Development of Groundwater Markets in China: A Glimpse into Progress to Date
Summary The overall goal of the paper is to better understand the development of groundwater markets in northern China. Field survey shows that groundwater markets in northern China have emerged and are developing rapidly. Developing in a number of ways that make them appear somewhat similar to markets that are found in South Asia, groundwater markets in northern China also differ by the impersonality and case bases. The privatization of tubewells is one of the most important driving factors encouraging the development of groundwater markets. Increasing water and land scarcity are also major determinants that induce the development of groundwater markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-21, May.
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2002.
"Irrigation, Agricultural Performance And Poverty Reduction In China,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19605, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Lohmar, Bryan & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2006. "Irrigation, agricultural performance and poverty reduction in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 30-52, February.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Rinku Murgai & Saeed Ur Rehman, 2004.
"Monopoly Power and Distribution in Fragmented Markets: The Case of Groundwater,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 783-808.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Murgai, Rinku & Rehman, Saeed Ur, 2001. "Monopoly power and distribution in fragmented markets : the case of groundwater," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2628, The World Bank.
- Sharma, Purushottam & Sharma, R.C., 2004. "Groundwater Markets Across Climatic Zones: A Comparative Study of Arid and Semi-Arid Zones of Rajasthan," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 59(1).
- Jinxia Wang & Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle, 2005.
"Evolution of tubewell ownership and production in the North China Plain ,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), pages 177-195, 06.
- Wang, Jinxia & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2005. "Evolution of tubewell ownership and production in the North China Plain," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), June.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Morley Gunderson, 1974. "Training Subsidies and Disadvantaged Workers: Regression with a Limited Dependent Variable," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 7(4), pages 611-24, November.
- Wang, J. & Huang, J. & Blanke, A. & Huang, Q. & Rozelle, S., 2007. "The development, challenges and management of groundwater in rural China," IWMI Books, Reports H040041, International Water Management Institute.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela, 1996. "Groundwater markets in Pakistan: participation and productivity," Research reports 105, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:36:y:2008:i:4:p:706-726. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.