1996, Volume 24, Issue 3
- 471-479 Pollution intensity of GDP and trade policy: Can the World Bank be wrong?
by Rock, Michael T.
- 481-487 Determinants of small and micro enterprise registration: Results from surveys in Niger and Swaziland
by McPherson, Michael A. & Liedholm, Carl
- 489-504 Rescuing gender from the poverty trap
by Jackson, Cecile
- 505-520 Women heading households: Some more equal than others?
by Varley, Ann
- 521-534 Economic reform and food prices: Evidence from markets in Ghana
by Alderman, Harold & Shively, Gerald
- 535-547 The impact of structural adjustment programs on manufacturing: Lessons from Nicaragua
by Dijkstra, A. Geske
- 549-556 Comparative advantage and bilateral foreign aid policy
by Dewald, Michael & Weder, Rolf
- 557-568 Evaluation of the incentive structure: A survey and application to Cameroon
by Njinkeu, Dominique
- 569-588 Vector-borne disease control in sub-Saharan Africa: A necessary but partial vision of development
by McMillan, Della E. & Meltzer, Martin I.
1996, Volume 24, Issue 2
- 213-213 Foreword
by Simai, Mihaly
- 215-225 Sustainable development: An introduction
by Taylor, Lance
- 227-240 Argentina: Growth resumption, sustainability, and environment
by Chisari, Omar O. & Fanelli, JoseMaria & Frenkel, Roberto
- 241-254 Brazil: Widening the scope for balanced growth
by De P. Abreu, Marcelo & Carneiro, Dionisio D. & Werneck, Rogerio L. F.
- 255-272 Growth, equity, and the environment in Chile: Issues and evidence
by Meller, Patricio & O'ryan, Raul & Solimano, Andres
- 273-286 China's macroeconomy, environment, and alternative transition model
by Amsden, Alice H. & Dongyi Liu & Xiaoming Zhang
- 287-305 Growth, distribution, and the environment: Sustainable development in India
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna & Rao, J. Mohan
- 307-324 Prospects for growth and the environment in Mexico in the 1990s
by Ros, Jaime & Draisma, Joost & Lustig, Nora & Kate, Adriaan Ten
- 325-339 The environmental consequences of stagnation in Nicaragua
by Gibson, Bill
- 341-357 Macroeconomic volatility, investment anemia and environmental struggles in the Philippines
by Montes, Manuel F. & Lim, Joseph Y.
- 359-371 Russian economic growth: Lessons from liberalization, medium-term constraints, and ecological challenges
by Vorobyov, Alexander Yu. & Zhukov, Stanislav V.
- 373-393 Dilemmas of structural adjustment and environmental policies under instability: Post-1980 Turkey
by Boratav, Korkut & Turel, Oktar & Yeldan, Erinc
- 395-405 Growth, distribution and environment: Macroeconomic issues in Zimbabwe
by Davies, Rob & Rattso, Jorn
1996, Volume 24, Issue 1
- 1-19 International Commodity Agreements: An obituary notice
by Gilbert, Christopher L.
- 21-44 The moral foundations of foreign aid
by Opeskin, Brian R.
- 45-63 Who takes the credit? Gender, power, and control over loan use in rural credit programs in Bangladesh
by Goetz, Anne Marie & Gupta, Rina Sen
- 65-78 The design of successful rural financial intermediaries: Evidence from Indonesia
by Chaves, Rodrigo A. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio
- 79-89 Managing credit for the rural poor: Lessons from the Grameen Bank
by Jain, Pankaj S.
- 91-96 Relief programs: When it may be better to give food instead of cash
by Basu, Kaushik
- 97-111 Deagrarianization and rural employment in sub-Saharan Africa: A sectoral perspective
by Bryceson, Deborah Fahy
- 113-128 The implications of female household headship for food consumption and nutritional status in the Dominican Republic
by Rogers, Beatrice Lorge
- 129-143 The struggle for survival: Prospects for the Women's Federation in Post-Mao China
by Howell, Jude
- 145-153 Monetary management and intergovernmental relations in China
by Jun Ma
- 155-170 Trade interdependence and direct foreign investment between ASEAN and China
by Zhang, Zhaoyong & Ow Chin Hock
- 171-182 Strategies for software exports from developing countries
by Correa, Carlos M.
- 183-199 Rates of return to education: Does the conventional pattern prevail in sub-Saharan Africa?
by Bennell, Paul
- 201-201 A reply to Bennell
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 203-206 Women and public policy in Afghanistan: A comment
by Maley, William
- 207-211 A reply to maley
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
1995, Volume 23, Issue 12
- 2019-2031 Structural adjustment and African industry
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 2033-2039 Alternative definitions of female headship in the Dominican Republic
by Rogers, Beatrice Lorge
- 2041-2049 The ecological basis of irrigation institutions: East and South Asia
by Wade, Robert
- 2051-2064 Income tax compliance in India: An empirical analysis
by Das-Gupta, Arindam & Lahiri, Radhika & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 2067-2077 Adjustment toward peace: An introduction
by Boyce, James K.
- 2079-2099 Macroeconomic policy and the Salvadoran peace accords
by Wood, Elisabeth & Segovia, Alexander
- 2101-2116 External assistance and the peace process in El Salvador
by Boyce, James K.
- 2117-2131 Distributional implications of macroeconomic policy: Theory and applications to El Salvador
by Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Conroy, Michael E.
- 2133-2152 Challenges and opportunities in El Salvador's financial sector
by Danby, Colin
- 2153-2172 El Salvador's agricultural sector: Macroeconomic policy, agrarian change and the environment
by Acevedo, Carlos & Barry, Deborah & Rosa, Herman
- 2173-2193 Exports, economic growth and the consolidation of peace in El Salvador
by Paus, Eva
1995, Volume 23, Issue 11
- 1827-1836 Introduction
by Cagatay, Nilufer & Elson, Diane & Grow, Caren
- 1839-1850 Toward a greater integration of gender in economics
by Beneria, Lourdes
- 1851-1868 Gender Awareness in Modeling Structural Adjustment
by Elson, Diane
- 1869-1880 Engendering macroeconomics: A reconsideration of growth theory
by Walters, Bernard
- 1883-1894 Feminization of the labor force: The effects of long-term development and structural adjustment
by Cagatay, Nilufer & Ozler, Sule
- 1895-1911 Long-term trends in the World economy: The gender dimension
by Howes, Candace & Singh, Ajit
- 1913-1929 Economic restructuring, gender and the allocation of time
by Floro, Maria Sagrario
- 1931-1949 Female education and adjustment programs: A crosscountry statistical analysis
by Rose, Pauline
- 1953-1961 Environmental and gender feedbacks in macroeconomics
by Taylor, Lance
- 1963-1968 The formal structure of a gender-segregated low-income economy
by Darity, William Jr.
- 1969-1977 Macroeconomic consequences of cyclical and secular changes in feminization: An experiment at gendered macromodeling
by Erturk, Korkut & Cagatay, Nilufer
- 1981-1986 Public finance from a gender perspective
by Palmer, Ingrid
- 1987-1994 Gender equality, bilateral program assistance and structural adjustment: Policy and procedures
by Elson, Diane & McGee, Rosemary
- 1995-1999 Bringing it all back home: Integrating training for gender specialists and economic planners
by Pearson, Ruth
- 2005-2017 Economic restructuring and gender in Canada: Feminist policy initiatives
by Macdonald, Martha
1995, Volume 23, Issue 10
- 1639-1652 Central bank independence: A critical view from a developing country perspective
by Mas, Ignacio
- 1653-1667 Incorporation and exclusion: The life cycle of Malawi's Refugee assistance program
by Zetter, Roger
- 1669-1681 Alternative food security strategy: A household analysis of urban agriculture in Kampala
by Maxwell, Daniel G.
- 1683-1698 The emergence and evolution of collective action: Lessons from watershed management in Haiti
by Anderson White, T. & Ford Runge, C.
- 1699-1712 Social movements and the State: The Politics of health reform in Brazil
by Weyland, Kurt
- 1713-1729 Shifting cultivation and "deforestation": A study from Indonesia
by Angelsen, Arild
- 1731-1744 Enhancing the role of women in crop production: A case study of Igbo women in Nigeria
by Ezumah, Nkoli N. & Di Domenico, Catherine M.
- 1745-1764 Developing a quantitative framework for sustainable resource-use planning in the Brazilian Amazon
by De Almeida, Oriana Trindade & Uhl, Christopher
- 1765-1779 Learning to love the Dutch disease: Evidence from the mineral economies
by Davis, Graham A.
- 1781-1793 The allocation of seigniorage in the Franc Zone: The BEAC and BCEAO regions compared
by Medhora, Rohinton
- 1795-1813 Smuggling and supply response: Coffee in Ethiopia
by Dercon, Stefan & Ayalew, Lulseged
- 1815-1824 Technology transfer to developing countries through engineering firms: The Canadian experience
by Niosi, Jorge & Hanel, Petr & Fiset, Liette
1995, Volume 23, Issue 9
- 1459-1473 Assessing adjustment in Africa
by Mosley, Paul & Subasat, Turan & Weeks, John
- 1475-1494 India and China: Contrasts in economic liberalization?
by Lal, Deepak
- 1495-1506 Links between rural poverty and the environment in developing countries: Asset categories and investment poverty
by Reardon, Thomas & Vosti, Stephen A.
- 1507-1519 Natural resources, national income, and economic growth in Africa
by Winter-Nelson, Alex
- 1521-1554 Participatory approaches in government bureaucracies: Facilitating the process of institutional change
by Thompson, John
- 1555-1573 Fast food in development
by Fass, Simon M.
- 1575-1585 The prevalence of rural poverty in Mexico
by Mckinley, Terry & Alarcon, Diana
- 1587-1599 From exclusion to participation: Turning Senegal's forestry policy around?
by Ribot, Jesse C.
- 1601-1614 Coping with change, complexity and diversity in agriculture -- the case of rhizobium inoculants in Thailand
by Hall, Andrew & Clark, Norman
- 1615-1632 Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities
by Briguglio, Lino
- 1633-1637 Migration of professionals from Fiji to New Zealand: A reduced form supply-demand model
by Gani, Azmat & Ward, Bert D.
1995, Volume 23, Issue 8
- 1247-1263 Participatory learning for sustainable agriculture
by Pretty, Jules N.
- 1265-1275 Property, politics and wildlife conservation
by Naughton-Treves, Lisa & Sanderson, Steven
- 1277-1289 Opportunism and NGOs: Entrepreneurship and green north-south transfers
by Meyer, Carrie A.
- 1291-1302 Democracy, gender and US foreign assistance: Guidelines and lessons
by Hirschmann, David
- 1303-1315 Performance measurement: Lessons learned for development management
by Cook, Thomas J. & Vansant, Jerry & Stewart, Leslie & Adrian, Jamie
- 1317-1334 Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?
by Deininger, Klaus
- 1335-1347 Tea estate rehabilitation in Tanzania
by Faber, Mike
- 1349-1362 NAFTA and Mexico's maize producers
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Anda, Gustavo Gordillo
- 1363-1374 Global and local subcontracting: Space, ethnicity, and the organization of apparel production
by Christerson, Brad & Appelbaum, Richard P.
- 1375-1385 Costs of entry and exit from financial markets and capital flows to developing countries
by Daveri, Francesco
- 1387-1399 Estimating the second economy in Tanzania
by Bagachwa, M. S. D. & Naho, A.
- 1401-1419 Consumption and poverty in Tanzania in 1976 and 1991: A comparison using survey data
by Sarris, Alexander H. & Tinios, Platon
- 1421-1438 The developmental state, government, and Singapore's economic development since 1960
by Huff, W. G.
- 1439-1458 The nature of minimum wages and their effectiveness as a wage floor in Costa Rica, 1976-1991
by Gindling, T. H. & Terrell, Katherine
1995, Volume 23, Issue 7
- 1073-1084 Are Integrated Conservation-Development Projects (ICDPs) Sustainable? On the conservation of large mammals in sub-Saharan Africa
by Barrett, Christopher B. & Arcese, Peter
- 1085-1102 Trees on farms in Malawi: Private investment, public policy, and farmer choice
by Dewees, Peter A.
- 1103-1114 Farm size and non traditional exports: Determinants of participation in world markets
by Collins, Jane L.
- 1115-1127 Incorporating finance into a modified subsector framework: The fertilizer subsector in The Gambia
by Nagarajan, Geetha & Meyer, Richard L.
- 1129-1141 Photovoltaic technology: Markets, economics, and rural development
by Erickson, Jon D. & Chapman, Duane
- 1143-1156 Making a market: Mass privatization in the Czech and Slovak Republics
by Shafik, Nemat
- 1157-1169 Reform strategies in transitional economies: Lessons from Asia
by Rana, Pradumna B.
- 1171-1193 East Asian latecomer firms: Learning the technology of electronics
by Hobday, Mike
- 1195-1214 Comparative advantage in manufacturing as a determinant of industrialization: The Korean case
by Lee, Jaimin
- 1215-1227 Returns to schooling in non-farm self-employment: An econometric case study of Ghana
by Vijverberg, Wim P. M.
- 1229-1245 Western European micro-states and EU autonomous regions: The advantages of size and sovereignty
by Armstrong, Harvey & Read, Robert
1995, Volume 23, Issue 6
- 881-896 The gender dimensions of economic adjustment policies: Potential interactions and evidence to date
by Haddad, Lawrence & Brown, Lynn R. & Richter, Andrea & Smith, Lisa
- 897-912 Governance structures and the durability of economic reforms: Evidence from inflation stabilizations
by Ball, Richard & Rausser, Gordon
- 913-926 Distortions in world food markets in the wake of GATT: Evidence and policy implications
by Valdes, Alberto & Zietz, Joachim
- 927-939 Fighting hunger at the grassroots: Paths to scaling up
by Uvin, Peter
- 941-957 Transforming rural hunters into conservationists: An assessment of community-based wildlife management programs in Africa
by Gibson, Clark C. & Marks, Stuart A.
- 959-973 Economic and ecological perspectives on agriculture in the Eastern Amazon
by Toniolo, Angelica & Uhl, Christopher
- 975-985 The transhipment problem: Smuggling and welfare in Paraguay
by Connely, Michael & Devereux, John & Cortes, Mariluz
- 987-1001 Foreign exchange reform in Iran: Badly designed, badly managed
by Farzin, Y. H.
- 1005-1005 Introduction
by Roe, Emery M.
- 1007-1021 Paradigms and politics: The cultural construction of environmental policy in Ethiopia
by Hoben, Allan
- 1023-1035 False forest history, complicit social analysis: Rethinking some West African environmental narratives
by Fairhead, James & Leach, Melissa
- 1037-1051 Environment, development, crisis, and crusade: Ukambani, Kenya, 1890-1990
by Rocheleau, Dianne E. & Steinberg, Philip E. & Benjamin, Patricia A.
- 1053-1063 Talking claims: Discursive strategies in contesting property
by Fortmann, Louise
- 1065-1069 Except-Africa: Postscript to a special section on development narratives
by Roe, Emery M.
1995, Volume 23, Issue 5
- 705-720 Waiting for change: Adjustment and reform in Cuba
by Pastor, Manuel Jr & Zimbalist, Andrew
- 721-734 Flexibility and economic progress
by Killick, Tony
- 735-750 Fiscal adjustment, financial liberalization, and the dynamics of inflation: Some evidence from Zambia
by Adam, Christopher
- 751-765 Macroeconomic policies and project performance in the social sectors: A model of human capital production and evidence from LDCs
by Kaufmann, Daniel & Wang, Yan
- 767-786 A framework for the analysis of evolving patron-client ties in agrarian economies
by Platteau, Jean-Philippe
- 787-804 Economic factors in farmer adoption of agroforestry: Patterns observed in Western Kenya
by Scherr, Sara J.
- 805-818 Zimbabwe's maize-based Green Revolution: Preconditions for replication
by Eicher, Carl K.
- 819-831 "Maize is life": Malawi's delayed Green Revolution
by Smale, Melinda
- 833-843 More than the politics of decentralization: Local government reform, district development and public administration in Zimbabwe
by Roe, Emery M.
- 845-855 Informal credit markets and economic development in Taiwan
by Tang, Shui-Yan
- 857-868 The crisis in South African gold mining
by Nattrass, Nicoli
- 869-879 Debt, dependence and the demographic Transition: Latin America in to the next century
by Taylor, Alan M.
1995, Volume 23, Issue 4
- 543-556 The nature of economic development
by Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider
- 557-575 Economic reform in developing countries: Some conceptual issues
by Sinha, Radha
- 577-592 A poverty-oriented cost-benefit approach to the analysis of development projects
by Clements, Paul
- 593-601 The state, popular participation, and the voluntary sector
by Clark, John
- 603-615 Commodity exports and the adding-up problem in LDCs: Trade, investment and lending policy
by Schiff, Maurice
- 617-635 Agricultural research effort: Conceptual clarity and measurement
by Rajeswari S.
- 637-649 Political commitment, institutional capacity and tax policy reform in Tanzania
by Morrissey, Oliver
- 651-661 Informal finance in Egypt: "Banks" within banks
by Baydas, Mayada M. & Bahloul, Zakaria & Adams, Dale W.
- 663-678 The Botswana share market and its role in financial and economic development
by Jefferis, Keith
- 679-690 Local government in Bangladesh: Past experiences and yet another try
by Westergaard, Kirsten & Alam, Muhammad Mustafa
- 691-703 The role of foreign direct investment in China's post-1978 economic development
by Chen, Chung & Chang, Lawrence & Zhang, Yimin
1995, Volume 23, Issue 3
- 357-369 Social integration and disintegration: An exploratory analysis of cross-country data
by Klitgaard, Robert & Fedderke, Johannes
- 371-384 Rotating and accumulating savings and credit associations: A development perspective
by Bouman, F. J. A.
- 385-400 Trickling down and scrambling up: The informal sector, food provisioning and local benefits of the Carajas mining "Growth Pole" in the Brazilian Amazon
by Roberts, J. Timmons
- 401-412 The economics of wheat research in developing countries: The one hundred million dollar puzzle
by Maredia, Mywish K. & Eicher, Carl K.
- 413-422 NGOs and seed provision to smallholders in developing countries
by Wiggins, Steve & Cromwell, Elizabeth
- 423-431 Innovation and imitation: Adoption of cocoa by Indonesian smallholders
by Pomp, Marc & Burger, Kees
- 433-448 Financial development and economic growth
by De Gregorio, Jose & Guidotti, Pablo E.
- 449-458 Economic growth in Africa
by Savvides, Andreas
- 459-468 Policies to encourage inflows of technology through foreign multinationals
by Kokko, Ari & Blomstrom, Magnus
- 469-483 Foreign direct investment and income inequality: Further evidence
by Pan-Long Tsai
- 485-502 The restructuring of the Indian automobile industry: Indian state and Japanese capital
by D'costa, Anthony P.
- 503-513 Learning our way out: A conceptual framework for social-environmental learning
by Finger, Matthias & Verlaan, Philomene
- 515-528 Public expenditure policy and the environment: A review and synthesis
by Gupta, Sanjeev & Miranda, Kenneth & Parry, Ian
- 529-535 Export processing zones in the Dominican Republic: A comment on Kaplinsky
by Willmore, Larry
- 537-540 A reply to Willmore
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
1995, Volume 23, Issue 2
- 163-177 Foreign capital and economic development in South Africa: Recent trends and postapartheid prospects
by Padayachee, Vishnu
- 179-192 Capital Intensity in South African Manufacturing and Unemployment, 1972-1990
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 193-210 The macroeconomic effects of direct foreign investment: The case of Thailand
by Jansen, Karel
- 211-232 Measuring capital flight: A case study of Mexico
by Eggerstedt, Harald & Hall, Rebecca Brideau & Van Wijnbergen, Sweder
- 233-241 War, peace and private portfolios
by Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem
- 243-263 Agricultural transformations in India and Northern Nigeria: Exploring the nature of Green Revolutions
by Goldman, Abe & Smith, Joyotee
- 265-279 Did the Green Revolution Concentrate Incomes? A Quantitative Study of Research Reports
by Freebairn, Donald K.
- 281-297 Labor absorption and agricultural development: Bangladesh's experience and predicament
by Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem
- 299-309 Farmers' Responses to the Flood Action Plan (FAP) of Bangladesh: An empirical study
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 311-326 Economic reform and smallholder agriculture in Tanzania: A discussion of recent market liberalization, road rehabilitation, and technology dissemination efforts
by Putterman, Louis
- 327-342 Gender and trade within the household: Observations from rural guatemala
by Katz, Elizabeth G.
- 343-356 Changing returns to education in Taiwan: 1978-1991
by Gindling, T. H. & Goldfarb, Marsha & Chang, Chun-Chig
1995, Volume 23, Issue 1
- 1-7 Introduction
by Humphrey, John
- 9-28 Small shoemakers and fordist giants: Tale of a supercluster
by Schmitz, Hubert
- 29-41 Is there an "industrial district model"? Footwear districts in Italy and Mexico compared
by Rabellotti, Roberta
- 43-56 Of networks and markets: The rise and rise of a South Indian town, the example of Tiruppur's cotton knitwear industry
by Cawthorne, Pamela M.
- 57-71 Technique and system: The spread of Japanese management techniques to developing countries
by Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 73-85 Quality and productivity in the competitive strategies of Brazilian industrial enterprises
by Fleury, Afonso
- 87-101 Flexible production in the auto sector: Industrial reorganization at Ford-Mexico
by Jorge Carrillo, V.
- 103-116 Japanese techniques in Africa? Human resources and industrial restructuring in Zimbabwe
by Posthuma, Anne Caroline
- 117-128 "Japanization": Context and culture in the Indonesian automotive industry
by Harriss, John
- 129-141 Industrial restructuring: Facilitating organizational change at the firm level
by Bessant, John & Kaplinsky, Raphael
- 143-148 Micro-level innovations and competitiveness
by Meyer-Stamer, Jorg
- 149-162 Industrial reorganization in developing countries: From models to trajectories
by Humphrey, John
1994, Volume 22, Issue 12
- 1771-1791 Trust in a rent-seeking world: Health and government transformed in Northeast Brazil
by Tendler, Judith & Freedheim, Sara
- 1793-1809 Grassroots action for resettlement planning: Brazil and beyond
by Hall, Anthony
- 1811-1823 Openness and the market friendly approach to development: Learning the right lessons from development experience
by Singh, Ajit
- 1825-1832 Economic development in the 1990s
by Fishlow, Albert
- 1833-1849 Theories of institutions and economic reform in Africa
by Stein, Howard
- 1851-1867 The no-exit economy: Soft budget constraints and the fate of economic reforms in developing countries
by Raiser, Martin
- 1869-1879 Interest rate policy, taxation and risk
by Harvey, Charles & Jenkins, Carolyn
- 1881-1894 The contribution of small enterprises to employment growth in southern and eastern Africa
by Mead, Donald C.
- 1895-1907 Determinants of credit rationing: A study of informal lenders and formal credit groups in Madagascar
by Zeller, Manfred
- 1909-1919 The public finance of infrastructure: Issues and options
by Swaroop, Vinaya
- 1921-1931 Payoffs from investment in information technology: Lessons from the Asia-Pacific region
by Kraemer, Kenneth L. & Dedrick, Jason
- 1933-1945 Generating and sustaining backward linkages between maquiladoras and local suppliers in Northern Mexico
by Brannon, Jefferey T. & James, Dilmus D. & Lucker, G. William