Social Science & Medicine
2014, Volume 111, Issue C
- 101-109 An explanatory model of peer education within a complex medicines information exchange setting
by Klein, Linda A. & Ritchie, Jan E. & Nathan, Sally & Wutzke, Sonia
- 110-116 Provider payment bares teeth: Dentist reimbursement and the use of check-up examinations
by Listl, Stefan & Chalkley, Martin
- 117-124 Neighborhoods and mental health: Exploring ethnic density, poverty, and social cohesion among Asian Americans and Latinos
by Hong, Seunghye & Zhang, Wei & Walton, Emily
- 125-133 Reporting risk, producing prejudice: How news reporting on obesity shapes attitudes about health risk, policy, and prejudice
by Saguy, Abigail C. & Frederick, David & Gruys, Kjerstin
2014, Volume 110, Issue C
- 1-9 A qualitative exploration of access to urban migrant healthcare in Nairobi, Kenya
by Arnold, Christine & Theede, Jason & Gagnon, Anita
- 10-17 Incorporating intersectionality theory into population health research methodology: Challenges and the potential to advance health equity
by Bauer, Greta R.
- 18-25 Social marketing of water and sanitation products: A systematic review of peer-reviewed literature
by Evans, W.D. & Pattanayak, S.K. & Young, S. & Buszin, J. & Rai, S. & Bihm, Jasmine Wallace
- 26-30 A study on the effect of exclusion period on the suicidal risk among the insured
by Yip, Paul S.F. & Chen, Feng
- 31-40 Willingness to pay for public health services in rural Central Java, Indonesia: Methodological considerations when using the contingent valuation method
by Shono, Aiko & Kondo, Masahide & Ohmae, Hiroshi & Okubo, Ichiro
- 41-48 The multiple truths about crystal meth among young people entrenched in an urban drug scene: A longitudinal ethnographic investigation
by Fast, Danya & Kerr, Thomas & Wood, Evan & Small, Will
- 49-55 Hidden harms: Women's narratives of intimate partner violence in a microbicide trial, South Africa
by Stadler, Jonathan & Delany-Moretlwe, Sinead & Palanee, Thesla & Rees, Helen
- 56-63 The breast-cancer-ization of cancer survivorship: Implications for experiences of the disease
by Bell, Kirsten
- 65-73 Assessing access to care for transgender and gender nonconforming people: A consideration of diversity in combating discrimination
by Cruz, Taylor M.
- 74-80 Examining regional variation in the use of cancer screening in Germany
by Vogt, Verena & Siegel, Martin & Sundmacher, Leonie
- 81-88 Cultures of resistance? A Bourdieusian analysis of doctors' antibiotic prescribing
by Broom, Alex & Broom, Jennifer & Kirby, Emma
- 89-95 Individual and spousal unemployment as predictors of smoking and drinking behavior
by Arcaya, Mariana & Glymour, M. Maria & Christakis, Nicholas A. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V.
2014, Volume 109, Issue C
- 1-9 The use of citizens' juries in health policy decision-making: A systematic review
by Street, Jackie & Duszynski, Katherine & Krawczyk, Stephanie & Braunack-Mayer, Annette
- 10-18 Attitudes toward vaccination and the H1N1 vaccine: Poor people's unfounded fears or legitimate concerns of the elite?
by Peretti-Watel, Patrick & Raude, Jocelyn & Sagaon-Teyssier, Luis & Constant, Aymery & Verger, Pierre & Beck, François
- 19-25 Economic cycles and heart disease in Mexico
by Quast, Troy & Gonzalez, Fidel
- 26-34 Determinants of mental illness stigma for adolescents discharged from psychiatric hospitalization
by Moses, Tally
- 35-43 Born at the right time? Childhood health and the business cycle
by Angelini, Viola & Mierau, Jochen O.
- 44-54 Posttraumatic stress in emergency settings outside North America and Europe: A review of the emic literature
by Rasmussen, Andrew & Keatley, Eva & Joscelyne, Amy
- 55-65 Is breast truly best? Estimating the effects of breastfeeding on long-term child health and wellbeing in the United States using sibling comparisons
by Colen, Cynthia G. & Ramey, David M.
- 66-74 Everyday violence, structural racism and mistreatment at the US–Mexico border
by Sabo, Samantha & Shaw, Susan & Ingram, Maia & Teufel-Shone, Nicolette & Carvajal, Scott & de Zapien, Jill Guernsey & Rosales, Cecilia & Redondo, Flor & Garcia, Gina & Rubio-Goldsmith, Raquel
2014, Volume 108, Issue C
- 1-9 Ripple effects of developmental disabilities and mental illness on nondisabled adult siblings
by Wolfe, Barbara & Song, Jieun & Greenberg, Jan S. & Mailick, Marsha R.
- 10-19 From a conservative to a liberal welfare state: Decomposing changes in income-related health inequalities in Germany, 1994–2011
by Siegel, Martin & Vogt, Verena & Sundmacher, Leonie
- 20-33 Rewriting abortion: Deploying medical records in jurisdictional negotiation over a forbidden practice in Senegal
by Suh, Siri
- 34-45 The myth of conformity: Adolescents and abstention from unhealthy drinking behaviors
by Rees, Carter & Wallace, Danielle
- 46-53 The fit between health impact assessment and public policy: Practice meets theory
by Harris, Patrick & Sainsbury, Peter & Kemp, Lynn
- 54-59 What factors influence the use of contracts in the context of NHS dental practice? A systematic review of theory and logic model
by Harris, Rebecca & Mosedale, Sarah & Garner, Jayne & Perkins, Elizabeth
- 60-67 Early life conditions, partnership histories, and mortality risk for Swedish men and women born 1915–1929
by Donrovich, Robyn & Drefahl, Sven & Koupil, Ilona
- 68-73 Sales impact of displaying alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in end-of-aisle locations: An observational study
by Nakamura, Ryota & Pechey, Rachel & Suhrcke, Marc & Jebb, Susan A. & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 74-80 Monetary cost for time spent in everyday physical activities
by Hsu, Anne S. & Vlaev, Ivo
- 81-88 Cross race comparisons between SES health gradients among African–American and white women at mid-life
by Reagan, Patricia B. & Salsberry, Pamela J.
- 89-96 The changing contours of experimental governance in European health care
by Fierlbeck, Katherine
- 97-105 Self-management support in primary care: Enactments, disruptions, and conversational consequences
by Thille, Patricia & Ward, Natalie & Russell, Grant
- 106-114 Moving beyond the residential neighborhood to explore social inequalities in exposure to area-level disadvantage: Results from the Interdisciplinary Study on Inequalities in Smoking
by Shareck, Martine & Kestens, Yan & Frohlich, Katherine L.
- 115-119 The impact of an unconditional tax credit for families on self-rated health in adults: Further evidence from the cohort study of 6900 New Zealanders
by Pega, Frank & Carter, Kristie & Kawachi, Ichiro & Davis, Peter & Blakely, Tony
- 120-127 External factors affecting decision-making and use of evidence in an Australian public health policy environment
by Zardo, Pauline & Collie, Alex & Livingstone, Charles
- 128-136 The impact of employment transitions on health in Germany. A difference-in-differences propensity score matching approach
by Gebel, Michael & Voßemer, Jonas
- 137-146 Permeability of public and private spaces in reproductive healthcare seeking: Barriers to uptake of services among low income African American women in a smaller urban setting
by Golden, Annis G.
- 147-155 Social determinants of health and health equity policy research: Exploring the use, misuse, and nonuse of policy analysis theory
by Embrett, Mark G. & Randall, G.E.
- 156-165 Other-regarding behavior and motivation in health care provision: An experiment with medical and non-medical students
by Hennig-Schmidt, Heike & Wiesen, Daniel
- 166-174 Advancing methodology in the study of HIV status disclosure: The importance of considering disclosure target and intent
by Dima, Alexandra L. & Stutterheim, Sarah E. & Lyimo, Ramsey & de Bruin, Marijn
- 175-184 “This is the medicine:” A Kenyan community responds to a sexual concurrency reduction intervention
by Knopf, Amelia & Agot, Kawango & Sidle, John & Naanyu, Violet & Morris, Martina
- 185-193 Neighbourhood disadvantage, network capital and restless sleep: Is the association moderated by gender in urban-dwelling adults?
by Bassett, Emma & Moore, Spencer
- 194-200 Toward a social capital based framework for understanding the water-health nexus
by Bisung, Elijah & Elliott, Susan J.
- 201-209 Alcohol-impaired motor vehicle crash risk and the location of alcohol purchase
by Cotti, Chad & Dunn, Richard A. & Tefft, Nathan
- 210-222 The ‘taking place’ of health and wellbeing: Towards non-representational theory
by Andrews, Gavin J. & Chen, Sandra & Myers, Samantha
- 223-236 Provider payment methods and health worker motivation in community-based health insurance: A mixed-methods study
by Robyn, Paul Jacob & Bärnighausen, Till & Souares, Aurélia & Traoré, Adama & Bicaba, Brice & Sié, Ali & Sauerborn, Rainer
- 237-242 Very low birthweight: Dysregulated gestation versus evolutionary adaptation
by Catalano, Ralph & Karasek, Deborah & Gemmill, Alison & Falconi, April & Goodman, Julia & Magganas, Aristotle & Hartig, Terry
2014, Volume 107, Issue C
- 1-8 Stigma, agency and recovery amongst people with severe mental illness
by Whitley, Rob & Denise Campbell, Rosalyn
- 9-17 Does walking explain associations between access to greenspace and lower mortality?
by Lachowycz, Kate & Jones, Andy P.
- 18-25 The expressivist objection to prenatal testing: The experiences of families living with genetic disease
by Boardman, Felicity Kate
- 26-36 Racial segregation and maternal smoking during pregnancy: A multilevel analysis using the racial segregation interaction index
by Yang, Tse-Chuan & Shoff, Carla & Noah, Aggie J. & Black, Nyesha & Sparks, Corey S.
- 37-43 What are tests for? The implications of stuttering steps along the US patient pathway
by Tritter, Jonathan Q. & Lutfey, Karen & McKinlay, John
- 44-51 Neighbourhood cohesion and mental wellbeing among older adults: A mixed methods approach
by Elliott, Jane & Gale, Catharine R. & Parsons, Samantha & Kuh, Diana
- 52-60 General practitioners' management of the long-term sick role
by Higgins, Angela & Porter, Sam & O'Halloran, Peter
- 61-67 Increasing maternal healthcare use in Rwanda: Implications for child nutrition and survival
by Pierce, Hayley & Heaton, Tim B. & Hoffmann, John
- 68-77 Is shared misery double misery?
by Mervin, Merehau Cindy & Frijters, Paul
- 78-88 Why do people drop out of community-based health insurance? Findings from an exploratory household survey in Senegal
by Mladovsky, Philipa
- 89-99 What does SNAP benefit usage tell us about food access in low-income neighborhoods?
by Shannon, Jerry
- 100-104 Simmel's dynamic social medicine: New questions for studying medical institutions?
by Menchik, Daniel A.
- 105-112 Gender difference in the health risk perception of radiation from Fukushima in Japan: The role of hegemonic masculinity
by Morioka, Rika
- 113-123 Transnational nurse migration: Future directions for medical anthropological research
by Prescott, Megan & Nichter, Mark
- 124-135 Social support, social strain and inflammation: Evidence from a national longitudinal study of U.S. adults
by Yang, Yang Claire & Schorpp, Kristen & Harris, Kathleen Mullan
- 136-144 Examining mediators of housing mobility on adolescent asthma: Results from a housing voucher experiment
by Schmidt, Nicole M. & Lincoln, Alisa K. & Nguyen, Quynh C. & Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores & Osypuk, Theresa L.
- 145-153 ‘Looking beyond the male–female dichotomy’ – Sibling composition and child immunization in India, 1992–2006
by Singh, Prashant Kumar & Parasuraman, Sulabha
- 154-161 Birth weight and adult health in historical perspective: Evidence from a New Zealand cohort, 1907–1922
by Roberts, Evan & Wood, Pamela
- 162-170 Socioeconomic and geographic inequalities in adolescent smoking: A multilevel cross-sectional study of 15 year olds in Scotland
by Levin, K.A. & Dundas, R. & Miller, M. & McCartney, G.
- 171-178 Surviving polio in a post-polio world
by Groce, Nora Ellen & Banks, Lena Morgon & Stein, Michael Ashley
- 179-188 Adapting to social and political transitions – The influence of history on health policy formation in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar (Burma)
by Grundy, John & Annear, Peter & Ahmed, Shakil & Biggs, Beverley-Ann
- 189-195 Understanding the experiences and quality of life issues of Bahraini women with breast cancer
by Jassim, Ghufran A. & Whitford, David L.
- 196-204 Maternal work and children's diet, activity, and obesity
by Datar, Ashlesha & Nicosia, Nancy & Shier, Victoria
- 209-216 Community building and mental health in mid-life and older life: Evidence from China
by Shen, Yuying
2014, Volume 106, Issue C
- 1-9 Healthy ageing and home: The perspectives of very old people in five European countries
by Sixsmith, J. & Sixsmith, A. & Fänge, A. Malmgren & Naumann, D. & Kucsera, C. & Tomsone, S. & Haak, M. & Dahlin-Ivanoff, S. & Woolrych, R.
- 10-19 The Roman–Irish Bath: Medical/health history as therapeutic assemblage
by Foley, Ronan
- 20-27 Poverty and mental health in Indonesia
by Tampubolon, Gindo & Hanandita, Wulung
- 28-34 Unemployment, measured and perceived decline of economic resources: Contrasting three measures of recessionary hardships and their implications for adopting negative health behaviors
by Kalousova, Lucie & Burgard, Sarah A.
- 35-42 The impact of social action funds on child health in a conflict affected country: Evidence from Angola
by Djimeu, Eric W.
- 43-52 The impact of youth, family, peer and neighborhood risk factors on developmental trajectories of risk involvement from early through middle adolescence
by Wang, Bo & Deveaux, Lynette & Li, Xiaoming & Marshall, Sharon & Chen, Xinguang & Stanton, Bonita
- 53-58 Who donates their bodies to science? The combined role of gender and migration status among California whole-body donors
by Asad, Asad L. & Anteby, Michel & Garip, Filiz
- 59-66 Reducing emergency bed-days for older people? Network governance lessons from the ‘Improving the Future for Older People’ programme
by Sheaff, Rod & Windle, Karen & Wistow, Gerald & Ashby, Sue & Beech, Roger & Dickinson, Angela & Henderson, Catherine & Knapp, Martin
- 67-74 From policy making to service use. Down's syndrome antenatal screening in England, France and the Netherlands
by Vassy, Carine & Rosman, Sophia & Rousseau, Bénédicte
- 75-82 Does incentivising pill-taking ‘crowd out’ risk-information processing? Evidence from a web-based experiment
by Mantzari, Eleni & Vogt, Florian & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 83-92 Tracking human activity and well-being in natural environments using wearable sensors and experience sampling
by Doherty, Sean T. & Lemieux, Christopher J. & Canally, Culum
- 93-100 Motivation, justification, normalization: Talk strategies used by Canadian medical tourists regarding their choices to go abroad for hip and knee surgeries
by Cameron, Keri & Crooks, Valorie A. & Chouinard, Vera & Snyder, Jeremy & Johnston, Rory & Casey, Victoria
- 101-109 Changing policy and practice: Making sense of national guidelines for osteoarthritis
by Ong, Bie Nio & Morden, Andrew & Brooks, Lauren & Porcheret, Mark & Edwards, John J. & Sanders, Tom & Jinks, Clare & Dziedzic, Krysia
- 110-118 Gender, acculturation, and smoking behavior among U.S. Asian and Latino immigrants
by Gorman, Bridget K. & Lariscy, Joseph T. & Kaushik, Charisma
- 119-127 Supporting knowledge translation through collaborative translational research initiatives: ‘Bridging’ versus ‘blurring’ boundary-spanning approaches in the UK CLAHRC initiative
by Evans, Sarah & Scarbrough, Harry
- 128-136 Historical trauma as public narrative: A conceptual review of how history impacts present-day health
by Mohatt, Nathaniel Vincent & Thompson, Azure B. & Thai, Nghi D. & Tebes, Jacob Kraemer
- 137-142 Comparing the effects of defaults in organ donation systems
by van Dalen, Hendrik P. & Henkens, Kène
- 143-150 Challenges of health measurement in studies of health disparities
by Burgard, Sarah A. & Chen, Patricia V.
- 151-158 ‘Safer environment interventions’: A qualitative synthesis of the experiences and perceptions of people who inject drugs
by McNeil, Ryan & Small, Will
- 159-167 The potential consequences of informal interpreting practices for assessment of patients in a South African psychiatric hospital
by Kilian, Sanja & Swartz, Leslie & Dowling, Tessa & Dlali, Mawande & Chiliza, Bonginkosi
- 168-176 Mindfulness meditation: Do-it-yourself medicalization of every moment
by Barker, Kristin K.
- 177-184 Long-term consequences of female genital mutilation in a European context: Self perceived health of FGM women compared to non-FGM women
by Andro, Armelle & Cambois, Emmanuelle & Lesclingand, Marie
- 185-193 Women's empowerment and generalized anxiety in Minya, Egypt
by Yount, Kathryn M. & Dijkerman, Sally & Zureick-Brown, Sarah & VanderEnde, Kristin E.
- 194-203 Valuing patients' experiences of healthcare processes: Towards broader applications of existing methods
by Ryan, Mandy & Kinghorn, Philip & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Francis, Jill J.
- 204-213 Barriers in access to healthcare in countries with different health systems. A cross-sectional study in municipalities of central Colombia and north-eastern Brazil
by Garcia-Subirats, Irene & Vargas, Ingrid & Mogollón-Pérez, Amparo Susana & De Paepe, Pierre & da Silva, Maria Rejane Ferreira & Unger, Jean Pierre & Vázquez, María Luisa
- 214-220 Sites of institutional racism in public health policy making in New Zealand
by Came, Heather
- 221-228 Victory for volunteerism? Scottish health board elections and participation in the welfare state
by Greer, Scott L. & Stewart, Ellen A. & Wilson, Iain & Donnelly, Peter D.
2014, Volume 105, Issue C
- 1-8 Cultural targeting and tailoring of shared decision making technology: A theoretical framework for improving the effectiveness of patient decision aids in culturally diverse groups
by Alden, Dana L. & Friend, John & Schapira, Marilyn & Stiggelbout, Anne
- 9-15 Neighbourhood social capital as a moderator between individual cognitions and sports behaviour among Dutch adolescents
by Prins, R.G. & Beenackers, M.A. & Boog, M.C. & Van Lenthe, F.J. & Brug, J. & Oenema, A.
- 16-21 Livestock production, animal source food intake, and young child growth: The role of gender for ensuring nutrition impacts
by Jin, Minchao & Iannotti, Lora L.
- 22-29 Reflections on informed choice in resource-poor settings: The case of infant feeding counselling in PMTCT programmes in Tanzania
by Våga, Bodil Bø & Moland, Karen Marie & Evjen-Olsen, Bjørg & Blystad, Astrid
- 30-37 Social capital, ideology, and health in the United States
by Herian, Mitchel N. & Tay, Louis & Hamm, Joseph A. & Diener, Ed
- 38-46 Do Sector Wide Approaches for health aid delivery lead to ‘donor-flight’? A comparison of 46 low-income countries
by Sweeney, Rohan & Mortimer, Duncan & Johnston, David W.
- 47-58 Social capital, mental health and biomarkers in Chile: Assessing the effects of social capital in a middle-income country
by Riumallo-Herl, Carlos Javier & Kawachi, Ichiro & Avendano, Mauricio
- 59-66 Hospitals as a ‘risk environment’: An ethno-epidemiological study of voluntary and involuntary discharge from hospital against medical advice among people who inject drugs
by McNeil, Ryan & Small, Will & Wood, Evan & Kerr, Thomas
- 67-75 Childhood peer status and the clustering of social, economic, and health-related circumstances in adulthood
by Almquist, Ylva B. & Brännström, Lars
- 76-83 “But we're not hypochondriacs”: The changing shape of gluten-free dieting and the contested illness experience
by Moore, Lauren Renée
- 84-92 Educated mothers, healthy infants. The impact of a school reform on the birth weight of Norwegian infants 1967–2005
by Grytten, Jostein & Skau, Irene & Sørensen, Rune J.
- 93-102 Using decision mapping to inform the development of a stated choice survey to elicit youth preferences for sexual and reproductive health and HIV services in rural Malawi
by Michaels-Igbokwe, Christine & Lagarde, Mylene & Cairns, John & Terris-Prestholt, Fern
- 103-111 Human rights violations and smoking status among South African adults enrolled in the South Africa Stress and Health (SASH) study
by Dutra, Lauren M. & Williams, David R. & Gupta, Jhumka & Kawachi, Ichiro & Okechukwu, Cassandra A.
- 112-121 The health financing transition: A conceptual framework and empirical evidence
by Fan, Victoria Y. & Savedoff, William D.
- 122-130 Childhood trauma and metabolic syndrome in men and women
by Lee, Chioun & Tsenkova, Vera & Carr, Deborah
- 131-139 Why are educated adults slim—Causation or selection?
by von Hippel, Paul T. & Lynch, Jamie L.
- 140-148 The effect of financial incentives on chlamydia testing rates: Evidence from a randomized experiment
by Dolan, Paul & Rudisill, Caroline
2014, Volume 104, Issue C
- 1-5 Term limits and the tobacco industry
by Apollonio, Dorie E. & Glantz, Stanton A. & Bero, Lisa A.
- 6-14 “I didn't think I could get out of the fucking park.” Gay men's retrospective accounts of neighborhood space, emerging sexuality and migrations
by Frye, Victoria & Egan, James E. & Tieu, Hong Van & Cerdá, Magdalena & Ompad, Danielle & Koblin, Beryl A.
- 15-22 Childhood family psychosocial environment and carotid intima media thickness: The CARDIA study
by Loucks, Eric B. & Taylor, Shelley E. & Polak, Joseph F. & Wilhelm, Aude & Kalra, Preety & Matthews, Karen A.
- 23-30 Relationships between the perceived neighborhood social environment and walking for transportation among older adults
by Van Cauwenberg, Jelle & De Donder, Liesbeth & Clarys, Peter & De Bourdeaudhuij, Ilse & Buffel, Tine & De Witte, Nico & Dury, Sarah & Verté, Dominique & Deforche, Benedicte
- 31-40 Comparing tailored and narrative worksite interventions at increasing colonoscopy adherence in adults 50–75: A randomized controlled trial
by Jensen, Jakob D. & King, Andy J. & Carcioppolo, Nick & Krakow, Melinda & Samadder, N. Jewel & Morgan, Susan
- 42-47 Of kin and kidneys: Do kinship networks contribute to racial disparities in living donor kidney transplantation?
by Daw, Jonathan
- 48-55 Fast, cheap, and out of control? Speculations and ethical concerns in the conduct of outsourced clinical trials in India
by Kamat, Vinay R.
- 56-63 Why don't clinicians adhere more consistently to guidelines for the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI)?
by Lange, Siri & Mwisongo, Aziza & Mæstad, Ottar
- 64-73 The pathways from perceived discrimination to self-rated health: An investigation of the roles of distrust, social capital, and health behaviors
by Chen, Danhong & Yang, Tse-Chuan
- 74-79 Food and nutrition security public initiatives from a human and socioeconomic development perspective: Mapping experiences within the 1996 World Food Summit signatories
by Aliaga, Marie Agnès & Chaves-Dos-Santos, Sandra Maria
- 80-87 Rewarding altruism: Addressing the issue of payments for volunteers in public health initiatives
by South, Jane & Purcell, Martin E. & Branney, Peter & Gamsu, Mark & White, Judy
- 88-97 How is post-industrial decline associated with the geography of physical activity? Evidence from the Health Survey for England
by Rind, Esther & Jones, Andy & Southall, Humphrey
- 98-106 What determines providers' stated preference for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria?
by Mangham-Jefferies, Lindsay & Hanson, Kara & Mbacham, Wilfred & Onwujekwe, Obinna & Wiseman, Virginia
- 107-115 Youth physical activity and the neighbourhood environment: Examining correlates and the role of neighbourhood definition
by van Loon, Josh & Frank, Lawrence D. & Nettlefold, Lindsay & Naylor, Patti-Jean
- 116-123 Constructing a trial as a personal lifestyle change project: Participants' experiences in a clinical study for nicotine vaccination
by Wolters, Anna & de Wert, Guido & van Schayck, Onno & Horstman, Klasien
- 124-132 Adolescents' perceptions of health from disadvantaged urban communities: Findings from the WAVE study
by Mmari, Kristin & Blum, Robert & Sonenstein, Freya & Marshall, Beth & Brahmbhatt, Heena & Venables, Emily & Delany-Moretlwe, Sinead & Lou, Chaohua & Gao, Ershang & Acharya, Rajib & Jejeebhoy, Shireen & Sangowawa, Adesola
- 133-141 Does childhood misfortune raise the risk of acute myocardial infarction in adulthood?
by Morton, Patricia M. & Mustillo, Sarah A. & Ferraro, Kenneth F.
- 142-147 Contextual determinants of US nursing home racial/ethnic diversity
by Davis, Jullet A. & Weech-Maldonado, Robert & Lapane, Kate L. & Laberge, Alex
- 148-156 The role of social capital in African–American women's use of mammography
by Dean, Lorraine & Subramanian, S.V. & Williams, David R. & Armstrong, Katrina & Charles, Camille Zubrinsky & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 157-162 Institutional ethical review and ethnographic research involving injection drug users: A case study
by Small, Will & Maher, Lisa & Kerr, Thomas
- 163-177 Racial disparities in self-rated health: Trends, explanatory factors, and the changing role of socio-demographics
by Beck, Audrey N. & Finch, Brian K. & Lin, Shih-Fan & Hummer, Robert A. & Masters, Ryan K.
- 178-186 Talking with text: Communication in therapist-led, live chat cancer support groups
by Stephen, Joanne & Collie, Kate & McLeod, Deborah & Rojubally, Adina & Fergus, Karen & Speca, Michael & Turner, Jill & Taylor-Brown, Jill & Sellick, Scott & Burrus, Kimberly & Elramly, Mai
- 187-193 Macroeconomic fluctuations and motorcycle fatalities in the U.S
by French, Michael T. & Gumus, Gulcin
- 194-200 Parenting with bipolar disorder: Coping with risk of mood disorders to children
by Peay, Holly Landrum & Rosenstein, Donald L. & Biesecker, Barbara Bowles
- 201-209 Health inequalities in Japan: The role of material, psychosocial, social relational and behavioural factors
by Hiyoshi, Ayako & Fukuda, Yoshiharu & Shipley, Martin J. & Brunner, Eric J.
- 210-219 Choose and Book: A sociological analysis of ‘resistance’ to an expert system
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Stones, Rob & Swinglehurst, Deborah
- 220-227 Violence as a public health problem: An ecological study of 169 countries
by Wolf, Achim & Gray, Ron & Fazel, Seena
2014, Volume 103, Issue C
- 7-14 Systemic racism and U.S. health care
by Feagin, Joe & Bennefield, Zinobia
- 15-23 Stigma, status, and population health
by Phelan, Jo C. & Lucas, Jeffrey W. & Ridgeway, Cecilia L. & Taylor, Catherine J.
- 24-32 Stigma power
by Link, Bruce G. & Phelan, Jo
- 33-41 Structural stigma and all-cause mortality in sexual minority populations
by Hatzenbuehler, Mark L. & Bellatorre, Anna & Lee, Yeonjin & Finch, Brian K. & Muennig, Peter & Fiscella, Kevin
- 42-50 Structural racism and myocardial infarction in the United States
by Lukachko, Alicia & Hatzenbuehler, Mark L. & Keyes, Katherine M.
- 51-59 Physiological stress response to loss of social influence and threats to masculinity
by Taylor, Catherine J.
- 60-66 Public attitudes regarding individual and structural discrimination: Two sides of the same coin?
by Angermeyer, Matthias C. & Matschinger, Herbert & Link, Bruce G. & Schomerus, Georg
- 67-75 The influence of structural stigma and rejection sensitivity on young sexual minority men's daily tobacco and alcohol use
by Pachankis, John E. & Hatzenbuehler, Mark L. & Starks, Tyrel J.
- 76-83 Pathologizing poverty: New forms of diagnosis, disability, and structural stigma under welfare reform
by Hansen, Helena & Bourgois, Philippe & Drucker, Ernest
- 84-93 “What matters most:” A cultural mechanism moderating structural vulnerability and moral experience of mental illness stigma
by Yang, Lawrence H. & Chen, Fang-pei & Sia, Kathleen Janel & Lam, Jonathan & Lam, Katherine & Ngo, Hong & Lee, Sing & Kleinman, Arthur & Good, Byron
- 94-100 Self-regulatory processes underlying structural stigma and health
by Richman, Laura Smart & Lattanner, Micah R.
- 101-109 Intervening within and across levels: A multilevel approach to stigma and public health
by Cook, Jonathan E. & Purdie-Vaughns, Valerie & Meyer, Ilan H. & Busch, Justin T.A.
- 110-117 Competing perspectives on erasing the stigma of illness: What says the dodo bird?
by Corrigan, Patrick W. & Fong, Mandy W.M.
- 118-125 HIV prevention interventions to reduce sexual risk for African Americans: The influence of community-level stigma and psychological processes
by Reid, Allecia E. & Dovidio, John F. & Ballester, Estrellita & Johnson, Blair T.
- 126-133 Structural competency: Theorizing a new medical engagement with stigma and inequality
by Metzl, Jonathan M. & Hansen, Helena
2014, Volume 102, Issue C
- 1-9 Do flexible alcohol trading hours reduce violence? A theory-based natural experiment in alcohol policy
by Humphreys, David K. & Eisner, Manuel P.
- 10-17 Mobilising “vulnerability” in the public health response to pandemic influenza
by Stephenson, Niamh & Davis, Mark & Flowers, Paul & MacGregor, Casimir & Waller, Emily
- 18-25 The spread of ‘Post Abortion Syndrome’ as social diagnosis
by Kelly, Kimberly
- 26-32 Perceived Organizational Justice in Care Services: Creation and multi-sample validation of a measure
by Pérez-Arechaederra, Diana & Briones, Elena & Lind, Allan & García-Ortiz, Luis
- 33-40 Socioeconomic status and the incidence of child injuries in China
by Fang, Xiangming & Jing, Ruiwei & Zeng, Guang & Linnan, Huan Wan & Zhu, Xu & Linnan, Michael
- 41-48 Healthy migrant and salmon bias hypotheses: A study of health and internal migration in China
by Lu, Yao & Qin, Lijian
- 49-57 Treatment seeking and health financing in selected poor urban neighbourhoods in India, Indonesia and Thailand
by Seeberg, Jens & Pannarunothai, Supasit & Padmawati, Retna Siwi & Trisnantoro, Laksono & Barua, Nupur & Pandav, Chandrakant S.
- 58-68 Health capabilities and diabetes self-management: The impact of economic, social, and cultural resources
by Weaver, Robert R. & Lemonde, Manon & Payman, Naghmeh & Goodman, William M.
- 69-73 Pricing schemes for new drugs: A welfare analysis
by Levaggi, Rosella
- 74-82 Caregiving intensity and retirement status in Canada
by Jacobs, Josephine C. & Laporte, Audrey & Van Houtven, Courtney H. & Coyte, Peter C.
- 83-93 Quality of life instruments for economic evaluations in health and social care for older people: A systematic review
by Makai, Peter & Brouwer, Werner B.F. & Koopmanschap, Marc A. & Stolk, Elly A. & Nieboer, Anna P.
- 94-102 The interaction of family background and personal education on depressive symptoms in later life
by Schaan, Barbara
- 103-110 Can mobile phones help control neglected tropical diseases? Experiences from Tanzania
by Madon, Shirin & Amaguru, Jackline Olanya & Malecela, Mwele Ntuli & Michael, Edwin
- 111-118 Informal caregivers' hopes and expectations of a referral to a memory clinic
by Morgan, Debra G. & Walls-Ingram, Sheena & Cammer, Allison & O'Connell, Megan E. & Crossley, Margaret & Bello-Haas, Vanina Dal & Forbes, Dorothy & Innes, Anthea & Kirk, Andrew & Stewart, Norma
- 119-128 Selling patients and other metaphors: A discourse analysis of the interpretive frames that shape emergency department admission handoffs
by Hilligoss, Brian
- 129-137 Does change in the neighborhood environment prevent obesity in older women?
by Michael, Yvonne L. & Nagel, Corey L. & Gold, Rachel & Hillier, Teresa A.
- 138-145 Governing healthcare: Finding meaning in a clinical practice guideline for the management of non-specific low back pain
by Wilson, Nicky & Pope, Catherine & Roberts, Lisa & Crouch, Robert
- 146-156 “She mixes her business”: HIV transmission and acquisition risks among female migrants in western Kenya
by Camlin, Carol S. & Kwena, Zachary A. & Dworkin, Shari L. & Cohen, Craig R. & Bukusi, Elizabeth A.
- 157-164 Implications for alcohol minimum unit pricing advocacy: What can we learn for public health from UK newsprint coverage of key claim-makers in the policy debate?
by Hilton, Shona & Wood, Karen & Patterson, Chris & Katikireddi, Srinivasa Vittal
- 165-173 Understanding motives for intravaginal practices amongst Tanzanian and Ugandan women at high risk of HIV infection: The embodiment of social and cultural norms and well-being
by Lees, Shelley & Zalwango, Flavia & Andrew, Bahati & Vandepitte, Judith & Seeley, Janet & Hayes, Richard J. & Francis, Suzanna C.
- 174-182 Income inequality and sexually transmitted in the United States: Who bears the burden?
by Harling, Guy & Subramanian, S.V. & Bärnighausen, Till & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 183-189 Assessing the population-level impact of vouchers on access to health facility delivery for women in Kenya
by Obare, Francis & Warren, Charlotte & Abuya, Timothy & Askew, Ian & Bellows, Ben
- 190-200 Health sector priority setting at meso-level in lower and middle income countries: Lessons learned, available options and suggested steps
by Hipgrave, David B. & Alderman, Katarzyna Bolsewicz & Anderson, Ian & Soto, Eliana Jimenez
2014, Volume 101, Issue C
- 1-8 The effect of belonging to an alcohol-proscribing religious group on the relationship between moderate alcohol consumption and mortality
by Hayward, R. David & Krause, Neal
- 9-17 Social capital and chronic post-traumatic stress disorder among survivors of the 2007 earthquake in Pisco, Peru
by Flores, Elaine C. & Carnero, Andres M. & Bayer, Angela M.
- 18-27 Can social capital help explain enrolment (or lack thereof) in community-based health insurance? Results of an exploratory mixed methods study from Senegal
by Mladovsky, Philipa & Soors, Werner & Ndiaye, Pascal & Ndiaye, Alfred & Criel, Bart
- 28-35 Effect of the Crisis Assistance Program on poverty transition for seriously ill people in South Korea: A quasi-experimental study
by Kim, Chang-O & Joung, Won Oh
- 36-46 Social inequality in infant mortality: What explains variation across low and middle income countries?
by Hajizadeh, Mohammad & Nandi, Arijit & Heymann, Jody
- 47-51 The failure of financial incentive? The seemingly inexorable rise of cesarean section
by Chen, Chin-Shyan & Liu, Tsai-Ching & Chen, Bradley & Lin, Chung-Liang
- 52-60 Socioeconomic inequalities in health after age 50: Are health risk behaviors to blame?
by Shaw, Benjamin A. & McGeever, Kelly & Vasquez, Elizabeth & Agahi, Neda & Fors, Stefan
- 61-69 Public social monitoring reports and their effect on a policy programme aimed at addressing the social determinants of health to improve health equity in New Zealand
by Pega, Frank & Valentine, Nicole B. & Matheson, Don & Rasanathan, Kumanan
- 70-77 National electronic health records and the digital disruption of moral orders
by Garrety, Karin & McLoughlin, Ian & Wilson, Rob & Zelle, Gregor & Martin, Mike
- 78-85 Against all odds? Understanding the emergence of accreditation of the Danish hospitals
by Triantafillou, Peter
- 86-93 Discussing dying in the diaspora: Attitudes towards advance care planning among first generation Dutch and Italian migrants in rural Australia
by Sinclair, Craig & Smith, Jessica & Toussaint, Yann & Auret, Kirsten
- 94-106 Do post-migration perceptions of social mobility matter for Latino immigrant health?
by Alcántara, Carmela & Chen, Chih-Nan & Alegría, Margarita
- 107-112 Teaching hospital performance: Towards a community of shared values?
by Mauro, Marianna & Cardamone, Emma & Cavallaro, Giusy & Minvielle, Etienne & Rania, Francesco & Sicotte, Claude & Trotta, Annarita
- 113-119 Exerting control and adapting to loss in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
by Foley, Geraldine & Timonen, Virpi & Hardiman, Orla
- 120-128 Creating the ‘dis-ease’ of high cholesterol: A sociology of diagnosis reception analysis
by Jovanovic, Maja
- 129-138 The long lasting effects of education on old age health: Evidence of gender differences
by Mazzonna, Fabrizio