Wheat Productivity, Efficiency, and Sustainability: A Stochastic Production Frontier Analysis
This paper uses the farm-level survey data to estimate the stochastic frontier production function incorporating inefficiency effects. Sufficient evidence of positive relationship between wheat productivity and higher and balanced use of fertiliser nutrients was present. The productivity showed an inverse relationship with the proportionate farm area allocated to rice production and illustrated no association with the proportion of farm area under cotton. The average technical efficiency at wheat farms was about 68 percent. An inverse relationship was observed between technical efficiency and farm size. The farmers with greater access to credit and located closer to the markets were found more efficient. The small farmers are not only producing at a lower level but are also operating relatively farther from the production frontier. The results also revealed that wheat growers in Punjab are comparatively more efficient than their counterparts in Sindh and NWFP.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:||2002|
|Publication status:||Published in The Pakistan Development Review 41.4(2002): pp. 643-663|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- George E. Battese & Sohail J. Malik & Sumiter Broca, 1993. "Production Functions for Wheat Farmers in Selected Districts of Pakistan: An Application of a Stochastic Frontier Production Function with Time-varying Inefficiency Effects," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 233-268.
- Bashir Ahmad & Munir Ahmad & Zulfiqar Ahmad Gill, 1998. "Restoration of Soil Health for Achieving Sustainable Growth in Agriculture," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 997-1015.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- K.P. Kalirajan & M.B. Obwona & S. Zhao, 1996. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Agricultural Growth before and after Reforms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 331-338.
- Jamison, Dean T. & Moock, Peter R., 1984. "Farmer education and farm efficiency in Nepal: The role of schooling, extension services, and cognitive skills," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 67-86, January.
- Muhammad Iqbal & M. Azeem Khan & Munir Ahmad, 2001. "Determinants of Higher Wheat Productivity in Irrigated Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 40(4), pages 753-766.
- Rejesus, Roderick M. & Heisey, Paul W. & Smale, Melinda, 1999. "Sources of Productivity Growth in Wheat: A Review of Recent Performance and Medium- to Long-Term Prospects," Economics Working Papers 7693, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center.
- Munir Ahmad & Azkar Ahmad, 1998. "An Analysis of the Sources of Wheat Output Growth in the Barani Area of the Punjab," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(3), pages 231-249.
- George E. Battese & Sohail J. Malik & Manzoor A. Gill, 1996. "An Investigation Of Technical Inefficiencies Of Production Of Wheat Farmers In Four Districts Of Pakistan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 37-49.
- Munir Ahmad, 2001. "Agricultural Productivity Growth Differential in Punjab, Pakistan: A District-level Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 1-25.
- Munir Ahmad & Sarfraz Khan Qureshi, 1999. "Recent Evidence on Farm Size and Land Productivity: Implications for Public Policy," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 1135-1153.
- Munir Ahmad & M. Ghaffar Chaudhry & Ghulam Mustafa Chaudhry, 2000. "Some Non-price Explanatory Variables in Fertiliser Demand: The Case of Irrigated Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 477-486.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3672. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.