Market Reforms Versus Structural Reforms in Rural China
This paper adds to the debate on the impact of market reforms versus structural reforms in explaining agricultural output growth in China. A multiple-output stochastic frontier and a technical inefficiency equation are estimated using provincial data on the rural economy from 1986 to 1995. Grain self-sufficiency policies and incomplete market reforms in the 1980s and 1990s led to allocative inefficiency. Agricultural disinvestment shrunk the production frontier and the fragmentation of land holdings reduced technical efficiency. China's rural economic reform is far from being complete.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shujie Yao & Zinan Liu, 1998. "Determinants of Grain Production and Technical Efficiency in China," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 171-184.
- Huang,Yiping, 1998. "Agricultural Reform in China," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521620550, November.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Catherine J. Morrison Paul & Warren E. Johnston & Gerald A. G. Frengley, 2000. "Efficiency in New Zealand Sheep and Beef Farming: The Impacts of Regulatory Reform," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 325-337, May.
- Grosskopf, S. & Margaritis, D. & Valdmanis, V., 1995. "Estimating output substitutability of hospital services: A distance function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 575-587, February.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Shenggen Fan, 2000.
"Technological change, technical and allocative efficiency in Chinese agriculture: the case of rice production in Jiangsu,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 1-12.
- Fan, Shenggen, 1999. "Technological change, technical and allocative efficiency in Chinese agriculture: the case of rice production in Jiangsu," EPTD discussion papers 39, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Zhong, Funing & Carter, Colin A., 1991. "Will Market Prices Enhance Chinese Agriculture?: A Test Of Regional Comparative Advantage," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 1996. "Technological change: Rediscovering the engine of productivity growth in China's rural economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 337-369, May.
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- Xiao-Yuan Dong, 2000. "Public investment, social services and productivity of Chinese household farms," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 100-122.
- Jirong Wang & Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1996. "A Shadow-Price Frontier Measurement of Profit Efficiency in Chinese Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 146-156.
- Findlay, Christopher, 2004. "Policy reform in small," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 422-426, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:29:y:2001:i:3:p:527-541. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.