Social Science & Medicine
2014, Volume 120, Issue C
- 67-75 Adolescents' health identities: A qualitative and theoretical study of health education courses
by Grabowski, D. & Rasmussen, K.K.
- 76-84 The unfinished body: The medical and social reshaping of disabled young bodies
by McLaughlin, Janice & Coleman-Fountain, Edmund
- 85-91 The narrative (re)production of prestige: How neurosurgeons teach medical students to valorise diseases
by Johannessen, Lars E.F.
- 92-99 Health benefits of religion among Black and White older adults? Race, religiosity, and C-reactive protein
by Ferraro, Kenneth F. & Kim, Seoyoun
- 100-109 Low immigrant mortality in England and Wales: A data artefact?
by Wallace, Matthew & Kulu, Hill
- 110-117 Variation in the costs of dying and the role of different health services, socio-demographic characteristics, and preceding health care expenses
by Rolden, Herbert J.A. & van Bodegom, David & Westendorp, Rudi G.J.
- 118-125 A different look at the epidemiological paradox: Self-rated health, perceived social cohesion, and neighborhood immigrant context
by Bjornstrom, Eileen E.S. & Kuhl, Danielle C.
- 126-134 No time for the gym? Housework and other non-labor market time use patterns are associated with meeting physical activity recommendations among adults in full-time, sedentary jobs
by Smith, Lindsey P. & Ng, Shu Wen & Popkin, Barry M.
- 135-141 How theory is used and articulated in qualitative research: Development of a new typology
by Bradbury-Jones, Caroline & Taylor, Julie & Herber, Oliver
- 142-152 Accessibility patterns and community integration among previously homeless adults: A Geographic Information Systems (GIS) approach
by Chan, Dara V. & Gopal, Sucharita & Helfrich, Christine A.
- 153-159 Are tuition-free primary education policies associated with lower infant and neonatal mortality in low- and middle-income countries?
by Quamruzzaman, Amm & Mendoza Rodríguez, José M. & Heymann, Jody & Kaufman, Jay S. & Nandi, Arijit
- 160-168 Eliciting community preferences for complementary micro health insurance: A discrete choice experiment in rural Malawi
by Abiiro, Gilbert Abotisem & Torbica, Aleksandra & Kwalamasa, Kassim & De Allegri, Manuela
- 169-179 Seeds of prevention: The impact on health behaviors of young adolescent girls in Uttar Pradesh, India, a cluster randomized control trial
by Kapadia-Kundu, Nandita & Storey, Douglas & Safi, Basil & Trivedi, Geetali & Tupe, Rama & Narayana, G.
- 180-189 Ethnic enclaves and gestational diabetes among immigrant women in New York City
by Janevic, T. & Borrell, L.N. & Savitz, D.A. & Echeverria, S.E. & Rundle, A.
- 190-198 Stressors and common mental disorder in informal carers – An analysis of the English Adult Psychiatric Morbidity Survey 2007
by Stansfeld, Stephen & Smuk, Melanie & Onwumere, Juliana & Clark, Charlotte & Pike, Cleo & McManus, Sally & Harris, Jenny & Bebbington, Paul
- 199-207 The impact of parental educational trajectories on their adult offspring's overweight/obesity status: A study of three generations of Swedish men and women
by Chaparro, M.P. & Koupil, Ilona
- 208-214 Doing diagnosis: Whether and how clinicians use a diagnostic tool of uncertain clinical utility
by Armstrong, Natalie & Hilton, Paul
- 215-223 Controlling parasites, understanding practices: The biosocial complexity of a One Health intervention for neglected zoonotic helminths in northern Lao PDR
by Bardosh, Kevin & Inthavong, Phouth & Xayaheuang, Sivilai & Okello, Anna L.
- 224-232 Depressive symptoms and SES among the mid-aged and elderly in China: Evidence from the China Health and Retirement Longitudinal Study national baseline
by Lei, Xiaoyan & Sun, Xiaoting & Strauss, John & Zhang, Peng & Zhao, Yaohui
- 233-242 The habitus of ‘rescue’ and its significance for implementation of rapid response systems in acute health care
by Mackintosh, Nicola & Humphrey, Charlotte & Sandall, Jane
- 243-251 Hospital admissions for severe mental illness in England: Changes in equity of utilisation at the small area level between 2006 and 2010
by White, Jonathan & Gutacker, Nils & Jacobs, Rowena & Mason, Anne
- 252-259 Seeing risk and allocating responsibility: Talk of culture and its consequences on the work of patient safety
by Szymczak, Julia E.
- 260-268 Wage differences according to health status in France
by Ben Halima, Mohamed Ali & Rococo, Emeline
- 269-277 State-level social capital and suicide mortality in the 50 U.S. states
by Smith, Nathan Daniel Lucia & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 278-285 Living with autism spectrum disorder in Hanoi, Vietnam
by Ha, Vu Song & Whittaker, Andrea & Whittaker, Maxine & Rodger, Sylvia
- 286-300 Personality disorders, alcohol use, and alcohol misuse
by Maclean, Johanna Catherine & French, Michael T.
- 301-310 Life events trajectories, allostatic load, and the moderating role of age at arrival from Puerto Rico to the US mainland
by Arévalo, Sandra P. & Tucker, Katherine L. & Falcón, Luis M.
- 317-324 Disaster medicine: Genealogy of a concept
by Stehrenberger, Cécile Stephanie & Goltermann, Svenja
- 325-333 Theorizing the relationship between NGOs and the state in medical humanitarian development projects
by Asad, Asad L. & Kay, Tamara
- 334-343 Rapid response: Email, immediacy, and medical humanitarianism in Aceh, Indonesia
by Grayman, Jesse Hession
- 344-351 Did we do good? NGOs, conflicts of interest and the evaluation of short-term medical missions in Sololá, Guatemala
by Berry, Nicole S.
- 352-359 Performing deservingness. Humanitarian health care provision for migrants in Germany
by Huschke, Susann
- 360-367 Medical humanitarianism in the United States: Alternative healthcare, spirituality and political advocacy in the case of Our Lady Guadalupe Free Clinic
by Tiedje, Kristina & Plevak, David J.
- 368-377 The epidemiology of lethal violence in Darfur: Using micro-data to explore complex patterns of ongoing armed conflict
by de Waal, Alex & Hazlett, Chad & Davenport, Christian & Kennedy, Joshua
- 378-386 On the frontline of eastern Burma's chronic conflict – Listening to the voices of local health workers
by Footer, Katherine H.A. & Meyer, Sarah & Sherman, Susan G. & Rubenstein, Leonard
- 387-395 Bounded agency in humanitarian settings: A qualitative study of adherence to antiretroviral therapy among refugees situated in Kenya and Malaysia
by Mendelsohn, Joshua B. & Rhodes, Tim & Spiegel, Paul & Schilperoord, Marian & Burton, John Wagacha & Balasundaram, Susheela & Wong, Chunting & Ross, David A.
- 396-404 Changing landscapes, changing practice: Negotiating access to sleeping sickness services in a post-conflict society
by Palmer, Jennifer J. & Kelly, Ann H. & Surur, Elizeous I. & Checchi, Francesco & Jones, Caroline
- 405-412 Camel milk, amoxicillin, and a prayer: Medical pluralism and medical humanitarian aid in the Somali Region of Ethiopia
by Carruth, Lauren
- 413-420 Everyday suffering outside prison walls: A legacy of community justice in post-genocide Rwanda
by Rutayisire, Théoneste & Richters, Annemiek
- 421-429 The military physician and contested medical humanitarianism: A dueling identity?
by Gordon, Stuart
- 430-438 The co-construction of medical humanitarianism: Analysis of personal, organizationally condoned narratives from an agency website
by Ager, Alastair & Iacovou, Melina
2014, Volume 119, Issue C
- 1-9 The social construction of ‘dowry deaths’
by Belur, Jyoti & Tilley, Nick & Daruwalla, Nayreen & Kumar, Meena & Tiwari, Vinay & Osrin, David
- 10-17 Posthumous gamete retrieval and reproduction: Would the deceased spouse consent?
by Hans, Jason D.
- 18-26 Healthcare system and the wealth–health gradient: A comparative study of older populations in six countries
by Maskileyson, Dina
- 27-35 Perceived quality of an alternative to acute hospitalization: An analytical study at a community hospital in Hallingdal, Norway
by Lappegard, Øystein & Hjortdahl, Per
- 36-44 Enrolment of older people in social health protection programs in West Africa – Does social exclusion play a part?
by Parmar, Divya & Williams, Gemma & Dkhimi, Fahdi & Ndiaye, Alfred & Asante, Felix Ankomah & Arhinful, Daniel Kojo & Mladovsky, Philipa
- 45-52 All gates lead to smoking: The ‘gateway theory’, e-cigarettes and the remaking of nicotine
by Bell, Kirsten & Keane, Helen
- 53-63 Nativity, duration of residence and chronic health conditions in Australia: Do trends converge towards the native-born population?
by Jatrana, Santosh & Pasupuleti, Samba Siva Rao & Richardson, Ken
- 64-73 Assessing patterns of spatial behavior in health studies: Their socio-demographic determinants and associations with transportation modes (the RECORD Cohort Study)
by Perchoux, Camille & Kestens, Yan & Thomas, Frédérique & Hulst, Andraea Van & Thierry, Benoit & Chaix, Basile
- 74-80 Dispensing emotions: Norwegian community nurses' handling of diversity in a changing organizational context
by Debesay, Jonas & Harsløf, Ivan & Rechel, Bernd & Vike, Halvard
- 81-87 Social capital and adolescent smoking in schools and communities: A cross-classified multilevel analysis
by De Clercq, Bart & Pfoertner, Timo-Kolja & Elgar, Frank J. & Hublet, Anne & Maes, Lea
- 88-97 Bucking social norms: Examining anomalous fertility aspirations in the face of HIV in Lusaka, Zambia
by Moore, Ann M. & Keogh, Sarah & Kavanaugh, Megan & Bankole, Akinrinola & Mulambia, Chishimba & Mutombo, Namuunda
- 98-105 What must I do to succeed?: Narratives from the US premedical experience
by Lin, Katherine Y. & Anspach, Renee R. & Crawford, Brett & Parnami, Sonali & Fuhrel-Forbis, Andrea & De Vries, Raymond G.
- 106-113 ‘We call it a virus but I want to say it's the devil inside’: Redemption, moral reform and relationships with God among people living with HIV in Papua New Guinea
by Kelly-Hanku, Angela & Aggleton, Peter & Shih, Patti
- 114-122 “Don't eat that, you'll get fat!” Exploring how parents and children conceptualise and frame messages about the causes and consequences of obesity
by Thomas, Samantha L. & Olds, Timothy & Pettigrew, Simone & Randle, Melanie & Lewis, Sophie
- 123-130 Symptomization and triggering processes: Ovarian cancer patients' narratives on pre-diagnostic sensation experiences and the initiation of healthcare seeking
by Brandner, Susanne & Müller-Nordhorn, Jacqueline & Stritter, Wiebke & Fotopoulou, Christina & Sehouli, Jalid & Holmberg, Christine
- 131-138 Re-conceptualising holism in the contemporary nursing mandate: From individual to organisational relationships
by Allen, Davina
- 139-146 The effect of social support on the health of Indigenous Australians in a metropolitan community
by Waterworth, Pippa & Rosenberg, Michael & Braham, Rebecca & Pescud, Melanie & Dimmock, James
- 147-154 Social capital, collective action and access to water in rural Kenya
by Bisung, Elijah & Elliott, Susan J. & Schuster-Wallace, Corinne J. & Karanja, Diana M. & Bernard, Abudho
- 155-169 The psychological toll of slum living in Mumbai, India: A mixed methods study
by Subbaraman, Ramnath & Nolan, Laura & Shitole, Tejal & Sawant, Kiran & Shitole, Shrutika & Sood, Kunal & Nanarkar, Mahesh & Ghannam, Jess & Betancourt, Theresa S. & Bloom, David E. & Patil-Deshmukh, Anita
- 170-174 Lower prevalence of psychiatric conditions when negative age stereotypes are resisted
by Levy, Becca R. & Pilver, Corey E. & Pietrzak, Robert H.
- 180-190 Survival of offspring who experience early parental death: Early life conditions and later-life mortality
by Smith, Ken R. & Hanson, Heidi A. & Norton, Maria C. & Hollingshaus, Michael S. & Mineau, Geraldine P.
- 191-197 Ambient temperature during gestation and cold-related adult mortality in a Swedish cohort, 1915–2002
by Bruckner, Tim A. & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Smith, Kirk R. & Catalano, Ralph A.
- 198-206 Socioeconomic status across the life course and all-cause and cause-specific mortality in Finland
by Elo, Irma T. & Martikainen, Pekka & Myrskylä, Mikko
- 207-214 Direct and indirect effects of childhood conditions on survival and health among male and female elderly in China
by Shen, Ke & Zeng, Yi
- 215-223 The association between advanced maternal and paternal ages and increased adult mortality is explained by early parental loss
by Myrskylä, Mikko & Elo, Irma T. & Kohler, Iliana V. & Martikainen, Pekka
- 224-231 Early life conditions and long-term sickness absence during adulthood – A longitudinal study of 9000 siblings in Sweden
by Helgertz, Jonas & Persson, Mats R.
- 232-239 Independent and additive association of prenatal famine exposure and intermediary life conditions with adult mortality between age 18–63 years
by Ekamper, P. & van Poppel, F. & Stein, A.D. & Lumey, L.H.
- 240-248 Can individual conditions during childhood mediate or moderate the long-term cognitive effects of poor economic environments at birth?
by Fritze, Thomas & Doblhammer, Gabriele & van den Berg, Gerard J.
- 249-257 Small for gestational age and adulthood risk of disability pension: The contribution of childhood and adulthood conditions
by Helgertz, Jonas & Vågerö, Denny
- 258-265 Lifelong Socio Economic Position and biomarkers of later life health: Testing the contribution of competing hypotheses
by Ploubidis, George B. & Benova, Lenka & Grundy, Emily & Laydon, Daniel & DeStavola, Bianca
- 266-273 Early life effects across the life course: The impact of individually defined exogenous measures of disease exposure on mortality by sex in 19th- and 20th-century Southern Sweden
by Quaranta, Luciana
- 274-283 Kinship matters: Long-term mortality consequences of childhood migration, historical evidence from northeast China, 1792–1909
by Dong, Hao & Lee, James Z.
- 284-291 Intergenerational health consequences of in utero exposure to maternal stress: Evidence from the 1980 Kwangju uprising
by Lee, Chulhee
2014, Volume 118, Issue C
- 1-8 Mental health in the foreclosure crisis
by Houle, Jason N.
- 9-16 Patients' diagnosis decisions in Alzheimer's disease: The influence of family factors
by Rapp, Thomas
- 17-26 Displays of authority in the clinical consultation: A linguistic ethnographic study of the electronic patient record
by Swinglehurst, Deborah
- 27-32 Evidence of accelerated aging among African Americans and its implications for mortality
by Levine, M.E. & Crimmins, E.M.
- 33-42 Acceptability and feasibility of using non-specialist health workers to deliver mental health care: Stakeholder perceptions from the PRIME district sites in Ethiopia, India, Nepal, South Africa, and Uganda
by Mendenhall, Emily & De Silva, Mary J. & Hanlon, Charlotte & Petersen, Inge & Shidhaye, Rahul & Jordans, Mark & Luitel, Nagendra & Ssebunnya, Joshua & Fekadu, Abebaw & Patel, Vikram & Tomlinson, Mark & Lund, Crick
- 43-51 The effect of in-office waiting time on physician visit frequency among working-age adults
by Tak, Hyo Jung & Hougham, Gavin W. & Ruhnke, Atsuko & Ruhnke, Gregory W.
- 52-60 Are social organizational factors independently associated with a current bacterial sexually transmitted infection among urban adolescents and young adults?
by Jennings, Jacky M. & Hensel, Devon J. & Tanner, Amanda E. & Reilly, Meredith L. & Ellen, Jonathan M.
- 61-65 A short report on knowledge exchange through research-based theatre: ‘Inside out of mind’
by Schneider, Justine & Lowe, Stephen & Myers, Tanya & Scales, Kezia & Bailey, Simon & Middleton, Joanne
- 66-70 Prenatal investments, breastfeeding, and birth order
by Buckles, Kasey & Kolka, Shawna
- 71-79 Racial/ethnic disparities in short sleep duration by occupation: The contribution of immigrant status
by Jackson, Chandra L. & Hu, Frank B. & Redline, Susan & Williams, David R. & Mattei, Josiemer & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 80-88 Is religion the forgotten variable in maternal and child health? Evidence from Zimbabwe
by Ha, Wei & Salama, Peter & Gwavuya, Stanley & Kanjala, Chifundo
- 89-96 The association between grandparenthood and mortality
by Christiansen, Solveig Glestad
- 97-107 The general and mental health of movers to more- and less-disadvantaged socio-economic and physical environments within the UK
by Tunstall, Helena & Mitchell, Richard & Pearce, Jamie & Shortt, Niamh
- 108-118 How does mental–physical multimorbidity express itself in lived time and space? A phenomenological analysis of encounters with depression and chronic physical illness
by Coventry, Peter A. & Dickens, Chris & Todd, Chris
- 119-126 Fragile health and fragile wealth: Mortgage strain among African American homeowners
by Keene, Danya E. & Lynch, Julia F. & Baker, Amy Castro
- 127-134 Modeling satisfaction amongst the elderly in different Chinese urban neighborhoods
by Yan, Bingqiu & Gao, Xiaolu & Lyon, Michael
- 135-142 Predictors of suicides occurring within suicide clusters in Australia, 2004–2008
by Derek Cheung, Yee Tak & Spittal, Matthew J. & Williamson, Michelle Kate & Tung, Sui Jay & Pirkis, Jane
- 143-151 Social status and biological dysregulation: The “status syndrome” and allostatic load
by Seeman, Melvin & Stein Merkin, Sharon & Karlamangla, Arun & Koretz, Brandon & Seeman, Teresa
- 152-158 Stigma and the perpetuation of obesity
by Brewis, Alexandra A.
- 159-165 Colonization of later life? Laypersons' and users' agency regarding anti-aging medicine in Germany
by Schweda, Mark & Pfaller, Larissa
- 166-172 The association between psychosocial stress and mortality is mediated by lifestyle and chronic diseases: The Hoorn Study
by Rutters, Femke & Pilz, Stefan & Koopman, Anitra D. & Rauh, Simone P. & Te Velde, Saskia J. & Stehouwer, Coen D. & Elders, Petra J. & Nijpels, Giel & Dekker, Jacqueline M.
- 173-180 Dependency denied: Health inequalities in the neo-liberal era
by Peacock, Marian & Bissell, Paul & Owen, Jenny
- 182-190 Are the educational differences in incidence of cardiovascular disease explained by underlying familial factors? A twin study
by Madsen, Mia & Andersen, Per K. & Gerster, Mette & Andersen, Anne-Marie N. & Christensen, Kaare & Osler, Merete
2014, Volume 117, Issue C
- 1-9 Is self-rated health a stable and predictive factor for allostatic load in early adulthood? Findings from the Nord Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT)
by Vie, Tina Løkke & Hufthammer, Karl Ove & Holmen, Turid Lingaas & Meland, Eivind & Breidablik, Hans Johan
- 10-17 Do welfare regimes influence the association between disability and self-perceived health? A multilevel analysis of 57 countries
by Foubert, Josephine & Levecque, Katia & Van Rossem, Ronan & Romagnoli, Alessia
- 18-24 Dream vs. reality: Seven case-studies on the desirability and feasibility of cross-border hospital collaboration in Europe
by Glinos, Irene A. & Baeten, Rita
- 25-33 The influence of gender equality policies on gender inequalities in health in Europe
by Palència, Laia & Malmusi, Davide & De Moortel, Deborah & Artazcoz, Lucía & Backhans, Mona & Vanroelen, Christophe & Borrell, Carme
- 34-41 Exploring socio-cultural factors that mediate, facilitate, & constrain the health and empowerment of refugee youth
by Edge, Sara & Newbold, K. Bruce & McKeary, Marie
- 42-49 The politics of tuberculosis and HIV service integration in Ghana
by Amo-Adjei, Joshua & Kumi-Kyereme, Akwasi & Fosuah Amo, Hannah & Awusabo-Asare, Kofi
- 50-57 The social life of health records: Understanding families' experiences of autism
by Angell, Amber M. & Solomon, Olga
- 58-66 No association found between cardiovascular mortality, and job demands and decision latitude: Experience from the Västerbotten Intervention Programme in Sweden
by Padyab, Mojgan & Blomstedt, Yulia & Norberg, Margareta
- 67-75 Results from using a new dyadic-dependence model to analyze sociocentric physician networks
by Paul, Sudeshna & Keating, Nancy L. & Landon, Bruce E. & O'Malley, A. James
- 76-85 Suicide and the 2008 economic recession: Who is most at risk? Trends in suicide rates in England and Wales 2001–2011
by Coope, Caroline & Gunnell, David & Hollingworth, William & Hawton, Keith & Kapur, Nav & Fearn, Vanessa & Wells, Claudia & Metcalfe, Chris
- 86-95 Linking governance mechanisms to health outcomes: A review of the literature in low- and middle-income countries
by Ciccone, Dana Karen & Vian, Taryn & Maurer, Lydia & Bradley, Elizabeth H.
- 96-106 ‘It is hard for mums to put themselves first’: How mothers diagnosed with breast cancer manage the sociological boundaries between paid work, family and caring for the self
by Mackenzie, Catherine Ruth
- 107-115 Negotiating jurisdiction in the workplace: A multiple-case study of nurse prescribing in hospital settings
by Kroezen, M. & Mistiaen, P. & van Dijk, L. & Groenewegen, P.P. & Francke, A.L.
- 116-124 Social recovery and the move beyond deficit models of depression: A feminist analysis of mid-life women's self-care practices
by Fullagar, Simone & O'Brien, Wendy
- 125-133 Understanding the adoption dynamics of medical innovations: Affordances of the da Vinci robot in the Netherlands
by Abrishami, Payam & Boer, Albert & Horstman, Klasien
- 134-141 Health system reform in rural China: Voices of healthworkers and service-users
by Zhou, Xu Dong & Li, Lu & Hesketh, Therese
- 142-149 Assessing the potential impact of increased participation in higher education on mortality: Evidence from 21 European populations
by Kulhánová, Ivana & Hoffmann, Rasmus & Judge, Ken & Looman, Caspar W.N. & Eikemo, Terje A. & Bopp, Matthias & Deboosere, Patrick & Leinsalu, Mall & Martikainen, Pekka & Rychtaříková, Jitka & Wojtyniak, Bogdan & Menvielle, Gwenn & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 150-159 The inter-section of political history and health policy in Asia – The historical foundations for health policy analysis
by Grundy, John & Hoban, Elizabeth & Allender, Steve & Annear, Peter
2014, Volume 116, Issue C
- 1-9 Neighborhood context and immigrant children's physical activity
by Brewer, Mackenzie & Kimbro, Rachel Tolbert
- 10-21 How community environment shapes physical activity: Perceptions revealed through the PhotoVoice method
by Belon, Ana Paula & Nieuwendyk, Laura M. & Vallianatos, Helen & Nykiforuk, Candace I.J.
- 22-31 Suicide and the Great Recession of 2007–2009: The role of economic factors in the 50 U.S. states
by Phillips, Julie A. & Nugent, Colleen N.
- 32-40 Consultancy research as a barrier to strengthening social science research capacity in Uganda
by Wight, Daniel & Ahikire, Josephine & Kwesiga, Joy C.
- 41-48 The psychiatric report as moral tool: A case study in a French district court
by Fernandez, Fabrice & Lézé, Samuel
- 49-55 The relationship between parenting, family interaction and childhood dental caries: A case-control study
by de Jong-Lenters, M. & Duijster, D. & Bruist, M.A. & Thijssen, J. & de Ruiter, C.
- 56-63 How might healthcare systems influence speed of cancer diagnosis: A narrative review
by Brown, Sally & Castelli, Michele & Hunter, David J. & Erskine, Jonathan & Vedsted, Peter & Foot, Catherine & Rubin, Greg
- 64-72 Cohort differences in the marriage–health relationship for midlife women
by Newton, Nicky J. & Ryan, Lindsay H. & King, Rachel T. & Smith, Jacqui
- 73-81 The two cultures of health worker migration: A Pacific perspective
by Connell, John
- 82-92 Contribution of streetscape audits to explanation of physical activity in four age groups based on the Microscale Audit of Pedestrian Streetscapes (MAPS)
by Cain, Kelli L. & Millstein, Rachel A. & Sallis, James F. & Conway, Terry L. & Gavand, Kavita A. & Frank, Lawrence D. & Saelens, Brian E. & Geremia, Carrie M. & Chapman, James & Adams, Marc A. & Glanz, Karen & King, Abby C.
- 93-101 Assessing young people's perceptions of HIV risks in Nyanza, Kenya: Are school and community level factors relevant?
by Tenkorang, Eric Y. & Maticka-Tyndale, Eleanor
- 102-109 The caregiving bind: Concealing the demands of informal care can undermine the caregiving identity
by Moore, Helen & Gillespie, Alex
- 110-118 At the intersection of sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, and cervical cancer screening: Assessing Pap test use disparities by sex of sexual partners among black, Latina, and white U.S. women
by Agénor, Madina & Krieger, Nancy & Austin, S. Bryn & Haneuse, Sebastien & Gottlieb, Barbara R.
- 119-125 “It's better for me to drink, at least the stress is going away”: Perspectives on alcohol use during pregnancy among South African women attending drinking establishments
by Watt, Melissa H. & Eaton, Lisa A. & Choi, Karmel W. & Velloza, Jennifer & Kalichman, Seth C. & Skinner, Donald & Sikkema, Kathleen J.
- 126-133 Conceptualising time before surgery: The experience of patients waiting for hip replacement
by Johnson, Emma C. & Horwood, Jeremy & Gooberman-Hill, Rachael
- 134-141 A diagnostic illusory? The case of distinguishing between “vegetative” and “minimally conscious” states
by Nettleton, Sarah & Kitzinger, Jenny & Kitzinger, Celia
- 142-149 Adults with autism in India: A mixed-method approach to make meaning of daily routines
by Daley, Tamara C. & Weisner, Thomas & Singhal, Nidhi
- 150-160 An empirical analysis of White privilege, social position and health
by Kwate, Naa Oyo A. & Goodman, Melody S.
- 161-168 Investigating the influence of African American and African Caribbean race on primary care doctors' decision making about depression
by Adams, A. & Vail, L. & Buckingham, C.D. & Kidd, J. & Weich, S. & Roter, D.
- 169-177 HIV prevention and marriage: Peer group effects on condom use acceptability in rural Kenya
by Cordero Coma, Julia
- 178-186 Counselee participation in follow-up breast cancer genetic counselling visits and associations with achievement of the preferred role, cognitive outcomes, risk perception alignment and perceived personal control
by Albada, Akke & Ausems, Margreet G.E.M. & van Dulmen, Sandra
- 187-192 The convergent validity of three surveys as alternative sources of health information to the 2011 UK census
by Taylor, Joanna & Twigg, Liz & Moon, Graham
- 193-201 Willingness to pay for publicly financed health care services in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence from six countries based on a contingent valuation method
by Tambor, Marzena & Pavlova, Milena & Rechel, Bernd & Golinowska, Stanisława & Sowada, Christoph & Groot, Wim
- 202-210 Poverty and transitions in health in later life
by Adena, Maja & Myck, Michal
- 211-219 Can counter-advertising reduce pre-adolescent children's susceptibility to front-of-package promotions on unhealthy foods?: Experimental research
by Dixon, Helen & Scully, Maree & Kelly, Bridget & Chapman, Kathy & Wakefield, Melanie
- 225-234 Questions of trust in health research on social capital: What aspects of personal network social capital do they measure?
by Carpiano, Richard M. & Fitterer, Lisa M.
- 241-250 The color of health: Skin color, ethnoracial classification, and discrimination in the health of Latin Americans
by Perreira, Krista M. & Telles, Edward E.
2014, Volume 114, Issue C
- 1-9 Determining and broadening the definition of impact from implementing a rational priority setting approach in a healthcare organization
by Cornelissen, Evelyn & Mitton, Craig & Davidson, Alan & Reid, Colin & Hole, Rachelle & Visockas, Anne-Marie & Smith, Neale
- 10-17 The effect of age and time to death on primary care costs: The Italian experience
by Atella, Vincenzo & Conti, Valentina
- 18-25 How religious status shapes psychological well-being: Cultural consonance as a measure of subcultural status among Brazilian Pentecostals
by François Dengah, H.J.
- 26-37 Discussing race-related limitations of genomic testing for colon cancer risk: Implications for education and counseling
by Butrick, Morgan N. & Vanhusen, Lauren & Leventhal, Kara-Grace & Hooker, Gillian W. & Nusbaum, Rachel & Peshkin, Beth N. & Salehizadeh, Yasmin & Pavlick, Jessica & Schwartz, Marc D. & Graves, Kristi D.
- 38-48 Testing a discrete choice experiment including duration to value health states for large descriptive systems: Addressing design and sampling issues
by Bansback, Nick & Hole, Arne Risa & Mulhern, Brendan & Tsuchiya, Aki
- 49-56 Narratives of continuity among older people with late stage chronic kidney disease who decline dialysis
by Llewellyn, Henry & Low, Joe & Smith, Glenn & Hopkins, Katherine & Burns, Aine & Jones, Louise
- 57-65 Patient and provider perspectives on quality and health system effectiveness in a transition economy: Evidence from Ukraine
by Luck, J. & Peabody, J.W. & DeMaria, L.M. & Alvarado, C.S. & Menon, R.
- 66-72 “There's a higher power, but He gave us a free will”: Socioeconomic status and the intersection of agency and fatalism in infertility
by Bell, Ann V. & Hetterly, Elizabeth
- 73-80 Exploring lay views on physical activity and their implications for public health policy. A case study from East Belfast
by Prior, L. & Scott, D. & Hunter, R. & Donnelly, M. & Tully, M.A. & Cupples, M.E. & Kee, F.
- 81-88 Intra-professional dynamics in translational health research: The perspective of social scientists
by Currie, Graeme & El Enany, Nellie & Lockett, Andy
- 89-96 Costs and consequences of a cash transfer for hospital births in a rural district of Uttar Pradesh, India
by Coffey, Diane
- 97-102 Women's land ownership and risk of HIV infection in Kenya
by Muchomba, Felix M. & Wang, Julia Shu-Huah & Agosta, Laura Maria
- 103-112 Evaluating return on investment in a school based health promotion and prevention program: The investment multiplier for the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden National Program
by Eckermann, Simon & Dawber, James & Yeatman, Heather & Quinsey, Karen & Morris, Darcy
- 113-120 Uneasy subjects: Medical students' conflicts over the pharmaceutical industry
by Holloway, Kelly
- 121-128 Understanding resilience in armed conflict: Social resources and mental health of children in Burundi
by Hall, Brian J. & Tol, Wietse A. & Jordans, Mark J.D. & Bass, Judith & de Jong, Joop T.V.M.
- 129-137 Do reviews of healthcare interventions teach us how to improve healthcare systems?
by Pawson, Ray & Greenhalgh, Joanne & Brennan, Cathy & Glidewell, Elizabeth
- 138-150 Understanding the formation and influence of attitudes in patients' treatment choices for lower back pain: Testing the benefits of a hybrid choice model approach
by Kløjgaard, Mirja Elisabeth & Hess, Stephane
- 151-160 A changing epidemiology of suicide? The influence of birth cohorts on suicide rates in the United States
by Phillips, Julie A.
- 161-168 Why do some countries spend more for health? An assessment of sociopolitical determinants and international aid for government health expenditures
by Liang, Li-Lin & Mirelman, Andrew J.
- 169-177 The influence of women's empowerment on maternal health care utilization: Evidence from Albania
by Sado, Lantona & Spaho, Alma & Hotchkiss, David R.
- 178-187 The relationship between happiness and health: Evidence from Italy
by Sabatini, Fabio
- 188-196 Whose social capital matters? The case of U.S. urban public hospital closures and conversions to private ownership
by Ko, Michelle & Derose, Kathryn Pitkin & Needleman, Jack & Ponce, Ninez A.
2014, Volume 113, Issue C
- 1-4 Health worker performance in rural health organizations in low- and middle-income countries: Do organizational factors predict non-task performance?
by Jayasuriya, Rohan & Jayasinghe, Upali W. & Wang, Qian
- 5-14 Valuing QALYs at the end of life
by Pinto-Prades, Jose-Luis & Sánchez-Martínez, Fernando-Ignacio & Corbacho, Belen & Baker, Rachel
- 15-22 Unemployment and mortality: Evidence from the PSID
by Halliday, Timothy J.
- 23-33 The influence of work-family conflict trajectories on self-rated health trajectories in Switzerland: A life course approach
by Cullati, Stéphane
- 34-41 Methods of legitimation: How ethics committees decide which reasons count in public policy decision-making
by Edwards, Kyle T.
- 42-49 Distributional effects of Oportunidades on early child development
by Figueroa, José Luis
- 50-58 Active travel intervention and physical activity behaviour: An evaluation
by Norwood, Patricia & Eberth, Barbara & Farrar, Shelley & Anable, Jillian & Ludbrook, Anne
- 59-67 Does poverty reduce mental health? An instrumental variable analysis
by Hanandita, Wulung & Tampubolon, Gindo
- 68-76 A person-centred segmentation study in elderly care: Towards efficient demand-driven care
by Eissens van der Laan, M.R. & van Offenbeek, M.A.G. & Broekhuis, H. & Slaets, J.P.J.
- 77-86 The ‘gender puzzle’ of alternative medicine and holistic spirituality: A literature review
by Keshet, Yael & Simchai, Dalit
- 87-94 Assessing the responsiveness of chronic disease care - Is the World Health Organization's concept of health system responsiveness applicable?
by Röttger, Julia & Blümel, Miriam & Fuchs, Sabine & Busse, Reinhard
- 95-103 Examining the association between social health insurance participation and patients' out-of-pocket payments in China: The role of institutional arrangement
by Liu, Kai & Wu, Qiaobing & Liu, Junqiang
- 104-109 Public acceptability of population-level interventions to reduce alcohol consumption: A discrete choice experiment
by Pechey, Rachel & Burge, Peter & Mentzakis, Emmanouil & Suhrcke, Marc & Marteau, Theresa M.
- 110-119 Are public–private partnerships a healthy option? A systematic literature review
by Roehrich, Jens K. & Lewis, Michael A. & George, Gerard
- 120-136 How potentially serious symptom changes are talked about and managed in COPD clinical review consultations: A micro-analysis
by Chatwin, John & Kennedy, Anne & Firth, Adam & Povey, Andrew & Rogers, Anne & Sanders, Caroline
- 137-144 The impact of housing displacement on the mental health of low-income parents after Hurricane Katrina
by Fussell, Elizabeth & Lowe, Sarah R.
- 145-153 A peer adherence support intervention to improve the antiretroviral treatment outcomes of HIV patients in South Africa: The moderating role of family dynamics
by Wouters, Edwin & Masquillier, Caroline & Ponnet, Koen & le Roux Booysen, Frederik
- 154-160 Cross-country variation in the sociodemographic factors associated with major depressive episode in Norway, the United Kingdom, Ghana, and Kenya
by Ambugo, Eliva A.
- 161-168 They are not always a burden: Older people and child fostering in Uganda during the HIV epidemic
by Kasedde, Susan & Doyle, Aoife M. & Seeley, Janet A. & Ross, David A.
- 169-176 Codifying knowledge to improve patient safety: A qualitative study of practice-based interventions
by Turner, Simon & Higginson, Juliet & Oborne, C. Alice & Thomas, Rebecca E. & Ramsay, Angus I.G. & Fulop, Naomi J.
2014, Volume 112, Issue C
- 1-11 Attitudes to vaccination: A critical review
by Yaqub, Ohid & Castle-Clarke, Sophie & Sevdalis, Nick & Chataway, Joanna
- 12-21 Social class differences in BMI among Danish women: Applying Cockerham's health lifestyles approach and Bourdieu's theory of lifestyle
by Christensen, Vibeke T. & Carpiano, Richard M.
- 22-29 Social class and body weight among Chinese urban adults: The role of the middle classes in the nutrition transition
by Bonnefond, Céline & Clément, Matthieu
- 30-38 Impacts of Child Development Accounts on maternal depressive symptoms: Evidence from a randomized statewide policy experiment
by Huang, Jin & Sherraden, Michael & Purnell, Jason Q.
- 39-50 The impact of fiscal austerity on suicide: On the empirics of a modern Greek tragedy
by Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Collins, Alan
- 51-62 Reassembling epidemiology: Mapping, monitoring and making-up people in the context of HIV prevention in India
by Lorway, Robert & Khan, Shamshad
- 63-71 Welfare states and population health: The role of minimum income benefits for mortality
by Nelson, Kenneth & Fritzell, Johan
- 72-79 Working time and cigarette smoking: Evidence from Australia and the United Kingdom
by Angrave, David & Charlwood, Andy & Wooden, Mark
- 80-87 Do school-based physical activity interventions increase or reduce inequalities in health?
by Vander Ploeg, Kerry A. & Maximova, Katerina & McGavock, Jonathan & Davis, Wendy & Veugelers, Paul
2014, Volume 111, Issue C
- 1-9 The effects of socioeconomic incongruity in the neighbourhood on social support, self-esteem and mental health in England
by Albor, C. & Uphoff, E.P. & Stafford, M. & Ballas, D. & Wilkinson, R.G. & Pickett, K.E.
- 10-16 Payment reform and changes in health care in China
by Gao, Chen & Xu, Fei & Liu, Gordon G.
- 17-24 Prenatal smoking and genetic risk: Examining the childhood origins of externalizing behavioral problems
by Petkovsek, Melissa A. & Boutwell, Brian B. & Beaver, Kevin M. & Barnes, J.C.
- 25-34 The geography of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A population-based study of Norway
by Halvorsen, Thomas & Martinussen, Pål E.
- 35-40 Does desire for hastened death change in terminally ill cancer patients?
by Rosenfeld, Barry & Pessin, Hayley & Marziliano, Allison & Jacobson, Colleen & Sorger, Brooke & Abbey, Jennifer & Olden, Megan & Brescia, Robert & Breitbart, William
- 41-49 The spillover effect of National Health Insurance on household consumption patterns: Evidence from a natural experiment in Taiwan
by Sheu, Ji-Tian & Lu, Jui-fen Rachel
- 50-57 Gold mining on Mayan-Mam territory: Social unravelling, discord and distress in the Western highlands of Guatemala
by Caxaj, C. Susana & Berman, Helene & Varcoe, Colleen & Ray, Susan L. & Restoulec, Jean-Paul