Analyzing and Addressing Localized Degradation in the Commons
Social scientists are paying increasing attention to the implications for commons management of user and resource heterogeneity. This study considers the example of localized degradation of a shared rangeland where users and rangeland sub-areas differ in characteristics. A model of land-use decisions is developed. Longitudinal data on land-use decisions are investigated. The impact of proportionate reduction and uniform quota policies are evaluated by simulating estimation results. The study finds recognizing heterogeneity allows insight into the causes of localized degradation, and explains how policies intended to increase the efficiency of exploitation can go awry if heterogeneity is not recognized.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey B. Nugent & Nicolas Sanchez, 1998. "Common Property Rights as an Endogenous Response to Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 651-657.
- Clark, Colin W & Clarke, Frank H & Munro, Gordon R, 1979. "The Optimal Exploitation of Renewable Resource Stocks: Problems of Irreversible Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 25-47, January.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain, 1993. "Simulation-based inference : A survey with special reference to panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 5-33, September.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Gardner, Roy & Herr, Andrew & Ostrom, Elinor & Walker, James A., 2000. "The power and limitations of proportional cutbacks in common-pool resources," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 515-533, August.
- Sanchirico, James N. & Wilen, James E., 1999. "Bioeconomics of Spatial Exploitation in a Patchy Environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 129-150, March.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:79:y:2003:i:4:p:515-536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.