The impact of integrated aquaculture-agriculture on small-scale farm sustainability and farmers' livelihoods: Experience from Bangladesh
Intensification of agriculture often requires external inputs, has negative environmental effects and increases risk, especially for small-scale producers. Integrated aquaculture-agriculture (IAA) instead uses on-farm synergy effects of crop and fish production. The impact of long-term IAA training provided to small-scale farmers in Bangladesh is assessed using panel data from 260 project and 126 control farmers who were monitored from 2002/2003 to 2005/2006. We find that the training had a significant positive impact on farmers' technical efficiency, total factor productivity and net incomes. These result in higher food consumption and better nutrition for trained households compared to control farmers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gupta, M.V. & Sollows, J.D. & Mazid, M.A. & Rahman, A. & Hussain, M.G. & Dey, M.M., 1998. "Integrating aquaculture with rice farming in Bangladesh: feasibility and economic viability, its adoption and impact," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 13197.
- Edwards, P. & Pullin, R.S.V. & Gartner, J.A., 1988. "Research and education for the development of integrated crop-livestock-fish farming systems in the tropics," Working Papers, The WorldFish Center, number 1926.
- Nhan, Dang K. & Phong, Le T. & Verdegem, Marc J.C. & Duong, Le T. & Bosma, Roel H. & Little, David C., 2007. "Integrated freshwater aquaculture, crop and livestock production in the Mekong delta, Vietnam: Determinants and the role of the pond," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 445-458, May.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Ahmed, Mahfuzuddin & Abdur Rab, M. & Bimbao, Mary Ann P., 1995. "Aquaculture technology adoption in Kapasia Thana, Bangladesh: some preliminary results from farm record-keeping data," Technical Reports 44730, Worldfish Center.
- Prein, M., 2002. "Integration of aquaculture into crop-animal systems in Asia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 127-146.
- Edwards, Peter & Pullin, Roger S.V. & Gartner, J.A., 1988. "Research and education for the development of integrated crop-livestock-fish farming systems in the tropics," Technical Reports 44685, Worldfish Center.
- Pant, Jharendu & Demaine, Harvey & Edwards, Peter, 2005. "Bio-resource flow in integrated agriculture-aquaculture systems in a tropical monsoonal climate: a case study in Northeast Thailand," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 203-219, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:104:y:2011:i:5:p:392-402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.