LiLACS NZ cohort
by Wiles, Janine L. & Rolleston, Anna & Pillai, Avinesh & Broad, Joanna & Teh, Ruth & Gott, Merryn & Kerse, Ngaire
- 38-45 Does neighbourhood deprivation affect the genetic influence on body mass?
by Owen, Gwilym & Jones, Kelvyn & Harris, Richard
- 46-53 Effect of interrupting free healthcare for children: Drawing lessons at the critical moment of national scale-up in Burkina Faso
by Druetz, Thomas & Bicaba, Abel & Some, Telesphore & Kouanda, Seni & Ly, Antarou & Haddad, Slim
- 54-62 Health system responsiveness and chronic disease care – What is the role of disease management programs? An analysis based on cross-sectional survey and administrative claims data
by Röttger, Julia & Blümel, Miriam & Linder, Roland & Busse, Reinhard
- 63-70 Applying economic incentives to increase effectiveness of an outpatient weight loss program (TRIO) – A randomized controlled trial
by Finkelstein, Eric A. & Tham, Kwang-Wei & Haaland, Benjamin A. & Sahasranaman, Aarti
- 71-80 Asian Americans and disproportionate exposure to carcinogenic hazardous air pollutants: A national study
by Grineski, Sara E. & Collins, Timothy W. & Morales, Danielle X.
- 81-90 Social causation and neighborhood selection underlie associations of neighborhood factors with illicit drug-using social networks and illicit drug use among adults relocated from public housing
by Linton, Sabriya L. & Haley, Danielle F. & Hunter-Jones, Josalin & Ross, Zev & Cooper, Hannah L.F.
- 91-101 Girl child marriage as a risk factor for early childhood development and stunting
by Efevbera, Yvette & Bhabha, Jacqueline & Farmer, Paul E. & Fink, Günther
- 102-109 Predictive utility and measurement properties of the Strength of Implementation Intentions Scale (SIIS) for condom use
by Nydegger, Liesl A. & Ames, Susan L. & Stacy, Alan W.
- 110-117 Re-working biographies: Women's narratives of pregnancy whilst living with epilepsy
by Weckesser, Annalise & Denny, Elaine
- 118-126 A method for understanding generic procurement of HIV medicines by developing countries with patent protection
by Beall, Reed F. & Attaran, Amir
- 127-136 Public attitudes toward child undervaccination: A randomized experiment on evaluations, stigmatizing orientations, and support for policies
by Carpiano, Richard M. & Fitz, Nicholas S.
- 137-146 Confined to a tokenistic status: Social scientists in leadership roles in a national health research funding agency
by Albert, Mathieu & Laberge, Suzanne
- 147-157 Contributions of risk preference, time orientation and perceptions to breast cancer screening regularity
by Goldzahl, Léontine
- 158-165 An index of the ratio of inflammatory to antiviral cell types mediates the effects of social adversity and age on chronic illness
by Simons, Ronald L. & Lei, Man-Kit & Beach, Steven R.H. & Barr, Ashley B. & Cutrona, Carolyn E. & Gibbons, Frederick X. & Philibert, Robert A.
- 171-178 Effect of political decentralization and female leadership on institutional births and child mortality in rural Bihar, India
by Kumar, Santosh & Prakash, Nishith
2017, Volume 184, Issue C
- 1-14 Counting the time lived, the time left or illness? Age, proximity to death, morbidity and prescribing expenditures
by Moore, Patrick V. & Bennett, Kathleen & Normand, Charles
- 15-22 Ethnic-group socioeconomic status as an indicator of community-level disadvantage: A study of overweight/obesity in Asian American adolescents
by Cook, Won Kim & Tseng, Winston & Tam, Christina & John, Iyanrick & Lui, Camillia
- 27-39 Geographic mobility and potential bridging for sexually transmitted infections in Agbogbloshie, Ghana
by Cassels, Susan & Jenness, Samuel M. & Biney, Adriana A.E. & Dodoo, F. Nii-Amoo
- 40-48 Towards a feminist understanding of intersecting violence against women and children in the family
by Namy, Sophie & Carlson, Catherine & O'Hara, Kathleen & Nakuti, Janet & Bukuluki, Paul & Lwanyaaga, Julius & Namakula, Sylvia & Nanyunja, Barbrah & Wainberg, Milton L. & Naker, Dipak & Michau, Lori
- 49-56 Educational gains in cause-specific mortality: Accounting for cognitive ability and family-level confounders using propensity score weighting
by Bijwaard, Govert E. & Myrskylä, Mikko & Tynelius, Per & Rasmussen, Finn
- 57-64 Expectant futures and an early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: Knowing and its consequences
by Swallow, Julia
- 65-74 New challenges for verbal autopsy: Considering the ethical and social implications of verbal autopsy methods in routine health information systems
by Gouda, Hebe N. & Flaxman, Abraham D. & Brolan, Claire E. & Joshi, Rohina & Riley, Ian D. & AbouZahr, Carla & Firth, Sonja & Rampatige, Rasika & Lopez, Alan D.
- 75-83 Dangertalk: Voices of abortion providers
by Martin, Lisa A. & Hassinger, Jane A. & Debbink, Michelle & Harris, Lisa H.
- 84-98 Subjective social status and premedical students' attitudes towards medical school
by Grace, Matthew K.
- 99-107 Professional midwifery in Guatemala: A qualitative exploration of perceptions, attitudes and expectations among stakeholders
by Summer, Anna & Guendelman, Sylvia & Kestler, Edgar & Walker, Dilys
- 108-115 Age of despair or age of hope? Palestinian women's perspectives on midlife health
by Hammoudeh, Doaa & Coast, Ernestina & Lewis, David & van der Meulen, Yoke & Leone, Tiziana & Giacaman, Rita
- 116-123 Resisting decay: On disposal, valuation, and care in a dementia nursing home in Denmark
by Gjødsbøl, Iben M. & Koch, Lene & Svendsen, Mette N.
- 124-133 Sleep waves and recovery from drug and alcohol dependence: Towards a rhythm analysis of sleep in residential treatment
by Meadows, Robert & Nettleton, Sarah & Neale, Joanne
- 134-143 The performativity of numbers in illness management: The case of Swedish Rheumatology
by Essén, Anna & Oborn, Eivor
- 144-152 Dreams deferred: Contextualizing the health and psychosocial needs of undocumented Asian and Pacific Islander young adults in Northern California
by Sudhinaraset, May & Ling, Irving & To, Tu My & Melo, Jason & Quach, Thu
- 153-160 “I don’t believe it.” Acceptance and skepticism of genetic health information among African-American and White smokers
by Waters, Erika A. & Ball, Linda & Gehlert, Sarah
- 161-168 Talking about sunbed tanning: Social representations and identity-work
by Taylor, Jennifer & Murray, Michael & Lamont, Alexandra
- 169-177 Discourse in Action: Parents’ use of medical and social models to resist disability stigma
by Manago, Bianca & Davis, Jenny L. & Goar, Carla
- 178-186 Effects of maternal traumatic distress on family functioning and child mental health: An examination of Southeast Asian refugee families in the U.S
by Sangalang, Cindy C. & Jager, Justin & Harachi, Tracy W.
2017, Volume 183, Issue C
- 1-10 A health intervention or a kitchen appliance? Household costs and benefits of a cleaner burning biomass-fuelled cookstove in Malawi
by Cundale, Katie & Thomas, Ranjeeta & Malava, Jullita Kenala & Havens, Deborah & Mortimer, Kevin & Conteh, Lesong
- 11-18 Patient engagement at the margins: Health care providers' assessments of engagement and the structural determinants of health in the safety-net
by Fleming, Mark D. & Shim, Janet K. & Yen, Irene H. & Thompson-Lastad, Ariana & Rubin, Sara & Van Natta, Meredith & Burke, Nancy J.
- 19-27 Understanding the impact of school tobacco policies on adolescent smoking behaviour: A realist review
by Schreuders, Michael & Nuyts, Paulien A.W. & van den Putte, Bas & Kunst, Anton E.
- 28-36 Sadness or depression: Making sense of low mood and the medicalization of everyday life
by Bröer, Christian & Besseling, Broos
- 37-47 Community-directed mass drug administration is undermined by status seeking in friendship networks and inadequate trust in health advice networks
by Chami, Goylette F. & Kontoleon, Andreas A. & Bulte, Erwin & Fenwick, Alan & Kabatereine, Narcis B. & Tukahebwa, Edridah M. & Dunne, David W.
- 48-55 Controversies about cervical cancer screening: A qualitative study of Roma women's (non)participation in cervical cancer screening in Romania
by Andreassen, Trude & Weiderpass, Elisabete & Nicula, Florian & Suteu, Ofelia & Itu, Andreea & Bumbu, Minodora & Tincu, Aida & Ursin, Giske & Moen, Kåre
- 56-61 Spillovers between siblings and from offspring to parents are understudied: A review and future directions for research
by De Neve, Jan-Walter & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 62-69 “How can anybody be representative for those kind of people?” Forms of patient representation in health research, and why it is always contestable
by Maguire, Kath & Britten, Nicky
- 70-79 Transnationalism and health: A systematic literature review on the use of transnationalism in the study of the health practices and behaviors of migrants
by Villa-Torres, Laura & González-Vázquez, Tonatiuh & Fleming, Paul J. & González-González, Edgar Leonel & Infante-Xibille, César & Chavez, Rebecca & Barrington, Clare
- 80-87 Longitudinal associations of experiences of adversity and socioeconomic disadvantage during childhood with labour force participation and exit in later adulthood
by Fahy, A.E. & Stansfeld, S.A. & Smuk, M. & Lain, D. & van der Horst, M. & Vickerstaff, S. & Clark, C.
- 88-96 Finding joy in poor health: The leisure-scapes of chronic illness
by McQuoid, Julia
- 97-105 Perceived mHealth barriers and benefits for home-based HIV testing and counseling and other care: Qualitative findings from health officials, community health workers, and persons living with HIV in South Africa
by van Heerden, Alastair & Harris, Danielle M. & van Rooyen, Heidi & Barnabas, Ruanne V. & Ramanathan, Nithya & Ngcobo, Nkosinathi & Mpiyakhe, Zukiswa & Comulada, W. Scott
- 106-115 Medicalized addiction, self-medication, or nonmedical prescription drug use? How trust figures into incarcerated women's conceptualization of illicit prescription drug use
by Smirnova, Michelle & Owens, Jennifer Gatewood
- 116-125 The costs of acute readmissions to a different hospital – Does the effect vary across provider types?
by Møller Dahl, Christian & Planck Kongstad, Line
- 126-129 Neighborhood disorder and glycemic control in late adolescents with Type 1 diabetes
by Queen, Tara L. & Baucom, Katherine J.W. & Baker, Ashley C. & Mello, Daniel & Berg, Cynthia A. & Wiebe, Deborah J.
- 130-141 Native-immigrant occupational segregation and worker health in the United States, 2004–2014
by Fan, Wen & Qian, Yue
- 142-150 Contextualising renal patient routines: Everyday space-time contexts, health service access, and wellbeing
by McQuoid, Julia & Jowsey, Tanisha & Talaulikar, Girish
- 151-162 How is depression experienced around the world? A systematic review of qualitative literature
by Haroz, E.E. & Ritchey, M. & Bass, J.K. & Kohrt, B.A. & Augustinavicius, J. & Michalopoulos, L. & Burkey, M.D. & Bolton, P.
2017, Volume 182, Issue C
- 1-9 “I started working because I was hungry”: The consequences of food insecurity for children's well-being in rural Ethiopia
by Morrow, Virginia & Tafere, Yisak & Chuta, Nardos & Zharkevich, Ina
- 10-19 Doctors' experience of coordination across care levels and associated factors. A cross-sectional study in public healthcare networks of six Latin American countries
by Vázquez, María-Luisa & Vargas, Ingrid & Garcia-Subirats, Irene & Unger, Jean-Pierre & De Paepe, Pierre & Mogollón-Pérez, Amparo Susana & Samico, Isabella & Eguiguren, Pamela & Cisneros, Angelica-Ivonne & Huerta, Adriana & Muruaga, María-Cecilia & Bertolotto, Fernando
- 20-29 The network structure of sex partner meeting places reported by HIV-infected MSM: Opportunities for HIV targeted control
by Brantley, Meredith & Schumacher, Christina & Fields, Errol L. & Perin, Jamie & Safi, Amelia Greiner & Ellen, Jonathan M. & Muvva, Ravikiran & Chaulk, Patrick & Jennings, Jacky M.
- 30-44 Health & access to care among working-age lower income adults in the Great Recession: Disparities across race and ethnicity and geospatial factors
by Towne, Samuel D. & Probst, Janice C. & Hardin, James W. & Bell, Bethany A. & Glover, Saundra
- 45-51 Is a hilly neighborhood environment associated with diabetes mellitus among older people? Results from the JAGES 2010 study
by Fujiwara, Takeo & Takamoto, Iseki & Amemiya, Airi & Hanazato, Masamichi & Suzuki, Norimichi & Nagamine, Yuiko & Sasaki, Yuri & Tani, Yukako & Yazawa, Aki & Inoue, Yosuke & Shirai, Kokoro & Shobugawa, Yugo & Kondo, Naoki & Kondo, Katsunori
- 52-59 The gap between entitlement and access to healthcare: An analysis of “candidacy” in the help-seeking trajectories of asylum seekers in Montreal
by Chase, Liana E. & Cleveland, Janet & Beatson, Jesse & Rousseau, Cécile
- 60-67 Accessibility of tertiary hospitals in Finland: A comparison of administrative and normative catchment areas
by Huotari, Tiina & Antikainen, Harri & Keistinen, Timo & Rusanen, Jarmo
- 68-72 I care, even after the first impression: Facial appearance-based evaluations in healthcare context
by Mattarozzi, Katia & Colonnello, Valentina & De Gioia, Francesco & Todorov, Alexander
- 73-80 Discredited legacy: Stigma and familial amyloid polyneuropathy in Northwestern Portugal
by Mendes, Álvaro & Sousa, Liliana & Sequeiros, Jorge & Clarke, Angus
- 81-88 Performing boundary work: The emergence of a new practice in a hybrid operating room
by Lindberg, Kajsa & Walter, Lars & Raviola, Elena
- 89-96 Child disability and siblings' healthcare expenditures in a context of child fostering
by Simo Fotso, Arlette
- 97-105 The benefits of paid maternity leave for mothers' post-partum health and wellbeing: Evidence from an Australian evaluation
by Hewitt, Belinda & Strazdins, Lyndall & Martin, Bill
- 106-116 An assessment of the social cognitive predictors of exclusive breastfeeding behavior using the Health Action Process Approach
by Martinez-Brockman, J.L. & Shebl, F.M. & Harari, N. & Pérez-Escamilla, R.
- 117-126 Health policy in the concertación era (1990–2010): Reforms the chilean way
by Martinez-Gutierrez, María Soledad & Cuadrado, Cristóbal
- 127-135 Political gender inequality and infant mortality in the United States, 1990–2012
by Homan, Patricia
- 136-141 Social identity and support for counteracting tobacco company marketing that targets vulnerable populations
by Baig, Sabeeh A. & Pepper, Jessica K. & Morgan, Jennifer C. & Brewer, Noel T.
- 142-149 Ebola-related stigma in Ghana: Individual and community level determinants
by Tenkorang, Eric Y.
- 150-157 Problematic social media use and depressive symptoms among U.S. young adults: A nationally-representative study
by Shensa, Ariel & Escobar-Viera, César G. & Sidani, Jaime E. & Bowman, Nicholas D. & Marshal, Michael P. & Primack, Brian A.
2017, Volume 181, Issue C
- 1-8 Do online reviews diminish physician authority? The case of cosmetic surgery in the U.S
by Menon, Alka V.
- 9-16 Physician associates in primary health care in England: A challenge to professional boundaries?
by Drennan, Vari M. & Gabe, Jonathon & Halter, Mary & de Lusignan, Simon & Levenson, Ros
- 17-23 The role of city income inequality, sex ratio and youth mortality rates in the effect of violent victimization on health-risk behaviors in Brazilian adolescents
by Ramos, Dandara de Oliveira & Daly, Martin & Seidl-de-Moura, Maria Lucia & Nadanovsky, Paulo
- 24-33 Hospitalizations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions across primary care models in Ontario, Canada
by Laberge, Maude & Wodchis, Walter P. & Barnsley, Jan & Laporte, Audrey
- 34-42 The problem of choice: From the voluntary way to Affordable Care Act health insurance exchanges
by Mulligan, Jessica
- 43-53 Persistence of pandemic influenza on the development of children: Evidence from industrializing Japan
by Ogasawara, Kota
- 54-65 Changing health care provider performance through measurement
by Leonard, Kenneth L. & Masatu, Melkiory C.
- 66-73 “Even my sister says I'm acting like a crazy to get a check”: Race, gender, and moral boundary-work in women's claims of disabling chronic pain
by Pryma, Jane
- 74-82 Is foreign direct investment good for health in low and middle income countries? An instrumental variable approach
by Burns, Darren K. & Jones, Andrew P. & Goryakin, Yevgeniy & Suhrcke, Marc
- 83-92 Extending health insurance to the poor in India: An impact evaluation of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana on out of pocket spending for healthcare
by Karan, Anup & Yip, Winnie & Mahal, Ajay
- 93-101 Adult children's education and changes to parents' physical health in Mexico
by Yahirun, Jenjira J. & Sheehan, Connor M. & Hayward, Mark D.
- 102-111 Accomplishing professional jurisdiction in intensive care: An ethnographic study of three units
by Xyrichis, Andreas & Lowton, Karen & Rafferty, Anne Marie
- 112-121 Household social capital and socioeconomic inequalities in child undernutrition in rural India
by Story, William T. & Carpiano, Richard M.
- 122-130 The effect of employment transitions on physical health among the elderly in South Korea: A longitudinal analysis of the Korean Retirement and Income Study
by Lee, Juyeon & Kim, Myoung-Hee
- 131-138 Visibility, respectability, and disengagement: The everyday resistance of mothers with disabilities
by Frederick, Angela
- 139-147 State political ideology, policies and health behaviors: The case of tobacco
by Fox, Ashley M. & Feng, Wenhui & Yumkham, Rakesh
- 148-157 Female sex workers use power over their day-to-day lives to meet the condition of a conditional cash transfer intervention to incentivize safe sex
by Cooper, Jan E. & Dow, William H. & de Walque, Damien & Keller, Ann C. & McCoy, Sandra I. & Fernald, Lia C.H. & Balampama, Marianna P. & Kalolella, Admirabilis & Packel, Laura J. & Wechsberg, Wendee M. & Ozer, Emily J.
- 158-167 Acceptable health and priority weighting: Discussing a reference-level approach using sufficientarian reasoning
by Wouters, S. & van Exel, N.J.A. & Rohde, K.I.M. & Vromen, J.J. & Brouwer, W.B.F.
- 168-176 Changes in household food insecurity are related to changes in BMI and diet quality among Michigan Head Start preschoolers in a sex-specific manner
by Jansen, Erica C. & Kasper, Nicole & Lumeng, Julie C. & Brophy Herb, Holly E. & Horodynski, Mildred A. & Miller, Alison L. & Contreras, Dawn & Peterson, Karen E.
- 177-183 Socio-psychological mediators of the relationship between behavioral health stigma and psychiatric symptoms
by Hunter, Bronwyn A. & Mohatt, Nathaniel Vincent & Prince, Dana M. & Thompson, Azure B. & Matlin, Samantha L. & Tebes, Jacob Kraemer
- 184-190 Stability of coping and the role of self-efficacy in the first year following mild traumatic brain injury
by Scheenen, Myrthe E. & van der Horn, Harm J. & de Koning, Myrthe E. & van der Naalt, Joukje & Spikman, Jacoba M.
- 191-198 County-level racial prejudice and the black-white gap in infant health outcomes
by Orchard, Jacob & Price, Joseph
2017, Volume 180, Issue C
- 1-9 The effects of women's education on maternal health: Evidence from Peru
by Weitzman, Abigail
- 10-19 How did the Good School Toolkit reduce the risk of past week physical violence from teachers to students? Qualitative findings on pathways of change in schools in Luwero, Uganda
by Kyegombe, N. & Namakula, S. & Mulindwa, J. & Lwanyaaga, J. & Naker, D. & Namy, S. & Nakuti, J. & Parkes, J. & Knight, L. & Walakira, E. & Devries, K.M.
- 20-27 The social logic of naloxone: Peer administration, harm reduction, and the transformation of social policy
by Faulkner-Gurstein, Rachel
- 28-35 The impact of welfare reform on the health insurance coverage, utilization and health of low education single mothers
by Narain, Kimberly & Bitler, Marianne & Ponce, Ninez & Kominski, Gerald & Ettner, Susan
- 36-44 The sociology of space as a catalyst for innovation in the health sector
by Saidi, Trust & de Villiers, Katusha & Douglas, Tania S.
- 45-51 Stability and change in disease prestige: A comparative analysis of three surveys spanning a quarter of a century
by Album, Dag & Johannessen, Lars E.F. & Rasmussen, Erik B.
- 52-61 Spatio-temporal neighborhood impacts on internalizing and externalizing behaviors in U.S. elementary school children: Effect modification by child and family socio-demographics
by Humphrey, Jamie L. & Root, Elisabeth D.
- 62-75 Tolerance of uncertainty: Conceptual analysis, integrative model, and implications for healthcare
by Hillen, Marij A. & Gutheil, Caitlin M. & Strout, Tania D. & Smets, Ellen M.A. & Han, Paul K.J.
- 76-84 Bureaucratization and medical professionals’ values: A cross-national analysis
by Racko, Girts
- 85-93 The socio-political context of migration and reproductive health disparities: The case of early sexual initiation among Mexican-origin immigrant young women
by Coleman-Minahan, Kate
- 94-100 The impact of transitions in insurance coverage on GP visiting among children in Ireland
by Nolan, Anne & Layte, Richard
- 101-105 Does educational attainment shape reactions to genetic risk for Alzheimer's disease? Results from a national survey experiment
by Andersson, Matthew A. & Gadarian, Shana Kushner & Almeling, Rene
- 106-113 A visual analysis of gender bias in contemporary anatomy textbooks
by Parker, Rhiannon & Larkin, Theresa & Cockburn, Jon
- 114-124 The harder they fall? Sex and race/ethnic specific suicide rates in the U.S. foreclosure crisis
by Houle, Jason N. & Light, Michael T.
- 125-134 The intimate relationship as a site of social protection: Partnerships between people who inject drugs
by Rhodes, Tim & Rance, Jake & Fraser, Suzanne & Treloar, Carla
- 135-142 Varying cognitive targets and response rates to enhance the question-behaviour effect: An 8-arm Randomized Controlled Trial on influenza vaccination uptake
by Conner, Mark & Sandberg, Tracy & Nekitsing, Chandani & Hutter, Russell & Wood, Chantelle & Jackson, Cath & Godin, Gaston & Sheeran, Paschal
- 143-151 The more the heavier? Family size and childhood obesity in the U.S
by Datar, Ashlesha
- 152-159 Does the media matter to suicide?: Examining the social dynamics surrounding media reporting on suicide in a suicide-prone community
by Mueller, Anna S.
- 160-169 Variola minor in coalfield areas of England and Wales, 1921–34: Geographical determinants of a national smallpox epidemic that spread out of effective control
by Smallman-Raynor, Matthew R. & Rafferty, Sarah & Cliff, Andrew D.
- 170-180 Food as a social determinant of mental health among household heads in the Upper West Region of Ghana
by Atuoye, Kilian Nasung & Luginaah, Isaac
- 181-192 Reduced burden of childhood diarrheal diseases through increased access to water and sanitation in India: A modeling analysis
by Nandi, Arindam & Megiddo, Itamar & Ashok, Ashvin & Verma, Amit & Laxminarayan, Ramanan
2017, Volume 179, Issue C
- 1-8 Tinkering toward departure: The limits of improvisation in rural Ethiopian biomedical practices
by Rieder, Stephanie
- 9-17 The impact of healthcare spending on health outcomes: A meta-regression analysis
by Gallet, Craig A. & Doucouliagos, Hristos
- 18-26 Fetal health stagnation: Have health conditions in utero improved in the United States and Western and Northern Europe over the past 150 years?
by Schneider, Eric B.
- 27-35 Immediate and sustained effects of user fee exemption on healthcare utilization among children under five in Burkina Faso: A controlled interrupted time-series analysis
by Zombré, David & De Allegri, Manuela & Ridde, Valéry
- 36-44 The effect of race and birth cohort on the veteran mortality differential
by Landes, Scott D. & Wilder, JeffriAnne & Williams, Desiree
- 45-51 Multi-scalar influences on mortality change over time in 274 European cities
by Richardson, Elizabeth A. & Moon, Graham & Pearce, Jamie & Shortt, Niamh K. & Mitchell, Richard
- 52-60 Water insecurity in a syndemic context: Understanding the psycho-emotional stress of water insecurity in Lesotho, Africa
by Workman, Cassandra L. & Ureksoy, Heather
- 61-73 Effects of Payment for Performance on accountability mechanisms: Evidence from Pwani, Tanzania
by Mayumana, Iddy & Borghi, Jo & Anselmi, Laura & Mamdani, Masuma & Lange, Siri
- 74-80 Does autonomy for public hospitals in developing countries increase performance? Evidence-based case studies
by De Geyndt, Willy
- 81-90 Growth recovery and faltering through early adolescence in low- and middle-income countries: Determinants and implications for cognitive development
by Georgiadis, Andreas & Benny, Liza & Duc, Le Thuc & Galab, Sheikh & Reddy, Prudhvikar & Woldehanna, Tassew
- 91-96 New Zealand Healthline call data used to measure the effect of travel time on the use of the emergency department
by Griffin, Edward & McCarthy, John P. & Thomas, Fiona & Kingham, Simon
- 97-105 Longitudinal associations of intimate partner violence attitudes and perpetration: Dyadic couples data from a randomized controlled trial in rural India
by Shakya, Holly B. & Fleming, Paul & Saggurti, Niranjan & Donta, Balaiah & Silverman, Jay & Raj, Anita
- 106-114 Epidemiological placism in public health emergencies: Ebola in two Dallas neighborhoods
by Smith-Morris, Carolyn
- 115-128 HIV risk behaviours among immigrant and ethnic minority gay and bisexual men in North America and Europe: A systematic review
by Lewis, Nathaniel M. & Wilson, Kathi