Doubts on input quality: The effect of inaccurate fertilizer content on the estimation of production functions and technical efficiency
Household survey responses regarding levels of input use are sometimes affected by bias of which even the households themselves are not aware. Some examples include poor quality seed with a mixture of the fertile and infertile types, and pesticide content that has been substituted with less effective chemicals. We analyze in our paper the effect of low quality fertilizer, which contains less nitrogen than is advertised on the packaging. We show that this could lead to bias in the estimation of marginal effect and technical efficiency. Using panel data from the Hebei province of China, we calculate the magnitude of the bias across different levels of fertilizer quality. We find that the bias could be between -2% and -7% for marginal effect of fertilizer at mean input levels, and between 1% and 4% for technical efficiency.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Russell L. Lamb, 2003. "Fertilizer Use, Risk, and Off-Farm Labor Markets in the Semi-Arid Tropics of India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 359-371.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1994.
"Efficiency in agricultural production: the case of peasant farmers in eastern Paraguay,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1994. "Efficiency in agricultural production: The case of peasant farmers in eastern Paraguay," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 27-37, January.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Joseph A. Herriges, 1994.
"Input Demand Under Yield and Revenue Insurance,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
94-wp127, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Levi, Maurice D, 1973. "Errors in the Variables Bias in the Presence of Correctly Measured Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 985-86, September.
- Battese, G. E. & Rambaldi, A. N. & Wan, G. H., 1995.
"A Stochastic Frontier Production Function with Flexible Risk Properties,"
1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia
148840, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- G. Battese & A. Rambaldi & G. Wan, 1997. "A Stochastic Frontier Production Function with Flexible Risk Properties," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 269-280, August.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, R. E. & Zilberman, D., 1997.
"Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach,"
Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 211-222, December.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, R.E. & Zilberman, D., 1997. "Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 17(2-3), December.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, Richard E. & Zilberman, David, 1994. "Estimation of Farmers' Risk Attitude: An Econometric Approach," Working Papers 197812, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Wang, Jirong & Cramer, Gail L. & Wailes, Eric J., 1996. "Production efficiency of Chinese agriculture: evidence from rural household survey data," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 17-28, September.
- Dwayne Benjamin & Loren Brandt & John Giles, 2004.
"The Evolution of Income Inequality in Rural China,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-654, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Liverpool-Tasie, Saweda & Olaniyan, Babatunde & Salau, Sheu & Sackey, James, 2010. "A review of fertilizer policy issues in Nigeria:," NSSP working papers 19, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chen, Adam Zhuo & Huffman, Wallace E. & Rozelle, Scott, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Of Chinese Grain Production: A Stochastic Production Frontier Approach," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22116, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Stijn Reinhard & C.A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 1999. "Econometric Estimation of Technical and Environmental Efficiency: An Application to Dutch Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 44-60.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002.
"Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture,"
0201001, EconWPA, revised 06 Jan 2002.
- Fernandez C. & Koop G. & Steel M.F.J., 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 432-442, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Multiple-output production with undesirable output: An application to nitrogen surplus in agriculture," ESE Discussion Papers 34, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, Antonio E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis Of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review Of The Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Bernhard Br�mmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- Babcock, Bruce A., 1992. "Effects of Uncertainty on Optimal Nitrogen Applications (The)," Staff General Research Papers 10588, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bound, John & Brown, Charles & Mathiowetz, Nancy, 2001. "Measurement error in survey data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 59, pages 3705-3843 Elsevier.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.