Contribution of Fisheries and Aquaculture to Food Security and Poverty Reduction: Assessing the Current Evidence
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- World Bank & Food and Agriculture Organization, 2009. "The Sunken Billions : The Economic Justification for Fisheries Reform," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2596, August.
- Robert Arthur & Christopher Mees & Ashley Halls, 2010. "Assessing the impacts of fisheries management science: a review of the Department for International Development's fisheries management science programme," Journal of Development Effectiveness, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 158-172.
- Ben Belton & David C. Little, 2011. "Immanent and Interventionist Inland Asian Aquaculture Development and its Outcomes," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 29(4), pages 459-484, July.
- Goss, Jasper & Burch, David & Rickson, Roy E., 2000. "Agri-Food Restructuring and Third World Transnationals: Thailand, the CP Group and the Global Shrimp Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 513-530, March.
- Xavier Irz & James R. Stevenson & Arnold Tanoy & Portia Villarante & Pierre Morissens, 2007. "The Equity and Poverty Impacts of Aquaculture: Insights from the Philippines," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 25(4), pages 495-516, July.
- Gordon, A. & Pulis, A. & Owusu-Adjei, E., 2011. "Smoked marine fish from Western Region, Ghana: a value chain assessment," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 39520, December.
- Hansen, Henrik & Trifković, Neda, 2014.
"Food Standards are Good – For Middle-Class Farmers,"
Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 226-242.
- Henrik Hansen & Neda Trifković, 2013. "Food Standards are Good – for Middle-Class Farmers," IFRO Working Paper 2013/19, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Bennett, Elizabeth, 2005. "Gender, fisheries and development," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 451-459, September.
- Murshed-E-Jahan, Khondker & Pemsl, Diemuth E., 2011. "The impact of integrated aquaculture-agriculture on small-scale farm sustainability and farmers' livelihoods: Experience from Bangladesh," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(5), pages 392-402, June.
- Andrew Dyck & U. Sumaila, 2010. "Economic impact of ocean fish populations in the global fishery," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 227-243, October.
- Béné, Christophe & Belal, Emma & Baba, Malloum Ousman & Ovie, Solomon & Raji, Aminu & Malasha, Isaac & Njaya, Friday & Na Andi, Mamane & Russell, Aaron & Neiland, Arthur, 2009. "Power Struggle, Dispute and Alliance Over Local Resources: Analyzing 'Democratic' Decentralization of Natural Resources through the Lenses of Africa Inland Fisheries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1935-1950, December.
- Vandergeest, Peter, 2007. "Certification and Communities: Alternatives for Regulating the Environmental and Social Impacts of Shrimp Farming," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1152-1171, July.
- Balgah, Roland Azibo & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 2010. "Targeting of and outreach to the poor by rural development nonprofit organizations in Cameroon," Research in Development Economics and Policy (Discussion Paper Series) 93079, Universitaet Hohenheim, Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics.
- James Wilson & Jean Boncoeur, 2008. "Microeconomic Efficiencies and Macroeconomic Inefficiencies: On Sustainable Fisheries Policies in Very Poor Countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 439-460.
- Bene, Christophe & Cadren, Muriel & Lantz, Frederic, 2000. "Impact of cultured shrimp industry on wild shrimp fisheries: analysis of price determination mechanisms and market dynamics," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(1), June.
- Kaczynski, Vlad M. & Fluharty, David L., 2002. "European policies in West Africa: who benefits from fisheries agreements?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 75-93, March.
- Allison, Edward H. & Ellis, Frank, 2001. "The livelihoods approach and management of small-scale fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 377-388, September.
- U. Srinivasan & William Cheung & Reg Watson & U. Sumaila, 2010. "Food security implications of global marine catch losses due to overfishing," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 183-200, October.
- James R. Wilson & Jean Boncoeur, 2008. "Microeconomic Efficiencies and Macroeconomic Inefficiencies: On Sustainable Fisheries Policies in Very Poor Countries," Post-Print hal-00358129, HAL.
- Crosoer, David & van Sittert, Lance & Ponte, Stefano, 2006. "The integration of South African fisheries into the global economy: Past, present and future," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 18-29, January.
- Randall Brummett, 2011. "Growing Fish to Make Money in Africa," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10427, The World Bank.
- Lungu, A. & Hâ ¿sken, S.M.C., 2010. "Assessment of access to health services and vulnerabilities of female fish traders in the Kafue Flats, Zambia: analysis report," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 39166, December.
- Thorpe, Andy & Whitmarsh, David & Ndomahina, Ernest & Baio, Andrew & Kemokai, Miatta & Lebbie, Thomas, 2009. "Fisheries and failing states: The case of Sierra Leone," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 393-400, March.
- Kaplan, I. M. & Kite-Powell, H. L., 2000. "Safety at sea and fisheries management:: fishermen's attitudes and the need for co-management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 493-497, November.
- Béné, Christophe & Merten, Sonja, 2008. "Women and Fish-for-Sex: Transactional Sex, HIV/AIDS and Gender in African Fisheries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 875-899, May.
- Tran, Nhuong & Bailey, Conner & Wilson, Norbert & Phillips, Michael, 2013. "Governance of Global Value Chains in Response to Food Safety and Certification Standards: The Case of Shrimp from Vietnam," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 325-336.
- Jon G. Sutinen, 2008. "Major Challenges for Fishery Policy Reform: A Political Economy Perspective," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 8, OECD Publishing.
- Mojola, Sanyu A., 2011. "Fishing in dangerous waters: Ecology, gender and economy in HIV risk," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 149-156, January.
- Thorpe, Andy & Reid, Chris & van Anrooy, Raymon & Brugere, Cecile, 2005. "When fisheries influence national policy-making: an analysis of the national development strategies of major fish-producing nations in the developing world," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 211-222, May.
- Ahmed, Mahfuzuddin & Lorica, Mylene H., 2002. "Improving developing country food security through aquaculture development--lessons from Asia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 125-141, April.
- Thyresson, M. & Crona, B. & Nyström, M. & de la Torre-Castro, M. & Jiddawi, N., 2013. "Tracing value chains to understand effects of trade on coral reef fish in Zanzibar, Tanzania," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 246-256.
- Hatanaka, Maki, 2010. "Certification, Partnership, and Morality in an Organic Shrimp Network: Rethinking Transnational Alternative Agrifood Networks," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 706-716, May.
- Toufique, Kazi Ali & Gregory, Rick, 2008. "Common waters and private lands: Distributional impacts of floodplain aquaculture in Bangladesh," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 587-594, December.
- Christophe Béné & Bjørn Hersoug & Edward H. Allison, 2010. "Not by Rent Alone: Analysing the Pro-Poor Functions of Small-Scale Fisheries in Developing Countries," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(3), pages 325-358, May.
- Weirowski, F. & Hall, S.J., 2008. "Public-private partnerships for fisheries and aquaculture: getting started," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 37833, December.
- Ponte, Stefano, 2008. "Greener than Thou: The Political Economy of Fish Ecolabeling and Its Local Manifestations in South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 159-175, January.
- Stefano Ponte & Jesper Raakjaer & Liam Campling, 2007. "Swimming Upstream: Market Access for African Fish Exports in the Context of WTO and EU Negotiations and Regulation," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 25(1), pages 113-138, January.
- Thorpe, Andy & Bennett, Elizabeth, 2004. "Market-Driven International Fish Supply Chains: The Case of Nile Perch from Africa's Lake Victoria," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 7(04).
- Barbara Ntombi Ngwenya & Ketlhatlogile Keta Mosepele & Lapologang Magole, 2012. "A case for gender equity in governance of the Okavango Delta fisheries in Botswana," Natural Resources Forum, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36, pages 109-122, May.
- Chiwaula, L. & Jamu, D. & Chaweza, R. & Nagoli, J., 2012. "The Structure and margins of the Lake Chilwa fisheries in Malawi: a value chain analysis," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 39912, December.
- Windle, M.J.S. & Neis, B. & Bornstein, S. & Binkley, M. & Navarro, P., 2008. "Fishing occupational health and safety: A comparison of regulatory regimes and safety outcomes in six countries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 701-710, July.
- Robert Jensen, 2007. "The Digital Provide: Information (Technology), Market Performance, and Welfare in the South Indian Fisheries Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(3), pages 879-924.
- Campbell, J. & Whittingham, E. & Townsley, P., 2006. "Responding to coastal poverty: should we be doing things differently or doing different things?," IWMI Books, Reports H039122, International Water Management Institute.
- Vo Loc & Simon Bush & Le Sinh & Nguyen Khiem, 2010. "High and low value fish chains in the Mekong Delta: challenges for livelihoods and governance," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 12(6), pages 889-908, December.
- Geheb, Kim & Kalloch, Sarah & Medard, Modesta & Nyapendi, Anne-Therese & Lwenya, Carolyne & Kyangwa, Mercy, 2008. "Nile perch and the hungry of Lake Victoria: Gender, status and food in an East African fishery," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 85-98, February.
- Toufique, Kazi Ali & Belton, Ben, 2014. "Is Aquaculture Pro-Poor? Empirical Evidence of Impacts on Fish Consumption in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 609-620.
- Bell, Johann D. & Kronen, Mecki & Vunisea, Aliti & Nash, Warwick J. & Keeble, Gregory & Demmke, Andreas & Pontifex, Scott & Andréfouët, Serge, 2009. "Planning the use of fish for food security in the Pacific," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 64-76, January.
- Perez-Labajos, Carlos, 2008. "Fishing safety policy and research," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 40-45, January.
- Carneiro, Gonçalo, 2011. "Marine management for human development: A review of two decades of scholarly evidence," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 351-362, May.
- Béné, Christophe & Steel, Elisabeth & Luadia, Billy Kambala & Gordon, Ann, 2009. "Fish as the "bank in the water" - Evidence from chronic-poor communities in Congo," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 108-118, February.
- Brummett, Randall E. & Gockowski, James & Pouomogne, Victor & Muir, James, 2011. "Targeting agricultural research and extension for food security and poverty alleviation: A case study of fish farming in Central Cameroon," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 805-814.
- Bose, Manik Lal & Dey, Madan Mohan, 2007. "Food and Nutritional Security in Bangladesh: Going beyond Carbohydrate Counts," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 20(2).
- Bene, Christophe & Cadren, Muriel & Lantz, Frederic, 2000. "Impact of cultured shrimp industry on wild shrimp fisheries: analysis of price determination mechanisms and market dynamics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 55-68, June.
- Kent, George, 1997. "Fisheries, food security, and the poor," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 393-404, October.
- Charlotte Tindall & Katrien Holvoet, 2008. "From the Lake to the Plate: Assessing gender vulnerabilities throughout the fisheries chain," Development, Palgrave Macmillan;Society for International Deveopment, vol. 51(2), pages 205-211, June.
- Madan M. Dey & Ferdinand J. Paraguas & Patrick Kambewa & Diemuth E. Pemsl, 2010. "The impact of integrated aquaculture-agriculture on small-scale farms in Southern Malawi," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(1), pages 67-79, January.
- Meryl J Williams, 2008. "Why Look at Fisheries through a Gender Lens?," Development, Palgrave Macmillan;Society for International Deveopment, vol. 51(2), pages 180-185, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:10:y:2018:i:5:p:1453-:d:144949 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jessica Blythe & Reuben Sulu & Daykin Harohau & Rebecca Weeks & Anne-Maree Schwarz & David Mills & Michael Phillips, 2017. "Social Dynamics Shaping the Diffusion of Sustainable Aquaculture Innovations in the Solomon Islands," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(1), pages 1-14, January.
- O.M. Joffre & S.A. Castine & M.J. Phillips & S. Senaratna Sellamuttu & D. Chandrabalan & P. Cohen, 2017. "Increasing productivity and improving livelihoods in aquatic agricultural systems: a review of interventions," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 9(1), pages 39-60, February.
- Sena S. De Silva, 2016. "Culture based fisheries in Asia are a strategy to augment food security," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 8(3), pages 585-596, June.
- repec:eee:jfpoli:v:75:y:2018:i:c:p:68-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Upali S. Amarasinghe & P. A. Don Ajith Kumara & Sena S. De Silva, 2016. "A rationale for introducing a subsidiary fishery in tropical reservoirs and lakes to augment inland fish production: case study from Sri Lanka," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 8(4), pages 769-781, August.
More about this item
Keywordspoverty reduction; food security and nutrition; development; fisheries; aquaculture;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:79:y:2016:i:c:p:177-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.