Privatization and Renationalization: What Went Wrong in Bolivia’s Water Sector?
This paper investigates the impact of water service privatization in Bolivia. It compares the performance of cities in which the service was privatized (La Paz and El Alto) with a city in which it is managed as a cooperative (Santa Cruz de la Sierra) and one where the service is publicly provided (Cochabamba). We find that access to water by low-income consumers increased under private provision. However, the concessionaire failed to meet the targets stipulated in the contract. The tariff increases required for full cost recovery eventually led to public outrage that forced the government to renationalize the company.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Komives, Kristin, 1999. "Designing pro-poor water and sewer concessions : early lessons from Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2243, The World Bank.
- George R.G. Clarke & Katrina Kosec & Scott Wallsten, 2009.
"Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? Empirical evidence from Latin America,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 327-361.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Kosec, Katrina & Wallsten, Scott, 2004. "Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? - empirical evidence from Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3445, The World Bank.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Kakwani, N., 1993. "Performance in living standards : An international comparison," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 307-336, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:40:y:2012:i:12:p:2564-2577. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.