Food and Nutritional Security in Bangladesh: Going beyond Carbohydrate Counts
The progress towards achieving household nutritional food-security in Bangladesh has remained slow. So far the food security is cereal-based (mainly rice) and food basket has not yet diversified towards high nutritive/ quality food. This article has examined the expenditure inequalities in the dietary pattern and incidence of poverty in Bangladesh by using household income, expenditure and food consumption survey data. Results have shown wide-spread inequalities in income and expenditure distribution. Among food items, the inequalities have been found very low for cereals and high for livestock and horticulture commodities and various types of fish species in both rural and urban areas. The analysis of food poverty, its depth and severity has revealed a typical hidden poverty that could not be brought up by analyzing economic poverty. The food poverty has been found high for pulses, horticulture and livestock commodities among both economically rich and poor households. Fish, livestock, horticulture and pulses sectors should be accorded high priority to diversify the dietary pattern towards high quality food and improve the nutritional food-security of households in Bangladesh.
Volume (Year): 20 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.geocities.com/aeraindia/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahabub Hossain & Firdousi Naher & Quazi Shahabuddin, 2005.
"Food Security and Nutrition in Bangladesh: Progress and Determinants,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 2(2), pages 103-132.
- Hossain, Mahabub & Naher, Firdousi & Shahabuddin, Quazi, 2005. "Food Security and Nutrition in Bangladesh: Progress and Determinants," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 2(2).
- Graham Pyatt & Chau-nan Chen & John Fei, 1980. "The Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(3), pages 451-473.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Wodon, Quentin T., 1999. "Growth, poverty, and inequality : a regional panel for Bangladesh," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2072, The World Bank.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aerrae:47329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.