1994, Volume 22, Issue 3
- 323-335 Cartels in an "Nth-Best" world: The wholesale foodstuff trade in Ibadan, Nigeria
by Smith, Harlan II & Luttrell, Margaret E.
- 337-353 From mass production to flexible specialization: A case study of microeconomic change in a semi-industrialized economy
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 355-368 Are institutions or economic rents responsible for interindustry wage differentials?
by Morrison, Andrew R.
- 369-380 Unskilled urban migrant women and disguised employment: Home-working women in Istanbul, Turkey
by Cinar, E. Mine
- 381-397 A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica
by Rodriguez, Adrian G. & Smith, Stephen M.
- 399-411 Managing adjustment costs, political authority, and the implementation of adjustment programs, with special reference to African countries
by Johnson, Omotunde E. G.
- 413-422 The successful developmental state: Where does it come from?
by Grabowski, Richard
- 423-425 Introduction
by Lewis, Peter M.
- 427-436 The politics of profit in Tunisia: Utility of the rentier paradigm?
by Bellin, Eva
- 437-451 Economic statism, private capital, and the dilemmas of accumulation in Nigeria
by Lewis, Peter M.
- 453-467 Trade, taxes, and tribute: Market liberalizations and the new importers in West Africa
by Boone, Catherine
- 469-482 The failed Africanization of commerce and industry in Kenya
by Himbara, David
1994, Volume 22, Issue 2
- 129-143 Is the iron law of oligarchy rusting away in the Third World?
by Fisher, Julie
- 145-158 Economic and ecological perspectives on ranching in the Eastern Amazon
by Mattos, Marli Maria & Uhl, Christopher
- 159-173 Food security strategies under extremely adverse conditions: The determinants of household income and consumption in rural Mozambique
by Tschirley, David L. & Weber, Michael T.
- 175-187 Egalitarianism, subsistence provision, and work incentives in China's agricultural collectives
by Kung, James Kaising
- 189-199 Market-based early warning indicators of famine for the pastoral households of the Sahel
by Khan, M. Mahmud
- 201-213 Recent experience with commercial bank debt reduction: Has the "menu" outdone the market?
by Claessens, Stijn & Diwan, Ishac
- 215-223 Inflation and the demand for money in developing countries
by Honohan, Patrick
- 225-236 Management systems as technology: Japanese, US and national firms in the Brazilian electronic sector
by Bos, Antonio & Cole, William E.
- 237-250 Treasure islands or fool's gold: Can and should small island economies copy Jersey?
by Hampton, Mark P.
- 251-251 Preface
by Standing, Guy
- 253-260 Employment restructuring in Russian industry
by Standing, Guy
- 261-270 Labor market implications of "privatization" in Russian industry in 1992
by Standing, Guy
- 271-283 The changing position of women in Russian industry: Prospects of marginalization
by Standing, Guy
1994, Volume 22, Issue 1
- 1-9 The management of risk: Informal trade in Indonesia
by Evers, Hans-Dieter & Mehmet, Ozay
- 11-26 Industrial policy reform in six large newly industrializing countries: The resource curse thesis
by Auty, Richard M.
- 27-44 Japanese maquiladoras: Production organization and global commodity chains
by Kenney, Martin & Florida, Richard
- 45-53 Location-specific advantages and manufacturing direct foreign investment in South China
by Zhang, Le-Yin
- 55-70 Herbicide use in Asian rice production
by Naylor, Rosamond
- 71-83 Water markets, market reform and the urban poor: Results from Jakarta, Indonesia
by Crane, Randall
- 85-98 Balancing the budget with implicit domestic default: The case of Brazil in the 1980s
by Tanner, Evan
- 99-113 Empirical results of aid motivations: Australia's bilateral aid program
by Gounder, Rukmani
- 115-128 The real exchange rate conundrum: The case of Central America
by Fleissig, Adrian & Grennes, Thomas
1993, Volume 21, Issue 12
- 1895-1912 Economic liberalization, political pluralism and business associations in developing countries
by Moore, Mick & Hamalai, Ladi
- 1913-1930 Thinking strategically about development: A typology of action programs for global change
by Morgan, Elizabeth A. & Power, Grant D. & Weigel, Van B.
- 1931-1945 Toward a global effort to protect the earth's biological diversity
by Tobey, James A.
- 1947-1963 Doing what comes naturally? Women and environment in development
by Jackson, Cecile
- 1965-1980 Silences speak louder than claims: Gender, household, and agricultural development in Southern Africa
by Geisler, Gisela
- 1981-1988 Liberalization and privatization in Tanzania and Zambia
by Due, Jean M.
- 1989-2001 South-south technology transfer: The case of China's Kpatawee rice project in Liberia
by Brautigam, Deborah
- 2003-2016 Invisible hands, indigenous knowledge and inevitable fads: Challenges to public sector agricultural research in Ghana
by Tripp, Robert
- 2017-2028 Is Africa different?
by Conway, Patrick & Greene, Joshua
- 2029-2038 Political economy, growth and convergence in less-developed countries
by Chatterji, Monojit & Gilmore, Brian & Strunk, Kurt & Vanasin, Jon
- 2039-2054 Economic independence through protection? Emerging contradictions in India's small-scale sector
by Guhathakurta, Subhrajit
- 2055-2058 A comment on "the IMF, the World Bank and Africa's adjusment and extenal debt problems: An unofficial view"
by Husain, Ishrat
- 2059-2063 A reply
by Helleiner, G. K.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 11
- 1715-1728 Rural household transport in Africa: Reducing the burden on women?
by Bryceson, Deborah Fahy & Howe, John
- 1729-1748 Environmental issues and economic decisions in developing countries
by Munasinghe, Mohan
- 1749-1771 The economic rationale for investing in nutrition in developing countries
by Behrman, Jere R.
- 1773-1786 Development approaches and the role of policy advocacy: The case of the World Bank
by Kardam, Nuket
- 1787-1801 "Twenty-five years of Economic Development" revisited
by Rock, Michael T.
- 1803-1821 The meaning of development: Interactions between "new" and "old" ideas
by Ingham, Barbara
- 1823-1835 The postsocialist transitions in comparative perspective: Policy issues and recent experience
by Solimano, Andres
- 1837-1849 Promoting participation in irrigation: Reflections on experience in Southeast Asia
by Bruns, Bryan
- 1851-1865 Export Processing Zones in the Dominican Republic: Transforming manufactures into commodities
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 1867-1881 Financial liberalization in Africa
by Seck, Diery & El Nil, Yasim H.
- 1883-1893 Currency substitution: The recent experience of Bolivia
by Clements, Benedict & Schwartz, Gerd
1993, Volume 21, Issue 10
- 1567-1582 Tales of dissemination in small-farm agriculture: Lessons for institution builders
by Tendler, Judith
- 1583-1606 Has recovery begun? "Africa's adjustment in the 1980s" revisited
by Mosley, Paul & Weeks, John
- 1607-1613 Manufactured exports from developing countries and their terms of trade: A reexamination of the Sarkar-Singer results
by Athukorala, Premachandra
- 1615-1616 Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965: A comment
by Bleaney, Michael F.
- 1617-1620 Manufacture--manufacture terms of trade deterioration: A reply
by Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W.
- 1621-1631 External disturbances, domestic policy responses and debt accumulation in Nigeria
by Nyatepe-Coo, Akorlie A.
- 1633-1646 An approach to poverty alleviation for large international development agencies
by Clements, Paul
- 1647-1658 Panterritorial versus regional pricing for maize in Zimbabwe
by Masters, William A. & Nuppenau, Ernst-August
- 1659-1675 Soil erosion and labor shortages in the Andes with special reference to Bolivia, 1953ndash;1991: Implications for "conservation-with-development"
by Zimmerer, Karl S.
- 1677-1684 The nonprice determinants of export success or failure: The Egyptian ready-made garment industry, 1975-1989
by Abdel-Latif, Abla M.
- 1685-1697 Public sector banking, efficiency and economic growth in India
by Ketkar, Kusum W.
- 1699-1708 Nongovernmental organizations and the cultural development perspective in Thailand: A comment on Rigg (1991)
by Hewison, Kevin
- 1709-1713 A reply to Kevin Hewison
by Rigg, Jonathan
1993, Volume 21, Issue 9
- 1395-1404 Structural adjustment as a policy process: The case of Tanzania
by Hyden, Goran & Karlstrom, Bo
- 1405-1416 Development's deaf ear: Downstream users and water releases from the Bakolori Dam, Nigeria
by Adams, W. M.
- 1417-1434 Natural disaster situations and growth: A macroeconomic model for sudden disaster impacts
by Albala-Bertrand, J. M.
- 1435-1437 Measuring the effects of economic integration on third countries: A comment on Kreinin and Plummer
by Pomfret, Richard
- 1439-1439 A reply to Richard Pomfret's comment
by Kreinin, Mordechai E. & Plummer, Michael G.
- 1441-1445 Productivity in manufacturing as a determinant of growth: The Indian case
by Khatkhate, Deena
- 1447-1450 Editors' introduction
by Christiansen, Robert E. & Van Rooyen, Johan & Cooper, David
- 1451-1475 South African land policy: The legacy of history and current options
by Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus
- 1477-1494 Characteristics and performance of resettlement programs: A review
by Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P.
- 1495-1514 Agricultural marketing and pricing reform: A review of experience
by Duncan, Alex & Jones, Stephen
- 1515-1548 Creating rural livelihoods: Some lessons for South Africa from experience elsewhere
by Lipton, Michael & Lipton, Merle
- 1549-1566 Implementing strategies for the rural economy: Lessons from Zimbabwe, options for South Africa
by Christiansen, Robert E.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 8
- 1245-1261 Introduction: Some insights from Western social theory
by Whitehead, Laurence
- 1263-1269 A panoramic view of the rebirth of liberalisms
by Merquior, JoseGuilherme
- 1271-1280 Democracy and economic policy: Elective affinities and circumstantial conjunctures
by Gourevitch, Peter A.
- 1281-1298 Markets and states: Against minimalism
by Streeten, Paul
- 1299-1312 Liberalization and 'modern liberty': Four southern states
by Hawthorn, Geoffrey
- 1313-1328 T.H. Marshall, Jurgen Habermas, citizenship and transition in Eastern Europe
by Manning, Nick
- 1329-1336 Democracy and the "Washington consensus"
by Williamson, John
- 1337-1353 Economic reforms and cycles of state intervention
by Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos
- 1355-1369 On the state, democratization and some conceptual problems: A Latin American view with glances at some postcommunist countries
by O'Donnell, Guillermo
- 1371-1393 On "reform of the state" and "regulation of the market"
by Whitehead, Laurence
1993, Volume 21, Issue 7
- 1085-1100 Can land market reform mitigate the exclusionary aspects of rapid agro-export growth?
by Carter, Michael R. & Mesbah, Dina
- 1101-1121 The "new" internationalization of agriculture: A reformulation
by Raynolds, Laura T. & Myhre, David & McMichael, Philip & Carro-Figueroa, Viviana & Buttel, Frederick H.
- 1123-1138 Common property, equality, and development
by Quiggin, John
- 1139-1150 The role of nongovernmental organizations in agricultural research and technology transfer in Latin America
by Kaimowitz, David
- 1151-1161 Economic reform and political change in Myanmar (Burma)
by Cook, Paul & Minogue, Martin
- 1163-1178 Stabilization and recession in a transitional economy: The case of Poland
by Zukowski, Ryszard
- 1179-1189 Taxation in Niger: Problems and proposals
by Barlow, Robin & Snyder, Wayne
- 1191-1203 Domestic financial market and the trade liberalization outcome: Evidence from Sri Lanka
by Athukorala, Premachandra & Rajapatirana, Sarath
- 1205-1223 Urban self-employment in Kenya: Panacea or viable strategy?
by House, William J. & Ikiara, Gerrishon K. & McCormick, Dorothy
- 1225-1238 The diffusion of process innovations in industrialized and developing countries: A case study of the world textile and steel industries
by Lucke, Matthias
- 1239-1244 A note on the multilateral creditors and the debt crisis
by Culpeper, Roy
1993, Volume 21, Issue 6
- 883-899 Going to market: Economic organization and transformation in a Hungarian firm
by Young, S. David
- 901-923 Local government fiscal reform in developing countries: Lessons from Kenya
by Smoke, Paul
- 925-939 Formal and informal institutions in the labor market, with applications to the construction sector in Egypt
by Assaad, Ragui
- 941-961 One hundred million improved cookstoves in China: How was it done?
by Smith, Kirk R. & Shuhua, Gu & Kun, Huang & Daxiong, Qiu
- 963-973 The "five percent rule" for improved water service: Can households afford more?
by McPhail, Alexander A.
- 975-987 Maize milling, market reform and urban food security: The case of Zimbabwe
by Jayne, T. S. & Rubey, Lawrence
- 989-1005 The impact of financial autonomy on irrigation system performance in the Philippines
by Svendsen, Mark
- 1007-1021 Alternatives to coca production in Bolivia: A computable general equilibrium approach
by Gibson, Bill & Godoy, Ricardo
- 1023-1031 Purchasing power parity based on effective exchange rate and cointegration: 25 LDCs' experience with its absolute formulation
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen
- 1033-1034 Introduction
by Stein, Howard & Wilson, Ernest III
- 1035-1053 The political economy of Robert Bates: A critical reading of rational choice in Africa
by Stein, Howard & Wilson, Ernest III
- 1055-1062 Understanding agricultural policy in Africa: The contributions of Robert Bates
by Berry, Sara
- 1063-1076 Is "rational choice" the best choice for Robert Bates? An anthropologist's reading of Bates's work
by Peters, Pauline E.
- 1077-1081 A reply
by Bates, Robert H.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 5
- 691-704 Postimperialism and development in Thailand
by Doner, Richard F. & Ramsay, Ansil
- 705-719 Rural labor legislation and permanent agricultural employment in Northeastern Brazil
by Schaffner, Julie Anderson
- 721-731 The limits to informal financial intermediation
by Christensen, Garry
- 733-748 Household sanitation in Kumasi, Ghana: A description of current practices, attitudes, and perceptions
by Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Choe, Kyeongae & Hughes, Jeffrey A. & Swarna, Venkateswarlu & Wright, Albert M.
- 749-769 Liberalization and diversification in a small island economy: Fiji since the 1987 coups
by Elek, Andrew & Hill, Hal & Tabor, Steven R.
- 771-789 Irrigated rice culture in monsoon Asia: The search for an effective water control technology
by Burns, Robert E.
- 791-803 Land prices, land rents, and technological change: Evidence from Pakistan
by Renkow, Mitch
- 805-815 Calculating levels of protection: Is it always appropriate to use world reference prices based on current trading status?
by Byerlee, Derek & Morris, Michael L.
- 817-827 The employment effects of an income redistribution in developing countries
by James, Jeffrey & Khan, Haider A.
- 829-840 Can the Kuznets effect be relied on to induce equalizing growth?
by Randolph, Susan M. & Lott, William F.
- 841-859 Budgetary and financial policy potency amid structural bottlenecks: Evidence from Uganda
by Murinde, Victor
- 861-867 An economic analysis of debt swaps and case study of the Harvard debt for education swap
by Van der Meulen Rodgers, Yana
- 869-881 The World Bank and the environment: The World Development Report 1992
by Taylor, Lance
1993, Volume 21, Issue 4
- 489-507 Private investment and democracy in Latin America
by Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Hilt, Eric
- 509-521 Importance of foreign investment for the longrun economic development of the United Arab Emirates
by Farzi, Y. H.
- 523-533 Excess liquidity and monetary overhangs
by Carpio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick
- 535-554 Observational equivalence in the modeling of African labor markets and urbanization
by Becker, Charles M. & Morrison, Andrew R.
- 555-563 Differences in uses of rural financial markets in Taiwan and the Philippines
by Adams, Dale W & Chen, H. Y. & Lamberte, M. B.
- 565-575 Introduction
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Thorbecke, Erik
- 577-590 The rocky road to reform: Trade, industrial, financial, and agricultural strategies
by Taylor, Lance
- 591-605 Impact of state and civil institutions on the operation of rural market and nonmarket configurations
by Thorbecke, Erik
- 607-622 Grassroots organizations and NGOs in rural development: Opportunities with diminishing states and expanding markets
by Uphoff, Norman
- 623-632 Between state, markets and households: A neoinstitutional analysis of local organizations and institutions
by Nugent, Jeffrey B.
- 633-639 Analytics of the institutions of informal cooperation in rural development
by Bardhan, Pranab
- 641-657 Land reform as commenced business: The evidence against stopping
by Lipton, Michael
- 659-674 Market, state, and civil organizations in Latin America beyond the debt crisis: The context for rural development
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 675-689 State-market-civil institutions: The case of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Republics
by Rausser, Gordon C. & Johnson, S. R.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 3
- 319-330 Old debts and new beginnings: A policy choice in transitional socialist economies
by Levine, Ross & Scott, David
- 331-347 French support for structural adjustment programs in Africa
by Wilson, Ernest III
- 349-365 Public service, rural development and careers in public management: A case study of expatriate advising and African land reform
by Roe, Emery M.
- 367-377 Whose interests? Problems in planning for women's practical needs
by Alsop, Ruth
- 379-390 South Korea's 1980s financial reforms: Good-bye financial repression (maybe), hello new institutional restraints
by Amsden, Alice H. & Euh, Yoon-Dae
- 391-406 On the determinants of direct foreign investment: Evidence from East and Southeast Asia
by Lucas, Robert E. B.
- 407-419 The length of the infant industry period: Evidence from the engineering industry in South Korea
by Jacobsson, Staffan
- 421-428 A diffusion model of industrial sector growth in developing countries
by Clark, Don P. & Kaserman, David L. & Anantanasuwong, Darrarat
- 429-443 Production of edible oils for the masses and by the masses: The impact of the ram press in Tanzania
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 445-453 Local adoption of new forestry technologies: An example from Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province
by Amacher, Gregory S. & Hyde, William F. & Rafiq, Mohammed
- 455-464 Mortgage design under inflation and real wage uncertainty: The use of a dual index instrument
by Buckley, Robert & Lipman, Barbara & Persaud, Thakoor
- 465-473 The impact of oligopsony and taxation on the Haitian coffee economy
by Lopez, Rigoberto A. & You, Zhikang
- 475-487 Peasant policy within the Nicaraguan Agrarian Reform, 1979-89
by Martinez, Philip R.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 2
- 191-191 Acknowledgements
by Briguglio, Lino & Kaminarides, John
- 193-195 Introduction
by Briguglio, Lino & Kaminarides, John
- 197-202 The special problems of small countries
by Streeten, Paul
- 203-211 Country size and the medium-term growth process: Some cross-country evidence
by Milner, Chris & Westaway, Tony
- 213-219 Project appraisal, the environment and sustainability for small islands
by Tisdell, Clem
- 221-226 The special working environment of senior administrators in small states
by Farrugia, Charles
- 227-232 The effects of international debt on the economic development of small countries
by Kaminarides, John & Nissan, Edward
- 233-245 Economic development in the South Pacific promoting the private sector
by Cole, Rodney V.
- 247-258 Sustainability, aid, and material welfare in small south pacific island economies, 1900-1990
by Bertram, Geoffrey
- 259-268 Manufacturing exports, economic growth and the current account in a small island economy: simulation results from an econometric model for Cyprus
by Demetriades, P. & Al-Jebory, A. & Kamperis, G.
- 269-276 The terms of trade and the direction of trade in the maltese economy
by Briguglio, Lino
- 277-289 Tourism in the gambia: some issues in development policy
by Dieke, Peter U. C.
- 291-299 The repercussions of financial imbalances in Suriname
by Caram, A. R.
- 301-310 Uneven regional development and internal labor migration in Fiji
by Sofer, Michael
- 311-318 The role of transport costs as a determinant of price level differentials between the isle of man and the United Kingdom, 1989
by Armstrong, H. & Johnes, G. & Johnes, J. & Macbean, A.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 1
- 1-16 Productivity and industrial development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Pack, Howard
- 17-35 Cereals demand in the Sahel and potential impacts of regional cereals protection
by Reardon, Thomas
- 37-53 Tax advice to developing countries: An historical survey
by Goode, Richard
- 55-66 States, elites, and social welfare in Southeast Asia
by Crone, Donald K.
- 67-80 Workshops as domestic domains: Reflections on small-scale industry in Mexico
by Wilson, Fiona
- 81-91 Commercial sector wages and subsistence sector labor productivity in Guatemalan agriculture
by Schweigert, Thomas E.
- 93-107 Human responses to riverine hazards in Bangladesh: A proposal for sustainable floodplain development
by Emdad Haque, C. & Zaman, M. Q.
- 109-126 Drought, transfer entitlements, and income distribution: The Botswana experience
by Valentine, Theodore R.
- 127-140 Debt crisis, adjustment policies and capital formation in developing countries: Where do we stand?
by Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres
- 141-153 Economic crisis, structural adjustment and social crisis in Nigeria
by Ihonvbere, Julius O.
- 155-160 Exports as a factor of production: A consistency test
by Sheehey, Edmund J.
- 161-175 Dollar GNP estimates for Central and Eastern Europe 1970-90: a survey and a comparison with Western countries
by Lancieri, Elio
- 177-187 Canada's demand for Third World highly trained immigrants: 1976-86
by Akbar, Sajjad & Devoretz, Don J.
1992, Volume 20, Issue 12
- 1703-1719 Performance and potential of information technology: An international perspective
by Mody, Ashoka & Dahlman, Carl
- 1721-1736 Information technology and competitive advantage: Lessons from the developed countries
by Cane, Alan
- 1737-1752 Informatics in Africa: Lessons from World Bank experience
by Moussa, Antoun & Schware, Robert
- 1753-1768 Use and impact of information technology in Indonesian commercial banks
by McKendrick, David
- 1769-1784 Banking automation and productivity change: The Brazilian experience
by Frischtak, Claudio
- 1785-1795 The use of information technology by the port of Singapore authority
by Wan, Tan Boon & Wah, Eric Lui Chew & Meng, Loh Chee
- 1797-1816 Keeping pace with change: Organizational and technological imperatives
by Mody, Ashoka & Suri, Rajan & Sanders, Jerry
- 1817-1828 Exploiting information technology: A case study of Singapore
by Hon, Wong Seng
- 1829-1841 Korean telecommunications development: Achievements and cautionary lessons
by Kim, Cae-One & Kim, Young Kon & Yoon, Chang-Bun
- 1843-1857 Internationalization of information technology services and public policy implications
by Ducatel, Ken & Miles, Ian
1992, Volume 20, Issue 11
- 1547-1560 Accounting for women's work: the progress of two decades
by Beneria, Lourdes
- 1561-1571 Financial services for microenterprises: Principles and institutions
by Rhyne, Elisabeth & Otero, Maria
- 1573-1585 Economic environments and differentiation: A comparative study of informal sector economies in Nigeria
by Anheier, Helmut K.
- 1587-1597 Aid and the Dutch disease: Macroeconomic management when everybody loves you
by Younger, Stephen D.