Networks of Rural Producer Organizations in Uganda: What Can be Done to Make Them Work Better?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Chibanda, M. & Ortmann, Gerald F. & Lyne, Michael C., 2009. "Institutional and governance factors influencing the performance of selected smallholder agricultural cooperatives in KwaZulu-Natal," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(3), pages 1-14, September.
- Hazell, Peter & Poulton, Colin & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: Trajectories and Policy Priorities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1349-1361, October.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," GlobalFood Discussion Papers 121229, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Ruecker, Gerd Robert & Park, Soojin & Ssali, Henry & Pender, John L., 2003. "Strategic Targeting Of Development Policies To A Complex Region: A Gis-Based Stratification Applied To Uganda," Discussion Papers 18726, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- John Baffes, 2006.
"Restructuring Uganda's Coffee Industry: Why Going Back to Basics Matters,"
Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(4), pages 413-436, July.
- Baffes, John, 2006. "Restructuring Uganda's coffee industry : why going back to the basics matters," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4020, The World Bank.
- John Baffes, 2007. "Restructuring Uganda’s Coffee Industry : Why Going Back to the Basics Matters," World Bank Other Operational Studies 9577, The World Bank.
- Catherine Ragasa & Jennifer Golan, 2014.
"The role of rural producer organizations for agricultural service provision in fragile states,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 45(5), pages 537-553, September.
- Ragasa, Catherine & Golan, Jennifer, 2012. "The role of rural producer organizations for agricultural service provision in fragile states:," IFPRI discussion papers 1235, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ragasa, Catherine & Golan, Jennifer, 2012. "The Role of Rural Producer Organizations for Agricultural Service Provision in Fragile States," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124657, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Akwabi-Ameyaw, Kofi, 1997. "Producer cooperative resettlement projects in Zimbabwe: Lessons from a failed agricultural development strategy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 437-456, March.
- Helen Markelova & Esther Mwangi, 2010. "Collective Action for Smallholder Market Access: Evidence and Implications for Africa," Review of Policy Research, Policy Studies Organization, vol. 27(5), pages 621-640, September.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Collion, Marie-Hélène & de Janvry, Alain & Rondot, Pierre & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2008. "Do Village Organizations Make a Difference in African Rural Development? A Study for Senegal and Burkina Faso," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2188-2204, November.
- Latynskiy, Evgeny & Berger, Thomas, 2015. "UTZ certification for groups of smallholder coffee farmers: Hype of hope?," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 229069, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nilsson, Jerker, 2001. "Organisational principles for co-operative firms," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 329-356, September.
- Kwapong, Nana Afranaa & Korugyendo, Patrick Lubega, 2010. "Revival of agricultural cooperatives in Uganda," USSP working papers 10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tanguy Bernard & Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, 2012.
"Returns to Scope? Smallholders' Commercialisation through Multipurpose Cooperatives in Ethiopia,"
Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 21(3), pages 440-464, June.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Seyoum Taffesse, Alemayehu, 2009. "Returns to scope? Smallholders commercialization through multipurpose cooperatives in Ethiopia," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51564, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Poulton, Colin & Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions, and Intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1413-1428, October.
- Uphoff, Norman, 1993. "Grassroots organizations and NGOs in rural development: Opportunities with diminishing states and expanding markets," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 607-622, April.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Spielman, David J., 2009. "Reaching the rural poor through rural producer organizations? A study of agricultural marketing cooperatives in Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 60-69, February.
- Ruth Vargas Hill, 2010. "Liberalisation and Producer Price Risk: Examining Subjective Expectations in the Ugandan Coffee Market," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 19(4), pages 433-458, August.
- Holden, Stein T. & Shiferaw, Bekele & Wik, Mette, 1998. "Poverty, market imperfections and time preferences: of relevance for environmental policy?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 105-130, February.
- Markelova, Helen & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Hellin, Jon & Dohrn, Stephan, 2009. "Collective action for smallholder market access," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-7, February.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126659, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- van Asten, P.J.A. & Wairegi, L.W.I. & Mukasa, D. & Uringi, N.O., 2011. "Agronomic and economic benefits of coffee-banana intercropping in Uganda's smallholder farming systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(4), pages 326-334, April.
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2001. "Market institutions, transaction costs, and social capital in the Ethiopian grain market:," Research reports 124, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Raabe, Katharina & Birner, Regina & Sekher, Madhushree & Gayathridevi, K.G. & Shilpi, Amrita & Schiffer, Eva, 2010. "How to overcome the governance challenges of implementing NREGA," IFPRI discussion papers 963, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Parker, A. Rani & Coleman, Eric & Manyindo, Jacob & Mukuru, Emmanuel & Schultz, Bill, 2020. "Bridging the academic-practitioner gap in RCTs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 127(C).
- Mastewal Yami & Shiferaw Feleke & Tahirou Abdoulaye & Arega D. Alene & Zoumana Bamba & Victor Manyong, 2019. "African Rural Youth Engagement in Agribusiness: Achievements, Limitations, and Lessons," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Hauck, Jennifer & Omann, Ines & Thronicker, Ines & Spekkink, Wouter & Díaz Ayude, Alberto & Maricchiolo, Fridanna & Mock, Mirijam & Quist, Jaco & Pandur, Vlad, 2020. "Understanding actor roles in sustainability initiatives: An exploratory study in five European countries," UFZ Discussion Papers 2/2020, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Mercy Mwambi & Jos Bijman & Patience Mshenga, 2020. "Which type of producer organization is (more) inclusive? Dynamics of farmers’ membership and participation in the decision‐making process," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 213-236, June.
- Jerzy Michalek & Pavel Ciaian & Jan Pokrivcak, 2018.
"The impact of producer organisations on farm performance: A case study of large farms in Slovakia,"
JRC Working Papers
JRC108059, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Pokrivcak, J. & Michalek, J. & Ciaian, P., 2018. "The impact of producer organisations on farm performance: A case study of large farms in Slovakia," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277485, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Siwale, Agatha, 2018. "Can rural producer organisations transform rural production and trade? The case of Zambia's artisanal and small-scale mining associations," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 506-515.
- Liu, Y., 2018. "Determinants and impacts of marketing channel choice among cooperatives members: Evidence from agricultural cooperative in China," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 275898, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Evgeny Latynskiy & Thomas Berger, 2017. "Assessing the Income Effects of Group Certification for Smallholder Coffee Farmers: Agent-based Simulation in Uganda," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(3), pages 727-748, September.
- Delelegne Abera Tefera & Jos Bijman & Maja Slingerland & Gerben Velde & Onno Omta, 2020. "Quality Improvement in African Food Supply Chains: Determinants of Farmer Performance," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 32(1), pages 152-175, January.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Pokrivcak, Jan, 2018. "The impact of producer organizations on farm performance: The case study of large farms from Slovakia☆," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 80-92.
- Benjamín Figueroa-Sandoval & Martín A. Coronado-Minjarez & Eduviges J. García-Herrera & Artemio Ramírez-López & Dora M. Sangerman-Jarquín & Katia A. Figueroa-Rodríguez, 2019. "Production System Diversification and Livelihood in the Drylands of North Central Mexico," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(10), pages 1-14, May.
- Adjin, K. Christophe & Henning, Christian H. C. A., 2019. "Farmers organizations and food availability in Senegal: An impact analysis using a spatial econometrics approach," Working Papers of Agricultural Policy WP2019-07, University of Kiel, Department of Agricultural Economics, Chair of Agricultural Policy.
More about this item
Keywordsrural producer organizations; participatory methods; agricultural development; rural networks; coffee farmers; Sub-Saharan Africa;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:78:y:2016:i:c:p:572-586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.