Barriers to Political Analysis in Aid Bureaucracies: From Principle to Practice in DFID and the World Bank
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2011. "Aid Quality and Donor Rankings," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1907-1917.
- Winters, Matthew S. & Martinez, Gina, 2015. "The Role of Governance in Determining Foreign Aid Flow Composition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 516-531.
- Levy, Brian, 2014. "Working with the Grain: Integrating Governance and Growth in Development Strategies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199363810.
- Easterly, William & Williamson, Claudia R., 2011.
"Rhetoric versus Reality: The Best and Worst of Aid Agency Practices,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1930-1949.
- Easterly, William & Williamson, Claudia R., 2011. "Rhetoric versus reality: the best and worst of aid agency practices," MPRA Paper 39139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Copestake & Richard Williams, 2014. "Political-Economy Analysis, Aid Effectiveness and the Art of Development Management," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 32(1), pages 133-153, January.
- Hickey, Sam, 2013. "Beyond the Poverty Agenda? Insights from the New Politics of Development in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 194-206.
- Henson, Spencer & Lindstrom, Johanna, 2013. "“A Mile Wide and an Inch Deep”? Understanding Public Support for Aid: The Case of the United Kingdom," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 67-75.
- Bertin Martens, 2005. "Why Do Aid Agencies Exist?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(6), pages 643-663, November.
- Humphrey, Chris & Michaelowa, Katharina, 2013. "Shopping for Development: Multilateral Lending, Shareholder Composition and Borrower Preferences," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 142-155.
- Lebovic, James H., 2014. "The Millennium Challenge Corporation: Organizational Constraints on US Foreign Aid, 2004–11," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 116-129.
- Laura Routley & David Hulme, 2013. "Donors, development agencies and the use of political economic analysis: getting to grips with the politics of development?," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series esid-019-13, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Nelson, Joan M., 1996. "Promoting policy reforms: The twilight of conditionality?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1551-1559, September.
- David Booth, 2011. "Aid, Institutions and Governance: What Have We Learned?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 29, pages 5-26, January.
- Kilby, Christopher, 2011.
"What Determines the Size of Aid Projects?,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1981-1994.
- Christopher Kilby, 2010. "What Determines the Size of Aid Projects?," Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series 10, Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics.
- Alex Duncan & Gareth Williams, 2012. "Making Development Assistance More Effective Through Using Political‐economy Analysis: What Has Been Done and What Have We Learned?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 30(2), pages 133-148, March.
- Verena Fritz & Kai Kaiser & Brian Levy, 2009. "Problem-Driven Governance and Political Economy Analysis : Good Practice Framework," World Bank Other Operational Studies 16777, The World Bank.
- Pablo Yanguas, 2014. "Leader, Protester, Enabler, Spoiler: Aid Strategies and Donor Politics in Institutional Assistance," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 32(3), pages 299-312, May.
- Haas, Peter M., 1992. "Introduction: epistemic communities and international policy coordination," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(01), pages 1-35, December.
- Haley J. Swedlund, 2013. "From Donorship To Ownership? Budget Support And Donor Influence In Rwanda And Tanzania," Public Administration & Development, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(5), pages 357-370, December.
- Ghosh, Anirban & Kharas, Homi, 2011. "The Money Trail: Ranking Donor Transparency in Foreign Aid," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1918-1929.
- Nilima Gulrajani, 2014. "Organising for Donor Effectiveness: An Analytical Framework for Improving Aid Effectiveness," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 32(1), pages 89-112, January.
- Vestergaard, Jakob & Wade, Robert H., 2013. "Protecting Power: How Western States Retain The Dominant Voice in The World Bank’s Governance," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 153-164.
- Devi Sridhar & Ngaire Woods, 2013. "Trojan Multilateralism: Global Cooperation in Health," Global Policy, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 4(4), pages 325-335, November.
- Brautigam, Deborah A & Knack, Stephen, 2004. "Foreign Aid, Institutions, and Governance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 255-285, January.
- Sue Unsworth, 2009. "What's politics got to do with it?: Why donors find it so hard to come to terms with politics, and why this matters," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(6), pages 883-894.
- Goran Hyden, 2008. "After the Paris Declaration: Taking on the Issue of Power," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(3), pages 259-274, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
More about this item
Keywordsforeign aid; aid effectiveness; political economy analysis; DFID; United Kingdom; World Bank;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:74:y:2015:i:c:p:209-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.