Social Science & Medicine
2017, Volume 173, Issue C
- 1-8 Requests for cesarean deliveries: The politics of labor pain and pain relief in Shanghai, China
by Wang, Eileen
- 9-17 Does the proportion of pay linked to performance affect the job satisfaction of general practitioners?
by Allen, Thomas & Whittaker, William & Sutton, Matt
- 18-25 Minding the gap: Subjective relative deprivation and depressive symptoms
by Beshai, Shadi & Mishra, Sandeep & Meadows, Tyler J.S. & Parmar, Priya & Huang, Vivian
- 26-34 And justice for all: Examining corruption as a contextual source of mental illness
by van Deurzen, Ioana
- 35-47 Parental health shocks and schooling: The impact of mutual health insurance in Rwanda
by Woode, Maame Esi
- 48-53 The socioeconomic within-gender gap in informal caregiving among middle-aged women: Evidence from a Japanese nationwide survey
by Tokunaga, Mutsumi & Hashimoto, Hideki
- 54-62 Socioeconomic position, John Henryism, and incidence of acute myocardial infarction in Finnish men
by Mujahid, Mahasin S. & James, Sherman A. & Kaplan, George A. & Salonen, Jukka T.
- 63-71 User preferences and willingness to pay for safe drinking water: Experimental evidence from rural Tanzania
by Burt, Zachary & Njee, Robert M. & Mbatia, Yolanda & Msimbe, Veritas & Brown, Joe & Clasen, Thomas F. & Malebo, Hamisi M. & Ray, Isha
- 72-80 Health effects of informal caregiving across Europe: A longitudinal approach
by Kaschowitz, Judith & Brandt, Martina
- 81-87 “Not there yet”: Examining community support from the perspective of people with dementia and their partners in care
by Herron, R.V. & Rosenberg, M.W.
- 88-95 Social network types among older Korean adults: Associations with subjective health
by Sohn, Sung Yun & Joo, Won-tak & Kim, Woo Jung & Kim, Se Joo & Youm, Yoosik & Kim, Hyeon Chang & Park, Yeong-Ran & Lee, Eun
- 96-103 Optimising the community-based approach to healthcare improvement: Comparative case studies of the clinical community model in practice
by Aveling, Emma-Louise & Martin, Graham & Herbert, Georgia & Armstrong, Natalie
- 110-117 Neighbourly support of people with chronic illness; is it related to neighbourhood social capital?
by Waverijn, Geeke & Heijmans, Monique & Groenewegen, Peter P.
- 118-125 Associations between community-level disaster exposure and individual-level changes in disability and risk of death for older Americans
by Brilleman, Samuel L. & Wolfe, Rory & Moreno-Betancur, Margarita & Sales, Anne E. & Langa, Kenneth M. & Li, Yun & Daugherty Biddison, Elizabeth L. & Rubinson, Lewis & Iwashyna, Theodore J.
- 126-133 The role of sleep problems in the relationship between peer victimization and antisocial behavior: A five-year longitudinal study
by Chang, Ling-Yin & Wu, Wen-Chi & Wu, Chi-Chen & Lin, Linen Nymphas & Yen, Lee-Lan & Chang, Hsing-Yi
2017, Volume 172, Issue C
- 1-9 Constructing embodied identity in a ‘new’ ageing population: A qualitative study of the pioneer cohort of childhood liver transplant recipients in the UK
by Lowton, Karen & Hiley, Chris & Higgs, Paul
- 10-18 A network approach to policy framing: A case study of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan
by Browne, Jennifer & de Leeuw, Evelyne & Gleeson, Deborah & Adams, Karen & Atkinson, Petah & Hayes, Rick
- 21-27 Is trade liberalisation a vector for the spread of sugar-sweetened beverages? A cross-national longitudinal analysis of 44 low- and middle-income countries
by Mendez Lopez, Ana & Loopstra, Rachel & McKee, Martin & Stuckler, David
- 28-36 Reconciling community-based Indigenous research and academic practices: Knowing principles is not always enough
by Morton Ninomiya, Melody E. & Pollock, Nathaniel J.
- 37-45 Food and beverage product reformulation as a corporate political strategy
by Scott, C. & Hawkins, B. & Knai, C.
- 46-55 Universal health coverage at the macro level: Synthetic control evidence from Thailand
by Rieger, Matthias & Wagner, Natascha & Bedi, Arjun S.
- 56-63 Neighborhood social stressors, fine particulate matter air pollution, and cognitive function among older U.S. adults
by Ailshire, Jennifer & Karraker, Amelia & Clarke, Philippa
- 64-71 Two approaches, one problem: Cultural constructions of type II diabetes in an indigenous community in Yucatán, Mexico
by Frank, Sarah M. & Durden, T. Elizabeth
- 72-79 Common or multiple futures for end of life care around the world? Ideas from the ‘waiting room of history’
by Zaman, Shahaduz & Inbadas, Hamilton & Whitelaw, Alexander & Clark, David
- 80-88 How do individuals value health states? A qualitative investigation
by Karimi, M. & Brazier, J. & Paisley, S.
- 89-97 Public health and public trust: Survey evidence from the Ebola Virus Disease epidemic in Liberia
by Blair, Robert A. & Morse, Benjamin S. & Tsai, Lily L.
- 98-106 Your money or your time? How both types of scarcity matter to physical activity and healthy eating
by Venn, Danielle & Strazdins, Lyndall
- 107-114 Cancer patients' experiences with nature: Normalizing dichotomous realities
by Blaschke, Sarah & O'Callaghan, Clare C. & Schofield, Penelope & Salander, Pär
- 115-123 Distinguishing hypothetical willingness from behavioral intentions to initiate HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP): Findings from a large cohort of gay and bisexual men in the U.S
by Rendina, H. Jonathon & Whitfield, Thomas H.F. & Grov, Christian & Starks, Tyrel J. & Parsons, Jeffrey T.
- 124-134 Communication about HIV and death: Maternal reports of primary school-aged children's questions after maternal HIV disclosure in rural South Africa
by Rochat, Tamsen J. & Mitchell, Joanie & Lubbe, Anina M. & Stein, Alan & Tomlinson, Mark & Bland, Ruth M.
- 135-143 Separating, replacing, intersecting: The influence of context on the construction of the medical-nursing boundary
by Liberati, Elisa Giulia
- 144-152 Conceptualising the public health role of actors operating outside of formal health systems: The case of social enterprise
by Roy, Michael J. & Baker, Rachel & Kerr, Susan
- 153-162 Gifts and influence: Conflict of interest policies and prescribing of psychotropic medications in the United States
by King, Marissa & Bearman, Peter S.
2016, Volume 171, Issue C
- 1-8 Standardizing psycho-medical torture during the War on Terror: Why it happened, how it happened, and why it didn't work
by Balfe, Myles
- 9-17 Food insecurity and maternal mental health in León, Nicaragua: Potential limitations on the moderating role of social support
by Piperata, Barbara A. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Rodrigues, Andres Herrera & Salazar Torres, Virgilio Mariano
- 18-29 Perceived community environmental influences on eating behaviors: A Photovoice analysis
by Belon, Ana Paula & Nieuwendyk, Laura M. & Vallianatos, Helen & Nykiforuk, Candace I.J.
- 30-38 Shorter lives in stingier states: Social policy shortcomings help explain the US mortality disadvantage
by Beckfield, Jason & Bambra, Clare
- 39-47 Avoiding blindness to health status in health achievement and health inequality measurement
by Makdissi, Paul & Yazbeck, Myra
- 48-57 Female political representation and child health: Evidence from a multilevel analysis
by Quamruzzaman, Amm & Lange, Matthew
- 58-66 Early parenthood as a link between childhood disadvantage and adult heart problems: A gender-based approach
by Lee, Chioun & Ryff, Carol D.
- 67-83 Limited common origins of multiple adult health-related behaviors: Evidence from U.S. twins
by Sudharsanan, Nikkil & Behrman, Jere R. & Kohler, Hans-Peter
- 84-93 Improving community health through marketing exchanges: A participatory action research study on water, sanitation, and hygiene in three Melanesian countries
by Barrington, D.J. & Sridharan, S. & Saunders, S.G. & Souter, R.T. & Bartram, J. & Shields, K.F. & Meo, S. & Kearton, A. & Hughes, R.K.
- 94-102 Increased drug use and the timing of social assistance receipt among people who use illicit drugs
by Krebs, Emanuel & Wang, Linwei & Olding, Michelle & DeBeck, Kora & Hayashi, Kanna & Milloy, M.-J. & Wood, Evan & Nosyk, Bohdan & Richardson, Lindsey
2016, Volume 170, Issue C
- 1-8 Psychosocial distress and inflammation: Which way does causality flow?
by Das, Aniruddha
- 9-17 Conflict or congruence? Maternal and infant-centric factors associated with shorter exclusive breastfeeding durations among the Tsimane
by Martin, Melanie A. & Garcia, Geni & Kaplan, Hillard S. & Gurven, Michael D.
- 18-25 Role-meanings as a critical factor in understanding doctor managers' identity work and different role identities
by Cascón-Pereira, Rosalía & Chillas, Shiona & Hallier, Jerry
- 26-34 Functional health decline before and after retirement: A longitudinal analysis of the Health and Retirement Study
by van Zon, Sander K.R. & Bültmann, Ute & Reijneveld, Sijmen A. & de Leon, Carlos F. Mendes
- 35-45 Assessing spatial access to public and private hospitals in Sichuan, China: The influence of the private sector on the healthcare geography in China
by Pan, Jay & Zhao, Hanqing & Wang, Xiuli & Shi, Xun
- 46-54 Social media as a space for support: Young adults' perspectives on producing and consuming user-generated content about diabetes and mental health
by Fergie, Gillian & Hunt, Kate & Hilton, Shona
- 55-62 Social networks, social participation, and health among youth living in extreme poverty in rural Malawi
by Rock, Amelia & Barrington, Clare & Abdoulayi, Sara & Tsoka, Maxton & Mvula, Peter & Handa, Sudhanshu
- 63-76 The role of socioeconomic factors in Black-White health inequities across the life course: Point-in-time measures, long-term exposures, and differential health returns
by Boen, Courtney
- 77-86 The Quality and Outcomes Framework: Body commodification in UK general practice
by Norman, Armando H. & Russell, Andrew J. & Merli, Claudia
- 87-96 Decolonization and life expectancy in the Caribbean
by Verstraeten, Soraya P.A. & van Oers, Hans A.M. & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 97-105 State risk discourse and the regulatory preservation of traditional medicine knowledge: The case of acupuncture in Ontario, Canada
by Ijaz, Nadine & Boon, Heather & Muzzin, Linda & Welsh, Sandy
- 106-113 Everyday tactics in local moral worlds: E-cigarette practices in a working-class area of the UK
by Thirlway, Frances
- 114-123 Marital history and survival after a heart attack
by Dupre, Matthew E. & Nelson, Alicia
- 124-132 Insurance coverage and socioeconomic differences in patient choice between private and public health care providers in China
by Wang, Qing & Zhang, Donglan & Hou, Zhiyuan
- 133-142 Intersystem return on investment in public mental health: Positive externality of public mental health expenditure for the jail system in the U.S
by Yoon, Jangho & Luck, Jeff
- 143-151 Realities of environmental toxicity and their ramifications for community engagement
by Clapp, Justin T. & Roberts, Jody A. & Dahlberg, Britt & Berry, Lee Sullivan & Jacobs, Lisa M. & Emmett, Edward A. & Barg, Frances K.
- 152-160 Frequency of medical malpractice claims: The effects of volumes and specialties
by Buzzacchi, Luigi & Scellato, Giuseppe & Ughetto, Elisa
- 161-169 The health, financial and distributional consequences of increases in the tobacco excise tax among smokers in Lebanon
by Salti, Nisreen & Brouwer, Elizabeth & Verguet, Stéphane
- 170-179 The relationship between maternal education and reported childhood conditions
by Berchick, Edward R.
- 180-187 Quantifying the individual-level association between income and mortality risk in the United States using the National Longitudinal Mortality Study
by Brodish, Paul Henry & Hakes, Jahn K.
- 188-196 Suffering and medicalization at the end of life: The case of physician-assisted dying
by Karsoho, Hadi & Fishman, Jennifer R. & Wright, David Kenneth & Macdonald, Mary Ellen
- 197-207 Child access to the nutritional safety net during and after the Great Recession: The case of WIC
by Jackson, Margot I. & Mayne, Patrick
- 208-217 Equity impact analysis of medical approaches to cardiovascular diseases prevention in Tanzania
by Ngalesoni, Frida N. & Ruhago, George M. & Mori, Amani T. & Robberstad, Bjarne & Norheim, Ole F.
- 220-227 Racial bias is associated with ingroup death rate for Blacks and Whites: Insights from Project Implicit
by Leitner, Jordan B. & Hehman, Eric & Ayduk, Ozlem & Mendoza-Denton, Rodolfo
- 228-236 How food insecurity contributes to poor HIV health outcomes: Qualitative evidence from the San Francisco Bay Area
by Whittle, Henry J. & Palar, Kartika & Seligman, Hilary K. & Napoles, Tessa & Frongillo, Edward A. & Weiser, Sheri D.
- 237-246 Culture: The missing link in health research
by Kagawa Singer, M. & Dressler, W. & George, S.
- 247-254 First depressed, then discriminated against?
by Baert, Stijn & De Visschere, Sarah & Schoors, Koen & Vandenberghe, Désirée & Omey, Eddy
2016, Volume 169, Issue C
- 1-8 Crowding out or no crowding out? A Self-Determination Theory approach to health worker motivation in performance-based financing
by Lohmann, Julia & Houlfort, Nathalie & De Allegri, Manuela
- 9-17 Social mobility and subclinical atherosclerosis in a middle-income country: Association of intra- and inter-generational social mobility with carotid intima-media thickness in the Brazilian Longitudinal Study of Adult Health (ELSA-Brasil)
by Guimarães, Joanna M.N. & Clarke, Philippa & Tate, Denise & Coeli, Claudia Medina & Griep, Rosane Harter & Fonseca, Maria de Jesus Mendes da & Santos, Itamar S. & Melo, Enirtes Caetano Prates & Chor, Dora
- 18-26 Vulnerability to unintentional injuries associated with land-use activities and search and rescue in Nunavut, Canada
by Clark, Dylan G. & Ford, James D. & Pearce, Tristan & Berrang-Ford, Lea
- 27-30 Fund my treatment!: A call for ethics-focused social science research into the use of crowdfunding for medical care
by Snyder, Jeremy & Mathers, Annalise & Crooks, Valorie A.
- 33-41 “Benches become like porches”: Built and social environment influences on older adults’ experiences of mobility and well-being
by Ottoni, Callista A. & Sims-Gould, Joanie & Winters, Meghan & Heijnen, Myrthe & McKay, Heather A.
- 42-49 Delivering risk information in a dynamic information environment: Framing and authoritative voice in Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and primetime broadcast news media communications during the 2014 Ebola outbreak
by Kott, Anne & Limaye, Rupali J.
- 50-57 Fear, vulnerability and sacrifice: Drivers of emergency department use and implications for policy
by Hudgins, Anastasia & Rising, Kristin L.
- 58-65 A social network analysis of substance use among immigrant adolescents in six European cities
by Lorant, Vincent & Soto Rojas, Victoria & Bécares, Laia & Kinnunen, Jaana M. & Kuipers, Mirte A.G. & Moor, Irene & Roscillo, Gaetano & Alves, Joana & Grard, Adeline & Rimpelä, Arja & Federico, Bruno & Richter, Matthias & Perelman, Julian & Kunst, Anton E.
- 66-76 Financing the HIV response in sub-Saharan Africa from domestic sources: Moving beyond a normative approach
by Remme, Michelle & Siapka, Mariana & Sterck, Olivier & Ncube, Mthuli & Watts, Charlotte & Vassall, Anna
- 77-85 Promoting physical activity interventions in communities with poor health and socio-economic profiles: A process evaluation of the implementation of a new walking group scheme
by Hanson, Sarah & Cross, Jane & Jones, Andy
- 86-96 Comparing the validity of the payment card and structured haggling willingness to pay methods: The case of a diabetes prevention program in rural Kenya
by Kangethe, Anne & Franic, Duska M. & Corso, Phaedra S.
- 97-105 How much are built environments changing, and where?: Patterns of change by neighborhood sociodemographic characteristics across seven U.S. metropolitan areas
by Hirsch, Jana A. & Grengs, Joe & Schulz, Amy & Adar, Sara D. & Rodriguez, Daniel A. & Brines, Shannon J. & Diez Roux, Ana V.
- 109-118 The use of specialty training to retain doctors in Malawi: A discrete choice experiment
by Mandeville, Kate L. & Ulaya, Godwin & Lagarde, Mylène & Muula, Adamson S. & Dzowela, Titha & Hanson, Kara
- 119-131 Associations between quantitative measures of women's empowerment and access to care and health status for mothers and their children: A systematic review of evidence from the developing world
by Pratley, Pierre
- 132-140 Music and health communication in The Gambia: A social capital approach
by McConnell, Bonnie B.
- 141-148 Economic evaluation of integrated new technologies for health and social care: Suggestions for policy makers, users and evaluators
by Wildman, John & McMeekin, Peter & Grieve, Eleanor & Briggs, Andrew
- 149-156 ‘No man is an island entire of itself.’ The hidden effect of peers on physical activity
by Downward, Paul & Rasciute, Simona
- 157-170 Disrespectful intrapartum care during facility-based delivery in sub-Saharan Africa: A qualitative systematic review and thematic synthesis of women's perceptions and experiences
by Bradley, Susan & McCourt, Christine & Rayment, Juliet & Parmar, Divya
- 171-179 Influences of race and breast density on related cognitive and emotion outcomes before mandated breast density notification
by Manning, Mark & Albrecht, Terrance L. & Yilmaz-Saab, Zeynep & Shultz, Julie & Purrington, Kristen
- 180-190 The impact of civil union legislation on minority stress, depression, and hazardous drinking in a diverse sample of sexual-minority women: A quasi-natural experiment
by Everett, Bethany G. & Hatzenbuehler, Mark L. & Hughes, Tonda L.
2016, Volume 168, Issue C
- 7-15 Empty rituals? A qualitative study of users’ experience of monitoring & evaluation systems in HIV interventions in western India
by Shukla, Anuprita & Teedon, Paul & Cornish, Flora
- 16-29 Research on neighborhood effects on health in the United States: A systematic review of study characteristics
by Arcaya, Mariana C. & Tucker-Seeley, Reginald D. & Kim, Rockli & Schnake-Mahl, Alina & So, Marvin & Subramanian, S.V.
- 30-34 Does heightened fear of crime lead to poorer mental health in new suburbs, or vice versa?
by Foster, Sarah & Hooper, Paula & Knuiman, Matthew & Giles-Corti, Billie
- 35-42 The association between overweight and internalizing and externalizing behavior in early childhood
by Camfferman, Roxanna & Jansen, Pauline W. & Rippe, Ralph C.A. & Mesman, Judi & Derks, Ivonne P.M. & Tiemeier, Henning & Jaddoe, Vincent & van der Veek, Shelley M.C.
- 43-52 Comprehensive primary health care under neo-liberalism in Australia
by Baum, Fran & Freeman, Toby & Sanders, David & Labonté, Ronald & Lawless, Angela & Javanparast, Sara
- 53-62 The costs of ‘free’: Experiences of facility-based childbirth after Benin's caesarean section exemption policy
by Lange, Isabelle L. & Kanhonou, Lydie & Goufodji, Sourou & Ronsmans, Carine & Filippi, Véronique
- 63-71 Transnational ties and the health of sub-Saharan African migrants: The moderating role of gender and family separation
by Afulani, Patience A. & Torres, Jacqueline M. & Sudhinaraset, May & Asunka, Joseph
- 72-83 The causal effect of increased primary schooling on child mortality in Malawi: Universal primary education as a natural experiment
by Makate, Marshall & Makate, Clifton
- 84-92 Building the nation's body: The contested role of abortion and family planning in post-war South Sudan
by Palmer, Jennifer J. & Storeng, Katerini T.
- 93-100 First-generation Korean immigrants’ barriers to healthcare and their coping strategies in the US
by Jang, Sou Hyun
- 101-110 Illness identity as an important component of candidacy: Contrasting experiences of help-seeking and access to care in cancer and heart disease
by Macdonald, Sara & Blane, David & Browne, Susan & Conway, Ellie & Macleod, Una & May, Carl & Mair, Frances
- 111-119 Peer influence as a potential magnifier of ADHD diagnosis
by Aronson, Brian
- 120-129 Beyond the visual and verbal: Using participant-produced photographs in research on the surroundings for care at the end-of-life
by Tishelman, Carol & Lindqvist, Olav & Hajdarevic, Senada & Rasmussen, Birgit H. & Goliath, Ida
- 130-139 Mechanisms linking intimate partner violence and prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV: A qualitative study in South Africa
by Hatcher, A.M. & Stöckl, H. & Christofides, N. & Woollett, N. & Pallitto, C.C. & Garcia-Moreno, C. & Turan, J.M.
- 140-149 Under one roof: The effect of co-residing with adult children on depression in later life
by Courtin, Emilie & Avendano, Mauricio
- 150-158 Ethnoracial inequality and insurance coverage among Latino young adults
by Terriquez, Veronica & Joseph, Tiffany D.
- 159-166 No one sees the fathers: Israeli fathers' experience of feticide
by Leichtentritt, Ronit D. & Weinberg-Kurnik, Galia
- 167-174 Sole-parent work schedules and adolescent wellbeing:Evidence from Australia
by Dockery, Alfred Michael & Li, Jianghong & Kendall, Garth
- 178-185 Contested moral landscapes: Negotiating breastfeeding stigma in breastmilk sharing, nighttime breastfeeding, and long-term breastfeeding in the U.S. and the U.K
by Tomori, Cecilia & Palmquist, Aunchalee E.L. & Dowling, Sally
- 186-197 Revisiting the understanding of “transactional sex” in sub-Saharan Africa: A review and synthesis of the literature
by Stoebenau, Kirsten & Heise, Lori & Wamoyi, Joyce & Bobrova, Natalia
- 200-206 Numbers and narratives: Developing a mixed-methods approach to understand mobility in later life
by Meijering, Louise & Weitkamp, Gerd
- 207-213 InterACTIVE Interpreted Interviews (I3): A multi-lingual, mobile method to examine the neighbourhood environment with older adults
by Tong, Catherine & Sims-Gould, Joanie & McKay, Heather
- 214-222 Identification of spatial and cohort clustering of tuberculosis using surveillance data from British Columbia, Canada, 1990–2013
by Roth, David & Otterstatter, Michael & Wong, Jason & Cook, Victoria & Johnston, James & Mak, Sunny
- 223-229 Place-making with older persons: Establishing sense-of-place through participatory community mapping workshops
by Fang, Mei Lan & Woolrych, Ryan & Sixsmith, Judith & Canham, Sarah & Battersby, Lupin & Sixsmith, Andrew
- 230-238 A spatiotemporal analysis of non-medical exemptions from vaccination: California schools before and after SB277
by Delamater, Paul L. & Leslie, Timothy F. & Yang, Y. Tony
- 239-248 On the move: Exploring the impact of residential mobility on cannabis use
by Morris, Tim & Manley, David & Northstone, Kate & Sabel, Clive E.
- 249-256 Homelessness, bedspace and the case for Housing First in Canada
by Evans, Joshua & Collins, Damian & Anderson, Jalene
- 257-264 Transfusing our lifeblood: Reframing research impact through inter-disciplinary collaboration between health geography and nurse education
by Kyle, Richard G. & Atherton, Iain M. & Kesby, Mike & Sothern, Matthew & Andrews, Gavin
- 265-272 Taking health geography out of the academy: Measuring academic impact
by Shortt, Niamh K. & Pearce, Jamie & Mitchell, Richard & Smith, Katherine E.
- 273-282 Palliating inside the lines: The effects of borders and boundaries on palliative care in rural Canada
by Giesbrecht, Melissa & Crooks, Valorie A. & Castleden, Heather & Schuurman, Nadine & Skinner, Mark & Williams, Allison
2016, Volume 167, Issue C
- 1-10 Understanding ‘energy insecurity’ and why it matters to health
by Hernández, Diana
- 11-19 Social capital and health in Kenya: A multilevel analysis
by Musalia, John
- 20-28 To your health!: Re-examining the health benefits of moderate alcohol use
by Sayed, Bisma Ali & French, Michael T.
- 29-36 Contextualising the social capital of Australian Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal men in prison
by Lafferty, Lise & Treloar, Carla & Chambers, Georgina M. & Butler, Tony & Guthrie, Jill
- 37-44 Decomposing trends in adult body mass index, obesity, and morbid obesity, 1971–2012
by Kranjac, Ashley Wendell & Wagmiller, Robert L.
- 45-53 Social class, employment status and inequality in psychological well-being in the UK: Cross-sectional and fixed effects analyses over two decades
by Richards, Lindsay & Paskov, Marii
- 54-62 Debt trajectories and mental health
by Hojman, Daniel A. & Miranda, Álvaro & Ruiz-Tagle, Jaime
- 63-70 ‘You have all those emotions inside that you cannot show because of what they will cause’: Disclosing the absence of one's uterus and vagina
by Guntram, Lisa & Zeiler, Kristin
- 71-78 “They are looking just the same”: Antiretroviral treatment as social danger in rural Malawi
by Kaler, Amy & Angotti, Nicole & Ramaiya, Astha
- 79-87 ‘The one with the purse makes policy’: Power, problem definition, framing and maternal health policies and programmes evolution in national level institutionalised policy making processes in Ghana
by Koduah, Augustina & Agyepong, Irene Akua & van Dijk, Han
- 88-98 Priorities for action on the social determinants of health: Empirical evidence on the strongest associations with life expectancy in 54 low-income countries, 1990–2012
by Hauck, K. & Martin, S. & Smith, P.C.
- 99-106 Motivation in caring labor: Implications for the well-being and employment outcomes of nurses
by Dill, Janette & Erickson, Rebecca J. & Diefendorff, James M.
- 107-115 The impact of limiting long term illness on internal migration in England and Wales: New evidence from census microdata
by Wilding, Sam & Martin, David & Moon, Graham
- 116-127 What are GPs' preferences for financial and non-financial incentives in cancer screening? Evidence for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers
by Sicsic, Jonathan & Krucien, Nicolas & Franc, Carine
- 128-139 Crime victimization and the implications for individual health and wellbeing: A Sheffield case study
by Tan, Su-Yin & Haining, Robert
- 140-149 Leishmaniasis, conflict, and political terror: A spatio-temporal analysis
by Berry, Isha & Berrang-Ford, Lea
2016, Volume 166, Issue C
- 1-8 When life gives you lemons: The effectiveness of culinary group intervention among cancer patients
by Barak-Nahum, Ayelet & Haim, Limor Ben & Ginzburg, Karni
- 9-16 Pregnancy is more dangerous than the pill: A critical analysis of professional responses to the Yaz/Yasmin controversy
by Geampana, Alina
- 17-24 Parental intentions to enroll children in a voluntary expanded newborn screening program
by Paquin, Ryan S. & Peay, Holly L. & Gehtland, Lisa M. & Lewis, Megan A. & Bailey, Donald B.
- 25-32 ‘Keep complaining til someone listens’: Exchanges of tacit healthcare knowledge in online illness communities
by Foster, Drew
- 33-40 Measuring mental disorders: The failed commensuration project of DSM-5
by Whooley, Owen
- 41-48 The development of the nursing profession in a globalised context: A qualitative case study in Kerala, India
by Timmons, Stephen & Evans, Catrin & Nair, Sreelekha
- 49-56 Confidentiality considerations for use of social-spatial data on the social determinants of health: Sexual and reproductive health case study
by Haley, Danielle F. & Matthews, Stephen A. & Cooper, Hannah L.F. & Haardörfer, Regine & Adimora, Adaora A. & Wingood, Gina M. & Kramer, Michael R.
- 57-65 Health care reform and Diagnosis Related Groups in Germany: The mediating role of Hospital Liaison Committees for Jehovah's Witnesses
by Rajtar, Małgorzata
- 66-76 Building capacity for water, sanitation, and hygiene programming: Training evaluation theory applied to CLTS management training in Kenya
by Crocker, Jonny & Shields, Katherine F. & Venkataramanan, Vidya & Saywell, Darren & Bartram, Jamie
- 77-85 Early life socioeconomic position and immune response to persistent infections among elderly Latinos
by Meier, Helen C.S. & Haan, Mary N. & Mendes de Leon, Carlos F. & Simanek, Amanda M. & Dowd, Jennifer B. & Aiello, Allison E.
- 86-93 Setting the global health agenda: The influence of advocates and ideas on political priority for maternal and newborn survival
by Smith, Stephanie L. & Shiffman, Jeremy
- 94-101 Reproducing stigma: Interpreting “overweight” and “obese” women's experiences of weight-based discrimination in reproductive healthcare
by Bombak, Andrea E. & McPhail, Deborah & Ward, Pamela
- 102-109 Region of origin diversity in immigrant health: Moving beyond the Mexican case
by Reynolds, Megan M. & Chernenko, Alla & Read, Jen'nan Ghazal
- 110-119 “I can sit on the beach and punt through my mobile phone”: The influence of physical and online environments on the gambling risk behaviours of young men
by Deans, Emily G. & Thomas, Samantha L. & Daube, Mike & Derevensky, Jeffrey
- 120-127 Interventions to improve child-parent-medical provider communication: A systematic review
by Kodjebacheva, Gergana Damianova & Sabo, Tina & Xiong, Janet
- 128-136 Breastfeeding duration and offspring conduct problems: The moderating role of genetic risk
by Jackson, Dylan B.
- 137-149 All in the family: The link between kin network bridging and cardiovascular risk among older adults
by Goldman, Alyssa W.
- 150-159 Morals, morale and motivations in data fabrication: Medical research fieldworkers views and practices in two Sub-Saharan African contexts
by Kingori, Patricia & Gerrets, René
- 160-168 Gendered depression: Vulnerability or exposure to work and family stressors?
by Marchand, Alain & Bilodeau, Jaunathan & Demers, Andrée & Beauregard, Nancy & Durand, Pierre & Haines, Victor Y.
- 169-176 Expanding the relationship context for couple-based HIV prevention: Elucidating women's perspectives on non-traditional sexual partnerships
by Crankshaw, T.L. & Voce, A. & Butler, L.M. & Darbes, L.
- 177-185 Ménière's disease and biographical disruption: Where family transitions collide
by Bell, Sarah L. & Tyrrell, Jessica & Phoenix, Cassandra
- 186-194 Professional identity in nursing: UK students' explanations for poor standards of care
by Traynor, Michael & Buus, Niels
- 195-204 ‘If I go with him, I can't talk with other women’: Understanding women's resistance to, and acceptance of, men's involvement in maternal and child healthcare in northern Ghana
by Ganle, John Kuumuori & Dery, Isaac & Manu, Abubakar A. & Obeng, Bernard
- 205-213 From representing views to representativeness of views: Illustrating a new (Q2S) approach in the context of health care priority setting in nine European countries
by Mason, Helen & van Exel, Job & Baker, Rachel & Brouwer, Werner & Donaldson, Cam
- 214-222 “Getting the water-carrier to light the lamps”: Discrepant role perceptions of traditional, complementary, and alternative medical practitioners in government health facilities in India
by Josyula, K. Lakshmi & Sheikh, Kabir & Nambiar, Devaki & Narayan, Venkatesh V. & Sathyanarayana, T.N. & Porter, John D.H.
- 223-232 Alternative measures to BMI: Exploring income-related inequalities in adiposity in Great Britain
by Davillas, Apostolos & Benzeval, Michaela
- 233-243 Local descriptive norms for overweight/obesity and physical inactivity, features of the built environment, and 10-year change in glycosylated haemoglobin in an Australian population-based biomedical cohort
by Carroll, Suzanne J. & Paquet, Catherine & Howard, Natasha J. & Coffee, Neil T. & Taylor, Anne W. & Niyonsenga, Theo & Daniel, Mark
2016, Volume 165, Issue C
- 1-9 Theory-based modifications of an advanced notification letter improves screening for bowel cancer in men: A randomised controlled trial
by Zajac, Ian T. & Duncan, Amy C. & Flight, Ingrid & Wittert, Gary A. & Cole, Stephen R. & Young, Graeme P. & Wilson, Carlene J. & Turnbull, Deborah A.
- 10-18 What health plans do people prefer? The trade-off between premium and provider choice
by Determann, Domino & Lambooij, Mattijs S. & de Bekker-Grob, Esther W. & Hayen, Arthur P. & Varkevisser, Marco & Schut, Frederik T. & Wit, G. Ardine de
- 19-27 Mediating pathways between parental socio-economic position and allostatic load in mid-life: Findings from the 1958 British birth cohort
by Barboza Solís, Cristina & Fantin, Romain & Castagné, Raphaële & Lang, Thierry & Delpierre, Cyrille & Kelly-Irving, Michelle
- 28-35 Affective health bias in older adults: Considering positive and negative affect in a general health context
by Whitehead, Brenda R. & Bergeman, C.S.
- 36-45 “Quitting like a Turk:” How political priority developed for tobacco control in Turkey
by Hoe, Connie & Rodriguez, Daniela C. & Üzümcüoğlu, Yeşim & Hyder, Adnan A.
- 46-55 Spread of health behaviors in young couples: How relationship power shapes relational influence
by Cornelius, Talea & Desrosiers, Alethea & Kershaw, Trace
- 56-65 The emotional cost of distance: Geographic social network dispersion and post-traumatic stress among survivors of Hurricane Katrina
by Morris, Katherine Ann & Deterding, Nicole M.
- 66-74 Patient and general public preferences for health states: A call to reconsider current guidelines
by Versteegh, M.M. & Brouwer, W.B.F.
- 75-81 Measuring physicians' trust: A scoping review with implications for public policy
by Wilk, Adam S. & Platt, Jodyn E.
- 82-91 “Whether something cool is good enough”: The role of evidence, sales representatives and nurses' expertise in hospital purchasing decisions
by Grundy, Quinn
- 92-98 Truth and lies: Disclosure and the power of diagnosis
by Jutel, Annemarie
- 99-107 Gender and genetic contributions to weight identity among adolescents and young adults in the U.S
by Wedow, Robbee & Briley, Daniel A. & Short, Susan E. & Boardman, Jason D.
- 108-118 Do early life cognitive ability and self-regulation skills explain socio-economic inequalities in academic achievement? An effect decomposition analysis in UK and Australian cohorts
by Pearce, Anna & Sawyer, Alyssa C.P. & Chittleborough, Catherine R. & Mittinty, Murthy N. & Law, Catherine & Lynch, John W.
- 119-127 Marital quality, marital dissolution, and mortality risk during the later life course
by Bulanda, Jennifer Roebuck & Brown, J. Scott & Yamashita, Takashi
- 128-140 To move or not to move? Exploring the relationship between residential mobility, risk of cardiovascular disease and ethnicity in New Zealand
by Darlington-Pollock, Frances & Norman, Paul & Lee, Arier C. & Grey, Corina & Mehta, Suneela & Exeter, Daniel J.
- 141-149 “I have to constantly prove to myself, to people, that I fit the bill”: Perspectives on weight and shape control behaviors among low-income, ethnically diverse young transgender women
by Gordon, Allegra R. & Austin, S. Bryn & Krieger, Nancy & White Hughto, Jaclyn M. & Reisner, Sari L.
- 150-158 Young people's use of medicines: Pharmaceuticalised governance and illness management within household and school settings
by Thomas, Felicity
- 159-167 “Symptoms of something all around us”: Mental health, Inuit culture, and criminal justice in Arctic communities in Nunavut, Canada
by Ferrazzi, Priscilla & Krupa, Terry
- 168-176 Barriers and facilitators to health screening in men: A systematic review
by Teo, Chin Hai & Ng, Chirk Jenn & Booth, Andrew & White, Alan
- 177-186 Neighborhood safety factors associated with older adults' health-related outcomes: A systematic literature review
by Won, Jaewoong & Lee, Chanam & Forjuoh, Samuel N. & Ory, Marcia G.
- 187-195 What is herd immunity, and how does it relate to pediatric vaccination uptake? US parent perspectives
by Sobo, Elisa J.
- 206-213 Building a culture of health: A new framework and measures for health and health care in America
by Trujillo, Matthew D. & Plough, Alonzo
- 214-222 Cultures of engagement: The organizational foundations of advancing health in immigrant and low-income communities of color
by Bloemraad, Irene & Terriquez, Veronica
- 223-232 Destigmatization and health: Cultural constructions and the long-term reduction of stigma
by Clair, Matthew & Daniel, Caitlin & Lamont, Michèle
- 233-245 Risk is for the rich? Childhood vaccination resistance and a Culture of Health
by Berezin, Mabel & Eads, Alicia
- 246-254 The politics of health mobilization in the United States: The promise and pitfalls of “disease constituencies”
by Epstein, Steven
- 255-262 How a housing advocacy coalition adds health: A culture of claims-making
by Dasgupta, Kushan & Lichterman, Paul
- 263-270 How health navigators legitimize the Affordable Care Act to the uninsured poor
by Vargas, Robert
- 271-279 Culture, health, and bigotry: How exposure to cultural accounts of fatness shape attitudes about health risk, health policies, and weight-based prejudice
by Frederick, David A. & Saguy, Abigail C. & Gruys, Kjerstin
- 280-288 Cultural carrying capacity: Organ donation advocacy, discursive framing, and social media engagement
by Bail, Christopher A.
- 289-296 How does a culture of health change? Lessons from the war on cigarettes
by Schudson, Michael & Baykurt, Burcu
2016, Volume 164, Issue C
- 1-11 Older adults' quality of life – Exploring the role of the built environment and social cohesion in community-dwelling seniors on low income
by Engel, L. & Chudyk, A.M. & Ashe, M.C. & McKay, H.A. & Whitehurst, D.G.T. & Bryan, S.
- 12-18 Managing madness, murderers and paedophiles: Understanding change in the field of English forensic psychiatry
by McDonald, Ruth & Furtado, Vivek & Vollm, Birgit
- 19-26 Visualising uncertainty: Examining women's views on the role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in late pregnancy
by Reed, Kate & Kochetkova, Inna & Whitby, Elspeth
- 27-34 Limits and opportunities to community health worker empowerment: A multi-country comparative study
by Kane, Sumit & Kok, Maryse & Ormel, Hermen & Otiso, Lilian & Sidat, Mohsin & Namakhoma, Ireen & Nasir, Sudirman & Gemechu, Daniel & Rashid, Sabina & Taegtmeyer, Miriam & Theobald, Sally & de Koning, Korrie
- 35-43 Understanding HIV-related stigma in older age in rural Malawi
by Freeman, Emily
- 44-48 A chapter a day: Association of book reading with longevity
by Bavishi, Avni & Slade, Martin D. & Levy, Becca R.