Highway-Induced Development: Evidence from Sri Lanka
Summary When transport investments are made in relatively infrastructure poor newly industrializing regions, the consequences extend beyond growth effects to some transformational changes. This paper empirically estimates the direction and the magnitude of some of the consequent transformational changes induced via a highway project in Sri Lanka. These changes were estimated at the firm and household level via a series of production function and multivariate analyses. In light of the observed results it is likely that traditional impact studies, by failing to incorporate transformational shifts (i.e., working under the assumption of a non-changing economic structure) significantly underestimate project benefits and costs.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ciccone, Antonio & Hall, Robert E, 1996.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 54-70, March.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995. "Productivity and the density of economic activity," Economics Working Papers 120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Mera, Koichi, 1973. "II. Regional production functions and social overhead capital: An analysis of the Japanese case," Regional and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 157-185, May.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989. "Is public expenditure productive?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- David Aschauer, 1988. "Is public expenditure productive?," Staff Memoranda 88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 2000. "Intertemporal Output and Employment Effects of Public Infrastructure Capital: Evidence from 12 OECD Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 687-712, July.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Lokshin, Michael & Yemtsov, Ruslan, 2003. "Evaluating the impact of infrastructure rehabilitation projects on household welfare in rural Georgia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3155, The World Bank.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 1999. "How inadequate provision of public infrastructure and services affects private investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2262, The World Bank.
- Seitz, Helmut, 1995. "The Productivity and Supply of Urban Infrastructures," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 29(2), pages 121-141, May.
- Shirley, Chad & Winston, Clifford, 2004. "Firm inventory behavior and the returns from highway infrastructure investments," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 398-415, March.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Leah M. Cook, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 11-33.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 69-112.
- Vivien Foster & Maria Caridad Araujo, 2004. "Does infrastructure reform work for the poor? A case study from Guatemala," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3185, The World Bank.
- Chandra, Amitabh & Thompson, Eric, 2000. "Does public infrastructure affect economic activity?: Evidence from the rural interstate highway system," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 457-490, July.
- Uwe Deichmann & Marianne Fay & Jun Koo & Somik V. Lall, 2004. "Economic structure, productivity, and infrastructure quality in Southern Mexico," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(3), pages 361-385, September.
- Deichmann, Uwe & Fay, Marianne & Jun Koo & Lall, Somik V., 2002. "Economic structure, productivity, and infrastructure quality in southern Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2900, The World Bank.
- Elhance, Arun P. & Lakshmanan, T. R., 1988. "Infrastructure-production system dynamics in national and regional systems : An econometric study of the Indian economy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 511-531, November.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-475, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:36:y:2008:i:11:p:2371-2389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.