Building Institutions to Trade Ecosystem Services: Marketing Forest Carbon in Mexico
Summary This paper analyzes institutional design, organizational capacity, and interplay in markets for ecosystem services. It examines the development of a market-based mechanism to commercialize forest carbon in Mexico through the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM). This is compared with a State-run carbon forestry program aiming to provide emission rights to voluntary, retail-based, carbon markets. Marketing forest carbon is hampered by lack of organizational capacity in government and civil society, uncertainties in the international policy process, and the interplay with existing common property institutions in rural Mexico. The paper identifies theoretical and practical barriers to implementing institutional arrangements for forest carbon trading.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swallow, Brent & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & van Noordwijk, Meine, 2005. "Localizing demand and supply of environmental services: interactions with property rights, collective action and the welfare of the poor," CAPRi working papers 42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Noreen Beg & Jan Corfee Morlot & Ogunlade Davidson & Yaw Afrane-Okesse & Lwazikazi Tyani & Fatma Denton & Youba Sokona & Jean Philippe Thomas & Emilio Lèbre La Rovere & Jyoti K. Parikh & Kirit Parikh , 2002. "Linkages between climate change and sustainable development," Climate Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2-3), pages 129-144, September.
- Pagiola, Stefano & Arcenas, Agustin & Platais, Gunars, 2005. "Can Payments for Environmental Services Help Reduce Poverty? An Exploration of the Issues and the Evidence to Date from Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 237-253, February.
- Munoz-Pina, Carlos & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2003.
"Recrafting Rights over Common Property Resources in Mexico,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 129-58, October.
- Munoz-Pina, Carlos & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2003. "Re-crafting rights over common property resources in Mexico," CUDARE Working Paper Series 984, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Munoz-Pina, Carlos & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2003. "Re-Crafting Rights over Common Property Resources in Mexico," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6gc2h1d9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Franck Lecocq & Karan Capoor, . "State and Trends of the Carbon Market 2005," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13411, The World Bank.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Lee, David R. & McPeak, John G., 2005. "Institutional Arrangements for Rural Poverty Reduction and Resource Conservation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 193-197, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:36:y:2008:i:10:p:1956-1979. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.