The Timeliness and Cost-Effectiveness of the Local and Regional Procurement of Food Aid
Local and regional procurement (LRP) of food aid is often claimed to lead to quicker and more cost-effective response. We generate timeliness and cost-effectiveness estimates by comparing US-funded LRP activities in nine countries against in-kind, transoceanic food aid shipments from the US to the same countries during the same timeframe. Procuring food locally or distributing cash or vouchers results in a time savings of nearly 14weeks, a 62 percent gain. Cost-effectiveness varies significantly by commodity type. Procuring grains locally saved over 50 percent, on average, while local procurement of processed commodities was not always cost-effective.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garg, Teevrat & Barrett, Christopher B. & Gómez, Miguel I. & Lentz, Erin C. & Violette, William J., 2013. "Market Prices and Food Aid Local and Regional Procurement and Distribution: A Multi-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 19-29.
- Elizabeth R. Bageant & Christopher B. Barrett & Erin C. Lentz, 2010.
"Food Aid and Agricultural Cargo Preference,"
Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 624-641.
- Christopher Barrett & Robert Bell & Erin Lentz & Daniel Maxwell, 2009. "Market information and food insecurity response analysis," The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 151-168, June.
- Tschirley, David L. & del Castillo, Anne Marie, 2007. "Local and Regional Food Aid Procurement: An Assessment of Experience in Africa and Elements of Good Donor Practice," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54562, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Tschirley, David L. & del Castillo, Anne Marie, 2007. "Local and Regional Food Aid Procurement: An Assessment of Experience in Africa and Elements of Good Donor Practice," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54486, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Clay, Edward & Benson, Charlotte, 1990. "Aid for food : Acquisition of commodities in developing countries for food aid in the 1980s," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 27-43, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:49:y:2013:i:c:p:9-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.