March 1997, Volume 25, Issue 3
- 349-358 Program success and management of integrated primary education in developing countries
by Jain, Pankaj S.
- 359-377 Acquisition of technological capability in development: A quantitative case study of Pakistan's capital goods sector
by Romijn, Henny
- 379-394 Entry versus success in the labor force: Young women's employment in Sri Lanka
by Malhotra, Anju & DeGraff, Deborah S.
- 395-407 Impacts of growth and structural change on CO2 emissions of developing countries
by Han, Xiaoli & Chatterjee, Lata
- 409-423 Investments in african agricultural research
by Pardey, Philip G. & Roseboom, Johannes & Beintema, Nienke M.
- 425-436 Agriculture under trade policy reform: A quantitative assessment for India
by Storm, Servaas
- 437-456 Producer cooperative resettlement projects in Zimbabwe: Lessons from a failed agricultural development strategy
by Akwabi-Ameyaw, Kofi
- 457-467 Some observations on power and property rights in the inland fisheries of Bangladesh
by Toufique, Kazi Ali
February 1997, Volume 25, Issue 2
- 145-152 Editorial: The revival of the liberal creed -- the IMF and the World Bank in a globalized economy
by Taylor, Lance
- 153-165 Technology choice and income distribution
by James, Jeffrey & Khan, Haider
- 167-178 Central-bank decapitalization in developing economies
by Beckerman, Paul
- 179-190 Does leadership matter in the economic reform process? Liberalization and governance in Sri Lanka, 1989-1993
by Dunham, David & Kelegam, Saman
- 191-198 Carbon intensity and economic development 1962-1991: A brief exploration of the environmental Kuznets curve
by Roberts, J. Timmons & Grimes, Peter E.
- 199-210 Policing the urban pumping race: Industrial groundwater overexploitation in Indonesia
by Braadbaart, Okke & Braadbaart, Frederick
- 211-225 Achieving balance in decentralization: A case study of education decentralization in Chile
by Parry, Taryn Rounds
- 227-238 Comparing contracts: An evaluation of contract farming schemes in Africa
by Porter, Gina & Phillips-Howard[malt], Kevin
- 239-253 Willingness to contribute labor and money to tsetse control: Application of contingent valuation in Busia District, Kenya
by Echessah, Protase N. & Swallow, Brent M. & Kamara, Damaris W. & Curry, John J.
- 255-266 When households run out of fuel: Responses of rural households to decreasing fuelwood availability, Ntcheu District, Malawi
by Brouwer, Inge D. & Hoorweg, Jan C. & van Liere, Marti J.
- 267-280 Why institutional credit agencies are reluctant to lend to the rural poor: A theoretical analysis of the Indian rural credit market
by Basu, Santonu
- 281-291 Effective protection and investment incentives in Egypt and Jordan during the transition to free trade With Europe
by Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon
January 1997, Volume 25, Issue 1
- 1-3 An introduction to a primer for reform-minded Presidents or Prime Ministers
by Streeten, Paul
- 5-22 Shifting fortunes: The political economy of financial liberalization in Nigeria
by Lewis, Peter & Stein, Howard
- 23-52 Gender, environment, and poverty interlinks: Regional variations and temporal shifts in rural India, 1971-1991
by Agarwal, Bina
- 53-65 The paths to rain forest destruction: Crossnational patterns of tropical deforestation, 1975-1990
by Rudel, Tom & Roper, Jill
- 67-91 Settler households and land-use patterns in the Amazon frontier: Farm-level evidence from Ecuador
by Pichon, Francisco J.
- 93-114 The frontiers of influence: NGO lobbying at the 1974 World Food Conference, the 1992 Earth Summit and beyond
by Van Rooy, Alison
- 115-126 Stakeholders, science and decision making for poverty-focused rural mechanization research and development
by Gass, Graham & Biggs, Stephen & Kelly, Aiden
- 127-143 Should the Kuznets effect be relied on to induce equalizing growth: Evidence from post-1950 development
by Bowman, Kirk S.
December 1996, Volume 24, Issue 12
- 1793-1809 Women's autonomy and its impact on fertility
by Abadian, Sousan
- 1811-1827 Women-headed households and household welfare: An empirical deconstruction for Uganda
by Appleton, Simon
- 1829-1840 Women "manufacture" economic spaces in Bethlehem
by Olmsted, Jennifer
- 1841-1857 Child survival in East Africa: The impact of preventive health care
by Brockerhoff, Martin & Derose, Laurie F.
- 1859-1877 The Triple C approach to local industrial policy
by Humphrey, John & Schmitz, Hubert
- 1879-1890 Mighty oaks from little acorns: Can microenterprise serve as the seedbed of industrialization?
by Grosh, Barbara & Somolekae, Gloria
- 1891-1904 Determinants of pollution abatement in developing countries: Evidence from South and Southeast Asia
by Hettige, Hemamala & Huq, Mainul & Pargal, Sheoli & Wheeler, David
- 1905-1914 A new look at the effects of export instability on investment and growth
by Dawe, David
- 1915-1923 Macroeconomic policy and output comovement: The formal and informal sectors in India
by Patel, Urjit R. & Srivastava, Pradeep
- 1925-1933 Expectative land rights, house consolidation and cemetery squatting: Some perspectives from Central Java
by Garr, Daniel J.
November 1996, Volume 24, Issue 11
- 1681-1693 Small fields, big money: Two successful programs in helping small farmers make the transition to high value-added crops
by Benziger, Vincent
- 1695-1709 Snails, southern hake and sustainability: Neoliberalism and natural resource exports in Chile
by Schurman, Rachel A.
- 1711-1723 Seeking guidelines for poverty reduction in rural Zambia
by Alwang, Jeffrey & Siegel, Paul B. & Jorgensen, Steen L.
- 1725-1736 Household fuelwood demand and supply in Nepal's tarai and mid-hills: Choice between cash outlays and labor opportunity
by Amacher, Gregory S. & Hyde, William F. & Kanel, Keshav R.
- 1737-1751 The urban informal sector in Central America: Household survey evidence
by Funkhouser, Edward
- 1753-1760 Borrowing from the IMF: The policy implications of recent empirical research
by Bird, Graham
- 1761-1776 Marketing the third world: The contradictions of portfolio investment in the global economy
by Grabel, Ilene
- 1777-1791 The Egyptian food subsidy system: Operation and effects on income distribution
by Ali, Sonia M. & Adams, Richard Jr
October 1996, Volume 24, Issue 10
- 1561-1578 After Samuelson?
by Stretton, Hugh
- 1579-1595 Male-female differences in agricultural productivity: Methodological issues and empirical evidence
by Quisumbing, Agnes R.
- 1597-1609 Testing among models of intrahousehold resource allocation
by Doss, Cheryl R.
- 1611-1619 The informal sector elephant
by Mead, Donald C. & Morrisson, Christian
- 1621-1639 Making civil society work, promoting democratic development: What can states and donors do?
by Hadenius, Axel & Uggla, Fredrik
- 1641-1657 Donor-initiated common pool resource institutions: The case of the Yanesha Forestry Cooperative
by Morrow, Christopher E. & Hull, Rebecca Watts
- 1659-1671 Empirics of crosscountry tax revenue comparisons
by Zee, Howell H.
- 1673-1680 Electoral price cycles in regulated industries
by Paiva, Claudio A. C.
September 1996, Volume 24, Issue 9
- 1393-1394 Editor's preface
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1395-1401 Process perspectives on policy change: Highlighting implementation
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1403-1415 Policy implementation: The organizational challenge
by Crosby, Benjamin L.
- 1417-1430 Integrating strategic management tasks into implementing agencies: From firefighting to prevention
by Kiggundu, Moses N.
- 1431-1439 Strategic thinking in international development: Using management tools to see the big picture
by Goldsmith, Arthur A.
- 1441-1451 Assessing policy implementation success: Observations from The Philippines
by Morton, Alice L.
- 1453-1466 Increasing private sector capacity for policy dialogue: The West African Enterprise Network
by Orsini, Deborah M. & Courcelle, Michel & Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1467-1479 Participation, social capital, and intersectoral problem solving: African and Asian cases
by Brown, L. David & Ashman, Darcy
- 1481-1496 Gender policy in development assistance: Improving implementation results
by Snyder, Monteze & Berry, Fran & Mavima, Paul
- 1497-1510 Coordination issues in policy implementation networks: An illustration from Madagascar's Environmental Action Plan
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1511-1525 Strategies for Achieving Health Financing Reform in Africa
by Leighton, Charlotte
- 1527-1537 Sustaining economic reform under political liberalization in Africa: Issues and implications
by Gordon, David F.
- 1539-1550 Strategic change through sensible projects
by Bryant, Coralie
- 1551-1559 Promoting policy reforms: The twilight of conditionality?
by Nelson, Joan M.
August 1996, Volume 24, Issue 8
- 1281-1299 Fiscal decentralization in Indonesia: A new approach to an old idea
by Smoke, Paul & Lewis, Blane D.
- 1301-1315 Improving the performance of small-scale irrigation systems: The effects of technological investments and governance structure on irrigation performance in Nepal
by Lam, Wai Fung
- 1317-1332 Deforestation, land use, and women's agricultural activities in the Ecuadorian Amazon
by Thapa, Keshari K. & Bilsborrow, Richard E. & Murphy, Laura
- 1333-1346 State credit programs and the peasantry under populist regimes: Lessons from the APRA experience in the Peruvian Amazon
by Coomes, Oliver T.
- 1347-1355 Magic and witchcraft: Implications for democratization and poverty-alleviating aid in Africa
by Kohnert, Dirk
- 1357-1372 Globalization: Emasculation or opportunity for educational planning?
by Riddell, Abby Rubin
- 1373-1378 Productivity of public and private investment in developing countries: A broad international perspective
by Ram, Rati
- 1379-1384 The growing gap between rich and poor countries: A proposed explanation
by Sheehey, Edmund J.
- 1385-1392 Human development as statistical artifact
by Luchters, Guido & Menkhoff, Lukas
July 1996, Volume 24, Issue 7
- 1133-1149 Level playing fields and laissez faire: Postliberal development strategy in inegalitarian agrarian economies
by Carter, Michael R. & Barham, Bradford L.
- 1151-1160 Economic growth and environmental degradation: The environmental Kuznets curve and sustainable development
by Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S. & Barbier, Edward B.
- 1161-1177 Organizations and intensifications: Campesino federations, rural livelihoods and agricultural technology in the Andes and Amazonia
by Bebbington, Anthony
- 1179-1191 The impact of structural adjustment and property rights conflicts on Nicaraguan Agrarian reform beneficiaries
by Jonakin, Jon
- 1193-1208 Shrimp aquaculture development and the environment: People, mangroves and fisheries on the Gulf of Fonseca, Honduras
by Dewalt, Billie R. & Vergne, Philippe & Hardin, Mark
- 1209-1221 Ethical development
by Qizilbash, Mozaffar
- 1223-1242 The Uruguay Round agreements: Impact on developing countries
by Safadi, Raed & Laird, Sam
- 1243-1266 Technology investment and growth in economic welfare
by Daniels, Peter L.
- 1267-1278 Trade reform and manufacturing performance in Malawi 1970-1991
by Mulaga, Geoffrey & Weiss, John
June 1996, Volume 24, Issue 6
- 1-1 Introduction: Development strategies across the public-private divide
by Evans, Peter
- 961-973 Too close for comfort? the impact of official aid on nongovernmental organizations
by Edwards, Michael & Hulme, David
- 975-987 The significance of development economics
by Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider
- 989-1001 South Africa: Macroeconomic perspectives for the medium term
by Brixen, Peter & Tarp, Finn
- 1003-1013 Adjustment and income distribution in an agricultural economy: A general equilibrium analysis of Cameroon
by Benjamin, Nancy
- 1015-1031 Modeling determinants of poverty in Mauritania
by Coulombe, Harold & Mckay, Andrew
- 1039-1054 Institutional design of public agencies and coproduction: A study of irrigation associations in Taiwan
by Lam, Wai Fung
- 1055-1071 Social capital as a product of class mobilization and state intervention: Industrial workers in Kerala, India
by Heller, Patrick
- 1073-1087 Crossing the great divide: Coproduction, synergy, and development
by Ostrom, Elinor
- 1089-1103 How does civil society thicken? the political construction of social capital in rural Mexico
by Fox, Jonathan
- 1105-1117 The state and economic involution: Russia through a China lens
by Burawoy, Michael
- 1119-1132 Government action, social capital and development: Reviewing the evidence on synergy
by Evans, Peter
May 1996, Volume 24, Issue 5
- 793-806 Credit constraints, credit unions, and small-scale producers in Guatemala
by Barham, Bradford L. & Boucher, Stephen & Carter, Michael R.
- 807-820 International taxation: The trajectory of an idea from Lorimer to Brandt
by Frankman, Myron J.
- 821-829 Gender, markets and states: A selective review and research agenda
by Sen, Gita
- 831-844 Reducing the gender gap in an asian economy: How important is women's increasing work experience?
by Tam, Tony
- 845-855 National land cover mapping by remote sensing
by Haack, Barry & English, Richard
- 857-868 Household demand for improved solid waste management: A case study of Gujranwala, Pakistan
by Altaf, Mir Anjum & Deshazo, J. R.
- 869-885 Catching up in the postwar period: Puerto Rico as the fifth "Tiger"?
by Baumol, William J. & Wolff, Edward N.
- 887-900 Policy adjustments to the oil boom and their evaluation: The Dutch disease in Indonesia
by Usui, Norio
- 901-914 Agroclimatic shock, income inequality, and poverty: Evidence from Burkina Faso
by Reardon, Thomas & Taylor, J. Edward
- 915-928 Two-tier land tenure system and sustained economic growth in post-1978 rural China
by Dong, Xiao-Yuan
- 929-937 Estimating the level of protection: The implications of seasonal price fluctuations
by Shilpi, Forhad J.
- 939-951 Adjustment and economic performance under a fixed exchange rate: A comparative analysis of the CFA zone
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Majd, Nader
- 953-960 Bureaucrat, heal thyself! lessons from three administrative reforms
by Montgomery, John D.
April 1996, Volume 24, Issue 4
- 589-610 Education and the market: Which parts of the neoliberal solution are correct?
by Colclough, Christopher
- 611-633 Chaos and certainty in development
by Samoff, Joel
- 635-653 Rural credit programs and women's empowerment in Bangladesh
by Hashemi, Syed M. & Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Riley, Ann P.
- 655-672 Central-local relations in china during the reform era: The economic and institutional dimensions
by Huang, Yasheng
- 673-688 Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises
by Kumar, Nagesh
- 689-696 Entrepreneurial human capital and the long-run survival of firms in India
by Nafziger, E. Wayne & Terrell, Dek
- 697-718 Modern varieties, productivity, and sustainability: Recent experience and emerging challenges
by Byerlee, Derek
- 719-747 Exchange rate, fiscal and agricultural policies in Africa: Does adjustment hurt the poor?
by Sahn, David E. & Dorosh, Paul & Younger, Stephen
- 749-764 The household and employment in small-scale nonfarm enterprises
by Melmed-Sanjak, Jolyne & Santiago, Carlos E.
- 765-771 Price Responsiveness, Efficiency, and the Impact of Structural Adjustment on Egyptian Crop Producers
by Baffes, John & Gautam, Madhur
- 773-780 The Kuznets curve: A reassessment
by Jha, Sailesh K.
- 781-791 Mechanizing small-scale rice cultivation in an industrializing economy: The development of the power-tiller in prewar Japan
by Francks, Penelope
March 1996, Volume 24, Issue 3
- 407-426 Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand
by Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves
- 427-448 The enforcement of commercial contracts in Ghana
by Fafchamps, Marcel
- 449-460 R&D and technology policy in NICs as learning processes
by Teubal, Morris
- 461-470 The investment-profits nexus in East Asian industrialization
by Akyuz, Yilmaz & Gore, Charles
- 471-479 Pollution intensity of GDP and trade policy: Can the World Bank be wrong?
by Rock, Michael T.
- 481-487 Determinants of small and micro enterprise registration: Results from surveys in Niger and Swaziland
by McPherson, Michael A. & Liedholm, Carl
- 489-504 Rescuing gender from the poverty trap
by Jackson, Cecile
- 505-520 Women heading households: Some more equal than others?
by Varley, Ann
- 521-534 Economic reform and food prices: Evidence from markets in Ghana
by Alderman, Harold & Shively, Gerald
- 535-547 The impact of structural adjustment programs on manufacturing: Lessons from Nicaragua
by Dijkstra, A. Geske
- 549-556 Comparative advantage and bilateral foreign aid policy
by Dewald, Michael & Weder, Rolf
- 557-568 Evaluation of the incentive structure: A survey and application to Cameroon
by Njinkeu, Dominique
- 569-588 Vector-borne disease control in sub-Saharan Africa: A necessary but partial vision of development
by McMillan, Della E. & Meltzer, Martin I.
February 1996, Volume 24, Issue 2
- 213-213 Foreword
by Simai, Mihaly
- 215-225 Sustainable development: An introduction
by Taylor, Lance
- 227-240 Argentina: Growth resumption, sustainability, and environment
by Chisari, Omar O. & Fanelli, JoseMaria & Frenkel, Roberto
- 241-254 Brazil: Widening the scope for balanced growth
by De P. Abreu, Marcelo & Carneiro, Dionisio D. & Werneck, Rogerio L. F.
- 255-272 Growth, equity, and the environment in Chile: Issues and evidence
by Meller, Patricio & O'ryan, Raul & Solimano, Andres
- 273-286 China's macroeconomy, environment, and alternative transition model
by Amsden, Alice H. & Dongyi Liu & Xiaoming Zhang
- 287-305 Growth, distribution, and the environment: Sustainable development in India
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna & Rao, J. Mohan
- 307-324 Prospects for growth and the environment in Mexico in the 1990s
by Ros, Jaime & Draisma, Joost & Lustig, Nora & Kate, Adriaan Ten
- 325-339 The environmental consequences of stagnation in Nicaragua
by Gibson, Bill
- 341-357 Macroeconomic volatility, investment anemia and environmental struggles in the Philippines
by Montes, Manuel F. & Lim, Joseph Y.
- 359-371 Russian economic growth: Lessons from liberalization, medium-term constraints, and ecological challenges
by Vorobyov, Alexander Yu. & Zhukov, Stanislav V.
- 373-393 Dilemmas of structural adjustment and environmental policies under instability: Post-1980 Turkey
by Boratav, Korkut & Turel, Oktar & Yeldan, Erinc
- 395-405 Growth, distribution and environment: Macroeconomic issues in Zimbabwe
by Davies, Rob & Rattso, Jorn
January 1996, Volume 24, Issue 1
- 1-19 International Commodity Agreements: An obituary notice
by Gilbert, Christopher L.
- 21-44 The moral foundations of foreign aid
by Opeskin, Brian R.
- 45-63 Who takes the credit? Gender, power, and control over loan use in rural credit programs in Bangladesh
by Goetz, Anne Marie & Gupta, Rina Sen
- 65-78 The design of successful rural financial intermediaries: Evidence from Indonesia
by Chaves, Rodrigo A. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio
- 79-89 Managing credit for the rural poor: Lessons from the Grameen Bank
by Jain, Pankaj S.
- 91-96 Relief programs: When it may be better to give food instead of cash
by Basu, Kaushik
- 97-111 Deagrarianization and rural employment in sub-Saharan Africa: A sectoral perspective
by Bryceson, Deborah Fahy
- 113-128 The implications of female household headship for food consumption and nutritional status in the Dominican Republic
by Rogers, Beatrice Lorge
- 129-143 The struggle for survival: Prospects for the Women's Federation in Post-Mao China
by Howell, Jude
- 145-153 Monetary management and intergovernmental relations in China
by Jun Ma
- 155-170 Trade interdependence and direct foreign investment between ASEAN and China
by Zhang, Zhaoyong & Ow Chin Hock
- 171-182 Strategies for software exports from developing countries
by Correa, Carlos M.
- 183-199 Rates of return to education: Does the conventional pattern prevail in sub-Saharan Africa?
by Bennell, Paul
- 201-201 A reply to Bennell
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 203-206 Women and public policy in Afghanistan: A comment
by Maley, William
- 207-211 A reply to maley
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
December 1995, Volume 23, Issue 12
- 2019-2031 Structural adjustment and African industry
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 2033-2039 Alternative definitions of female headship in the Dominican Republic
by Rogers, Beatrice Lorge
- 2041-2049 The ecological basis of irrigation institutions: East and South Asia
by Wade, Robert
- 2051-2064 Income tax compliance in India: An empirical analysis
by Das-Gupta, Arindam & Lahiri, Radhika & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 2067-2077 Adjustment toward peace: An introduction
by Boyce, James K.
- 2079-2099 Macroeconomic policy and the Salvadoran peace accords
by Wood, Elisabeth & Segovia, Alexander
- 2101-2116 External assistance and the peace process in El Salvador
by Boyce, James K.
- 2117-2131 Distributional implications of macroeconomic policy: Theory and applications to El Salvador
by Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Conroy, Michael E.
- 2133-2152 Challenges and opportunities in El Salvador's financial sector
by Danby, Colin
- 2153-2172 El Salvador's agricultural sector: Macroeconomic policy, agrarian change and the environment
by Acevedo, Carlos & Barry, Deborah & Rosa, Herman
- 2173-2193 Exports, economic growth and the consolidation of peace in El Salvador
by Paus, Eva
November 1995, Volume 23, Issue 11
- 1827-1836 Introduction
by Cagatay, Nilufer & Elson, Diane & Grow, Caren
- 1839-1850 Toward a greater integration of gender in economics
by Beneria, Lourdes
- 1851-1868 Gender Awareness in Modeling Structural Adjustment
by Elson, Diane
- 1869-1880 Engendering macroeconomics: A reconsideration of growth theory
by Walters, Bernard
- 1883-1894 Feminization of the labor force: The effects of long-term development and structural adjustment
by Cagatay, Nilufer & Ozler, Sule
- 1895-1911 Long-term trends in the World economy: The gender dimension
by Howes, Candace & Singh, Ajit
- 1913-1929 Economic restructuring, gender and the allocation of time
by Floro, Maria Sagrario
- 1931-1949 Female education and adjustment programs: A crosscountry statistical analysis
by Rose, Pauline
- 1953-1961 Environmental and gender feedbacks in macroeconomics
by Taylor, Lance
- 1963-1968 The formal structure of a gender-segregated low-income economy
by Darity, William Jr.
- 1969-1977 Macroeconomic consequences of cyclical and secular changes in feminization: An experiment at gendered macromodeling
by Erturk, Korkut & Cagatay, Nilufer
- 1981-1986 Public finance from a gender perspective
by Palmer, Ingrid
- 1987-1994 Gender equality, bilateral program assistance and structural adjustment: Policy and procedures
by Elson, Diane & McGee, Rosemary
- 1995-1999 Bringing it all back home: Integrating training for gender specialists and economic planners
by Pearson, Ruth
- 2005-2017 Economic restructuring and gender in Canada: Feminist policy initiatives
by Macdonald, Martha
October 1995, Volume 23, Issue 10
- 1639-1652 Central bank independence: A critical view from a developing country perspective
by Mas, Ignacio
- 1653-1667 Incorporation and exclusion: The life cycle of Malawi's Refugee assistance program
by Zetter, Roger
- 1669-1681 Alternative food security strategy: A household analysis of urban agriculture in Kampala
by Maxwell, Daniel G.
- 1683-1698 The emergence and evolution of collective action: Lessons from watershed management in Haiti
by Anderson White, T. & Ford Runge, C.
- 1699-1712 Social movements and the State: The Politics of health reform in Brazil
by Weyland, Kurt
- 1713-1729 Shifting cultivation and "deforestation": A study from Indonesia
by Angelsen, Arild
- 1731-1744 Enhancing the role of women in crop production: A case study of Igbo women in Nigeria
by Ezumah, Nkoli N. & Di Domenico, Catherine M.
- 1745-1764 Developing a quantitative framework for sustainable resource-use planning in the Brazilian Amazon
by De Almeida, Oriana Trindade & Uhl, Christopher
- 1765-1779 Learning to love the Dutch disease: Evidence from the mineral economies
by Davis, Graham A.