Aquaculture, fisheries, poverty and food security
Fisheries and aquaculture play important roles in providing food and income in many developing countries, either as a stand-alone activity or in association with crop agriculture and livestock rearing. The aim of this paper is to identify how these contributions of fisheries and aquaculture to poverty reduction and food security can be enhanced while also addressing the need for a sustainability transition in over-exploited and over-capitalized capture fisheries, and for improved environmental performance and distributive justice in a rapidly growing aquaculture sector. The focus of the paper is on the poverty and food security concerns of developing countries, with an emphasis on the least developed. The emphasis is on food security rather than poverty reduction policies and strategies, although the two are of course related. The food security agenda is very much to the fore at present; fish prices rose along with other food prices in 2007-8 and as fish provide important nutritional benefits to the poor, food security has become a primary concern for sector policy.
|This book is provided by The WorldFish Center in its series Working Papers with number 39575 and published in 2011.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +60 4 626 1606
Fax: +60 4 626 5530
Web page: http://www.worldfishcenter.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman, 2002. "Inequality and Violent Crime," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 1-40, April.
- Robinson, James A & Torvik, Ragnar & Verdier, Thierry, 2002.
"Political Foundations of the Resource Curse,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3422, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Merilee S. Grindle, 2007. "Good Enough Governance Revisited," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 25(5), pages 533-574, 09.
- Derek Headey & Shenggen Fan, 2008.
"Anatomy of a crisis: the causes and consequences of surging food prices,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 375-391, November.
- Headey, Derek & Fan, Shenggen, 2008. "Anatomy of a crisis: The causes and consequences of surging food prices," IFPRI discussion papers 831, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001.
"Growth, Inequality and Poverty: Looking Beyond Averages,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1803-1815, November.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "Growth, inequality, and poverty : looking beyond averages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2558, The World Bank.
- Satz, Debra, 2010. "Why Some Things Should Not Be for Sale: The Moral Limits of Markets," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195311594, March.
- Hazell, Peter & Poulton, Colin & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: Trajectories and Policy Priorities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1349-1361, October.
- Sowman, Merle & Cardoso, Paula, 2010. "Small-scale fisheries and food security strategies in countries in the Benguela Current Large Marine Ecosystem (BCLME) region: Angola, Namibia and South Africa," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1163-1170, November.
- Thilsted, S.H. & Roos, N. & Hassan, N., 1997. "The role of small indigenous fish species in food and nutrition security in Bangladesh," Naga, The WorldFish Center, vol. 20(3/4), pages 82-84;102-1.
- Andrew Dyck & U. Sumaila, 2010. "Economic impact of ocean fish populations in the global fishery," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 227-243, October.
- U. Srinivasan & William Cheung & Reg Watson & U. Sumaila, 2010. "Food security implications of global marine catch losses due to overfishing," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 183-200, October.
- Hanna, Susan S., 1999. "Strengthening governance of ocean fishery resources," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 275-286, November.
- Tim Lankester, 2007. "Tim Lankester on Paul Collier, The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 8(3), pages 195-199, July.
- Stanley, Denise L., 2003. "The Economic Impact of Mariculture on a Small Regional Economy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 191-210, January.
- Frank Ellis & H Ade Freeman, 2004. "Rural Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction Strategies in Four African Countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 1-30.
- Brummett, Randall E. & Lazard, Jérôme & Moehl, John, 2008. "African aquaculture: Realizing the potential," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 371-385, October.
- Edward, Peter, 2006. "Examining Inequality: Who Really Benefits from Global Growth?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1667-1695, October.
- James Wilson & Jean Boncoeur, 2008. "Microeconomic Efficiencies and Macroeconomic Inefficiencies: On Sustainable Fisheries Policies in Very Poor Countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 439-460.
- Geheb, Kim & Kalloch, Sarah & Medard, Modesta & Nyapendi, Anne-Therese & Lwenya, Carolyne & Kyangwa, Mercy, 2008. "Nile perch and the hungry of Lake Victoria: Gender, status and food in an East African fishery," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 85-98, February.
- Thorpe, Andy & Reid, Chris & van Anrooy, Raymon & Brugere, Cecile & Becker, Denis, 2006. "Asian development and poverty reduction strategies: Integrating fisheries into the development discourse," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 385-400, October.
- Wiggins, Steve & Kirsten, Johann & Llambí, Luis, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1341-1348, October.
- Nielsen, Max, 2009. "Modelling fish trade liberalisation: Does fish trade liberalisation result in welfare gains or losses?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Pomeroy, Robert & Thi Nguyen, Kim Anh & Thong, Ha Xuan, 2009. "Small-scale marine fisheries policy in Vietnam," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 419-428, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfi:wfbook:39575. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Ko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.