Public-Private Partnerships for Urban Water Utilities : A Review of Experiences in Developing Countries
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Gabriel Bitrán & Pamela Arellano, 2005. "Regulating Water Services : Sending the Right Signals to Utilities in Chile," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11229, The World Bank.
- Gomez-Lobo, Andres & Foster, Vivien & Halpern, Jonathan, 2000. "Information and modeling issues in designing water and sanitation subsidy schemes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2345, The World Bank.
- Katharina Gassner & Alexander Popov & Nataliya Pushak, 2009. "Does Private Sector Participation Improve Performance in Electricity and Water Distribution?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6605, August.
- repec:idb:brikps:46178 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio, 1991. "Universal service obligations in utility concession contracts and the needs of the poor in Argentina's privatization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2250, The World Bank.
- Colin Kirkpatrick & David Parker, 2005. "Domestic Regulation and the WTO: The Case of Water Services in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(10), pages 1491-1508, October.
- Penelope J. Brook & Suzanne M. Smith, 2001. "Contracting for Public Services : Output-based Aid and Its Applications," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13978, July.
- Richard, Barbara & Triche, Thelma & Apogee Research, Inc., 1994. "Reducing regulatory barriers to private - sector participation in Latin America's water and sanitation services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1322, The World Bank.
- Claude Ménard & Stéphane Saussier, 2000. "Contractual Choice and Performance the Case of Water Supply in France," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 92(1), pages 385-404.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Menard, Claude & Maria Zuluaga, Ana, 2002. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Reform: Urban Water Supply in Guinea," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1517-1537, September.
- Xun Wu & Nepomuceno A. Malaluan, 2008. "A Tale of Two Concessionaires: A Natural Experiment of Water Privatisation in Metro Manila," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 45(1), pages 207-229, January.
- David Haarmeyer & Ashoka Mody, 1998. "Financing Water and Sanitation Projects : The Unique Risks," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11535, The World Bank.
- Manuel Mariño & John Stein & Fransico Wulff, 1998. "Management Contracts and Water Utilities : The Case of Monagas State in Venezuela," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11520, The World Bank.
- Marcela Meléndez & Andrés Gómez-Lobo Echeñique, 2007. "Social Policy, Regulation and Private Sector water supply: the case of Colombia," Working Papers wp252, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Clemencia Torres de Mästle & Ada Karina Izaguirre, 2008. "Recent Trends in Private Activity in Infrastructure : What the Shift Away from Risk Means for Policy," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10612, The World Bank.
- Foster, Vivien*Gomez-Lobo, Andres*Halpern, Jonat, 2000. "Designing direct subsidies for water and sanitation services - Panama : a case study," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2344, The World Bank.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1997.
"Winners and losers from utility privatization in Argentina : lessons from a general equilibrium model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1824, The World Bank.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1999. "Winners and Losers from Utility Privatization in Argentina. Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model," UADE Working Papers 3_1999, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stephane Straub, 2003.
"Renegotiation of Concession Contracts in Latin America,"
ESE Discussion Papers
103, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stephane, 2003. "Renegotiation of concession contracts in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3011, The World Bank.
- David McKenzie & Dilip Mookherjee, 2003.
"The Distributive Impact of Privatization in Latin America: Evidence from Four Countries,"
THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION - LACEA, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 161-234, January.
- Dilip Mookherjee & David McKenzie, 2001. "The Distributive Impact of Privatization in Latin America: Evidence from Four Countries," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-128, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- Franz Drees-Gross & Jordan Schwartz & Maria Angelica Sotomayor & Alexander Bakalian, 2005. "Output-Based Aid in Water : Lessons in Implementation from a Pilot in Paraguay," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11043, The World Bank.
- Claude Crampes & Antonio Estache, 1996. "Regulating Water Concessions : Lessons from the Buenos Aires concession," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11610, The World Bank.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin A., 1999. "Comparing the performance of public and private water companies in the Asia and Pacific region : what a stochastic costs frontier shows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2152, The World Bank.
- Kariuki, Mukami & Schwartz, Jordan, 2005. "Small-scale private service providers of water supply and electricity : a review of incidence, structure, pricing, and operating characteristics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3727, The World Bank.
- Helen Nankani, 1997. "Testing the Waters : A Phased Approach to a Water Concession in Trinidad and Tobago," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11598, The World Bank.
- Lorenzo Bertolini, 2006. "How to Improve Regulatory Transparency : Emerging Lessons from an International Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10733, The World Bank.
- AndrÈs GÛmez-Lobo & Dante Contreras, 2003. "Water Subsidy Policies: A Comparison of the Chilean and Colombian Schemes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 391-407, December.
- Philippe Marin & Ada Karina Izaguirre, 2006. "Private Participation in Water : Toward a New Generation of Projects," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10725, The World Bank.
- Kerf, M. & Gray, R.D. & Irwin, T. & Levesque, C. & Taylor, R.R. & Klein, M., 1998. "Concessions for Infrastructure. A Guide to their Design and Award," Papers 399, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Komives, Kristin, 1999. "Designing pro-poor water and sewer concessions : early lessons from Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2243, The World Bank.
- Christophe Torset & Jean-François Soustenain, 2009. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00469550, HAL.
- Richard Franceys & Almud Weitz, 2003. "Public-private community partnerships in infrastructure for the poor," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(8), pages 1083-1098.
- David Parker & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2005.
"Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 513-541.
- Parker, David & Kirkpatrick, Colin, 2003. "Privatisation in Developing Countries: A Review of the Evidence and the Policy Lessons," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30623, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Barja, Gover & McKenzie, David & Urquiola, Miguel, 2004. "Bolivian capitalization and privatization: Approximation to an evaluation," MPRA Paper 23878, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2005.
- George R.G. Clarke & Katrina Kosec & Scott Wallsten, 2009.
"Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? Empirical evidence from Latin America,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 327-361.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Kosec, Katrina & Wallsten, Scott, 2004. "Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? - empirical evidence from Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3445, The World Bank.
- Maria Vagliasindi & Ada Karina Izaguirre, 2007. "Private Participation in Infrastructure in Europe and Central Asia : A Look at Recent Trends," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10647, The World Bank.
- Davis, Jennifer, 2004. "Corruption in Public Service Delivery: Experience from South Asia's Water and Sanitation Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 53-71, January.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005.
"Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Working Papers 54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"Efficiency effects of "Privatization" in Argentina's Water and Sanitation Services,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43978, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "Efficiency effects of "privatization" in Argentina's water and sanitation services," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167459, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Klein, Michael, 1996. "Economic regulation of water companies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1649, The World Bank.
- C. Federico Basañes & Daniel Artana & Fernando Navajas & Santiago Urbiztondo & Eduardo Saavedra & Raimundo Soto & Juan Benavides & Israel Fainboim Yaker & Juan A. Legisa & Janusz A. Ordover & Robert D, 2002. "Second-Generation Reforms in Infrastructure Services," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 46178 edited by C. Federico Basañes & Robert D. Willig, February.
- Barja, Gover & Urquiola, Miguel, 2003. "Capitalization and Privatization in Bolivia: An Aproximation to an Evaluation," MPRA Paper 23049, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vivien Foster & Osvaldo Irusta, 2003. "Does infrastructure reform work for the poor? A case study on the cities of La Paz and El Alto in Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3177, The World Bank.
- Estache, Antonio, 2005. "PPI partnerships versus PPI divorces in developing countries (or are we switching from PPPI to PPDI?)," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3470, The World Bank.
- Steven Renzetti, 1999. "Municipal Water Supply and Sewage Treatment: Costs, Prices and Distortions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 688-704, May.
- Menard, Claude & Clarke, George, 2000. "A transitory regime : water supply in Conakry, Guinea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2362, The World Bank.
- repec:idb:idbbks:310 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shirley, Mary M. & L. Colin Xu & Zuluaga, Ana Maria, 2000. "Reforming the urban water system in Santiago, Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2294, The World Bank.
- Omar Chisari & Antonio Estache & Catherine Waddams Price, 2003.
"Access by the poor in Latin America's utility reform: subsidies and service obligations,"
Chapters,in: Utility Privatization and Regulation, chapter 2
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Estache, Antonio & Waddams Price, Catherine, 2001. "Access by the Poor in Latin America's Utility Reform Subsidies and Service Obligations," WIDER Working Paper Series 075, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Antonio Estache & Omar Chisari & Catherine Waddams Price, 2003. "Access by the poor in Latin America's utility reform: Subsidies and service obligations," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44068, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Shirley, Mary & Walsh, Patrick, 2000. "Public versus private ownership : the current state of the debate," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2420, The World Bank.
- Clive Harris & John Hodges & Michael Schur, 2003. "Infrastructure Projects : A Review of Canceled Private Projects," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11329, The World Bank.
- Clarke, George R.G. & Wallsten, Scott J., 2002. "Universal(ly bad) service - providing infrastructure services to rural and poor urban consumers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2868, The World Bank.
- Alcazar, Lorena & Abdala, Manuel A. & Shirley, Mary M., 2000. "The Buenos Aires water concession," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2311, The World Bank.
- Seroa da Motta, Ronaldo & Moreira, Ajax, 2006. "Efficiency and regulation in the sanitation sector in Brazil," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 185-195, September.
- Anwandter, Lars & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 2002. "Can public sector reforms improve the efficiency of public water utilities?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 687-700, October.
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet & Stéphane Saussier & Faye Steiner, 2006. "Public-Private Partnerships and Prices: Evidence from Water Distribution in France," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 29(1), pages 149-169, September.
- Jacobson, Charles D. & Tarr, Joel A., 1995. "Ownership and financing of infrastructure : historical perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1466, The World Bank.
- John Nellis, 2007. "Privatising Basic Utilities in Africa: a Rejoinder," One Pager 31, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Clive Harris, 2003. "Private Participation in Infrastructure in Developing Countries : Trends, Impacts, and Policy Lessons," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15124, July.
- Emanuel Idelovitch & Klas Ringskog, 1995. "Private Sector Participation in Water Supply and Sanitation in Latin America," Reports _017, World Bank Latin America and the Caribean Region Department.
- Antonio Estache & V. Foster & Q. Wodon, 2002. "Accounting for Poverty in Infrastructure Reform: Learning from Latin America's Experience," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44108, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ruiz-Villaverde, Alberto & González-Gómez, Francisco & J. Picazo- Tadeo, Andrés, 2015. "The privatisation of urban water services: theory and empirical evidence in the case of Spain," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 31, pages 157-174.
- World Bank, 2015. "Private Sector Delivery of Rural Piped Water Services in Bangladesh," World Bank Other Operational Studies 24784, The World Bank.
- repec:spr:waterr:v:31:y:2017:i:8:d:10.1007_s11269-016-1495-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:juipol:v:48:y:2017:i:c:p:176-183 is not listed on IDEAS
- Capuno, Joseph J., 2014. "Public–Private Service Delivery Arrangements and Incentive Schemes in Developing Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 387, Asian Development Bank.
- Ouda, Omar K.M. & Al-Waked, Rafat F. & Alshehri, Abdulrahman A., 2014. "Privatization of water-supply services in Saudi Arabia: A unique experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 107-113.
- repec:eee:juipol:v:48:y:2017:i:c:p:122-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marja Hirvi & Lindsay Whitfield, 2015. "Public-Service Provision in Clientelist Political Settlements: Lessons from Ghana's Urban Water Sector," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 33(2), pages 135-158, March.
- Gerlach, Esther & Franceys, Richard, 2010. "Regulating Water Services for All in Developing Economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1229-1240, September.
- Herrera, Veronica & Post, Alison E., 2014. "Can Developing Countries Both Decentralize and Depoliticize Urban Water Services? Evaluating the Legacy of the 1990s Reform Wave," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 621-641.
- Massarutto, Antonio & Ermano, Paolo, 2013. "Drowned in an inch of water," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 20-31.
- Philippe Marin & Eustache Ouayoro & Matar Fall & Richard Verspyck, 2009. "Partnering for Water in Cote d'Ivoire : Lessons from 50 Years of Successful Private Operation," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10529, The World Bank.
- da Cruz, Nuno F. & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2013. "Mixed companies as local utilities," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59761, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Philippe Marin & Josses Mugabi & Manuel Mariño, 2010. "Improving Water Services in a Post-Conflict Situation : The Case of the Management Contract in Kosovo," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10506, The World Bank.
- Independent Evaluation Group, 2010. "Water and Development : An Evaluation of World Bank Support, 1997-2007, Volume 1," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2485, July.
- Devkar, Ganesh A. & Mahalingam, Ashwin & Deep, Akash & Thillairajan, A., 2013. "Impact of Private Sector Participation on access and quality in provision of electricity, telecom and water services in developing countries: A systematic review," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 65-81.
- James Leigland, 2010. "PPI in Poor Countries : How to Increase Private Participation in Infrastructure Management and Investment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10510, The World Bank.
- Wren-Lewis, Liam, 2014.
"Utility regulation in Africa: How relevant is the British model?,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 203-205.
- Liam Wren-Lewis, 2014. "Utility regulation in Africa: How relevant is the British model?," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01109527, HAL.
- da Cruz, Nuno F. & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2012. "Mixed companies and local governance: no man can serve two masters," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59778, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbosa, Alexandro & Brusca, Isabel, 2015. "Governance structures and their impact on tariff levels of Brazilian water and sanitation corporations," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 94-105.
- Hugh GOLDSMITH & Dan CARTER, 2015. "Financing the Evolution of London’s Water Services: 1582 to 1904," Departmental Working Papers 2015-02, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
More about this item
KeywordsInfrastructure Economics and Finance - Private Participation in Infrastructure Water Supply and Sanitation - Water Supply and Sanitation Governance and Institutions Water Supply and Sanitation - Town Water Supply and Sanitation Infrastructure Economics and Finance - Infrastructure Regulation Water Supply and Sanitation - Urban Water Supply and Sanitation;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:2703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dvewbus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.