Land Transport for Export: The Effects of Cost, Time, and Uncertainty in Sub-Saharan Africa
In Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), inland export transport costs and time delays are much higher for landlocked countries, vary substantially between different geographic corridors, and exhibit substantial uncertainty. Unit costs and costs of time for land transport of exports are high for many agricultural products relative to metals and other high-value products. We illustrate systemic uncertainty in land and maritime transport for exporting by use of simulation. Relationships among uncertainty, infrastructure quality, and other features of logistics systems are highly non-linear, and can be potentially used to identify priorities for trade facilitation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-François Arvis & Gaël Raballand & Jean-François Marteau, 2010.
"The Cost of Being Landlocked : Logistics Costs and Supply Chain Reliability,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2489, March.
- Arvis, Jean-Francois & Raballand, Gael & Marteau, Jean-Francois, 2007. "The cost of being landlocked : logistics costs and supply chain reliability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4258, The World Bank.
- Milner, Chris & Zgovu, Evious, 2006. "A natural experiment for identifying the impact of 'natural' trade barriers on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 251-268, June.
- Clark, Ximena & Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro, 2004.
"Port efficiency, maritime transport costs, and bilateral trade,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 417-450, December.
- Ximena Clark & David Dollar & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Port Efficiency, Maritime Transport Costs and Bilateral Trade," NBER Working Papers 10353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ga�l Raballand, 2003. "Determinants of the Negative Impact of Being Landlocked on Trade: An Empirical Investigation Through the Central Asian Case," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(4), pages 520-536, December.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Supee Teravaninthorn & Gaël Raballand, 2009. "Transport Prices and Costs in Africa : A Review of the International Corridors," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6610, March.
- C. Milner & O. Morrissey & N. Rudaheranwa, 2000. "Policy and Non-Policy Barriers to Trade and Implicit Taxation of Exports in Uganda," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 67-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:39:y:2011:i:10:p:1749-1759. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.