Policy Reform And Productivity Change In Chinese Agriculture: A Distance Function Approach
Agricultural policy reform has been an important source of change in the Chinese agricultural sector. The reforms led to productivity growth and helped China in pursuing its self- sufficiency goal especially in the grain sector. To analyse whether observable productivity growth stems from technologically induced components, or from the market induced parts, a multi-input-multi-output model is derived using an econometric distance function framework. A decomposition allows to distinguish allocative effects, scale effects, technological change, and technical efficiency change. Data on farms in Zhejiang from 1986 to 1999 are used to analyse the impact of policy reform.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Guo & Rozelle, Scott & Brandt, Loren, 1998.
"Tenure, land rights, and farmer investment incentives in China,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Li, Guo & Rozelle, Scott & Brandt, Loren, 1998. "Tenure, land rights, and farmer investment incentives in China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 63-71, September.
- Schmidt, Peter, 1988. "Estimation of a fixed-effect Cobb-Douglas system using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 361-380, March.
- Bernhard Brümmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- Wen, Guanzhong James, 1993. "Total Factor Productivity Change in China's Farming Sector: 1952-1989," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 1-41, October.
- Shenggen Fan, 2000.
"Technological change, technical and allocative efficiency in Chinese agriculture: the case of rice production in Jiangsu,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 1-12.
- Fan, Shenggen, 1999. "Technological change, technical and allocative efficiency in Chinese agriculture: the case of rice production in Jiangsu," EPTD discussion papers 39, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005.
"A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003. "A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions," CEPA Working Papers Series WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Jirong Wang & Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1996. "A Shadow-Price Frontier Measurement of Profit Efficiency in Chinese Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 146-156.
- Wu, Shunxiang, et al, 2001. "Productivity Growth and Its Components in Chinese Agriculture after Reforms," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 375-91, October.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1996. "Production Function Estimation: Reviving the Primal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 431-38, March.
- H. Son Nghiem & T. Coelli, 2002. "The Effect of Incentive Reforms Upon Productivity: Evidence from the Vietnamese Rice Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 74-93.
- Huang,Yiping, 1998. "Agricultural Reform in China," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521620550, Junio.
- D T Nguyen & Harry X Wu, 1993. "The Impacts of Economic Reforms on Chinese Agricultural Performance," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1993-09, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Carter, Colin A. & Estrin, Andrew J., 2001.
"Market Reforms Versus Structural Reforms in Rural China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 527-541, September.
- Carter, Colin A. & Estrin, Andrew J., 2001. "Market Reforms Versus Structural Reforms In Rural China," Working Papers 11965, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Peter Midmore & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2004. "Parametric Decomposition of Output Growth Using A Stochastic Input Distance Function," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1044-1057.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Robin Sickles & David Good & Lullit Getachew, 2002. "Specification of Distance Functions Using Semi- and Nonparametric Methods with an Application to the Dynamic Performance of Eastern and Western European Air Carriers," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 133-155, January.
- Luis Orea, 2002. "Parametric Decomposition of a Generalized Malmquist Productivity Index," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 5-22, July.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae03:25896. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.