Bad Governance and Poor Children: A Comparative Analysis of Government Efficiency and Severe Child Deprivation in 68 Low- and Middle-income Countries
Research on democratization and quality of government (QoG) has highlighted the impact of poor governance on people’s living conditions. Simultaneously we have gained knowledge about global child poverty. Here these two strands of research are brought together. We use survey micro-data from 68 low- and middle-income countries (N=2,120,734) measuring deprivation of seven basic human needs (safe water, food, sanitation, shelter, education, health care, and information) among children. We show that QoG affected four of the deprivation indicators. In contrast, democratization appears to have no impact on the extent of child deprivation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svedberg, Peter, 2000. "Poverty and Undernutrition: Theory, Measurement, and Policy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292685, December.
- Nicholas CHARRON, 2011. "Exploring The Impact Of Foreign Aid On Corruption: Has The “Anti‐Corruption Movement” Been Effective?," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 49(1), pages 66-88, 03.
- Andy Sumner, 2010. "Child poverty, well‐being and agency: What does a ‘3‐D well‐being’ approach contribute?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(8), pages 1064-1075, November.
- Gerring, John & Kingstone, Peter & Lange, Matthew & Sinha, Aseema, 2011. "Democracy, History, and Economic Performance: A Case-Study Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1735-1748.
- Sabina Alkire & Maria Emma Santos, 2010.
"Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries,"
Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present)
HDRP-2010-11, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos, . "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp038, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Alkire, Sabina & Santos, María Emma, 2011. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 3, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Montinola, Gabriella R. & Jackman, Robert W., 2002. "Sources of Corruption: A Cross-Country Study," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 147-170, January.
- Headey, Derek D., 2013. "Developmental Drivers of Nutritional Change: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 76-88.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Aggregating governance indicators," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2195, The World Bank.
- Eric M. Uslaner, 2008. "The foundations of trust: macro and micro," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 289-294, March.
- Holmberg, Sören & Rothstein, Bo, 2011. "Dying of corruption," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 529-547, September.
- Enrique Delamonica & Alberto Minujin, 2007. "Incidence, Depth and Severity of Children in Poverty," Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 82(2), pages 361-374, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:48:y:2013:i:c:p:19-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.