1982, Volume 10, Issue 12
1982, Volume 10, Issue 11
- 913-948 Small industry in developing countries: A discussion of issues
by Anderson, Dennis
- 949-972 Industrial strategy for late starters: The experience of Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia
by Gulhati, Ravi & Sekhar, Uday
- 973-990 Economic development and rural industry in South Korea and Taiwan
by Ho, Samuel P. S.
- 991-1014 Learning and the capital goods sector under free trade: The case of Hongkong
by Fransman, Martin
- 1015-1023 State enterprises in a competitive industry: An Indonesian case study
by Hill, Hal
1982, Volume 10, Issue 10
- 841-856 Trade developments during the first Lome Convention
by Moss, Joanna & Ravenhill, John
- 857-862 Trade effects of European Community preferences to Mediterranean countries: The case of textile and clothing imports
by Pomfret, Richard
- 863-869 Development assistance: Trade versus aid and the relative performance of industrial countries
by Yeats, Alexander J.
- 871-884 The monetarist explanation of inflation: The experience of six Asian countries
by Saini, Krishan G.
- 885-898 A systems model of rural development
by Lakshmanan, T. R.
- 899-909 Landsat: A tool for development
by Haack, Barry N.
- 911-911 Money and Monetary Policy in less developed countries: A survey of issues and evidence : edited by Warren L. Coates Jr. and Deena R. Khatkhate (Pergamon Press, 1980), xiv + 827 pp., $95.00 hardback, $20.00 paperback
by Streeten, Paul
1982, Volume 10, Issue 9
- 689-694 National and international aspects of financial policies in LDCs: A prologue
by Khatkhate, Deena
- 695-700 On the characterization of good economic policy: Is there a consensus?
by Williamson, John
- 701-708 Stabilization policies in developing countries: What have we learned?
by Dornbusch, Rudiger
- 709-730 Some theoretical and empirical issues relating to economic stabilization in developing countries
by Khan, Mohsin S. & Knight, Malcolm D.
- 731-750 Models of financially repressed developing economies
by Fry, Maxwell J.
- 751-765 An eclectic model of recent LDC macroeconomic policy analyses
by Porter, Richard C. & Ranney, Susan I.
- 767-780 Observations on the conditionality of international financial institutions
by Eckaus, Richard S.
- 781-789 Inflation, interest rate policy, and currency substitutions in developing economies: A discussion of some major issues
by Tanzi, Vito & Blejer, Mario I.
- 791-800 Prices, output and the trade balance in Iran
by Aghevli, Bijan B. & Sassanpour, Cyrus
- 801-811 The Argentine stabilization plan of December 20th
by Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo
- 813-827 Inflation, interest rates, and the balance of payments during a financial reform: The case of Argentina
by Mathieson, Donald J.
- 829-840 Anatomy of financial retardation in a less developed country: The case of Sri Lanka, 1951-1976
by Khatkhate, Deena
1982, Volume 10, Issue 8
- 597-612 Stabilization: The political economy of overkill
by Dell, Sidney
- 613-632 Urban employment and labour allocation policies in post-Mao China
by White, Gordon
- 633-649 Rapid reconnaissance for development administration: Mapping and moulding organizational landscapes
by Honadle, George
- 651-668 Policy evaluation and meta-evaluation: The case of rural co-operatives
by Apthorpe, Raymond & Gasper, Desmond
- 669-676 Traditional fuel usage and the rural poor in Bangladesh
by Douglas, J. J.
- 677-687 Underdevelopment and the economics of corruption: A game theory approach
by Macrae, John
1982, Volume 10, Issue 7
- 523-529 The structuralist explanation in the theory of inflation
by Canavese, Alfredo J.
- 531-539 Inflation in a newly industrialized country: The case of Korea
by Chung, Jae Wan
- 541-560 Managing resource dependency: The United States and Japan in the markets for copper, iron ore and bauxite
by Rodrik, Dani
- 561-571 Mining enclaves and taxation
by Emerson, Craig
- 573-584 Community participation for health: The case of Latin America
by De Kadt, Emanuel
- 585-595 Vertical linkages and multinational enterprises in developing countries
by Lim, Linda Y. C. & Fong, Pang Eng
1982, Volume 10, Issue 6
- 429-450 Growth constraints on small-scale manufacturing in developing countries: a critical review
by Schmitz, Hubert
- 451-465 Developments in social accounting methods as applied to the analysis of income distribution and employment issues
by Hayden, Carol & Round, Jefferey I.
- 467-473 Structural determinants of government budget deficits in developing countries
by Morrison, Thomas K.
- 475-488 Price control techniques in poor countries: the Tanzanian case
by Whitworth, Alan
- 489-499 Sector priorities in meeting basic needs: some statistical evidence
by Hicks, Norman L.
- 501-512 Mexico's development strategy for the 1980s
by Hardy, Chandra
- 513-521 The changing remittance behaviour of United States manufacturing firms in Latin America
by Chudnovsky, Daniel
1982, Volume 10, Issue 5
- 341-353 Agriculture on the steep slopes of tropical America: Current situation and prospects for the year 2000
by Posner, Joshua L. & McPherson, Malcolm F.
- 355-375 Structural change in Malawi since independence: Consequences of a development strategy based on large-scale agriculture
by Kydd, Jonathan & Christiansen, Robert
- 377-396 Development planning in The Gambia: The gap between planners' and farmers' perceptions, expectations and objectives
by Dey, Jennie
- 397-411 Why development fails: The evaluation gap in Nepal's subsistence agriculture
by Calkins, Peter H.
- 413-416 On modelling the informal sector
by Stark, Oded
- 417-427 Equitable, productive employment targets for the international development strategy
by Kim, Kwan S. & Hanson, James A.
1982, Volume 10, Issue 4
- 263-283 Agricultural price policy in Tanzania
by Ellis, Frank
- 285-291 An analytical defence of basic needs: The optimal-savings perspective
by Quibria, M. G.
- 293-304 Export subsidies and trade policy: The experience of Kenya
by Low, Patrick
- 305-318 Escaping the rural energy dilemma: A process for matching technologies to local needs and resources
by Ashworth, John H. & Neuendorffer, Jean W.
- 319-325 The export of manpower from Pakistan to the Middle East, 1975-1985
by Tsakok, Isabelle
- 327-335 Back to basics: Theory for the rhetoric in the North-South round
by Taylor, Lance
- 337-338 Development: Journal of the Society for International Development
by Streeten, Paul
- 338-339 Peru 1890-1977: Growth and Policy in an Open Economy
by Figueroa, Adolfo
1982, Volume 10, Issue 3
- 167-185 The impact of primary schooling on economic development: a review of the evidence
by Colclough, Christopher
- 187-197 Basic education and income inequality in Brazil
by Jallade, Jean-Pierre
- 199-209 Problems of indexation in financially liberalized less developed economies
by Kapur, Basant K.
- 211-222 High interest rates: a new conventional wisdom for development policy? some conclusions from Sri Lankan experience
by Roe, Alan R.
- 223-238 Farming for energy: social options under Brazil's National Alcohol Programme
by Saint, William S.
- 239-261 Measures of appropriateness: the resource requirements of anaerobic digestion (biogas) systems
by Santerre, Michael T. & Smith, Kirk R.
1982, Volume 10, Issue 2
- 81-90 Can the East Asian model of development be generalized?
by Cline, William R.
- 91-102 Socially weighted real income comparisons: An application to India
by Broder, Ivy E. & Morris, Cynthia Taft
- 103-113 Food policy conflicts in Bangladesh
by Tarrant, J. R.
- 115-126 US multinationals and Latin American manufacturing employment absorption
by Meller, Patricio & Mizala, Alejandra
- 127-146 The emergence of Third World multinationals: Indian joint ventures overseas
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 147-160 The political economy of US policy on LDC debt relief: Executive-legislative relations, 1977-1980
by Cohen, Stephen D.
- 161-166 `When is trade more valuable than aid?': Revisited
by Yassin, Ibrahim H.
1982, Volume 10, Issue 1
- 1-17 Approaches to a New International Economic Order
by Streeten, Paul
- 19-22 Is there a poverty trap for developing countries? Polarization: Reality or myth
by Singer, H. W. & Mahmood, R. A.
- 23-38 Structural adjustment policies in developing economies
by Balassa, Bela
- 39-48 Has political risk scared mineral investment away from the deposits in developing countries?
by Radetzki, Marian
- 49-62 The `luxury unemployment' hypothesis: A review of recent evidence
by Udall, Alan T. & Sinclair, Stuart
- 63-70 Research on rural-to-urban migration in LDCs: The confusion frontier and why we should pause to rethink afresh
by Stark, Oded
- 71-79 The ten commandments of renewable energy analysis
by French, David
1981, Volume 9, Issue 11-12
- 1039-1061 Development from below: Local Development Associations in the Yemen Arab Republic
by Cohen, John M. & Hebert, Mary & Lewis, David B. & Swanson, Jon C.
- 1063-1082 Brazilian socioeconomic development: Issues for the eighties
by Knight, Peter T.
- 1083-1096 Growth with equity: The Cuban experience (1959-1980)
by Brundenius, Claes
- 1097-1108 An assessment of agricultural development policies in Iran
by Afshar, Haleh
- 1109-1114 Segmented labour markets without policy-induced labour market distortions
by Mezzera, Jaime
- 1115-1128 Recession, inflation and the international monetary system
by Seira, Ariel Buira
- 1129-1139 Some unresolved problems of the African Development Bank
by Fordwor, Kwame D.
1981, Volume 9, Issue 9-10
- 803-811 Socialism and development: Editors' introduction
by Jameson, Kenneth P. & Wilber, Charles K.
- 813-824 The Burmese way to `socialism'
by Fenichel, Allen & Khan, Azfar
- 825-837 Iraqi and Syrian socialism: An economic appraisal
by Gotthell, Fred
- 839-849 Tanzanian and African socialism
by Weaver, James H. & Kronemer, Alexander
- 851-870 Prospects and problems of the transition from agrarianism to socialism: The case of Angola, Guinea-Bissau and Mozambique
by Kofi, Tetteh A.
- 871-888 Socialist Cuba and the intermediate regimes of Jamaica and Guyana
by Jameson, Kenneth P.
- 889-905 The North Korean model: Gaps and questions
by Halliday, Jon
- 907-928 Romania and Greec--socialism vs capitalism
by Burakow, Nicholas
- 929-950 A socialist model of economic development: The Polish and Bulgarian experiences
by Feiwell, George R.
- 951-964 Establishing self-governing socialism in a less developed country
by Horvat, Branko
- 965-970 Some properties of the Eastern European growth pattern
by Kornai, Janos
- 971-977 On the role of management in socialist development
by Zimbalist, Andrew
- 979-989 Agricultural productivity under socialism
by Ellman, Michael
- 991-1004 The optimal rate of industrialization in developed and developing centrally-planned economies: A general equilibrium approach
by Brada, Josef C. & Jackson, Marvin R. & King, Arthur E.
- 1005-1017 Human rights, Third World socialism and Cuba
by Pollis, Adamantia
- 1019-1037 Women's emancipation under socialism: A model for the Third World?
by Molyneux, Maxine
1981, Volume 9, Issue 8
- 701-705 The two World Wars and economic development: Editor's introduction
by Ingham, Barbara & Simmons, Colin
- 707-716 Latin American manufacturing and the First World War: An exploratory essay
by Miller, Rory
- 717-734 Latin America and the Great War: A preliminary survey of developments in Chile, Peru, Argentina and Brazil
by Albert, Bill & Henderson, Paul
- 735-748 The First World War and the origins of the dual policy of development in Kenya 1914-1922
by Spencer, Ian R. G.
- 749-771 Imperial dictate: The effect of the two World Wars on the Indian coal industry
by Simmons, Colin
- 773-791 Engineering and the First World War: A case study of the Lancashire cotton spinning machine industry
by Kirk, Robert & Simmons, Colin
- 793-802 The impact of war on Russian and Soviet development 1850-1950
by Gatrell, Peter
1981, Volume 9, Issue 7
- 589-600 Implications of the effective revaluation of reserve asset gold: The case for a gold account for development
by Brodsky, David A. & Sampson, Gary P.
- 609-619 Reserve currency consolidation, gold policy and financial flows to developing countries: Mechanisms for an aid-augmented substitution account
by Bird, Graham
- 621-635 Redistribution, demand structure and factor requirements: The case of India
by Berry, Roger
- 637-655 Manpower and educational shortages in the Arab world: An interim strategy
by Paul Shaw, R.
- 657-678 Pirates and invaders: Land acquisition in urban Colombia and Venezuela
by Gilbert, Alan
- 679-694 State trading organizations: A bias decision model and applications
by Saulniers, Alfred
- 695-699 Indicators of development and data availability: The case of the PQLI
by Brodsky, David A. & Rodrik, Dani
1981, Volume 9, Issue 6
- 499-514 Toward a service-oriented growth strategy
by Baer, Werner & Samuelson, Larry
- 515-537 The changing post-war pattern of development: The accumulated wisdom of Samir Amin
by Schiffer, Jonathan
- 539-555 The refsnes seminar: Economic theory and north-south negotiations
by Helleiner, Gerald K.
- 557-562 Massive transfers and mutual interests
by Seers, Dudley
- 563-568 An analysis of drawings on the international monetary fund by developing countries
by Bird, Graham & Orme, Timothy
- 569-582 The military in politics: Who benefits and how
by Ball, Nicole
- 583-585 Beyond the slogan of South-South co-operation
by Goetz, Arturo L.
1981, Volume 9, Issue 5
- 401-427 Indicators of rural inequality
by Castro, Alfonso Peter & Hakansson, N. Thomas & Brokensha, David
- 429-434 Dependence and industrialization strategies
by Roemer, Michael
- 435-452 North-South interdependence: The case of the Federal Republic of Germany
by Schultz, Siegfried & Schumacher, Dieter & Wilkens, Herbert
- 453-463 Firm-level export performance in an inward-looking economy: The Indian engineering industry
by Lall, Sanjaya & Kumar, Rajiv
- 465-483 The funding of development research
by Gorman, Lyn
- 485-494 The influence of trade and commercial barriers on the industrial processing of natural resources
by Yeats, Alexander J.
- 495-498 Reply
by Wall, David
1981, Volume 9, Issue 4
- 321-336 Sources of innovation in agricultural technology
by Biggs, Stephen D. & Clay, Edward J.
- 337-353 Measurement of deprivation and poverty based on the proportion spent on food: An exploratory exercise
by Bhanoji Rao, V. V.
- 355-371 Productivity, mechanization and skills: A test of the Hirschman hypothesis for Latin American industry
by Teitel, Simon
- 373-382 The determinants of export subsidiary formation by US transnationals in developing countries: An inter-industry analysis
by Kirkpatrick, Colin & Yamin, M.
- 383-387 Non-multinational firms and transfer of technology to less developed countries
by Alam, Ghayur & Langrish, John
- 389-397 Development statistics and correlations: A comment on Hicks and Streeten
by McGranahan, Donald & Richard, Claude & Pizarro, Eduardo
- 399-399 Reply
by Hicks, Norman & Streeten, Paul
1981, Volume 9, Issue 3
- 221-226 Economic development in a changing world
by Griffin, Keith
- 227-250 Fostering the capital-goods sector in LDCs
by Pack, Howard
- 251-262 Development planning and appropriate technology: A dilemma and a proposal
by Ellis, Gene
- 263-275 Trade in manufactured goods: patterns of change
by Balassa, Bela
- 277-300 Poverty and unemployment in India: An analysis of recent evidence
by Visaria, Pravin
- 301-314 Pakistan's development: An overview
by Javed Burki, Shahid
- 315-318 More on the emigration of the peasantry
by Easton, Stephen T.
1981, Volume 9, Issue 2
- 109-147 Perspectives and problems of development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Acharya, Shankar N.
- 149-166 Higher education and social redistribution in a socialist society: The Chinese case
by White, Gordon
- 167-182 Meeting basic needs: An overview
by Javed Burki, Shahid & Ul Haq, Mahbub
- 183-191 Income instability and consumption-savings in South Korean farm households, 1965-1970
by Ro, Y. K. & Adams, D. W. & Hushak, L. J.
- 193-200 Dual-gap analysis for the Sudan
by El-Shibly, M. & Thirlwall, A. P.
- 201-213 Brick manufacturing in Columbia: A case study of alternative technologies
by Baily, Mary Ann
- 215-216 Comment on Isenman, `basic needs: The case of Sri Lanka'
by Richards, P. J.
- 217-218 Reply
by Isenman, Paul
- 219-220 Food security issues in the Arab near east: A report of the United Nations Economic Commission for West Asia : Edited by A.A. El-Sherbini (Oxford: Pergamon Press, pp. 241)
by Sinha, Radha
- 220-220 Financing mining projects in developing countries: A United Nations study : By Marian Radetzki and Stephen Zorn (London: Mining Journal Books Ltd. in co-operation with the United Nations, 1979)
by Hughes, Helen
1981, Volume 9, Issue 1
- 1-19 Rural poverty unperceived: Problems and remedies
by Chambers, Robert
- 21-35 The generation of technologies in rural areas
by Herrera, Amilcar O.
- 37-54 Education, employment and inequality in LDCs
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 55-72 Co-operatives and the poor: A comparative perspective
by Lele, Uma
- 73-92 Income distribution, basic needs and trade-offs with growth: The case of semi-industrialized Latin American countries
by Selowsky, Marcelo
- 93-105 Assertive pragmatism and the Multinational Enterprise
by Schatz, Sayre P.
1980, Volume 8, Issue 12
- 929-930 Editor's introduction
by Dommen, Edward
- 931-943 Some distinguishing characteristics of island states
by Dommen, Edward
- 945-951 Smallness and islandness
by Selwyn, Percy
- 953-962 The demography of micro-states
by Caldwell, John C. & Harrison, Graham E. & Quiggin, Pat
- 969-993 Islands and the demographic transition
by Cleland, John G. & Singh, Susheela
- 995-1013 Epidemics, health and disease in a small, isolated environment
by Prior, Ian & Stanhope, John
- 1017-1025 Monetary and central banking problems of mini states
by Khatkhate, Deena R. & Short, Brock K.
- 1027-1033 A programme for agriculture in island plantation economies
by Crusol, Jean & Crusol, Louis
- 1035-1050 Labour policy in the plantation islands
by Lamusse, Roland
- 1051-1059 Sociology, islands and boundaries
by Pitt, David
1980, Volume 8, Issue 11
- 823-832 Economic stabilization Latin America: Political dimensions - editor's introduction
by Foxley, Alejandro & Whitehead, Laurence
- 833-842 The international environment for adjustment in developing countries
by Dell, Sidney
- 843-864 Mexico from bust to boom: A political evaluation of the 1976-1979 stabilization programme
by Whitehead, Laurence
- 865-886 Inflation, stabilization and attempted redemocratization in Peru, 1975-1979
by Angell, Alan & Thorp, Rosemary
- 887-912 Stabilization policies and stagflation: The cases of Brazil and Chile
by Foxley, Alejandro
- 923-928 Discipline as the central objective of economic policy: An essay on the economic programme of the Argentine government since 1976
by Canitrot, Adolfo
1980, Volume 8, Issue 10
- 743-751 Beyond the slogan of South-South co-operation
by Ul Haq, Mahbub
- 753-762 Displacement of labour by imports of manufactures
by Kierzkowski, Henryk
- 763-768 The impact of declining terms of trade and inflation on the export proceeds and debt burden of developing countries
by Guillaumont, Patrick
- 769-780 The forest resource and rural energy development
by Gamser, Matthew S.
- 781-788 International trade in used cars and problems of economic development
by Grubel, Herbert G.
- 789-812 The international automotive industry and the developing world
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 813-822 Financial institutions and technology policy
by Bhatt, V. V.
1980, Volume 8, Issue 9
- 613-621 Famines
by Sen, Amartya
- 623-638 Workers' self-management and planning: The Yugoslav case
by Ardalan, Cyrus
- 639-646 Some methods of poverty analysis: An application to Iranian data, 1975-1976
by Van Ginneken, Wouter
- 647-675 The growth and decline of import substitution in Brazil -- revisited
by Weisskoff, Richard
- 677-703 The trouble with index-linking: Reflections on the recent Brazilian Experience
by Baer, Werner & Beckerman, Paul
- 705-723 A model for the planning of new settlement projects
by Weitz, Raanan & Pelley, David & Applebaum, Levia
- 725-739 The choice of sugar cane processing technique for Pakistan
by Delasanta, David W. & Morgan, Robert P.
1980, Volume 8, Issue 7-8
- 467-479 Religious values and social limits to development
by Wilber, Charles K. & Jameson, Kenneth P.
- 481-489 Development experts: The one-eyed giants
by Goulet, Denis
- 491-501 The religious factor in economic development
by Morris, Cynthia Taft & Adelman, Irma
- 503-512 Religious attitudes and development in Dakar, Senegal
by Creevey, Lucy
- 513-521 Islam and development
by Ragab, Ibrahim A. & Ragab, Ibrahim A.
- 523-533 African independent churches and economic development
by Turner, Harold W.
- 535-544 The Catholic Church and development in Latin America: The role of the Basic Christian Communities
by Bruneau, Thomas C.
- 545-553 Religion and development in South-east Asia: A comparative study
by Von Der Mehden, Fred R.
- 555-561 Islam in Iran: Turmoil, transformation or transcendence?
by Nash, Manning
- 563-575 Islam and development: The Zia regime in Pakistan
by Qureshi, Saleem
- 577-586 Buddhist values and development problems: A case study of Sri Lanka
by Ling, Trevor
- 587-589 The role of Buddhist monks in development
by Ariyaratne, A. T.