Opportunity-sensitive poverty measurement
This paper offers an axiomatic characterization of two classes of poverty measures that are sensitive to inequality of opportunity -- one a strict subset of the other. The proposed indices are sensitive not only to income shortfalls from the poverty line, but also to differences in the opportunities faced by people with different predetermined characteristics, such as race or family background. Dominance conditions are established for each class of measures and a sub-family of scalar indices, based on a rank-dependent aggregation of type-specific poverty levels, is also introduced. In empirical analysis using household survey data from eighteen European countries in 2005, substantial differences in country rankings based on standard Foster-Greer-Thorbecke indices and on the new opportunity-sensitive indices are found. Cross-country differences in opportunity-sensitive poverty are decomposed into a level effect, a distribution effect, and a population composition effect.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Arnaud LEFRANC, Nicolas PISTOLESI, Alain TRANNOY, 2009.
"Equality of opportunity and luck: De nitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
THEMA Working Papers
2009-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Lefranc, Arnaud & Pistolesi, Nicolas & Trannoy, Alain, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1189-1207, December.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008.
"The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4659, The World Bank.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521887427 is not listed on IDEAS
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.B. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2005.
"Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
133, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- John DiNardo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1995.
"Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DiNardo, John & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1996. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1001-44, September.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: a Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nidardo, J. & Fortin, N. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Papers 93-94-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche 9406, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk Van de Gaer, 2003.
"Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
wpeoeos, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Erwin Ooghe & Erik Schokkaert & Dirk gaer, 2007. "Equality of Opportunity versus Equality of Opportunity Sets," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 209-230, February.
- OOGHE, Erwin & SCHOKKAERT, Erik & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, . "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1960, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Ooghe & E. Schokkaert & D. Van De Gaer, 2004. "Equality of opportunity versus equality of opportunity sets," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/240, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Chambaz, Christine & Maurin, Eric, 1998. "Atkinson and Bourguignon's Dominance Criteria: Extended and Applied to the Measurement of Poverty in France," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(4), pages 497-513, December.
- Vito Peragine, 2004. "Ranking Income Distributions According to Equality of Opportunity," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 11-30, April.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2008.
"Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199215911, March.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Vito Peragine, 2013.
"Ex Ante Versus Ex Post Equality of Opportunity,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(317), pages 118-130, 01.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521715348 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koen Decancq & Tim Goedemé & Karel Van den Bosch & Josefine Vanhille, 2013. "The Evolution of Poverty in the European Union: Concepts, Measurement and Data," ImPRovE Working Papers 13/01, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6728. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.