Public-Private Partnerships for Urban Water Utilities : A Review of Experiences in Developing Countries
This study provides objective information and analysis on the performance of public-private partnerships (PPP) projects in urban water supply and sanitation in developing countries. It reviews the spread of urban water PPP projects during the past 15 years, and assesses whether and how they have helped to improve services and expand access for the populations concerned. The study uses a structured framework to assess the performance of more than 65 large water PPP projects that have been in place for at least five years (three years in the case of management contracts) and that provide services to a combined population of almost 100 million. By population size, this sample represents close to 80 percent of the water PPP projects that were awarded before 2003 and have been active for at least three years. The analysis focuses on the actual impact of these projects for the concerned populations, that is, the net improvements achieved under these partnerships. Chapter two summarizes the historical development of water PPPs in developing countries, reviewing the current state of the market, the rate of contract cancellations, and the evolution of the industry. Chapter three reviews the performance of PPP projects in terms of access, service quality, operational efficiency, and tariffs. Chapter four draws conclusions and lessons on how to make public-private partnership a more viable and sustainable option for improving water supply and sanitation (WSS) services in the developing world.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 2703 and published in 2009.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alcazar, Lorena & Abdala, Manuel A. & Shirley, Mary M., 2000. "The Buenos Aires water concession," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2311, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Omar Chisari & Catherine Waddams Price, 2003.
"Access by the poor in Latin America's utility reform: Subsidies and service obligations,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44068, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Estache, Antonio & Waddams Price, Catherine, 2001. "Access by the Poor in Latin America's Utility Reform Subsidies and Service Obligations," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Stéphane Saussier & Claude Ménard, 2000. "Contractual Choice and Performance the Case of Water Supply in France," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 92(1), pages 385-404.
- Seroa da Motta, Ronaldo & Moreira, Ajax, 2006. "Efficiency and regulation in the sanitation sector in Brazil," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 185-195, September.
- John Nellis, 2007. "Privatising Basic Utilities in Africa: a Rejoinder," One Pager 31, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Kerf, M. & Gray, R.D. & Irwin, T. & Levesque, C. & Taylor, R.R. & Klein, M., 1998. "Concessions for Infrastructure. A Guide to their Design and Award," Papers 399, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Anwandter, Lars & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 2002. "Can public sector reforms improve the efficiency of public water utilities?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 687-700, October.
- Davis, Jennifer, 2004. "Corruption in Public Service Delivery: Experience from South Asia's Water and Sanitation Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 53-71, January.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002.
"Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality,"
54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stephane Straub, 2004.
"Renegotiation of Concession Contracts in Latin America,"
ESE Discussion Papers
103, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stephane, 2003. "Renegotiation of concession contracts in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3011, The World Bank.
- Emanuel Idelovitch & Klas Ringskog, 1995. "Private Sector Participation in Water Supply and Sanitation in Latin America," Reports _017, World Bank Latin America and the Caribean Region Department.
- Katharina Gassner & Alexander Popov & Nataliya Pushak, 2009. "Does Private Sector Participation Improve Performance in Electricity and Water Distribution?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6605, August.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Kosec, Katrina & Wallsten, Scott, 2004.
"Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? - empirical evidence from Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3445, The World Bank.
- George R.G. Clarke & Katrina Kosec & Scott Wallsten, 2009. "Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? Empirical evidence from Latin America," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 327-361.
- Dilip Mookherjee & David McKenzie, 2001.
"The Distributive Impact of Privatization in Latin America: Evidence from Four Countries,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series
dp-128, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- David McKenzie & Dilip Mookherjee, 2003. "The Distributive Impact of Privatization in Latin America: Evidence from Four Countries," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1997.
"Winners and losers from utility privatization in Argentina : lessons from a general equilibrium model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1824, The World Bank.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1999. "Winners and Losers from Utility Privatization in Argentina. Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model," UADE Working Papers 3_1999, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Shirley, Mary M. & L. Colin Xu & Zuluaga, Ana Maria, 2000. "Reforming the urban water system in Santiago, Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2294, The World Bank.
- Philippe Marin & Ada Karina Izaguirre, 2006. "Private Participation in Water : Toward a New Generation of Projects," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10725, The World Bank.
- AndrÈs GÛmez-Lobo & Dante Contreras, 2003. "Water Subsidy Policies: A Comparison of the Chilean and Colombian Schemes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 391-407, December.
- Maria Vagliasindi & Ada Karina Izaguirre, 2007. "Private Participation in Infrastructure in Europe and Central Asia : A Look at Recent Trends," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10647, The World Bank.
- Gabriel Bitrán & Pamela Arellano, 2005. "Regulating Water Services : Sending the Right Signals to Utilities in Chile," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11229, The World Bank.
- Clive Harris & John Hodges & Michael Schur, 2003. "Infrastructure Projects : A Review of Canceled Private Projects," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11329, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"Efficiency effects of "privatization" in Argentina's water and sanitation services,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/167459, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "Efficiency effects of "Privatization" in Argentina's Water and Sanitation Services," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43978, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Barja, Gover & McKenzie, David & Urquiola, Miguel, 2004. "Bolivian capitalization and privatization: Approximation to an evaluation," MPRA Paper 23878, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2005.
- Marcela Meléndez & Andrés Gómez-Lobo Echeñique, 2007. "Social Policy, Regulation and Private Sector water supply: the case of Colombia," Working Papers wp252, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Komives, Kristin, 1999. "Designing pro-poor water and sewer concessions : early lessons from Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2243, The World Bank.
- Richard Franceys & Almud Weitz, 2003. "Public-private community partnerships in infrastructure for the poor," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(8), pages 1083-1098.
- Steven Renzetti, 1999. "Municipal Water Supply and Sewage Treatment: Costs, Prices and Distortions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 688-704, May.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Wallsten, Scott J., 2002. "Universal(ly bad) service - providing infrastructure services to rural and poor urban consumers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2868, The World Bank.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & David Parker, 2005. "Domestic Regulation and the WTO: The Case of Water Services in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(10), pages 1491-1508, October.
- David Parker & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2005.
"Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 513-541.
- Parker, David & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2003. "Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30623, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Penelope J. Brook & Suzanne M. Smith, 2001. "Contracting for Public Services : Output-based Aid and Its Applications," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13978, August.
- Menard, Claude & Clarke, George, 2000. "A transitory regime : water supply in Conakry, Guinea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2362, The World Bank.
- Jacobson, Charles D. & Tarr, Joel A., 1995. "Ownership and financing of infrastructure : historical perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1466, The World Bank.
- Gomez-Lobo, Andres & Foster, Vivien & Halpern, Jonathan, 2000. "Information and modeling issues in designing water and sanitation subsidy schemes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2345, The World Bank.
- Kariuki, Mukami & Schwartz, Jordan, 2005. "Small-scale private service providers of water supply and electricity : a review of incidence, structure, pricing, and operating characteristics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3727, The World Bank.
- Claude Crampes & Antonio Estache, 1996. "Regulating Water Concessions : Lessons from the Buenos Aires concession," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11610, The World Bank.
- Clive Harris, 2003. "Private Participation in Infrastructure in Developing Countries : Trends, Impacts, and Policy Lessons," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15124, August.
- Manuel Mariño & John Stein & Fransico Wulff, 1998. "Management Contracts and Water Utilities : The Case of Monagas State in Venezuela," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11520, The World Bank.
- Lorenzo Bertolini, 2006. "How to Improve Regulatory Transparency : Emerging Lessons from an International Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10733, The World Bank.
- Helen Nankani, 1997. "Testing the Waters : A Phased Approach to a Water Concession in Trinidad and Tobago," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11598, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & V. Foster & Q. Wodon, 2002. "Accounting for Poverty in Infrastructure Reform: Learning from Latin America's Experience," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44108, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Clemencia Torres de Mästle & Ada Karina Izaguirre, 2008. "Recent Trends in Private Activity in Infrastructure : What the Shift Away from Risk Means for Policy," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10612, The World Bank.
- Estache, Antonio, 2005. "PPI partnerships versus PPI divorces in developing countries (or are we switching from PPPI to PPDI?)," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3470, The World Bank.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio, 1991. "Universal service obligations in utility concession contracts and the needs of the poor in Argentina's privatization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2250, The World Bank.
- Vivien Foster & Osvaldo Irusta, 2003. "Does infrastructure reform work for the poor? A case study on the cities of La Paz and El Alto in Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3177, The World Bank.
- Klein, Michael, 1996. "Economic regulation of water companies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1649, The World Bank.
- C. Federico Basañes & Daniel Artana & Fernando Navajas & Santiago Urbiztondo & Eduardo Saavedra & Raimundo Soto & Juan Benavides & Israel Fainboim Yaker & Juan A. Legisa & Janusz A. Ordover & Robert D, 2002. "Second-Generation Reforms in Infrastructure Services," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 46178 edited by C. Federico Basañes & Robert D. Willig, April.
- Shirley, Mary & Walsh, Patrick, 2000. "Public versus private ownership : the current state of the debate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2420, The World Bank.
- Foster, Vivien & Gomez-Lobo, Andres & Halpern, Jonathan, 2000. "Designing direct subsidies for water and sanitation services - Panama : a case study," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2344, The World Bank.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Menard, Claude & Maria Zuluaga, Ana, 2002. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Reform: Urban Water Supply in Guinea," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1517-1537, September.
- Franz Drees-Gross & Jordan Schwartz & Maria Angelica Sotomayor & Alexander Bakalian, 2005. "Output-Based Aid in Water : Lessons in Implementation from a Pilot in Paraguay," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11043, The World Bank.
- repec:idb:brikps:46178 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barja, Gover & Urquiola, Miguel, 2003. "Capitalization and Privatization in Bolivia: An Aproximation to an Evaluation," MPRA Paper 23049, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin A., 1999. "Comparing the performance of public and private water companies in the Asia and Pacific region : what a stochastic costs frontier shows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2152, The World Bank.
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet & Stéphane Saussier & Faye Steiner, 2006. "Public-Private Partnerships and Prices: Evidence from Water Distribution in France," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 149-169, September.
- Richard, Barbara & Triche, Thelma & Apogee Research, Inc., 1994. "Reducing regulatory barriers to private - sector participation in Latin America's water and sanitation services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1322, The World Bank.
- David Haarmeyer & Ashoka Mody, 1998. "Financing Water and Sanitation Projects : The Unique Risks," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11535, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:2703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.