Interpersonal, Intertemporal and Spatial Variation in Risk Perceptions: Evidence from East Africa
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Cheryl Doss & John McPeak & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "Interpersonal, Intertemporal and Spatial Variation in Risk Perceptions: Evidence from East Africa," Working Papers 948, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
References listed on IDEAS
- Luseno, Winnie K. & McPeak, John G. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Little, Peter D. & Gebru, Getachew, 2003. "Assessing the Value of Climate Forecast Information for Pastoralists: Evidence from Southern Ethiopia and Northern Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1477-1494, September.
- FFF1Christoph NNN1Bühler & FFF2Hans-Peter NNN2Kohler, 2003. "Talking about AIDS," Demographic Research Special Collections, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 1(13), pages 397-438, September.
- Foster, Andrew D & Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1995.
"Learning by Doing and Learning from Others: Human Capital and Technical Change in Agriculture,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1176-1209, December.
- Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, "undated". "Learning by Doing and Learning from Others: Human Capital and Technical Change in Agriculture," Home Pages _068, University of Pennsylvania.
- Travis J. Lybbert & Christopher B. Barrett & Solomon Desta & D. Layne Coppock, 2004.
"Stochastic wealth dynamics and risk management among a poor population,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(498), pages 750-777, October.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Desta, Solomon & Coppock, D. Layne, 2002. "Stochastic Wealth Dynamics And Risk Management Among A Poor Population," Working Papers 14736, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Jianakoplos, Nancy Ammon & Bernasek, Alexandra, 1998. "Are Women More Risk Averse?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(4), pages 620-630, October.
- Haro, Guyo O. & Doyo, Godana J. & McPeak, John G., 2005. "Linkages Between Community, Environmental, and Conflict Management: Experiences from Northern Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, February.
- John G. McPeak, 2003. "Analyzing and Addressing Localized Degradation in the Commons," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(4), pages 515-536.
- Smith, Kevin & Barrett, Christopher B. & Box, Paul W., 2000. "Participatory Risk Mapping for Targeting Research and Assistance: With an Example from East African Pastoralists," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 1945-1959, November.
- Matthew Rabin, 1998.
"Psychology and Economics,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 11-46, March.
- Matthew Rabin., 1997. "Psychology and Economics," Economics Working Papers 97-251, University of California at Berkeley.
- Rabin, Matthew, 1997. "Psychology and Economics," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8jd5z5j2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & McPeak, John G. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2007. "Bayesian Herders: Updating of Rainfall Beliefs in Response to External Forecasts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 480-497, March.
- Lentz, Erin C. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2004. "Food Aid Targeting, Shocks And Private Transfers Among East African Pastoralists," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20247, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- C. Barrett & K. Smith & P. Box, 2001. "Not Necessarily In The Same Boat: Heterogeneous Risk Assessment Among East African Pastoralists," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(5), pages 1-30.
- Renate Schubert, 1999. "Financial Decision-Making: Are Women Really More Risk-Averse?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 381-385, May.
- Christine M. Moser & Christopher B. Barrett, 2006.
"The complex dynamics of smallholder technology adoption: the case of SRI in Madagascar,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 373-388, November.
- Moser, Christine M. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2003. "The Complex Dynamics Of Smallholder Technology Adoption: The Case Of Sri In Madagascar," Working Papers 14735, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Catherine C. Eckel & Philip J. Grossman, 2008. "Forecasting Risk Attitudes: An Experimental Study Using Actual and Forecast Gamble Choices," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-01, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Matthew Rabin & Joel L. Schrag, 1999. "First Impressions Matter: A Model of Confirmatory Bias," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 37-82.
- Jere Behrman & Hans-Peter Kohler & Susan C. Watkins, 2003. "Social Networks, HIV/AIDS and Risk Perceptions," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-007, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Esposito, Elena & Sunde, Uwe & Valmori, Simona, 2016.
"Malaria Risk and Civil Violence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
11496, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Esposito, Elena & Sunde, Uwe & Valmori, Simona, 2017. "Malaria Risk and Civil Violence," Discussion Papers in Economics 36389, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Matteo Cervellati & Elena Esposito & Uwe Sunde & Simona Valmori, 2017. "Malaria Risk and Civil Violence," CESifo Working Paper Series 6413, CESifo Group Munich.
- Joshua J. Ramisch, 2016. "“Never at ease”: cellphones, multilocational households, and the metabolic rift in western Kenya," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 33(4), pages 979-995, December.
- Gloede, Oliver & Menkhoff, Lukas & Waibel, Hermann, 2015.
"Shocks, Individual Risk Attitude, and Vulnerability to Poverty among Rural Households in Thailand and Vietnam,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 54-78.
- Gloede, Oliver & Menkhoff, Lukas & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Shocks, individual risk attitude, and vulnerability to poverty among rural households in Thailand and Vietnam," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-508, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Marc Rockmore, 2017.
"The Cost of Fear: The Welfare Effect of the Risk of Violence in Northern Uganda,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 31(3), pages 650-669.
- Marc Rockmore, 2011. "The Cost of Fear: The Welfare Effects of the Risk of Violence in Northern Uganda," HiCN Working Papers 109, Households in Conflict Network.
- Rockmore,Marc, 2016. "The cost of fear : the welfare effect of the risk of violence in northern Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7642, The World Bank.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Kumar, Neha & Behrman, Julia A., 2011. "Do shocks affect men's and women's assets differently?: A review of literature and new evidence from Bangladesh and Uganda," IFPRI discussion papers 1113, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- van den Berg, Marrit & Fort, Ricardo & Burger, Kees, 2009. "Natural Hazards And Risk Aversion: Experimental Evidence From Latin America," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51394, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bishu, Kinfe & O'Reilly, Seamus & Lahiff, Edward & Steiner, Bodo, 2016. "Cattle farmers’ perceptions of risk and risk management strategies," MPRA Paper 74954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moya, A., 2012. "Violence, Emotional Distress and Induced Changes in Risk Aversion among the Displaced Population in Colombia," Working papers 105, Rimisp Latin American Center for Rural Development.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R., 2011. "Do men and women accumulate assets in different ways?: Evidence from rural Bangladesh," IFPRI discussion papers 1096, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:97:y:2017:i:c:p:138-152 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nguyen, Trung Thanh & Nguyen, Loc Duc & Lippe, Rattiya Suddeephong & Grote, Ulrike, 2017. "Determinants of Farmers’ Land Use Decision-Making: Comparative Evidence From Thailand and Vietnam," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 199-213.
- Bigsten, Arne & Tengstam, Sven, 2008.
"Smallholder Income Diversification in Zambia: The Way Out of Poverty?,"
Food Security Collaborative Working Papers
54490, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Bigsten, Arne & Tengstam, Sven, 2008. "Smallholder Income Diversification in Zambia: The Way Out of Poverty?," Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs 54637, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Balgah, Roland Azibo & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 2011. "Effects of Natural Shocks on Risk Behavior. Experimental Evidence from Cameroon," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114215, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sudha Narayanan, 2012. "Safe gambles? Farmer perceptions of transactional certainty and risk-return tradeoffs in contract farming schemes in Southern India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-021, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:102:y:2018:i:c:p:262-274 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
- O12 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:36:y:2008:i:8:p:1453-1468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.