August 1995, Volume 23, Issue 8
- 1277-1289 Opportunism and NGOs: Entrepreneurship and green north-south transfers
by Meyer, Carrie A.
- 1291-1302 Democracy, gender and US foreign assistance: Guidelines and lessons
by Hirschmann, David
- 1303-1315 Performance measurement: Lessons learned for development management
by Cook, Thomas J. & Vansant, Jerry & Stewart, Leslie & Adrian, Jamie
- 1317-1334 Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?
by Deininger, Klaus
- 1335-1347 Tea estate rehabilitation in Tanzania
by Faber, Mike
- 1349-1362 NAFTA and Mexico's maize producers
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Anda, Gustavo Gordillo
- 1363-1374 Global and local subcontracting: Space, ethnicity, and the organization of apparel production
by Christerson, Brad & Appelbaum, Richard P.
- 1375-1385 Costs of entry and exit from financial markets and capital flows to developing countries
by Daveri, Francesco
- 1387-1399 Estimating the second economy in Tanzania
by Bagachwa, M. S. D. & Naho, A.
- 1401-1419 Consumption and poverty in Tanzania in 1976 and 1991: A comparison using survey data
by Sarris, Alexander H. & Tinios, Platon
- 1421-1438 The developmental state, government, and Singapore's economic development since 1960
by Huff, W. G.
- 1439-1458 The nature of minimum wages and their effectiveness as a wage floor in Costa Rica, 1976-1991
by Gindling, T. H. & Terrell, Katherine
July 1995, Volume 23, Issue 7
- 1073-1084 Are Integrated Conservation-Development Projects (ICDPs) Sustainable? On the conservation of large mammals in sub-Saharan Africa
by Barrett, Christopher B. & Arcese, Peter
- 1085-1102 Trees on farms in Malawi: Private investment, public policy, and farmer choice
by Dewees, Peter A.
- 1103-1114 Farm size and non traditional exports: Determinants of participation in world markets
by Collins, Jane L.
- 1115-1127 Incorporating finance into a modified subsector framework: The fertilizer subsector in The Gambia
by Nagarajan, Geetha & Meyer, Richard L.
- 1129-1141 Photovoltaic technology: Markets, economics, and rural development
by Erickson, Jon D. & Chapman, Duane
- 1143-1156 Making a market: Mass privatization in the Czech and Slovak Republics
by Shafik, Nemat
- 1157-1169 Reform strategies in transitional economies: Lessons from Asia
by Rana, Pradumna B.
- 1171-1193 East Asian latecomer firms: Learning the technology of electronics
by Hobday, Mike
- 1195-1214 Comparative advantage in manufacturing as a determinant of industrialization: The Korean case
by Lee, Jaimin
- 1215-1227 Returns to schooling in non-farm self-employment: An econometric case study of Ghana
by Vijverberg, Wim P. M.
- 1229-1245 Western European micro-states and EU autonomous regions: The advantages of size and sovereignty
by Armstrong, Harvey & Read, Robert
June 1995, Volume 23, Issue 6
- 881-896 The gender dimensions of economic adjustment policies: Potential interactions and evidence to date
by Haddad, Lawrence & Brown, Lynn R. & Richter, Andrea & Smith, Lisa
- 897-912 Governance structures and the durability of economic reforms: Evidence from inflation stabilizations
by Ball, Richard & Rausser, Gordon
- 913-926 Distortions in world food markets in the wake of GATT: Evidence and policy implications
by Valdes, Alberto & Zietz, Joachim
- 927-939 Fighting hunger at the grassroots: Paths to scaling up
by Uvin, Peter
- 941-957 Transforming rural hunters into conservationists: An assessment of community-based wildlife management programs in Africa
by Gibson, Clark C. & Marks, Stuart A.
- 959-973 Economic and ecological perspectives on agriculture in the Eastern Amazon
by Toniolo, Angelica & Uhl, Christopher
- 975-985 The transhipment problem: Smuggling and welfare in Paraguay
by Connely, Michael & Devereux, John & Cortes, Mariluz
- 987-1001 Foreign exchange reform in Iran: Badly designed, badly managed
by Farzin, Y. H.
- 1005-1005 Introduction
by Roe, Emery M.
- 1007-1021 Paradigms and politics: The cultural construction of environmental policy in Ethiopia
by Hoben, Allan
- 1023-1035 False forest history, complicit social analysis: Rethinking some West African environmental narratives
by Fairhead, James & Leach, Melissa
- 1037-1051 Environment, development, crisis, and crusade: Ukambani, Kenya, 1890-1990
by Rocheleau, Dianne E. & Steinberg, Philip E. & Benjamin, Patricia A.
- 1053-1063 Talking claims: Discursive strategies in contesting property
by Fortmann, Louise
- 1065-1069 Except-Africa: Postscript to a special section on development narratives
by Roe, Emery M.
May 1995, Volume 23, Issue 5
- 705-720 Waiting for change: Adjustment and reform in Cuba
by Pastor, Manuel Jr & Zimbalist, Andrew
- 721-734 Flexibility and economic progress
by Killick, Tony
- 735-750 Fiscal adjustment, financial liberalization, and the dynamics of inflation: Some evidence from Zambia
by Adam, Christopher
- 751-765 Macroeconomic policies and project performance in the social sectors: A model of human capital production and evidence from LDCs
by Kaufmann, Daniel & Wang, Yan
- 767-786 A framework for the analysis of evolving patron-client ties in agrarian economies
by Platteau, Jean-Philippe
- 787-804 Economic factors in farmer adoption of agroforestry: Patterns observed in Western Kenya
by Scherr, Sara J.
- 805-818 Zimbabwe's maize-based Green Revolution: Preconditions for replication
by Eicher, Carl K.
- 819-831 "Maize is life": Malawi's delayed Green Revolution
by Smale, Melinda
- 833-843 More than the politics of decentralization: Local government reform, district development and public administration in Zimbabwe
by Roe, Emery M.
- 845-855 Informal credit markets and economic development in Taiwan
by Tang, Shui-Yan
- 857-868 The crisis in South African gold mining
by Nattrass, Nicoli
- 869-879 Debt, dependence and the demographic Transition: Latin America in to the next century
by Taylor, Alan M.
April 1995, Volume 23, Issue 4
- 543-556 The nature of economic development
by Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider
- 557-575 Economic reform in developing countries: Some conceptual issues
by Sinha, Radha
- 577-592 A poverty-oriented cost-benefit approach to the analysis of development projects
by Clements, Paul
- 593-601 The state, popular participation, and the voluntary sector
by Clark, John
- 603-615 Commodity exports and the adding-up problem in LDCs: Trade, investment and lending policy
by Schiff, Maurice
- 617-635 Agricultural research effort: Conceptual clarity and measurement
by Rajeswari S.
- 637-649 Political commitment, institutional capacity and tax policy reform in Tanzania
by Morrissey, Oliver
- 651-661 Informal finance in Egypt: "Banks" within banks
by Baydas, Mayada M. & Bahloul, Zakaria & Adams, Dale W.
- 663-678 The Botswana share market and its role in financial and economic development
by Jefferis, Keith
- 679-690 Local government in Bangladesh: Past experiences and yet another try
by Westergaard, Kirsten & Alam, Muhammad Mustafa
- 691-703 The role of foreign direct investment in China's post-1978 economic development
by Chen, Chung & Chang, Lawrence & Zhang, Yimin
March 1995, Volume 23, Issue 3
- 357-369 Social integration and disintegration: An exploratory analysis of cross-country data
by Klitgaard, Robert & Fedderke, Johannes
- 371-384 Rotating and accumulating savings and credit associations: A development perspective
by Bouman, F. J. A.
- 385-400 Trickling down and scrambling up: The informal sector, food provisioning and local benefits of the Carajas mining "Growth Pole" in the Brazilian Amazon
by Roberts, J. Timmons
- 401-412 The economics of wheat research in developing countries: The one hundred million dollar puzzle
by Maredia, Mywish K. & Eicher, Carl K.
- 413-422 NGOs and seed provision to smallholders in developing countries
by Wiggins, Steve & Cromwell, Elizabeth
- 423-431 Innovation and imitation: Adoption of cocoa by Indonesian smallholders
by Pomp, Marc & Burger, Kees
- 433-448 Financial development and economic growth
by De Gregorio, Jose & Guidotti, Pablo E.
- 449-458 Economic growth in Africa
by Savvides, Andreas
- 459-468 Policies to encourage inflows of technology through foreign multinationals
by Kokko, Ari & Blomstrom, Magnus
- 469-483 Foreign direct investment and income inequality: Further evidence
by Pan-Long Tsai
- 485-502 The restructuring of the Indian automobile industry: Indian state and Japanese capital
by D'costa, Anthony P.
- 503-513 Learning our way out: A conceptual framework for social-environmental learning
by Finger, Matthias & Verlaan, Philomene
- 515-528 Public expenditure policy and the environment: A review and synthesis
by Gupta, Sanjeev & Miranda, Kenneth & Parry, Ian
- 529-535 Export processing zones in the Dominican Republic: A comment on Kaplinsky
by Willmore, Larry
- 537-540 A reply to Willmore
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
February 1995, Volume 23, Issue 2
- 163-177 Foreign capital and economic development in South Africa: Recent trends and postapartheid prospects
by Padayachee, Vishnu
- 179-192 Capital Intensity in South African Manufacturing and Unemployment, 1972-1990
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 193-210 The macroeconomic effects of direct foreign investment: The case of Thailand
by Jansen, Karel
- 211-232 Measuring capital flight: A case study of Mexico
by Eggerstedt, Harald & Hall, Rebecca Brideau & Van Wijnbergen, Sweder
- 233-241 War, peace and private portfolios
by Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem
- 243-263 Agricultural transformations in India and Northern Nigeria: Exploring the nature of Green Revolutions
by Goldman, Abe & Smith, Joyotee
- 265-279 Did the Green Revolution Concentrate Incomes? A Quantitative Study of Research Reports
by Freebairn, Donald K.
- 281-297 Labor absorption and agricultural development: Bangladesh's experience and predicament
by Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem
- 299-309 Farmers' Responses to the Flood Action Plan (FAP) of Bangladesh: An empirical study
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 311-326 Economic reform and smallholder agriculture in Tanzania: A discussion of recent market liberalization, road rehabilitation, and technology dissemination efforts
by Putterman, Louis
- 327-342 Gender and trade within the household: Observations from rural guatemala
by Katz, Elizabeth G.
- 343-356 Changing returns to education in Taiwan: 1978-1991
by Gindling, T. H. & Goldfarb, Marsha & Chang, Chun-Chig
January 1995, Volume 23, Issue 1
- 1-7 Introduction
by Humphrey, John
- 9-28 Small shoemakers and fordist giants: Tale of a supercluster
by Schmitz, Hubert
- 29-41 Is there an "industrial district model"? Footwear districts in Italy and Mexico compared
by Rabellotti, Roberta
- 43-56 Of networks and markets: The rise and rise of a South Indian town, the example of Tiruppur's cotton knitwear industry
by Cawthorne, Pamela M.
- 57-71 Technique and system: The spread of Japanese management techniques to developing countries
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 73-85 Quality and productivity in the competitive strategies of Brazilian industrial enterprises
by Fleury, Afonso
- 87-101 Flexible production in the auto sector: Industrial reorganization at Ford-Mexico
by Jorge Carrillo, V.
- 103-116 Japanese techniques in Africa? Human resources and industrial restructuring in Zimbabwe
by Posthuma, Anne Caroline
- 117-128 "Japanization": Context and culture in the Indonesian automotive industry
by Harriss, John
- 129-141 Industrial restructuring: Facilitating organizational change at the firm level
by Bessant, John & Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 143-148 Micro-level innovations and competitiveness
by Meyer-Stamer, Jorg
- 149-162 Industrial reorganization in developing countries: From models to trajectories
by Humphrey, John
December 1994, Volume 22, Issue 12
- 1771-1791 Trust in a rent-seeking world: Health and government transformed in Northeast Brazil
by Tendler, Judith & Freedheim, Sara
- 1793-1809 Grassroots action for resettlement planning: Brazil and beyond
by Hall, Anthony
- 1811-1823 Openness and the market friendly approach to development: Learning the right lessons from development experience
by Singh, Ajit
- 1825-1832 Economic development in the 1990s
by Fishlow, Albert
- 1833-1849 Theories of institutions and economic reform in Africa
by Stein, Howard
- 1851-1867 The no-exit economy: Soft budget constraints and the fate of economic reforms in developing countries
by Raiser, Martin
- 1869-1879 Interest rate policy, taxation and risk
by Harvey, Charles & Jenkins, Carolyn
- 1881-1894 The contribution of small enterprises to employment growth in southern and eastern Africa
by Mead, Donald C.
- 1895-1907 Determinants of credit rationing: A study of informal lenders and formal credit groups in Madagascar
by Zeller, Manfred
- 1909-1919 The public finance of infrastructure: Issues and options
by Swaroop, Vinaya
- 1921-1931 Payoffs from investment in information technology: Lessons from the Asia-Pacific region
by Kraemer, Kenneth L. & Dedrick, Jason
- 1933-1945 Generating and sustaining backward linkages between maquiladoras and local suppliers in Northern Mexico
by Brannon, Jefferey T. & James, Dilmus D. & Lucker, G. William
- 1947-1957 Income inequalities in China: Evidence from household survey data
by Hussain, Athar & Lanjouw, Peter & Stern, Nicholas
- 1959-1975 The effects of volatility in the terms of trade on output growth: New evidence
by Lutz, Matthias
- 1977-1995 An empirical investigation of exports, development, and growth in developing countries: Challenging the neoclassical theory of export-led growth
by Yaghmaian, Behzad
- 1997-2009 Rent, emigration and unemployment in small islands: The MIRAB model and the French overseas departments and territories
by Poirine, Bernard
- 2015-2017 The impact of foreign aid on the fiscal behavior of Asian LDC governments: A comment on Khan and Hoshino (1992)
by McGillivray, Mark
- 2019-2020 Explaining the impact of foreign aid: Response to McGillivray
by Khan, Haider Ali
November 1994, Volume 22, Issue 11
- 1613-1625 Markets in tradable water rights: Potential for efficiency gains in developing country water resource allocation
by Rosegrant, Mark W. & Binswanger, Hans P.
- 1627-1642 The impact of crisis, stabilization and structural adjustment on women in Lima, Peru
by Tanski, Janet M.
- 1643-1662 Rural industrialization: An engine of prosperity in postreform rural China
by Islam, Rizwanul & Hehui, Jin
- 1663-1675 State intervention in Cuban agriculture: Impact on organization and performance
by Alvarez, Jose & Puerta, Ricardo A.
- 1679-1679 Acknowledgements
by Morgan, Wyn & Sapsford, David
- 1681-1684 Commodities and development: Some issues
by Morgan, Wyn & Sapsford, David
- 1685-1695 The continuing commodity crisis of developing countries
by Maizels, Alfred
- 1697-1709 The link between increased trade openness and the terms of trade: An empirical investigation
by Lutz, Matthias & Singer, H. W.
- 1711-1715 North-South terms of trade and growth: A macroeconomic framework on Kaldorian lines
by Sarkar, Prabirjit
- 1717-1728 Policy options for stabilizing earnings in a speculative market: a structural analysis
by Hughes Hallett, A. J.
- 1729-1736 Price instability and commodity futures markets
by Morgan, C. W. & Rayner, A. J. & Ennew, C. T.
- 1737-1745 The long-run behavior of the relative price of primary commodities: Statistical evidence and policy implications
by Sapsford, David & Balasubramanyam, V. N.
- 1747-1758 The excess comovement of commodity prices revisited
by Leybourne, S. Y. & Lloyd, T. A. & Reed, G. V.
- 1759-1770 The effects of land reform on the rice sector and economic development in Taiwan
by Chen, John-Ren
October 1994, Volume 22, Issue 10
- 1437-1454 Participatory rural appraisal (PRA): Challenges, potentials and paradigm
by Chambers, Robert
- 1455-1478 Gender and command over property: A critical gap in economic analysis and policy in South Asia
by Agarwal, Bina
- 1479-1490 Structural change, power politics, and community organizations in Africa: Challenging the patterns, puzzles and paradoxes
by Thomas-Slayter, Barbara P.
- 1491-1509 Limitations to democracy in developing capitalist societies: The case of Venezuela
by Crisp, Brian
- 1511-1520 Market and state: Evaluating tanzania's program of state-led industrialization
by Costello, Matthew J.
- 1521-1534 Poverty and basic needs fulfilment in Africa during structural change: Evidence from Cote d'Ivoire
by Grootaert, Christiaan
- 1535-1547 Gender, headship and intrahousehold resource allocation
by Handa, Sudhanshu
- 1549-1565 Education, experience and earnings in the labor market of a developing economy: The case of urban Khartoum
by Cohen, Barney & House, William J.
- 1567-1578 Fruit trees under contract: Tenure and land use change in upland Java, Indonesia
by Suryanata, Krisnawati
- 1579-1584 Judging givers: Equity and scale in aid allocation
by Rao, J. Mohan
- 1585-1597 An empirical "dependent economy" model for Pakistan
by Haque, Nadeem U. & Husain, Aasim M. & Montiel, Peter J.
- 1599-1608 Imports of technology, enterprise size and R&D-based production in a newly industrializing country: The evidence from Indian enterprises
by Katrak, Homi
- 1609-1612 Pitfalls in technology transfer: Kenya's construction industry
by Bakuli, D. Luvisia
September 1994, Volume 22, Issue 9
- 1253-1268 Participatory rural appraisal (PRA): Analysis of experience
by Chambers, Robert
- 1269-1293 Where do high growth political economies come from? The Japanese lineage of Korea's "developmental state"
by Kohli, Atul
- 1295-1312 Political change and the welfare state: The case of health and food policies in Mexico (1970-1993)
by Brachet-Marquez, Viviane & Sherraden, Margaret Sherrard
- 1313-1323 Privatization in Latin America: Lessons for transitional Europe
by Shirley, Mary M.
- 1325-1343 Returns to investment in education: A global update
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 1345-1361 Has the green revolution been sustained? The quantitative impact of the seed-fertilizer revolution in Pakistan revisited
by Byerlee, Derek & Siddiq, Akmal
- 1363-1377 Managing for success: Lessons from Asian development programs
by Jain, Pankaj S.
- 1379-1392 Export promotion in a regional context: Central America and Southern Africa
by Hamilton, Nora & Thompson, Carol
- 1393-1411 The informal sector and the macroeconomy: A computable general equilibrium approach for Peru
by Kelley, Bruce
- 1413-1424 Testing the causes of discontinuities in the black market exchange rate in China
by Yin, Jason Z. & Stoever, William A.
- 1425-1436 Why visiting sociologists fail
by Dore, Ronald
August 1994, Volume 22, Issue 8
- 1103-1104 Preface
by Drabek, Anne Gordon
- 1105-1117 Fiscal deficits, output growth and inflation targets in Ghana
by Sowa, Nii Kwaku
- 1119-1128 Fiscal adjustment and growth in Cote d'Ivoire
by Kouassy, Oussou & Bohoun, Bouabre
- 1129-1146 Fiscal federalism: Nigeria's post-independence experience, 1960-90
by Ekpo, Akpan H.
- 1147-1160 Evaluating the net gains from the CFA Franc Zone membership: A different perspective
by Allechi, M'Bet & Niamkey, Madeleine A.
- 1161-1173 Trade and payments regime and the balance of payments in Ghana
by Jebuni, C. D. & Oduro, A. D. & Tutu, K. A.
- 1175-1182 Relative price effects of exchange rate depreciation in Nigeria under fixed and fixed/flexible mark-up pricing regimes
by Olu Ajakaiye, D. & Ojowu, Ode
- 1183-1198 Exchange rate unification and economic development: The case of Uganda, 1987-92
by Kasekende, L. & Ssemogerere, G.
- 1199-1210 Characteristics of the savings-investment process in Nigeria
by Soyibo, Adedoyin
- 1211-1221 Private investment under uncertainty in Ghana
by Aryeetey, Ernest
- 1223-1242 Assessing and managing external debt problems in Nigeria
by Raheem, Mufutau Iyiola
- 1243-1251 The structure and policy implications of a macroeconomic model of Ghana
by Dordunoo, Cletus K.
July 1994, Volume 22, Issue 7
- 953-969 The origins and practice of participatory rural appraisal
by Chambers, Robert
- 971-981 Questioning the call for environmental loans: A critical examination of forestry lending in the Philippines
by Korten, Frances F.
- 983-995 Poverty reduction through geographic targeting: How well does it work?
by Baker, Judy L. & Grosh, Margaret E.
- 997-1010 Malthus controverted: The role of capital and technology in growth and environment recovery in Kenya
by Tiffen, Mary & Mortimore, Michael
- 1011-1030 Economic returns to social power: Merchants' finance and interlinkage in the grain markets of Bangladesh
by Crow, Ben & Murshid, K. A. S.
- 1031-1044 Demographic behavior and poverty: Micro-level evidence from Southern Sudan
by Cohen, Barney & House, William J.
- 1045-1059 Policy lessons from Lao and Hmong women in Thai refugee camps
by Cha, Dia & Small, Cathy A.
- 1061-1071 "Missing women" reconsidered
by Klasen, Stephan
- 1073-1082 Discrimination against women in formal credit markets: Reality or rhetoric?
by Baydas, Mayada M. & Meyer, Richard L. & Aguilera-Alfred, Nelson
- 1083-1096 A tale of two enterprises: Swaziland's lessons for privatization
by Sonko, Karamo N. M.
- 1097-1102 Intellectual origins of Indian economic reform: A review of Jagdish Bhagwati's India in transition: Freeing the economy (1993)
by Khatkhate, Deena
June 1994, Volume 22, Issue 6
- 811-822 The poor and the environment: Friends or foes?
by Broad, Robin
- 823-838 Impacts on rural poverty of land-based targeting: Further results for Bangladesh
by Ravallion, Martin & Sen, Binayak
- 839-857 Village labor markets in Sheikan district, Sudan
by Kevane, Michael
- 859-875 Building human resources and women's capabilities in Afghanistan: A retrospect and prospects
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
- 877-888 Institutional barriers to policy reform in Egypt: The case of the agricultural machinery industry
by Kerr, John M.
- 889-910 Industrial districts in Europe: Policy lessons for developing countries?
by Schmitz, Hubert & Musyck, Bernard
- 911-923 Peru's return toward an open economy: Macroeconomic complications and structural questions
by Sheahan, John
- 925-934 State-owned enterprise reform through performance contracts: The Bolivian experiment
by Mallon, Richard D.
- 935-947 State policy and rural resource allocation in China as seen through a Hebei province township, 1970-1985
by Wiemer, Calla
May 1994, Volume 22, Issue 5
- 1-1 A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica
by Rodriguez, Adrian G. & Smith, Stephen M.
- 671-689 Changing the economics of environmental degradation in Madagascar: Lessons from the national environmental action plan process
by Larson, Bruce A.
- 691-706 Why are farms so small?
by Johnson, Nancy L. & Ruttan, Vernon W.
- 707-719 From rags to riches: The impact of rural development on women's status in an Indian village
by Vlassoff, Carol
- 721-735 Penny capitalism: Efficient but poor or inefficient and (less than) second best?
by Schweigert, Thomas
- 737-753 Brazilian privatization in the 1990s
by Pinheiro, Armando Castelar & Giambiagi, Fabio
- 755-769 The impact of new technologies on scale in manufacturing industries: Issues and evidence
by Alcorta, Ludovico
- 771-780 Catching up or falling behind: Patterns in international interfirm technology partnering
by Freeman, Chris & Hagedoorn, John
- 781-794 Import substitution and export-led growth: A study of Taiwan's petrochemical industry
by Chu, Wan-Wen
- 795-801 Exchange rate variability and imports in WAMU countries: Is this relationship relevant?
by Assane, Djeto & Konan, Abel
- 803-805 A reply to Assane and Konan
by Medhora, Rohinton
- 807-810 Decentralization, participation and spatial equity in rural tanzania: A comment
by Semboja, Joseph & Therkildsen, Ole
April 1994, Volume 22, Issue 4
- 483-500 Political liberation and economic policy reform in Africa
by Van De Walle, Nicolas