1992, Volume 20, Issue 3
- 351-367 Income tax reform in Colombia and Venezuela: A comparative history
by McLure, Charles Jr.
- 369-383 Promoting the sustainability of development institutions: A framework for strategy
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W. & Goldsmith, Arthur A.
- 385-399 Struggling with Honduran poverty: The environmental consequences of natural resource-based development and rural transformations
by Stonich, Susan C.
- 401-422 The structural transformation of Taiwan's tea industry
by Etherington, Dan M. & Forster, Keith
- 423-436 Segmentation in rural financial markets: the case of Nepal
by Yadav, S. & Otsuka, K. & David, C. C.
- 437-455 Fertilizer price and subsidy policies in Bangladesh
by Renfro, Raymond Z. H.
- 457-465 The management of secondary consequences in dam projects: The case of drawdown agriculture in Indonesia
by Winarto, Yunita T.
- 467-475 Development: Creator and destroyer of values
by Goulet, Denis
1992, Volume 20, Issue 2
- 143-164 Software industry entry strategies for developing countries: A "walking on two legs" proposition
by Schware, Robert
- 165-186 Technological capabilities and industrialization
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 187-197 The government, financial system, and large private enterprises in the economic development of South Korea
by Lee, Chung H.
- 199-212 A subsector approach to small enterprise promotion and research
by Boomgard, James J. & Davies, Stephen P. & Haggblade, Steven J. & Mead, Donald C.
- 213-227 Gender and state bias in Jamaican housing programs
by Klak, Thomas H. & Hey, Jeanne K.
- 229-240 Popular participation and central planning in Cuban socialism: The experience of agriculture in the 1980s
by Meurs, Mieke
- 241-253 Integration of environmental concerns into agricultural policies of industrial and developing countries
by Lutz, Ernst & Young, Michael
- 255-259 A framework for improving environmental management: Beyond the market mechanism
by Redclift, Michael R.
- 261-274 Sustaining agricultural development in harsh environments: Insights from private land reclamation in Egypt
by Tomich, Thomas P.
- 275-282 Technology adoption on small farms
by Rauniyar, Ganesh P. & Goode, Frank M.
- 283-288 The time-series behavior of Brazilian real gross domestic product, 1947-87: An analysis of interventions
by Tombini, Alexandre A. & Newbold, Paul
- 289-302 Balance of payments, output and prices in Tanzania
by Sepehri, Ardeshir
- 303-308 Determinants of health care expenditure in Africa: A cross-sectional study
by Gbesemete, Kwame P. & Gerdtham, Ulf-G.
1992, Volume 20, Issue 1
- 1-18 Indian informatics in the 1980s: The changing character of state involvement
by Evans, Peter B.
- 19-37 Below the line: Poverty in Latin America
by Cardoso, Eliana & Helwege, Ann
- 39-55 Housing markets in third world cities: Research and policy into the 1990s
by Rakodi, Carole
- 57-68 Moneylenders and informal financial markets in Malawi
by Bolnick, Bruce R.
- 69-81 Public enterprise reform in Papua New Guinea
by Whitworth, Alan
- 83-95 Deindustrialization, adjustment, the World Bank and the IMF in Africa
by Stein, Howard
- 97-107 Choice of technology in small and large firms: Grain milling in Tanzania
by Bagachwa, M. S. D.
- 109-117 The broth and the cooks: A theory of surplus labor
by Basu, Kaushik
- 119-131 On measuring the quality of life
by Dasgupta, Partha & Weale, Martin
- 133-142 Of finance and development: Neglected and unsettled questions
by Chandavarkar, Anand
1991, Volume 19, Issue 12
- 1653-1678 The sectoral structure of poverty during an adjustment period: Evidence for Indonesia in the mid-1980s
by Huppi, Monika & Ravallion, Martin
- 1679-1694 Women and political participation in Africa: Broadening the scope of research
by Hirschmann, David
- 1695-1704 The Southern Mount Kenya forest since independence: A social analysis of resource competition
by Castro, Alfonso Peter
- 1705-1720 Economics of multihabitation: Housing conditions, household occupancy and household structure under rent control, inflation, and nonmarketability of ownership rights
by Willis, K. G. & Tipple, A. G.
- 1721-1730 The political economy of dilatory reform: Egypt in the 1980s
by Richards, Alan
- 1731-1736 Privatization: Possible lessons from the Hungarian case
by Schwartz, Gerd
- 1737-1751 Building technological capacity: A case study of the computer industry in India, 1975-1987
by Brunner, Hans-Peter
- 1753-1766 Computer-aided management advice for loan programs run by Indonesian village women
by Nystuen, John D. & Zinn, Frank D. & Sulistyo, Djoko & Darmasetiawan, Rommy
- 1767-1776 Participatory management in large irrigation systems: Issues for consideration
by Raby, Namika
- 1777-1785 The relation between real cash balances and physical inputs in South Korea's manufacturing sector
by Mohabbat, Khan A. & Yuhn, Ky Hyang
- 1787-1790 A comment on the relative employment-generation capabilities of the manufacturing and service sectors in developing countries
by Lewis, Blane D.
- 1791-1792 A reply to Lewis
by Park, Se-Hark & Chan, Kenneth S.
- 1793-1795 A comment on investment and economic growth
by Scott, Maurice FG.
- 1797-1799 A reply to Scott
by Anderson, Dennis
- 1801-1805 Editors' introduction
by Jolly, Richard & Van Der Hoeven, Rolph
- 1807-1821 Adjustment with a human face: A UNICEF record and perspective on the 1980s
by Jolly, Richard
- 1823-1834 IMF adjustment policies and approaches and the needs of children
by Helleiner, G. K. & Cornia, G. A. & Jolly, R.
- 1835-1845 Adjustment with a human face: Still relevant or overtaken by events?
by Van Der Hoeven, Rolph
- 1847-1864 The many faces of adjustment
by Stewart, Frances
1991, Volume 19, Issue 11
- 1483-1484 Foreword
by Morrisson, Christian
- 1485-1508 Poverty and income distribution during adjustment: Issues and evidence from the OECD project
by Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Morrisson, Christian
- 1509-1525 Macroeconomics, financial variables, and computable general equilibrium models
by Robinson, Sherman
- 1527-1544 Modeling the effects of adjustment programs on income distribution
by Bourguignon, Francois & De Melo, Jaime & Suwa, Akiko
- 1545-1561 Adjustment and social costs in Chile during the 1980s
by Meller, Patricio
- 1563-1576 Adjustment and equity in Cote d'Ivoire: 1980-86
by Lambert, Sylvie & Schneider, Hartmut & Suwa, Akiko
- 1577-1594 Politically feasible and equitable adjustment: Some alternatives for ecuador
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Fargeix, Andre
- 1595-1614 Adjustment, growth and income distribution in Indonesia
by Thorbecke, Erik
- 1615-1632 Poverty and macroeconomic policy in Malaysia, 1979-1987
by Demery, Lionel & Demery, David
- 1633-1651 Adjustment, incomes and poverty in Morocco
by Morrisson, Christian
1991, Volume 19, Issue 10
- 1275-1287 Fuelwood, subsistence foraging, and the decline of common property
by McGranahan, Gordon
- 1289-1297 Natural resources prices, export policies, and deforestation: The case of sudan
by Larson, Bruce A. & Bromely, Daniel W.
- 1299-1314 Planning for sustainability: Access to fuelwood in Dhanusha District, Nepal
by Soussan, John & Gevers, Els & Ghimire, Krishna & O'Keefe, Phil
- 1315-1334 When failure becomes success: Class and the debate over stabilization and adjustment
by Ruccio, David F.
- 1335-1349 The reproduction of gender inequality in Muslim societies: A case study of Iran in the 1980s
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
- 1351-1365 The differentiation of the urbanization process under apartheid
by May, Julian & Rankin, Sheldon
- 1367-1379 Antagonistic cooperation: A case study of nongovernmental organizations, government and donor's relationships in income-generating projects in Bangladesh
by Sanyal, Bishwapriya
- 1381-1389 Economic policy and the relative price of services in LDCs
by Feldman, David H.
- 1391-1398 Capital mobility in developing countries: Some empirical tests
by Haque, Nadeem U. & Montiel, Peter
- 1399-1408 Adjustment policies and the real exchange rate in Kenya since 1975
by De Groot, Albert W.
- 1409-1419 Who bears the incidence of import protection? Evidence from Sri Lanka
by Navaratne, N. M. C.
- 1421-1440 Performance and adaptive roles of the government-supported research institute in South Korea
by Lee, Dal Hwan & Bae, Zong-Tae & Lee, Jinjoo
- 1441-1444 A comment on economic growth and social development
by Colombatto, Enrico
- 1445-1449 A reply
by Newman, Barbara A. & Thomson, Randall J.
- 1451-1460 Human development Report 1990: Review and assessment
by Bhanojirao, V. V.
- 1469-1473 Human development revisited: A new UNDP report
by Hopkins, Michael
1991, Volume 19, Issue 9
- 1121-1135 Big business and urban congestion in Taiwan: The origins of small enterprise and regionally decentralized industry (respectively)
by Amsden, Alice H.
- 1137-1143 Rethinking desertification: What do we know and what have we learned?
by Rhodes, Steven L.
- 1145-1151 The causes of tropical deforestation in Ecuador: A statistical analysis
by Southgate, Douglas & Sierra, Rodrigo & Brown, Lawrence
- 1153-1165 Comparative advantage, trade and growth: Export-Led growth revisited
by Dodaro, Santo
- 1167-1183 A structuralist perspective on the role of technology in economic growth and development
by Justman, Moshe & Teubal, Morris
- 1185-1196 Managing commodity booms in Botswana
by Hill, Catherine B.
- 1197-1213 Import-substituting industrialization and protection of the small-scale: The Indian experience in the textile industry
by Mazumdar, Dipak
- 1215-1224 Putting TRIMs to good use
by Balasubramanyam, V. N.
- 1225-1240 Exchange rate volatility and Pakistan's exports to the developed world, 1974-85
by Kumar, Ramesh & Dhawan, Ravinder
- 1241-1246 The income redistributional impact of financing higher education in Pakistan
by Khan, Shahrukh R.
- 1247-1268 A comparison of labor-saving technologies for processing shea nut butter in Mali
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 1269-1274 Reevaluating the effect of N-ach on economic growth
by Lewis, Jeffrey
1991, Volume 19, Issue 8
- 933-943 Integration of environmental externalities in international commodity agreements
by Kox, Henk L. M.
- 945-956 The international economics of intellectual property right protection: A welfare-theoretic trade policy analysis
by Subramanian, Arvind
- 957-967 Growth-oriented adjustment programs: A statistical analysis
by Faini, Riccardo & De Melo, Jaime & Senhadji, Abdelhak & Stanton, Julie
- 969-986 Inflation in Argentina: Stop and go since the Austral plan
by Kiguel, Miguel A.
- 987-1005 Institutional impediments to workforce retrenchment and restructing in Ghana's State enterprises
by Tait Davis, J.
- 1007-1028 Household shelter strategies in comparative perspective: Evidence from low-income groups in Bamako and La Paz
by Van Lindert, Paul & Van Westen, August
- 1029-1044 Education and economic growth in Taiwan: A case of successful planning
by Hay Woo, Jennie
- 1045-1054 The impact of Iran's islamic revolution on health personnel policy
by Malek, M.
- 1055-1073 Technology transfer and the development of China's offshore oil industry
by Warhurst, Alyson
- 1075-1093 Poverty and the forward-falling labor supply function: A microeconomic analysis
by Sharif, Mohammed
- 1095-1105 The fungibility of US assistance to developing countries and the impact on recipient expanditures: a case study of Pakistan
by Khilji, Nasir M. & Zampelli, Ernest M.
- 1107-1116 An aggregate private expenditure function for the Bangladesh economy
by Hossain, Akhtar
- 1117-1120 Deserved debt relief: a note
by Giehm Mikkelsen, Jan
1991, Volume 19, Issue 7
- 749-761 The Public-Private choice: The case of marketing a country to investors
by Wells, Louis Jr. & Wint, Alvin G.
- 763-777 Legal process and economic development: A case study of Indonesia
by Gray, Cheryl W.
- 779-789 The urban subsistence labor force: Toward a policy-oriented and empirically accessible taxonomy
by Cole, William E. & Fayissa, Bichaka
- 791-803 Asian urban development policies in the 1990s: From growth control to urban diffusion
by Rondinelli, Dennis A.
- 805-820 A reassessment of the causes and severity of Nepal's environmental crisis
by Metz, John J.
- 821-829 Brazilian policies that encourage deforestation in the Amazon
by Binswanger, Hans P.
- 831-838 Parastatal pay policy in Africa
by Lindauer, David L.
- 839-849 Understanding the failure of IMF reform: The Zambian case
by Hawkins, Jeffrey Jr.
- 851-865 External shocks and adjustment in a mineral dependent economy: A short-run model for Zambia
by Kayizzi-Mugerwa, Steve
- 867-884 The nature and determinants of socioeconomic inequality among peasant households in Southern Sudan
by House, William J.
- 885-901 Newly and lately industrializing exporters: LDC manufactured exports to the United States, 1977-1984
by Alger, Keith
- 903-914 The accumulation of technology: Capital goods production in developing countries revisited
by Baark, Erik
- 915-919 The Cuban sugar export dependency question: Premises and controversy
by Radell, Willard Jr.
- 921-926 The significance of access to land as a determinant of Kenya's interregional migration
by Rodgers, William M.
1991, Volume 19, Issue 6
- 569-594 How significant are externalities for development?
by Stewart, Frances & Ghani, Ejaz
- 595-605 A proposal for using incentive precommitments in public enterprise funding
by Kumar Sah, Raaj & Weitsman, Martin L.
- 607-621 Sustainable development: A critical review
by Lele, Sharachchandra M.
- 623-636 Regulation with growth: The political economy of palm oil in Malaysia
by Pletcher, James
- 637-649 Economic reform and armed conflict in Mozambique
by Kyle, Steven
- 651-670 A reassessment of Kenya's rural and urban informal sector
by Livingstone, Ian
- 671-682 Workers' response to job loss: Female and male industrial workers in Brazil
by Hirata, Helena & Humphrey, John
- 683-696 Profits from self-employment: The case of Cote d'Ivoire
by Vijverberg, Wim P. M.
- 697-703 Institutional linkages for different types of agricultural technologies: Rice in the Eastern Plains of Colombia
by Alfonso Agudelo, Luis & Kaimowitz, David
- 705-709 An examination of the objectives of monetary policy in four developing economies
by Joyce, Joseph P.
- 711-717 Dutch disease economics and oil syndrome: An empirical study
by Fardmanesh, Mohsen
- 719-727 Income convergence and divergence within and between LDC groups
by Zind, Richard G.
- 729-733 Effects of exchange rate variability on inflation variability
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen
- 735-740 The Bertrand critique of the role of the United Nations in the economic and social fields
by Dell, Sidney S.
1991, Volume 19, Issue 5
- 399-409 Life in a dual system revisited: Urban-rural ties in Enugu, Nigeria, 1961-87
by Gugler, Josef
- 411-434 Adjustment and development in Latin America: The failure of Peruvian Heterodoxy, 1985-90
by Paus, Eva A.
- 435-455 Poverty and distorted industrialization in the Brazilian Northeast
by Goldsmith, William W. & Wilson, Robert
- 457-483 Toward development ethics
by Crocker, David A.
- 485-496 Open borders: A global-humanist approach to the refugee crisis
by Gurtov, Mel
- 497-510 Official finance requirements in the 1990s
by Lensink, Robert & Van Bergeijk, Peter A. G.
- 511-532 Capital market development in China
by Tam, On Kit
- 533-538 Money creation and financial liberalization in a socialist banking system: Tanzania 1983-88
by Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem
- 539-551 GSTP tariff reduction and its effects on south-south trade in manufactures
by Linnemann, Hans & Verbruggen, Harmen
- 553-568 Technology exports from a small, very open NIC: The case of Singapore
by Hill, Hal & Pang Eng Fong
1991, Volume 19, Issue 4
- 287-300 Development narratives, or making the best of blueprint development
by Roe, Emery M.
- 301-316 Depopulating the compounds: Migrant labor and mine housing in South Africa
by Crush, Jonathan & James, Wilmot
- 317-332 Global trends in real exchange rates 1960-1984
by Wood, Adrian
- 333-340 Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965
by Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W.
- 341-347 Foreign exchange and industrial development: A frontier production function analysis of two Tanzanian industries
by Mbelle, Ammon & Sterner, Thomas
- 349-362 Licensing in a newly industrializing country: The case of Greek manufacturing
by Giannitsis, Tassos
- 363-374 The strategic orientations of firms and the performance of Korea and Taiwan in frontier industries: Lessons from comparative case studies of keyboard and personal computer assembly
by Levy, Brian & Kuo, Wen-Jeng
- 375-397 Semiconductor technology and the newly industrializing countries: The diffusion of ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits)
by Hobday, Michael
1991, Volume 19, Issue 2-3
- 137-161 Pockets of peasants in Indonesian cities: The case of scavengers
by Sicular, Daniel T.
- 163-177 Female wage labor in rural Zimbabwe
by Adams, Jennifer M.
- 179-198 A study of water vending and willingness to pay for water in Onitsha, Nigeria
by Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Mu, Xinming
- 199-211 Grass-roots development in rural Thailand: A lost cause?
by Rigg, Jonathan
- 213-223 Examining the roots of educational demand: The case supporting rural agrarian development
by Hughes, Rees
- 225-243 Classical political economists and Marx on colonialism and "backward' nations
by Larrain, Jorge
- 245-254 Debt, deficits and dollars: The world economy in 3-D
by Bird, Graham
- 255-262 The "Gulliver effect" and the "optimal divergence" approach to trade policies: The case of nepal
by Blejer, Mario I. & Szapary, Gyorgy
- 263-273 Convergence of South Korean productivity on West German levels, 1966-1978
by Dollar, David
- 275-285 Determinants of foreign direct investment in Taiwan: An alternative approach with time-series data
by Tsai, Pan-Long
1991, Volume 19, Issue 1
- 1-15 Introduction
by Goodwin, Neva R.
- 17-30 The integrative revolution revisited
by Hoben, Allan & Hefner, Robert
- 31-44 The breakdown of connections and modern development
by Mazlish, Bruce
- 45-54 Global development and personal dependency: The high cost of doing well
by Meyers, Allan R.
- 55-64 The new global players: How they compete and collaborate
by Morss, Elliott R.
- 65-71 The third sector in the second world
by Starr, Frederick
- 73-84 Global equity and environmental crisis: An argument for reducing working hours in the North
by Schor, Juliet B.
- 85-102 Lessons for the world from US agriculture: Unbundling technology
by Goodwin, Neva R.
- 103-110 Protecting the global environment: An immodest proposal
by Dorfman, Robert
- 111-122 Global institutions and ecological crisis
by M. Harris, Jonathan
- 123-133 Global prospects in an interdependent world
by Streeten, Paul
1990, Volume 18, Issue 12
- 1599-1619 The demo-economic impact of the AIDS pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa
by Becker, Charles M.
- 1621-1634 Structural adjustment in Africa: Insights from the experiences of Ghana and Senegal
by Weissman, Stephen R.
- 1635-1653 The impact of export crop production on nutritional status in Cote d'Ivoire
by Sahn, David E.
- 1655-1669 The secondary market and the international debt problem
by Anayiotos, George & de Pinies, Jaime
- 1671-1677 The debt laffer curve: Some estimates
by Claessens, Stijn
- 1679-1691 Transideological collaboration and East-West- South economic relations
by Berrios, Ruben
- 1693-1701 Science and technology in India's search for a sustainable and equitable future
by Parthasarathi, Ashok
- 1703-1710 The next plan after Brady?
by Faber, Mike
1990, Volume 18, Issue 11
- 1429-1443 Science, technology, and policy in the periphery: A perspective from the centre
by Rath, Amitav
- 1445-1456 Choice of technique revisited: A critical review of the theoretical underpinnings
by Egea, Alejandro Nadal
- 1457-1469 Technical change in Latin American manufacturing firms: Review and synthesis
by Herbert-Copley, Brent
- 1471-1480 Technology policy in sub-Saharan Africa: Why the dream remains unfulfilled
by Vitta, Paul B.
- 1481-1499 A multiple source of innovation model of agricultural research and technology promotion
by Biggs, Stephen D.
- 1501-1511 Technological capacity and aborted industrialization in Ghana: The case of Bonsa Tyre Company
by Adei, Stephen
- 1513-1528 Technical change and industrial policy: The case of truck manufacturing in Turkey
by Ansal, Hacer K.
- 1529-1542 Canadian technology transfer to developing countries through small and medium-size enterprises
by Niosi, Jorge & Rivard, Jacques
- 1543-1553 O inventamos o erramos: The power of science in Latin America
by Vessuri, Hebe M. C.
- 1555-1567 From standardization to relevance and back again: Science and technology indicators in small, peripheral countries
by Argenti, Gisela & Filgueira, Carlos & Sutz, Judith
- 1569-1585 Environmental and technological degradation in peasant agriculture: A consequence of development in Mexico
by Garcia-Barrio, Raul & Garcia-Barrios, Luis
- 1587-1598 Software industry: An opportunity for Latin America?
by Maria Correa, Carlos
1990, Volume 18, Issue 10
- 1309-1323 How beautiful is small? Scale, control and success in Kenyan irrigation
by Adams, W. M.
- 1325-1342 Economic crisis, adjustment and living standards in Mexico, 1982-85
by Lustig, Nora
- 1343-1350 An overview of Turkey's experience with economic liberalization and structural adjustment
by Aricanli, Tosun & Rodrik, Dani
- 1351-1362 Technology and exports: The case of the Turkish manufacturing industries
by Kirim, Arman
- 1363-1378 An updating country study: Thailand's needs and prospects in the 1990s
by Lewis, John P. & Kapur, Devesh
- 1379-1400 Transfers, secular deflation, and the enigma of the Indian economy, 1860-1900
by Banerji, Arun Kumar
- 1401-1411 Paraprojects as new modes of international development assistance
by Uphoff, Norman
- 1413-1419 Feasible planning in a poor country: A Utopian postscript to a country case study
by Coulson, Andrew
- 1421-1427 Book note
by Gran, Guy
1990, Volume 18, Issue 9
- 1191-1205 Smokestacks in the rainforest: Industrial development and deforestation in the Amazon basin
by Anderson, Anthony B.
- 1207-1219 Structural adjustment, agricultural development and the poor: Some lessons from the Malawian experience
by Lele, Uma
- 1221-1230 Growth of the capital goods sector in India after the mid-1960s: An alternative view
by Pradhan, Gopinath