Social Science & Medicine
2013, Volume 98, Issue C
- 179-186 Social group memberships protect against future depression, alleviate depression symptoms and prevent depression relapse
by Cruwys, Tegan & Dingle, Genevieve A. & Haslam, Catherine & Haslam, S. Alexander & Jetten, Jolanda & Morton, Thomas A.
- 187-196 Operationalising the capability approach for outcome measurement in mental health research
by Simon, Judit & Anand, Paul & Gray, Alastair & Rugkåsa, Jorun & Yeeles, Ksenija & Burns, Tom
- 197-203 The impacts of marriage, cohabitation and dating relationships on weekly self-reported physical activity in Germany: A 19-year longitudinal study
by Rapp, Ingmar & Schneider, Björn
- 204-213 Potential effectiveness of anti-smoking advertisement types in ten low and middle income countries: Do demographics, smoking characteristics and cultural differences matter?
by Durkin, Sarah & Bayly, Megan & Cotter, Trish & Mullin, Sandra & Wakefield, Melanie
- 214-223 The effects of information, social and financial incentives on voluntary undirected blood donations: Evidence from a field experiment in Argentina
by Iajya, Victor & Lacetera, Nicola & Macis, Mario & Slonim, Robert
- 224-231 Ethics is for human subjects too: Participant perspectives on responsibility in health research
by Cox, Susan M. & McDonald, Michael
- 232-238 “Differently normal” and “normally different”: Negotiations of female embodiment in women's accounts of ‘atypical’ sex development
by Guntram, Lisa
- 239-246 The relationship between three stages of job change and long-term sickness absence
by Bernstrøm, Vilde Hoff
- 247-252 Do bonding and bridging social capital affect self-rated health, depressive mood and cognitive decline in older Japanese? A prospective cohort study
by Murayama, Hiroshi & Nishi, Mariko & Matsuo, Eri & Nofuji, Yu & Shimizu, Yumiko & Taniguchi, Yu & Fujiwara, Yoshinori & Shinkai, Shoji
- 253-259 Tobacco Road Finland – How did an accepted pleasure turn into an avoidable risk behaviour?
by Hakkarainen, Pekka
- 264-270 From bioethics to a sociology of bio-knowledge
by Petersen, Alan
- 271-277 Bioethics and religious bodies: Refusal of blood transfusions in Germany
by Rajtar, Małgorzata
- 278-285 Ethics and images of suffering bodies in humanitarian medicine
by Calain, Philippe
- 286-292 Bioethical ambition, political opportunity and the European governance of patenting: The case of human embryonic stem cell science
by Salter, Brian & Salter, Charlotte
- 293-300 From global bioethics to ethical governance of biomedical research collaborations
by Wahlberg, Ayo & Rehmann-Sutter, Christoph & Sleeboom-Faulkner, Margaret & Lu, Guangxiu & Döring, Ole & Cong, Yali & Laska-Formejster, Alicja & He, Jing & Chen, Haidan & Gottweis, Herbert & Rose, Nikolas
- 301-310 Resisting the seduction of “ethics creep”: Using Foucault to surface complexity and contradiction in research ethics review
by Guta, Adrian & Nixon, Stephanie A. & Wilson, Michael G.
- 311-318 Ethical review: Standardizing procedures and local shaping of ethical review practices
by Jaspers, Patricia & Houtepen, Rob & Horstman, Klasien
- 319-329 How organizational context affects bioethical decision-making: Pharmacists' management of gatekeeping processes in retail and hospital settings
by Chiarello, Elizabeth
- 330-339 Bioethics in practice: Addressing ethically sensitive requests in a Dutch fertility clinic
by Gerrits, Trudie & Reis, Ria & Braat, Didi, D.M. & Kremer, Jan, A.M. & Hardon, Anita, P.
- 340-344 Bioethics and power: Informed consent procedures in post-socialist Latvia
by Putniņa, Aivita
- 345-350 Human embryonic stem cell science and policy: The case of Iran
by Saniei, Mansooreh
- 351-360 ‘Give us the full story’: Overcoming the challenges to achieving informed choice about fetal anomaly screening in Australian Aboriginal communities
by Wild, Kayli & Maypilama, Elaine Lawurrpa & Kildea, Sue & Boyle, Jacqueline & Barclay, Lesley & Rumbold, Alice
- 361-370 Experiencing everyday ethics in context: Frontline data collectors perspectives and practices of bioethics
by Kingori, Patricia
- 371-378 ‘Wicked’ ethics: Compliance work and the practice of ethics in HIV research
by Heimer, Carol A.
2013, Volume 97, Issue C
- 1-6 The impact of different prioritisation policies on waiting times: Case studies of Norway and Scotland
by Januleviciute, Jurgita & Askildsen, Jan Erik & Kaarboe, Oddvar & Holmås, Tor Helge & Sutton, Matt
- 7-14 Race, life course socioeconomic position, racial discrimination, depressive symptoms and self-rated health
by Hudson, Darrell L. & Puterman, Eli & Bibbins-Domingo, Kirsten & Matthews, Karen A. & Adler, Nancy E.
- 15-19 Child health security in China: A survey of child health insurance coverage in diverse areas of the country
by Xiong, Juyang & Hipgrave, David & Myklebust, Karoline & Guo, Sufang & Scherpbier, Robert W. & Tong, Xuetao & Yao, Lan & Moran, Andrew E.
- 20-28 Aboriginal Australians' experience of social capital and its relevance to health and wellbeing in urban settings
by Browne-Yung, Kathryn & Ziersch, Anna & Baum, Fran & Gallaher, Gilbert
- 29-40 The effect of marriage and HIV risks on condom use acceptability in rural Malawi
by Anglewicz, Philip & Clark, Shelley
- 41-48 Efficacy of text messaging-based interventions for health promotion: A meta-analysis
by Head, Katharine J. & Noar, Seth M. & Iannarino, Nicholas T. & Grant Harrington, Nancy
- 49-55 Perceived neighborhood social cohesion and stroke
by Kim, Eric S. & Park, Nansook & Peterson, Christopher
- 56-65 Exploring the health consequences of majority–minority neighborhoods: Minority diversity and birthweight among native-born and foreign-born blacks
by Vang, Zoua M. & Elo, Irma T.
- 66-74 The socioeconomic health gradient across the life cycle: What role for selective mortality and institutionalization?
by Baeten, Steef & Van Ourti, Tom & van Doorslaer, Eddy
- 75-81 Shame as a barrier to health seeking among indigenous Huichol migrant labourers: An interpretive approach of the “violence continuum” and “authoritative knowledge”
by Gamlin, Jennie B.
- 82-86 The acceptability and feasibility of task-sharing for mental healthcare in low and middle income countries: A systematic review
by Padmanathan, Prianka & De Silva, Mary J.
- 87-94 Planning safer suburbs: Do changes in the built environment influence residents' perceptions of crime risk?
by Foster, Sarah & Wood, Lisa & Christian, Hayley & Knuiman, Matthew & Giles-Corti, Billie
- 95-103 Neighbourhood socioeconomic status and individual lung cancer risk: Evaluating long-term exposure measures and mediating mechanisms
by Hystad, Perry & Carpiano, Richard M. & Demers, Paul A. & Johnson, Kenneth C. & Brauer, Michael
- 104-111 Spaces for smoking in a psychiatric hospital: Social capital, resistance to control, and significance for ‘therapeutic landscapes’
by Wood, Victoria J. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Gesler, Wil & Spencer, Ian H. & Close, Helen J. & Mason, James M. & Reilly, Joe G.
- 112-123 What constitutes a health-enabling neighborhood? A grounded theory situational analysis addressing the significance of social capital and gender
by Eriksson, Malin & Emmelin, Maria
- 124-133 Child marriage prevention in Amhara Region, Ethiopia: Association of communication exposure and social influence with parents/guardians' knowledge and attitudes
by Gage, Anastasia J.
- 134-142 Variation in the interpretation of scientific integrity in community-based participatory health research
by Kraemer Diaz, Anne E. & Spears Johnson, Chaya R. & Arcury, Thomas A.
- 143-151 Exploring substance use normalization among adolescents: A multilevel study in 35 countries
by Sznitman, Sharon R. & Kolobov, Tanya & Bogt, Tom ter & Kuntsche, Emmanuel & Walsh, Sophie D. & Boniel-Nissim, Meyran & Harel-Fisch, Yossi
- 152-160 Mothers' reading skills and child survival in Nigeria: Examining the relevance of mothers' decision-making power
by Smith-Greenaway, Emily
- 161-169 The influence of parental monitoring and parent–adolescent communication on Bahamian adolescent risk involvement: A three-year longitudinal examination
by Wang, Bo & Stanton, Bonita & Li, Xiaoming & Cottrell, Lesley & Deveaux, Lynette & Kaljee, Linda
- 170-175 Individual and hospital-specific factors influencing medical graduates' time to medical specialization
by Johannessen, Karl-Arne & Hagen, Terje P.
- 176-191 Negotiating last-minute concerns in closing Korean medical encounters: The use of gaze, body and talk
by Park, Yujong
- 192-200 Healthcare provider views on the health effects of biomass fuel collection and use in rural Eastern Cape, South Africa: An ethnographic study
by Matinga, Margaret Njirambo & Annegarn, Harold J. & Clancy, Joy S.
- 201-209 Compassionate containment? Balancing technical safety and therapy in the design of psychiatric wards
by Curtis, Sarah & Gesler, Wilbert & Wood, Victoria & Spencer, Ian & Mason, James & Close, Helen & Reilly, Joseph
- 210-219 The seven Cs of the high acceptability of home-based VCT: Results from a mixed methods approach in Zambia
by Jürgensen, Marte & Sandøy, Ingvild F. & Michelo, Charles & Fylkesnes, Knut & Mwangala, Sheila & Blystad, Astrid
- 220-227 Protecting the public or setting the bar too high? Understanding the causes and consequences of regulatory actions of front-line regulators and specialized drug shop operators in Kenya
by Wafula, Francis & Molyneux, Catherine & Mackintosh, Maureen & Goodman, Catherine
- 228-237 Effectiveness and equity impacts of town-wide cycling initiatives in England: A longitudinal, controlled natural experimental study
by Goodman, Anna & Panter, Jenna & Sharp, Stephen J. & Ogilvie, David
- 241-249 Subsidized childcare and child development in Colombia: Effects of Hogares Comunitarios de Bienestar as a function of timing and length of exposure
by Bernal, Raquel & Fernández, Camila
- 250-258 Effectiveness of a parenting program in Bangladesh to address early childhood health, growth and development
by Aboud, Frances E. & Singla, Daisy R. & Nahil, Md Imam & Borisova, Ivelina
- 259-266 Malnutrition in early life and adult mental health: Evidence from a natural experiment
by Huang, Cheng & Phillips, Michael R. & Zhang, Yali & Zhang, Jingxuan & Shi, Qichang & Song, Zhiqiang & Ding, Zhijie & Pang, Shutao & Martorell, Reynaldo
- 267-277 Physical growth and cognitive skills in early-life: Evidence from a nationally representative US birth cohort
by Murasko, Jason E.
- 278-287 Periods of child growth up to age 8 years in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam: Key distal household and community factors
by Schott, Whitney B. & Crookston, Benjamin T. & Lundeen, Elizabeth A. & Stein, Aryeh D. & Behrman, Jere R.
- 288-296 The critical period of infant feeding for the development of early disparities in obesity
by Thompson, Amanda L. & Bentley, Margaret E.
- 297-306 Media representations of early human development: Protecting, feeding and loving the developing brain
by O'Connor, Cliodhna & Joffe, Helene
- 307-315 Screening for developmental disabilities in developing countries
by Bornstein, Marc H. & Hendricks, Charlene
- 316-324 Estimating the critical and sensitive periods of investment in early childhood: A methodological note
by Popli, Gurleen & Gladwell, Daniel & Tsuchiya, Aki
2013, Volume 96, Issue C
- 1-8 Intelligent policy making? Key actors' perspectives on the development and implementation of an early years' initiative in Scotland's public health arena
by Deas, L. & Mattu, L. & Gnich, W.
- 9-16 Disembodied abilities: Sick role and participation in ‘activating’ return-to-work practices
by van Hal, Lineke & Meershoek, Agnes & Nijhuis, Frans & Horstman, Klasien
- 17-23 A cluster analytic examination of acculturation and health status among Asian Americans in the Washington DC metropolitan area, United States
by Lee, Sunmin & Chen, Lu & He, Xin & Miller, Matthew J. & Juon, Hee-Soon
- 24-32 Social valorisation of stoutness as a determinant of obesity in the context of nutritional transition in Cameroon: The Bamiléké case
by Cohen, E. & Boetsch, G. & Palstra, F.P. & Pasquet, P.
- 33-44 Getting doctors into the bush: General Practitioners' preferences for rural location
by Scott, Anthony & Witt, Julia & Humphreys, John & Joyce, Catherine & Kalb, Guyonne & Jeon, Sung-Hee & McGrail, Matthew
- 45-51 A test of the substitution hypothesis: An analysis of urban and rural trends in solid/liquid poisoning suicides in Taiwan
by Chen, Ying-Yeh & Kwok, Chi-Leung & Yip, Paul S.F. & Wu, Kevin Chien-Chang
- 52-59 Discretion or discretions? Delineating professional discretion: The case of English medical practice
by Cheraghi-Sohi, Sudeh & Calnan, Michael
- 60-68 A geographical perspective on access to sexual and reproductive health care for women in rural Africa
by Yao, Jing & Murray, Alan T. & Agadjanian, Victor
- 69-77 How teams use indicators for quality improvement – A multiple-case study on the use of multiple indicators in multidisciplinary breast cancer teams
by Gort, Marjan & Broekhuis, Manda & Regts, Gerdien
- 78-85 Personal identity and the role of ‘carer’ among relatives and friends of people with multiple sclerosis
by Hughes, Nic & Locock, Louise & Ziebland, Sue
- 86-94 A systematic review and meta-analysis of antecedents of blood donation behavior and intentions
by Bednall, Timothy C. & Bove, Liliana L. & Cheetham, Ali & Murray, Andrea L.
- 95-103 Biogenetic explanations and stigma: A meta-analytic review of associations among laypeople
by Kvaale, Erlend P. & Gottdiener, William H. & Haslam, Nick
- 104-111 Making information ‘relevant’: General Practitioner judgments and the production of patient involvement
by Clinch, Megan & Benson, John
- 112-120 Early supplementary feeding among central African foragers and farmers: A biocultural approach
by Meehan, Courtney L. & Roulette, Jennifer W.
- 121-128 Biomedicalization and the public sphere: Newspaper coverage of health and medicine, 1960s–2000s
by Hallin, Daniel C. & Brandt, Marisa & Briggs, Charles L.
- 129-137 The effect of physical activity on long-term income
by Hyytinen, Ari & Lahtonen, Jukka
- 138-146 Parents' and professionals' perceptions of family-centered care for children with autism spectrum disorder across service sectors
by Hodgetts, Sandra & Nicholas, David & Zwaigenbaum, Lonnie & McConnell, David
- 147-153 The evolving concept of “patient-centeredness” in patient–physician communication research
by Ishikawa, Hirono & Hashimoto, Hideki & Kiuchi, Takahiro
- 154-164 Effects of an HIV peer prevention intervention on sexual and injecting risk behaviors among injecting drug users and their risk partners in Thai Nguyen, Vietnam: A randomized controlled trial
by Go, Vivian F. & Frangakis, Constantine & Le Minh, Nguyen & Latkin, Carl A. & Ha, Tran Viet & Mo, Tran Thi & Sripaipan, Teerada & Davis, Wendy & Zelaya, Carla & Vu, Pham The & Chen, Yong & Celentano, David D. & Quan, Vu Minh
- 165-173 The impact of psychological trauma on wages in post-conflict Bosnia and Herzegovina
by Searing, Elizabeth A.M. & Rios-Avila, Fernando & Lecy, Jesse D.
- 174-182 Neighborhood cohesion and daily well-being: Results from a diary study
by Robinette, Jennifer W. & Charles, Susan T. & Mogle, Jacqueline A. & Almeida, David M.
- 183-191 Dietary inequalities of mother–child pairs in the rural Amazon: Evidence of maternal-child buffering?
by Piperata, Barbara A. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Hadley, Craig & Ritchie-Ewing, Genevieve
- 192-199 Managing misaligned paternity findings in research including sickle cell disease screening in Kenya: ‘Consulting communities’ to inform policy
by Marsh, Vicki & Kombe, Francis & Fitzpatrick, Ray & Molyneux, Sassy & Parker, Michael
- 200-207 Specificity of early movie effects on adolescent sexual behavior and alcohol use
by O'Hara, Ross E. & Gibbons, Frederick X. & Li, Zhigang & Gerrard, Meg & Sargent, James D.
- 208-213 Advancing our understanding of sibling supervision and injury risk for young children
by Morrongiello, Barbara A. & Schell, Stacey L. & Keleher, Bethany
- 216-222 Building institutions for health and health systems in contexts of rapid change
by Bloom, Gerald & Wolcott, Sara
- 223-231 Strengthening institutional and organizational capacity for social health protection of the informal sector in lesser-developed countries: A study of policy barriers and opportunities in Cambodia
by Annear, Peter Leslie & Ahmed, Shakil & Ros, Chhun Eang & Ir, Por
- 232-240 The promises and perils of hospital autonomy
by London, Jonathan D.
- 241-249 Strengthening district health service management and delivery through internal contracting: Lessons from pilot projects in Cambodia
by Khim, Keovathanak & Annear, Peter Leslie
- 250-257 Institutional design and organizational practice for universal coverage in lesser-developed countries: Challenges facing the Lao PDR
by Ahmed, Shakil & Annear, Peter Leslie & Phonvisay, Bouaphat & Phommavong, Chansaly & Cruz, Valeria de Oliveira & Hammerich, Asmus & Jacobs, Bart
- 258-263 Financial burden of household out-of pocket health expenditure in Viet Nam: Findings from the National Living Standard Survey 2002–2010
by Van Minh, Hoang & Kim Phuong, Nguyen Thi & Saksena, Priyanka & James, Chris D. & Xu, Ke
- 264-271 Social health insurance for the poor: Targeting and impact of Indonesia's Askeskin programme
by Sparrow, Robert & Suryahadi, Asep & Widyanti, Wenefrida
- 272-276 Willingness to pay for voluntary community-based health insurance: Findings from an exploratory study in the state of Penang, Malaysia
by Shafie, A.A. & Hassali, M.A.
- 277-284 Consumer choice among Mutual Healthcare Purchasers: A feasible option for China?
by Xu, Weiwei & van de Ven, Wynand P.M.M.
- 285-289 Scaling-up the medical workforce in Timor-Leste: Challenges of a great leap forward
by Cabral, Jorge & Dussault, Gilles & Buchan, James & Ferrinho, Paulo
- 290-296 Medical professionalism among clinical physicians in two tertiary hospitals, China
by Chen, Jing & Xu, Juan & Zhang, Chunmei & Fu, Xinqiao
- 297-304 Unfree markets: Socially embedded informal health providers in northern Karnataka, India
by George, Asha & Iyer, Aditi
2013, Volume 95, Issue C
- 6-15 Child health in the United States: Recent trends in racial/ethnic disparities
by Mehta, Neil K. & Lee, Hedwig & Ylitalo, Kelly R.
- 16-23 Family structure and child anemia in Mexico
by Schmeer, Kammi K.
- 24-33 Going beyond the surface: Gendered intra-household bargaining as a social determinant of child health and nutrition in low and middle income countries
by Richards, Esther & Theobald, Sally & George, Asha & Kim, Julia C. & Rudert, Christiane & Jehan, Kate & Tolhurst, Rachel
- 34-42 Perceived instrumental support and children's health across the early life course
by Turney, Kristin
- 43-51 Social networks of experientially similar others: Formation, activation, and consequences of network ties on the health care experience
by Gage, Elizabeth A.
- 52-59 Parental employment and children's body weight: Mothers, others, and mechanisms
by Ziol-Guest, Kathleen M. & Dunifon, Rachel E. & Kalil, Ariel
- 60-68 Trajectories of growth in body mass index across childhood: Associations with maternal and paternal employment
by Morrissey, Taryn W.
- 69-76 Chaos as a social determinant of child health: Reciprocal associations?
by Kamp Dush, Claire M. & Schmeer, Kammi K. & Taylor, Miles
- 77-86 Turbulent times: Effects of turbulence and violence exposure in adolescence on high school completion, health risk behavior, and mental health in young adulthood
by Boynton-Jarrett, Renée & Hair, Elizabeth & Zuckerman, Barry
- 87-96 Spatial clusters of autism births and diagnoses point to contextual drivers of increased prevalence
by Mazumdar, Soumya & Winter, Alix & Liu, Ka-Yuet & Bearman, Peter
- 97-105 Neighborhood context and racial/ethnic differences in young children's obesity: Structural barriers to interventions
by Kimbro, Rachel Tolbert & Denney, Justin T.
- 106-114 Disentangling neighborhood contextual associations with child body mass index, diet, and physical activity: The role of built, socioeconomic, and social environments
by Carroll-Scott, Amy & Gilstad-Hayden, Kathryn & Rosenthal, Lisa & Peters, Susan M. & McCaslin, Catherine & Joyce, Rebecca & Ickovics, Jeannette R.
- 115-127 A systematic review of studies examining the relationship between reported racism and health and wellbeing for children and young people
by Priest, Naomi & Paradies, Yin & Trenerry, Brigid & Truong, Mandy & Karlsen, Saffron & Kelly, Yvonne
- 128-132 Prenatal attitudes and parity predict selection into a U.S. child health program: A short report
by Martin-Anderson, Sarah
2013, Volume 94, Issue C
- 1-8 Educational differences in disability-free life expectancy: a comparative study of long-standing activity limitation in eight European countries
by Mäki, Netta & Martikainen, Pekka & Eikemo, Terje & Menvielle, Gwenn & Lundberg, Olle & Östergren, Olof & Jasilionis, Domantas & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 9-16 Social exclusion, deprivation and child health: a spatial analysis of ambulatory care sensitive conditions in children aged 0–4 years in Victoria, Australia
by Butler, Danielle C. & Thurecht, Linc & Brown, Laurie & Konings, Paul
- 17-25 Gender, family status and physician labour supply
by Wang, Chao & Sweetman, Arthur
- 26-33 Streetscape greenery and health: Stress, social cohesion and physical activity as mediators
by de Vries, Sjerp & van Dillen, Sonja M.E. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter
- 34-42 From altruism to monetisation: Australian women's ideas about money, ethics and research eggs
by Waldby, Catherine & Kerridge, Ian & Boulos, Margaret & Carroll, Katherine
- 43-55 Do slums matter? Location and early childhood preventive care choices among urban residents of Bangladesh
by Heller, Lauren R.
- 56-62 Prioritizing treatment of rare diseases: A survey of preferences of Norwegian doctors
by Desser, Arna S.
- 63-70 Interacting institutional logics in general dental practice
by Harris, Rebecca & Holt, Robin
- 71-80 Divorce and changes in the prevalence of psychotropic medication use: A register-based longitudinal study among middle-aged Finns
by Metsä-Simola, Niina & Martikainen, Pekka
- 83-90 Does social participation improve self-rated health in the older population? A quasi-experimental intervention study
by Ichida, Yukinobu & Hirai, Hiroshi & Kondo, Katsunori & Kawachi, Ichiro & Takeda, Tokunori & Endo, Hideki
- 91-97 Housing affordability and mental health: Does the relationship differ for renters and home purchasers?
by Mason, Kate E. & Baker, Emma & Blakely, Tony & Bentley, Rebecca J.
- 98-105 Signalling, status and inequities in maternal healthcare use in Punjab, Pakistan
by Mumtaz, Zubia & Levay, Adrienne & Bhatti, Afshan & Salway, Sarah
- 106-114 “And I look down and he is gone”: Narrating autism, elopement and wandering in Los Angeles
by Solomon, Olga & Lawlor, Mary C.
2013, Volume 93, Issue C
- 1-10 Women's autonomy and husbands' involvement in maternal health care in Nepal
by Thapa, Deependra Kaji & Niehof, Anke
- 11-20 Exercise, physical activity, and exertion over the business cycle
by Colman, Gregory & Dave, Dhaval
- 21-28 Assessing health system performance: A model-based approach
by Gerring, John & Thacker, Strom C. & Enikolopov, Ruben & Arévalo, Julián & Maguire, Matthew
- 29-37 Intergenerational and socioeconomic gradients of child obesity
by Costa-Font, Joan & Gil, Joan
- 38-46 Realizing good care within a context of cross-cultural diversity: An ethical guideline for healthcare organizations in Flanders, Belgium
by Denier, Yvonne & Gastmans, Chris
- 47-54 Competing and coexisting logics in the changing field of English general medical practice
by McDonald, Ruth & Cheraghi-Sohi, Sudeh & Bayes, Sara & Morriss, Richard & Kai, Joe
- 55-63 Tensions around risks in pregnancy: A typology of women's experiences of surveillance medicine
by Hammer, Raphaël P. & Burton-Jeangros, Claudine
- 64-69 Drug use among sex workers in Hungary
by Móró, Levente & Simon, Katalin & Sárosi, Péter
- 70-77 Influence of neighbourhood ethnic density, diet and physical activity on ethnic differences in weight status: A study of 214,807 adults in Australia
by Astell-Burt, Thomas & Feng, Xiaoqi & Croteau, Karen & Kolt, Gregory S.
- 78-85 Health workers' perceptions of access to care for children and pregnant women with precarious immigration status: Health as a right or a privilege?
by Vanthuyne, Karine & Meloni, Francesca & Ruiz-Casares, Monica & Rousseau, Cécile & Ricard-Guay, Alexandra
- 86-94 What matters to older people with assisted living needs? A phenomenological analysis of the use and non-use of telehealth and telecare
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Wherton, Joe & Sugarhood, Paul & Hinder, Sue & Procter, Rob & Stones, Rob
- 95-102 From laboratories to chambers of parliament and beyond: Producing bioethics in France and Romania
by Bretonnière, Sandrine
- 103-112 Health-related effects of welfare-to-work policies
by Ayala, Luis & Rodríguez, Magdalena
- 113-120 Cultural health capital and the interactional dynamics of patient-centered care
by Dubbin, Leslie A. & Chang, Jamie Suki & Shim, Janet K.
- 121-129 Rural-to-urban migrant adolescents in Guangzhou, China: Psychological health, victimization, and local and trans-local ties
by Cheung, Nicole W.T.
- 130-138 Trading off dietary choices, physical exercise and cardiovascular disease risks
by Grisolía, José M. & Longo, Alberto & Boeri, Marco & Hutchinson, George & Kee, Frank
- 139-146 Socioeconomic status, John Henryism and blood pressure among African-Americans in the Jackson Heart Study
by Subramanyam, Malavika A. & James, Sherman A. & Diez-Roux, Ana V. & Hickson, DeMarc A. & Sarpong, Daniel & Sims, Mario & Taylor, Herman A. & Wyatt, Sharon B.
- 147-154 Travel time to maternity care and its effect on utilization in rural Ghana: A multilevel analysis
by Masters, Samuel H. & Burstein, Roy & Amofah, George & Abaogye, Patrick & Kumar, Santosh & Hanlon, Michael
- 155-162 The role of under-employment and unemployment in recent birth cohort effects in Australian suicide
by Page, Andrew & Milner, Allison & Morrell, Stephen & Taylor, Richard
- 166-175 Democratization and life expectancy in Europe, 1960–2008
by Mackenbach, Johan P. & Hu, Yannan & Looman, Caspar W.N.
- 185-193 What are the components of complex interventions in healthcare? Theorizing approaches to parts, powers and the whole intervention
by Clark, Alexander M.
- 194-202 How complexity science can inform scale-up and spread in health care: Understanding the role of self-organization in variation across local contexts
by Lanham, Holly Jordan & Leykum, Luci K. & Taylor, Barbara S. & McCannon, C. Joseph & Lindberg, Curt & Lester, Richard T.
- 203-211 Innovation as emergence in healthcare: Unpacking change from within
by Essén, Anna & Lindblad, Staffan
- 212-219 Connections and consequences in complex systems: Insights from a case study of the emergence and local impact of crisis resolution and home treatment services
by Hannigan, Ben
- 220-228 Essential drugs policy in three rural counties in China: What does a complexity lens add?
by Xiao, Yue & Zhao, Kun & Bishai, David M. & Peters, David H.
- 229-237 Using complexity theory to analyse the organisational response to resurgent tuberculosis across London
by Trenholm, Susan & Ferlie, Ewan
- 238-246 Unraveling the complexities of disaster management: A framework for critical social infrastructure to promote population health and resilience
by O'Sullivan, Tracey L. & Kuziemsky, Craig E. & Toal-Sullivan, Darene & Corneil, Wayne
- 247-255 Modelling the social determinants of health and simulating short-term and long-term intervention impacts for the city of Toronto, Canada
by Mahamoud, Aziza & Roche, Brenda & Homer, Jack
2013, Volume 92, Issue C
- 1-8 Immigrant enclaves and obesity in preschool-aged children in Los Angeles County
by Nobari, Tabashir Z. & Wang, May-Choo & Chaparro, M. Pia & Crespi, Catherine M. & Koleilat, Maria & Whaley, Shannon E.
- 9-21 Conceptualising and measuring the well-being of people with psychosis: Systematic review and narrative synthesis
by Schrank, Beate & Bird, Victoria & Tylee, Andre & Coggins, Tony & Rashid, Tayyab & Slade, Mike
- 22-26 Socioeconomic differences in purchases of more vs. less healthy foods and beverages: Analysis of over 25,000 British households in 2010
by Pechey, Rachel & Jebb, Susan A. & Kelly, Michael P. & Almiron-Roig, Eva & Conde, Susana & Nakamura, Ryota & Shemilt, Ian & Suhrcke, Marc & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 27-34 AIDS treatment and mental health: Evidence from Uganda
by Okeke, Edward N. & Wagner, Glenn J.
- 35-42 Associations of occupational attributes and excessive drinking
by Barnes, Andrew J. & Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 43-52 “So they believe that if the baby is sick you must give drugs…” The importance of medicines in health-seeking behaviour for childhood illnesses in urban South Africa
by Friend-du Preez, Natalie & Cameron, Noël & Griffiths, Paula
- 53-60 Precursors to overnutrition: The effects of household market food expenditures on measures of body composition among Tsimane' adults in lowland Bolivia
by Rosinger, Asher & Tanner, Susan & Leonard, William R.
- 61-73 Health, policy and geography: Insights from a multi-level modelling approach
by Castelli, Adriana & Jacobs, Rowena & Goddard, Maria & Smith, Peter C.
- 74-82 Realising the transformative potential of healthcare partnerships: Insights from divergent literatures and contrasting cases in high- and low-income country contexts
by Aveling, Emma-Louise & Martin, Graham
- 83-91 Rethinking gender and mental health: A critical analysis of three propositions
by Hill, Terrence D. & Needham, Belinda L.
- 92-104 Estimating a WTP-based value of a QALY: The ‘chained’ approach
by Robinson, Angela & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Bacon, Philomena & Baker, Rachel & Pennington, Mark & Donaldson, Cam
- 105-113 Health consequences of the ‘Great Recession’ on the employed: Evidence from an industrial cohort in aluminum manufacturing
by Modrek, Sepideh & Cullen, Mark R.
- 114-123 Worker health is good for the economy: Union density and psychosocial safety climate as determinants of country differences in worker health and productivity in 31 European countries
by Dollard, Maureen F. & Neser, Daniel Y.
- 124-131 Accounting for fetal death: Vital statistics and the medicalization of pregnancy in the United States
by Fordyce, Lauren
2013, Volume 91, Issue C
- 1-9 Mother's social capital and child health in Indonesia
by Sujarwoto, Sujarwoto & Tampubolon, Gindo
- 10-14 How do you measure trust in the health system? A systematic review of the literature
by Ozawa, Sachiko & Sripad, Pooja
- 15-24 “Safe Going”: The influence of crime rates and perceived crime and safety on walking in deprived neighbourhoods
by Mason, Phil & Kearns, Ade & Livingston, Mark
- 25-31 Absolute and relative family affluence and psychosomatic symptoms in adolescents
by Elgar, Frank J. & De Clercq, Bart & Schnohr, Christina W. & Bird, Phillippa & Pickett, Kate E. & Torsheim, Torbjørn & Hofmann, Felix & Currie, Candace
- 32-38 Does inappropriate selectivity in information use relate to diagnostic errors and patient harm? The diagnosis of patients with dyspnea
by Zwaan, Laura & Thijs, Abel & Wagner, Cordula & Timmermans, Daniëlle R.M.
- 39-47 Perceived organizational justice as a predictor of long-term sickness absence due to diagnosed mental disorders: Results from the prospective longitudinal Finnish Public Sector Study
by Elovainio, Marko & Linna, Anne & Virtanen, Marianna & Oksanen, Tuula & Kivimäki, Mika & Pentti, Jaana & Vahtera, Jussi
- 48-57 The role of social geography on Lady Health Workers' mobility and effectiveness in Pakistan
by Mumtaz, Zubia & Salway, Sarah & Nykiforuk, Candace & Bhatti, Afshan & Ataullahjan, Anushka & Ayyalasomayajula, Bharati
- 58-66 Investigating the relationship between neighborhood poverty and mortality risk: A marginal structural modeling approach
by Do, D. Phuong & Wang, Lu & Elliott, Michael R.
- 67-75 Physical and emotional well-being and the balance of needed and received emotional support: Age differences in a daily diary study
by Wolff, Julia K. & Schmiedek, Florian & Brose, Annette & Lindenberger, Ulman
- 76-83 Criminal victimisation and health: Examining the relation in nine countries of the former Soviet Union
by Stickley, Andrew & Koyanagi, Ai & Roberts, Bayard & Rotman, David & McKee, Martin
- 84-93 A randomized controlled trial of combined exercise and psycho-education for low-SES women: Short- and long-term outcomes in the reduction of stress and depressive symptoms
by van der Waerden, Judith E.B. & Hoefnagels, Cees & Hosman, Clemens M.H. & Souren, Pierre M. & Jansen, Maria W.J.
- 94-100 The high price of debt: Household financial debt and its impact on mental and physical health
by Sweet, Elizabeth & Nandi, Arijit & Adam, Emma K. & McDade, Thomas W.
- 105-109 Using autoethnography to reclaim the ‘place of healing’ in mental health care
by Liggins, J. & Kearns, R.A. & Adams, P.J.
- 110-121 Creation of synthetic homogeneous neighbourhoods using zone design algorithms to explore relationships between asthma and deprivation in Strasbourg, France
by Sabel, C.E. & Kihal, W. & Bard, D. & Weber, C.
- 122-129 Creating ‘therapeutic landscapes’ for mental health carers in inpatient settings: A dynamic perspective on permeability and inclusivity
by Wood, Victoria J. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Gesler, Wil & Spencer, Ian H. & Close, Helen J. & Mason, James & Reilly, Joe G.
- 130-134 Is physical activity in natural environments better for mental health than physical activity in other environments?
by Mitchell, Richard
- 135-140 Woodland as working space: Where is the restorative green idyll?
by Bingley, Amanda
- 141-152 Reprint of: “I'm always entirely happy when I'm here!” Urban blue enhancing human health and well-being in Cologne and Düsseldorf, Germany
by Völker, Sebastian & Kistemann, Thomas
- 153-161 Youth, alcohol and place-based leisure behaviours: A study of two locations in England
by Townshend, Tim G.
- 162-167 The spatial and temporal development of binge drinking in England 2001–2009: An observational study
by Twigg, Liz & Moon, Graham
- 168-177 Neighbourhood deprivation and adolescent self-esteem: Exploration of the ‘socio-economic equalisation in youth’ hypothesis in Britain and Canada
by Fagg, James H. & Curtis, Sarah E. & Cummins, Steven & Stansfeld, Stephen A. & Quesnel-Vallée, Amélie
- 178-185 Seasonal and locational variations in children's play: Implications for wellbeing
by Ergler, Christina R. & Kearns, Robin A. & Witten, Karen
- 186-193 The emotional overlay: Older person and carer perspectives on negotiating aging and care in rural Ontario
by Herron, Rachel V. & Skinner, Mark W.
- 194-201 The weather-stains of care: Interpreting the meaning of bad weather for front-line health care workers in rural long-term care
by Joseph, Gillian M. & Skinner, Mark W. & Yantzi, Nicole M.
- 202-209 Entitlement to concessionary public transport and wellbeing: A qualitative study of young people and older citizens in London, UK
by Jones, Alasdair & Goodman, Anna & Roberts, Helen & Steinbach, Rebecca & Green, Judith
- 210-218 Right to a healthy city? Examining the relationship between urban space and health inequity by Aboriginal youth artist-activists in Winnipeg
by Skinner, Emily & Masuda, Jeffrey R.
- 219-228 Aboriginal urbanization and rights in Canada: Examining implications for health
by Senese, Laura C. & Wilson, Kathi
- 229-237 Defying the odds: A mixed-methods study of health resilience in deprived areas of England
by Cairns-Nagi, Joanne Marie & Bambra, Clare
- 238-245 Deprived yet healthy: Neighbourhood-level resilience in New Zealand
by Pearson, Amber L. & Pearce, Jamie & Kingham, Simon
- 246-255 Expert knowledge sourcing for public health surveillance: National tsetse mapping in Uganda
by Berrang-Ford, Lea & Garton, Kelly
2013, Volume 90, Issue C
- 1-10 Health insurance coverage within sibships: Prevalence of mixed coverage and associations with health care utilization
by Percheski, Christine & Bzostek, Sharon
- 11-23 A spatial analysis of community disadvantage and access to healthcare services in the U.S
by Archibald, Matthew E. & Putnam Rankin, Caddie
- 24-31 Socioeconomic inequalities and mental health problems in children and adolescents: A systematic review
by Reiss, Franziska
- 32-39 How healthcare provider talk with parents of children following severe traumatic brain injury is perceived in early acute care
by Roscigno, Cecelia I. & Savage, Teresa A. & Grant, Gerald & Philipsen, Gerry