1993, Volume 21, Issue 11
- 1823-1835 The postsocialist transitions in comparative perspective: Policy issues and recent experience
by Solimano, Andres
- 1837-1849 Promoting participation in irrigation: Reflections on experience in Southeast Asia
by Bruns, Bryan
- 1851-1865 Export Processing Zones in the Dominican Republic: Transforming manufactures into commodities
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 1867-1881 Financial liberalization in Africa
by Seck, Diery & El Nil, Yasim H.
- 1883-1893 Currency substitution: The recent experience of Bolivia
by Clements, Benedict & Schwartz, Gerd
1993, Volume 21, Issue 10
- 1567-1582 Tales of dissemination in small-farm agriculture: Lessons for institution builders
by Tendler, Judith
- 1583-1606 Has recovery begun? "Africa's adjustment in the 1980s" revisited
by Mosley, Paul & Weeks, John
- 1607-1613 Manufactured exports from developing countries and their terms of trade: A reexamination of the Sarkar-Singer results
by Athukorala, Premachandra
- 1615-1616 Manufactured exports of developing countries and their terms of trade since 1965: A comment
by Bleaney, Michael F.
- 1617-1620 Manufacture--manufacture terms of trade deterioration: A reply
by Sarkar, Prabirjit & Singer, H. W.
- 1621-1631 External disturbances, domestic policy responses and debt accumulation in Nigeria
by Nyatepe-Coo, Akorlie A.
- 1633-1646 An approach to poverty alleviation for large international development agencies
by Clements, Paul
- 1647-1658 Panterritorial versus regional pricing for maize in Zimbabwe
by Masters, William A. & Nuppenau, Ernst-August
- 1659-1675 Soil erosion and labor shortages in the Andes with special reference to Bolivia, 1953ndash;1991: Implications for "conservation-with-development"
by Zimmerer, Karl S.
- 1677-1684 The nonprice determinants of export success or failure: The Egyptian ready-made garment industry, 1975-1989
by Abdel-Latif, Abla M.
- 1685-1697 Public sector banking, efficiency and economic growth in India
by Ketkar, Kusum W.
- 1699-1708 Nongovernmental organizations and the cultural development perspective in Thailand: A comment on Rigg (1991)
by Hewison, Kevin
- 1709-1713 A reply to Kevin Hewison
by Rigg, Jonathan
1993, Volume 21, Issue 9
- 1395-1404 Structural adjustment as a policy process: The case of Tanzania
by Hyden, Goran & Karlstrom, Bo
- 1405-1416 Development's deaf ear: Downstream users and water releases from the Bakolori Dam, Nigeria
by Adams, W. M.
- 1417-1434 Natural disaster situations and growth: A macroeconomic model for sudden disaster impacts
by Albala-Bertrand, J. M.
- 1435-1437 Measuring the effects of economic integration on third countries: A comment on Kreinin and Plummer
by Pomfret, Richard
- 1439-1439 A reply to Richard Pomfret's comment
by Kreinin, Mordechai E. & Plummer, Michael G.
- 1441-1445 Productivity in manufacturing as a determinant of growth: The Indian case
by Khatkhate, Deena
- 1447-1450 Editors' introduction
by Christiansen, Robert E. & Van Rooyen, Johan & Cooper, David
- 1451-1475 South African land policy: The legacy of history and current options
by Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus
- 1477-1494 Characteristics and performance of resettlement programs: A review
by Kinsey, Bill H. & Binswanger, Hans P.
- 1495-1514 Agricultural marketing and pricing reform: A review of experience
by Duncan, Alex & Jones, Stephen
- 1515-1548 Creating rural livelihoods: Some lessons for South Africa from experience elsewhere
by Lipton, Michael & Lipton, Merle
- 1549-1566 Implementing strategies for the rural economy: Lessons from Zimbabwe, options for South Africa
by Christiansen, Robert E.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 8
- 1245-1261 Introduction: Some insights from Western social theory
by Whitehead, Laurence
- 1263-1269 A panoramic view of the rebirth of liberalisms
by Merquior, JoseGuilherme
- 1271-1280 Democracy and economic policy: Elective affinities and circumstantial conjunctures
by Gourevitch, Peter A.
- 1281-1298 Markets and states: Against minimalism
by Streeten, Paul
- 1299-1312 Liberalization and 'modern liberty': Four southern states
by Hawthorn, Geoffrey
- 1313-1328 T.H. Marshall, Jurgen Habermas, citizenship and transition in Eastern Europe
by Manning, Nick
- 1329-1336 Democracy and the "Washington consensus"
by Williamson, John
- 1337-1353 Economic reforms and cycles of state intervention
by Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos
- 1355-1369 On the state, democratization and some conceptual problems: A Latin American view with glances at some postcommunist countries
by O'Donnell, Guillermo
- 1371-1393 On "reform of the state" and "regulation of the market"
by Whitehead, Laurence
1993, Volume 21, Issue 7
- 1085-1100 Can land market reform mitigate the exclusionary aspects of rapid agro-export growth?
by Carter, Michael R. & Mesbah, Dina
- 1101-1121 The "new" internationalization of agriculture: A reformulation
by Raynolds, Laura T. & Myhre, David & McMichael, Philip & Carro-Figueroa, Viviana & Buttel, Frederick H.
- 1123-1138 Common property, equality, and development
by Quiggin, John
- 1139-1150 The role of nongovernmental organizations in agricultural research and technology transfer in Latin America
by Kaimowitz, David
- 1151-1161 Economic reform and political change in Myanmar (Burma)
by Cook, Paul & Minogue, Martin
- 1163-1178 Stabilization and recession in a transitional economy: The case of Poland
by Zukowski, Ryszard
- 1179-1189 Taxation in Niger: Problems and proposals
by Barlow, Robin & Snyder, Wayne
- 1191-1203 Domestic financial market and the trade liberalization outcome: Evidence from Sri Lanka
by Athukorala, Premachandra & Rajapatirana, Sarath
- 1205-1223 Urban self-employment in Kenya: Panacea or viable strategy?
by House, William J. & Ikiara, Gerrishon K. & McCormick, Dorothy
- 1225-1238 The diffusion of process innovations in industrialized and developing countries: A case study of the world textile and steel industries
by Lucke, Matthias
- 1239-1244 A note on the multilateral creditors and the debt crisis
by Culpeper, Roy
1993, Volume 21, Issue 6
- 883-899 Going to market: Economic organization and transformation in a Hungarian firm
by Young, S. David
- 901-923 Local government fiscal reform in developing countries: Lessons from Kenya
by Smoke, Paul
- 925-939 Formal and informal institutions in the labor market, with applications to the construction sector in Egypt
by Assaad, Ragui
- 941-961 One hundred million improved cookstoves in China: How was it done?
by Smith, Kirk R. & Shuhua, Gu & Kun, Huang & Daxiong, Qiu
- 963-973 The "five percent rule" for improved water service: Can households afford more?
by McPhail, Alexander A.
- 975-987 Maize milling, market reform and urban food security: The case of Zimbabwe
by Jayne, T. S. & Rubey, Lawrence
- 989-1005 The impact of financial autonomy on irrigation system performance in the Philippines
by Svendsen, Mark
- 1007-1021 Alternatives to coca production in Bolivia: A computable general equilibrium approach
by Gibson, Bill & Godoy, Ricardo
- 1023-1031 Purchasing power parity based on effective exchange rate and cointegration: 25 LDCs' experience with its absolute formulation
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen
- 1033-1034 Introduction
by Stein, Howard & Wilson, Ernest III
- 1035-1053 The political economy of Robert Bates: A critical reading of rational choice in Africa
by Stein, Howard & Wilson, Ernest III
- 1055-1062 Understanding agricultural policy in Africa: The contributions of Robert Bates
by Berry, Sara
- 1063-1076 Is "rational choice" the best choice for Robert Bates? An anthropologist's reading of Bates's work
by Peters, Pauline E.
- 1077-1081 A reply
by Bates, Robert H.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 5
- 691-704 Postimperialism and development in Thailand
by Doner, Richard F. & Ramsay, Ansil
- 705-719 Rural labor legislation and permanent agricultural employment in Northeastern Brazil
by Schaffner, Julie Anderson
- 721-731 The limits to informal financial intermediation
by Christensen, Garry
- 733-748 Household sanitation in Kumasi, Ghana: A description of current practices, attitudes, and perceptions
by Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Choe, Kyeongae & Hughes, Jeffrey A. & Swarna, Venkateswarlu & Wright, Albert M.
- 749-769 Liberalization and diversification in a small island economy: Fiji since the 1987 coups
by Elek, Andrew & Hill, Hal & Tabor, Steven R.
- 771-789 Irrigated rice culture in monsoon Asia: The search for an effective water control technology
by Burns, Robert E.
- 791-803 Land prices, land rents, and technological change: Evidence from Pakistan
by Renkow, Mitch
- 805-815 Calculating levels of protection: Is it always appropriate to use world reference prices based on current trading status?
by Byerlee, Derek & Morris, Michael L.
- 817-827 The employment effects of an income redistribution in developing countries
by James, Jeffrey & Khan, Haider A.
- 829-840 Can the Kuznets effect be relied on to induce equalizing growth?
by Randolph, Susan M. & Lott, William F.
- 841-859 Budgetary and financial policy potency amid structural bottlenecks: Evidence from Uganda
by Murinde, Victor
- 861-867 An economic analysis of debt swaps and case study of the Harvard debt for education swap
by Van der Meulen Rodgers, Yana
- 869-881 The World Bank and the environment: The World Development Report 1992
by Taylor, Lance
1993, Volume 21, Issue 4
- 489-507 Private investment and democracy in Latin America
by Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Hilt, Eric
- 509-521 Importance of foreign investment for the longrun economic development of the United Arab Emirates
by Farzi, Y. H.
- 523-533 Excess liquidity and monetary overhangs
by Carpio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick
- 535-554 Observational equivalence in the modeling of African labor markets and urbanization
by Becker, Charles M. & Morrison, Andrew R.
- 555-563 Differences in uses of rural financial markets in Taiwan and the Philippines
by Adams, Dale W & Chen, H. Y. & Lamberte, M. B.
- 565-575 Introduction
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Thorbecke, Erik
- 577-590 The rocky road to reform: Trade, industrial, financial, and agricultural strategies
by Taylor, Lance
- 591-605 Impact of state and civil institutions on the operation of rural market and nonmarket configurations
by Thorbecke, Erik
- 607-622 Grassroots organizations and NGOs in rural development: Opportunities with diminishing states and expanding markets
by Uphoff, Norman
- 623-632 Between state, markets and households: A neoinstitutional analysis of local organizations and institutions
by Nugent, Jeffrey B.
- 633-639 Analytics of the institutions of informal cooperation in rural development
by Bardhan, Pranab
- 641-657 Land reform as commenced business: The evidence against stopping
by Lipton, Michael
- 659-674 Market, state, and civil organizations in Latin America beyond the debt crisis: The context for rural development
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth
- 675-689 State-market-civil institutions: The case of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Republics
by Rausser, Gordon C. & Johnson, S. R.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 3
- 319-330 Old debts and new beginnings: A policy choice in transitional socialist economies
by Levine, Ross & Scott, David
- 331-347 French support for structural adjustment programs in Africa
by Wilson, Ernest III
- 349-365 Public service, rural development and careers in public management: A case study of expatriate advising and African land reform
by Roe, Emery M.
- 367-377 Whose interests? Problems in planning for women's practical needs
by Alsop, Ruth
- 379-390 South Korea's 1980s financial reforms: Good-bye financial repression (maybe), hello new institutional restraints
by Amsden, Alice H. & Euh, Yoon-Dae
- 391-406 On the determinants of direct foreign investment: Evidence from East and Southeast Asia
by Lucas, Robert E. B.
- 407-419 The length of the infant industry period: Evidence from the engineering industry in South Korea
by Jacobsson, Staffan
- 421-428 A diffusion model of industrial sector growth in developing countries
by Clark, Don P. & Kaserman, David L. & Anantanasuwong, Darrarat
- 429-443 Production of edible oils for the masses and by the masses: The impact of the ram press in Tanzania
by Hyman, Eric L.
- 445-453 Local adoption of new forestry technologies: An example from Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province
by Amacher, Gregory S. & Hyde, William F. & Rafiq, Mohammed
- 455-464 Mortgage design under inflation and real wage uncertainty: The use of a dual index instrument
by Buckley, Robert & Lipman, Barbara & Persaud, Thakoor
- 465-473 The impact of oligopsony and taxation on the Haitian coffee economy
by Lopez, Rigoberto A. & You, Zhikang
- 475-487 Peasant policy within the Nicaraguan Agrarian Reform, 1979-89
by Martinez, Philip R.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 2
- 191-191 Acknowledgements
by Briguglio, Lino & Kaminarides, John
- 193-195 Introduction
by Briguglio, Lino & Kaminarides, John
- 197-202 The special problems of small countries
by Streeten, Paul
- 203-211 Country size and the medium-term growth process: Some cross-country evidence
by Milner, Chris & Westaway, Tony
- 213-219 Project appraisal, the environment and sustainability for small islands
by Tisdell, Clem
- 221-226 The special working environment of senior administrators in small states
by Farrugia, Charles
- 227-232 The effects of international debt on the economic development of small countries
by Kaminarides, John & Nissan, Edward
- 233-245 Economic development in the South Pacific promoting the private sector
by Cole, Rodney V.
- 247-258 Sustainability, aid, and material welfare in small south pacific island economies, 1900-1990
by Bertram, Geoffrey
- 259-268 Manufacturing exports, economic growth and the current account in a small island economy: simulation results from an econometric model for Cyprus
by Demetriades, P. & Al-Jebory, A. & Kamperis, G.
- 269-276 The terms of trade and the direction of trade in the maltese economy
by Briguglio, Lino
- 277-289 Tourism in the gambia: some issues in development policy
by Dieke, Peter U. C.
- 291-299 The repercussions of financial imbalances in Suriname
by Caram, A. R.
- 301-310 Uneven regional development and internal labor migration in Fiji
by Sofer, Michael
- 311-318 The role of transport costs as a determinant of price level differentials between the isle of man and the United Kingdom, 1989
by Armstrong, H. & Johnes, G. & Johnes, J. & Macbean, A.
1993, Volume 21, Issue 1
- 1-16 Productivity and industrial development in sub-Saharan Africa
by Pack, Howard
- 17-35 Cereals demand in the Sahel and potential impacts of regional cereals protection
by Reardon, Thomas
- 37-53 Tax advice to developing countries: An historical survey
by Goode, Richard
- 55-66 States, elites, and social welfare in Southeast Asia
by Crone, Donald K.
- 67-80 Workshops as domestic domains: Reflections on small-scale industry in Mexico
by Wilson, Fiona
- 81-91 Commercial sector wages and subsistence sector labor productivity in Guatemalan agriculture
by Schweigert, Thomas E.
- 93-107 Human responses to riverine hazards in Bangladesh: A proposal for sustainable floodplain development
by Emdad Haque, C. & Zaman, M. Q.
- 109-126 Drought, transfer entitlements, and income distribution: The Botswana experience
by Valentine, Theodore R.
- 127-140 Debt crisis, adjustment policies and capital formation in developing countries: Where do we stand?
by Serven, Luis & Solimano, Andres
- 141-153 Economic crisis, structural adjustment and social crisis in Nigeria
by Ihonvbere, Julius O.
- 155-160 Exports as a factor of production: A consistency test
by Sheehey, Edmund J.
- 161-175 Dollar GNP estimates for Central and Eastern Europe 1970-90: a survey and a comparison with Western countries
by Lancieri, Elio
- 177-187 Canada's demand for Third World highly trained immigrants: 1976-86
by Akbar, Sajjad & Devoretz, Don J.
1992, Volume 20, Issue 12
- 1703-1719 Performance and potential of information technology: An international perspective
by Mody, Ashoka & Dahlman, Carl
- 1721-1736 Information technology and competitive advantage: Lessons from the developed countries
by Cane, Alan
- 1737-1752 Informatics in Africa: Lessons from World Bank experience
by Moussa, Antoun & Schware, Robert
- 1753-1768 Use and impact of information technology in Indonesian commercial banks
by McKendrick, David
- 1769-1784 Banking automation and productivity change: The Brazilian experience
by Frischtak, Claudio
- 1785-1795 The use of information technology by the port of Singapore authority
by Wan, Tan Boon & Wah, Eric Lui Chew & Meng, Loh Chee
- 1797-1816 Keeping pace with change: Organizational and technological imperatives
by Mody, Ashoka & Suri, Rajan & Sanders, Jerry
- 1817-1828 Exploiting information technology: A case study of Singapore
by Hon, Wong Seng
- 1829-1841 Korean telecommunications development: Achievements and cautionary lessons
by Kim, Cae-One & Kim, Young Kon & Yoon, Chang-Bun
- 1843-1857 Internationalization of information technology services and public policy implications
by Ducatel, Ken & Miles, Ian
1992, Volume 20, Issue 11
- 1547-1560 Accounting for women's work: the progress of two decades
by Beneria, Lourdes
- 1561-1571 Financial services for microenterprises: Principles and institutions
by Rhyne, Elisabeth & Otero, Maria
- 1573-1585 Economic environments and differentiation: A comparative study of informal sector economies in Nigeria
by Anheier, Helmut K.
- 1587-1597 Aid and the Dutch disease: Macroeconomic management when everybody loves you
by Younger, Stephen D.
- 1599-1616 The performance of the labor market during recession and structural adjustment: Costa Rica in the 1980s
by Gindling, T. H. & Berry, Albert
- 1617-1630 Farmer's rights and genetic conservation in traditional farming systems
by Brush, Stephen B.
- 1631-1645 The causes of Africa's food crisis
by Jaeger, William K.
- 1647-1661 The geographic allocation of the European development fund under the Lome Conventions
by Anyadike-Danes, M. K. & Anyadike-Danes, M. N.
- 1663-1674 Multilateral assistance and sustainable development: The case of an IFAD project in the pastoral region of China
by Brown, Colin G. & Longworth, John W.
- 1675-1683 Gender differences in time and energy costs of distance for regular domestic chores in rural Zimbabwe: A case study in the Chiduku communal area
by Mehretu, Assefa & Mutambirwa, Chris
- 1685-1696 Agricultural research bias in Nicaragua: The case of beans
by Godoy, Ricardo & Hockenstein, Jeremy
- 1699-1702 A reply
by McGillivray, Mark
1992, Volume 20, Issue 10
- 1391-1400 Science, technology and the ecological future of Latin America
by Gallopin, Gilberto
- 1401-1422 Public participation and poverty alleviation: The experience of reform communists in India's West Bengal
by Echeverri-Gent, John
- 1423-1441 Adaptation and distress in the urban economy: A study of Kampala households
by Bigsten, Arne & Kayizzi-Mugerwa, Steve
- 1443-1461 Linkage, heterogeneity and income determinants in petty trading: The case of Calcutta
by Dasgupta, Nandini
- 1463-1470 Microenterprise credit programs: Deja vu
by Adams, Dale W & Von Pischke, J. D.
- 1471-1480 Exchange rates, trade liberalization and aid: The Sri Lankan experience
by White, Howard & Wignaraja, Ganeshan
- 1481-1488 Impact of foreign aid on the fiscal behavior of LDC governments
by Khan, Haider Ali & Hoshino, Eiichi
- 1489-1499 Development of financial markets and the size distribution of manufacturing establishments: International comparisons
by Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Nabli, Mustapha K.
- 1501-1514 A critical evaluation of exchange rate policy in Turkey
by Asikoglu, Yaman & Uctum, Merih
- 1515-1529 Liberalizing foreign direct investment regimes: The vestigial screen
by Wint, Alvin G.
- 1531-1540 The Paraguayan agro-export model of development
by Weisskoff, Richard
- 1541-1546 Economics and anthropology: Grounding models in relationships
by Lipton, Michael
1992, Volume 20, Issue 9
- 1225-1232 Industrialization and its manifold discontents: West, East and South
by Hirschman, Albert O.
- 1233-1251 The politics of protecting the poor during adjustment: Bolivia's emergency social fund
by Graham, Carol
- 1253-1260 Foreign aid in a period of democratization: The case of politically autonomous food funds
by Hyden, Goran & Reutlinger, Shlomo
- 1261-1277 The role of the intellectual in economic development: A constitutional perspective
by Lowenberg, Anton D. & Yu, Ben T.
- 1279-1303 Death rates, life expentancy and China's economic reforms: A critique of A.K. Sen
by Nolan, Peter & Sender, John
- 1305-1312 Life and death in China: A reply
by Sen, Amartya
- 1313-1323 A successful failure: Integrated rural development in Zambia
by Fenichel, Allen & Smith, Bruce
- 1325-1334 Response of the equilibrium real exchange rate to real disturbances in developing countries
by Khan, Mohsin S. & Ostry, Jonathan D.
- 1335-1344 What happens to investment under structural adjustment: Results from a simulation model
by Benjamin, Nancy C.
- 1345-1366 Effects of economic integration in industrial countries on ASEAN and the Asian NIEs
by Kreinin, Mordechai E. & Plummer, Michael G.
- 1367-1375 Real or illusory growth in an oil-based economy: Government expenditures and private sector investment in Saudi Arabia
by Looney, Robert E.
- 1377-1389 Small firm "presence" in Indian manufacturing
by Gang, Ira N.
1992, Volume 20, Issue 8
- 1077-1085 Household food security and child nutrition: the interaction of income and gender of household head
by Kennedy, Eileen & Peters, Pauline
- 1087-1099 Reform without revolt: the political economy of economic reform in the Gambia
by Radelet, Steven
- 1101-1113 Short-term resource mobilization for recurrent financing of rural local governments in Tanzania
by Therkildsen, Ole & Semboja, Joseph
- 1115-1126 A step back as donors shift institution building from the public to the "private" sector
by Meyer, Carrie A.
- 1127-1144 Sustainable agricultural development in China
by Xu, Cheng & Chunru, Han & Taylor, Donald C.
- 1145-1158 Taxing tourism in developing countries
by Bird, Richard M.
- 1159-1171 The NICs, global accumulation and uneven development: implications of a simple three- region model
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna
- 1173-1181 Effects of exchange rate risk on exports: crosscountry analysis
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ltaifa, Nabil
- 1183-1192 External debt, net transfers, and growth in developing countries
by Bacha, Edmar L.
- 1193-1207 Colombia's black market in foreign exchange
by Grosse, Robert
- 1209-1218 Migration from Nicaragua: some recent evidence
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 1219-1223 Variations on the basic needs yardstick: an application to Colombia
by Clavijo, Sergio
1992, Volume 20, Issue 7
- 921-945 Hunger and poverty in Iraq, 1991
by Dreze, Jean & Gazdar, Haris
- 947-958 Industrial systems and reform in North Korea: A comparison with China
by Kang, Myoung-Kyu & Lee, Keun
- 959-965 Alternative energy in the third world: A reappraisal of subsidies
by Desai, Ashok V.
- 967-977 Issues in irrigation pricing in developing countries
by Sampath, Rajan K.
- 979-989 What makes technology transfer? Small-scale hydropower in Nepal's public and private sectors
by Cromwell, Godfrey
- 991-1008 Labor costs and manufactured exports in developing countries: An econometric analysis
by Riveros, Luis A.
- 1009-1019 Pitfalls in the measurement of real exchange rate effects on agriculture
by Kyle, Steven
- 1021-1028 The static welfare economics of a small developing country's membership in a customs union: Botswana in the Southern African Customs Union
by Leith, J. Clark
- 1029-1045 Formalizing the informal sector in a changing South Africa: Small-scale manufacturing on the Witwatersrand
by Simon, David & Birch, Sarah L.