International Investment Agreements and Services Markets: Locking in Market Failure?
Summary Bilateral investment treaties (BITs) and investment chapters in preferential trade agreements have become popular measures to guarantee investor-friendly policies. While they reassure multinational firms, they also constrain host country authorities in regulating markets to stimulate competition. These problems are widespread in service industries characterized by significant economies of scale. This paper presents case studies of the difficulties the Chilean regulatory authorities faced in regulating the financial services, telecom, and energy industries. It concludes that able regulators are necessary, but that international agreements need to also leave enough policy space.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neumayer, Eric & Spess, Laura, 2005.
"Do bilateral investment treaties increase foreign direct investment to developing countries?,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1567-1585, October.
- Eric Neumayer & Laura Spess, 2004. "Do bilateral investment treaties increase foreign direct investment to developing countries?," International Finance 0411004, EconWPA, revised 10 May 2005.
- Bernard Hoekman & Carlos Braga, 1997. "Protection and Trade in Services: A Survey," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 285-308, July.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Primo Braga, Carlos, 1997. "Protection and Trade in Services: A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 1705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Primo Braga, Carlos A., 1997. "Protection and trade in services : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1747, The World Bank.
- Fernandez, Raquel & Portes, Jonathan, 1998. "Returns to Regionalism: An Analysis of Nontraditional Gains from Regional Trade Agreements," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(2), pages 197-220, May.
- Bitran, Eduardo & Serra, Pablo, 1998. "Regulation of privatized utilities: The Chilean experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 945-962, June.
- Eduardo Bitrán & Pablo Serra, 1998. "Regulation of Privatized Utilities: The Chilean Experience," Documentos de Trabajo 32, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Ramamurti, Ravi & Doh, Jonathan P., 2004. "Rethinking foreign infrastructure investment in developing countries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 151-167, May.
- Crawford, Jo-Ann & Fiorentino, Roberto V., 2005. "The changing landscape of regional trade agreements," WTO Discussion Papers 8, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1998. "Regionalism in a Multilateral World," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1214-1245, December.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1996. "Regionalism in a multilateral world," Discussion Papers, Series II 314, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, July.
- Kobrin, Stephen J., 1987. "Testing the bargaining hypothesis in the manufacturing sector in developing countries," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(04), pages 609-638, September.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1999. "How Effective Are Capital Controls?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 65-84, Fall.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1999. "How Effective are Capital Controls?," NBER Working Papers 7413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Fink, Carsten, 2002. "Regional agreements and trade services - policy issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2852, The World Bank.
- Murillo, Maria Victoria & Foulon, Carmen Le, 2006. "Crisis and policymaking in Latin America: The case of Chile's 1998-99 electricity crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1580-1596, September.
- Williams, Barry, 2003. "Domestic and international determinants of bank profits: Foreign banks in Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1185-1210, June.
- Berger, Allen N. & Buch, Claudia M. & DeLong, Gayle & DeYoung, Robert, 2004. "Exporting financial institutions management via foreign direct investment mergers and acquisitions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 333-366, April.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2909, The World Bank.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 2001. "The new regionalism in the Americas: a theoretical framework," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 159-172, July.
- Witold J. Henisz & Bennet A. Zelner, 2001. "The Institutional Environment for Telecommunications Investment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 123-147, 03.
- Maurice Schiff & L. Alan Winters, 2003. "Regional Integration and Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15172.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1989. "Promises, Promises: Credible Policy Reform via Signalling," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 756-772, September.
- Dani Rodrik, 1988. "Promises, Promises: Credible Policy Reform via Signaling," NBER Working Papers 2600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Ronald & Gonzalez, Pablo & Serra, Pablo, 2006. "Does competition in privatized social services work? The Chilean Experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 647-664, April.
- Ghilarducci, Teresa & Liebana, Patricia Ledesma, 2000. "Unions' Role in Argentine and Chilean Pension Reform," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 753-762, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:36:y:2008:i:11:p:2456-2469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.