Protection and Trade in Services: A Survey
This paper surveys the literature on trade in services, focusing on the policies that are used to restrict such trade, the gains from liberalization, and the institutional mechanisms that have been adopted in the pursuit of liberalization. It argues that technological progress and international trade negotiations are likely to keep liberalization of trade in services a high profile policy issue. It also suggests that the research agenda should focus on developing better estimates of the welfare costs of protectionism in the service sector. This will require the quantification of barriers to the international exchange of services.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Se-Hark & Chan, Kenneth S., 1989. "A cross-country input-output analysis of intersectoral relationships between manufacturing and services and their employment implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 199-212, February.
- Bennathan, E. & Escobar, L. & Panagakos, G., 1989. "Deregulation Of Shipping - What Is To Be Learned From Chile," World Bank - Discussion Papers 67, World Bank.
- Kessides, C., 1993. "Institutional Options for Provision of Infrastructure," World Bank - Discussion Papers 212, World Bank.
- Hindley, Brian, 1988. "Service Sector Protection: Considerations for Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 205-224, May.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1993.
"How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 337-366, August.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1989. "How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 163, The World Bank.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1993. "Pricing the Internet," Memorandum 20/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Hal R. Varian, 1994. "Pricing the Internet," Computational Economics 9401002, EconWPA.
- Deardoff, A.V. & Brown, D.K. & Stern, R.M. & Fox, A.K., 1995. "Computational Analysis of Goods and Services Liberalization in the Uruguay Round," Working Papers 379, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E., 1989. "US multinationals in Latin American service industries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(11), pages 1769-1776, November.
- Hoekman, B. & Sauve, P., 1995. "Liberalizing Trade in Services," World Bank - Discussion Papers 243, World Bank.
- Hallett Andrew Hughes & Braga C. A. Primo, 1994. "The New Regionalism and the Threat of Protectionism," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 388-421, December.
- Hallet, Andrew Hughes & Braga, Carlos A. Primo & DEC, 1994. "The new regionalism and the threat of protectionism," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1349, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, B.M., 1992. "Conceptual and Political Economy Issues in Liberalizing International Transactions in Services," Working Papers 309, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1992. "Conceptual and Political Economy Issues in Liberalizing International Transactions in Services," CEPR Discussion Papers 666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Ford & Wim Suyker, 1990. "Industrial Subsidies in the OECD Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 74, OECD Publishing.
- Francois, Joseph & Reinert, Kenneth A, 1995. "The Role of Services in the Structure of Production and Trade: Stylized Facts from a Cross-Country Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1228, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hill, Alice*Abdala, Manuel Angel*DEC, 1993. "Regulation, institutions, and commitment : privatization and regulation in the Argentine telecommunications sector," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1216, The World Bank.
- Joseph Francois & Hugh M. Arce & Kenneth A. Reinert & Joseph E. Flynn, 1996. "Commercial Policy and the Domestic Carrying Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 181-198, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1705. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.